LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Another one of our doctors being investigated!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another one of our doctors being investigated!
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im ****ed as hell. We are losing our doctors one by one. I just talked to my old doctors office and they said the Texas Medical Board is investigating him and that there is nothing we can do cause the public is not involved.
When is this going to end? I feel like we are losing the battle. [confused]

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandi, the public does get involved when a doctor is targeted. Pm'ing you.
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can the public not be involved - isn't that who he treats ?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can we do to help him???
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked the receptionist if there is anything we can do and her answer was "no, cause the public is not involved."

Thank you Robin for your pm, I will contact her. I will let ya'll know more as the story unfolds. He is the only doctor i know in Texas that was treating lyme patients, and I knew it was a matter of time. I did tell her that we will pray for him.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Also, I heard through the grapevine that they (TMB) can view all our files without having to tell us? Is this true? That should be against the law!!!

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandi, thanks for letting us know. This is so sad. I will be praying for him!
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

I found out more info...PM me if you want to know.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so upset by this. He is my doc and this just irks me. I am getting so much anxiety for this. None of these doctors deserve this. What happens when they have taken all of our doctors down one by one. Sorry I am a bit emotional about this right now.

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago
http://www.crazylyme.com

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys,

This is ridiculous to say, "the public is not involved!" People have to find out the whole story and rally around this LLMD!! And contact people in other states to get help with raising h__ about it!

No way should anyone take this lying down. We can't afford losing another LLMD---or even one being harrassed like this. All of this is an outrage.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandi, I hoped that what I heard (about TMB investigating) wasn't true, but evidently, it is true. Please email me a tell me what's going on, as I often refer people to him.

[email protected]

Yes, it IS possible that the public is not involved. In Texas, anonymous complaints are accepted by the TMB, which means that insurance companies can have a field day if they don't want to pay (and they don't).

Texas used to have quite an autonomous system that made it difficult for a physician to be called-up by the TMB. This system was actually too autonomous. Now, it's gone to the other extreme...It's all such a crock.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Complaints are often called in by a spouse or parent who does not want to help with the financial aspect of good treatment.

More than one "investigation" has spiraled way out of control due to a family member being clueless/angry/mean. They are often ignorant about the complexity and severity - and the lack of expert doctors.

Sometimes, even a slight misinterpretation is what starts it. But once even a minor complaint has been made, and even if not well-founded, a doctor can well loose their license - and even if not - then fees for all patients go up as their insurance and legal costs rise through the roof.

It's bad enough when insurance companies go after LLMDs but it's also a huge problem when family members do this out of spite. Such "family member reports" are alarming in number - all due to lack of education, failure to communicate questions with the doctor first - or just sheer meanness.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caseyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is my doc and this seriously has me scared and really upset.

--------------------
Casey
1/7/10-Diagnosed with Lyme but got it in July 2008 and possibly 15 plus years ago

Posts: 105 | From Aubrey, Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Casey,

Many LLMD have been "investigated" and many continue practicing all during the time. I've heard about why this is going on and it seems unfounded, a gross misunderstanding that had nothing really to do with patient care.

Hopefully, it will blow over. But, yes, this is something that we all have to be concerned about. No LLMD is safe, it seems.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

Yeah I know why he is being investigated and I too think it is ridiculous. I guess i am just afraid that a bigger thing will come from what the complaint was about.

--------------------
Casey

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing and disappointing that this is still happening in TX, after a legislator held a hearing on this very thing more than five years ago.

That state medical board is the pits anyway.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard anything new about this?
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please PM me about the situation. Also, for the girl who said she didn't know of anyone else in TX treating Lyme, e-mail me at [email protected]

Our list has grown, there are more people that treat.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Email sent...... [Smile]
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anybody know exactly why? is it some po'd husband or family member who doesn't believe in lyme?

cause with the other doctor in texas, i think, it was sexual harassment. she won. but there were other problems too -- big problems.

so he is not treating lyme anymore. adn really i have no problem with this.

but this doc? man, what am i going to do? cause there is absolutely no way in hell that i can travel.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is the doc being hassled?

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Dr. W - he told me about it at my last appt.

He seemed very discouraged and mentioned that he doesn't know how much longer he can keep treating his patients.

He said the TMB wants to "re-educate" him so he can give us proper treatment. I was speechless.

Anyone with more info, pls pm me! I would do a lot to help him!

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes but why?

i bet it was a po'd husband who didn't like the fact that you have to pay out of pocket.

can someone tell me who filed the complaint? i still say a family member who doesn't believe in lyme.

that's the way it always is. other than the one i know about.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

That's unfortunate that he's being given a hard time. I know who he is.

--------------------

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the details either. He was so upset and I was so surprised that all I could ask was if he was ok (stupid question, I know).

I'd like to know why, too. He really is a very good man.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

This sucks. He is a good man. I go see him Tuesday so I will update if anything comes up.

--------------------
Casey

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As I understand it, basically, a patient's family member was upset about some misinterpretation or incomplete understanding of a business practice. The doctor did nothing wrong and should have been asked up front, personally, if someone had a problem with the way something was handled so that he could have explained.

But once anyone files any kind of complaint, life becomes hell for the doctor, staff, family and other patients - even if it was all quite in order.
-

Caseyk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23404

I wish I could go find that family member and give them a peace of my mind

--------------------
Casey

randibear
Member # 11290

another one bites the dust.

bet he won't be taking lyme patients soon.

crap...

i still say, dollars to donuts, it was po'd husband who doesn't believe in lyme and didn't want his wife treated or spending money.

[ 05-01-2010, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement