LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » any good recipes with quinoa?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: any good recipes with quinoa?
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or a good online source for good recipes? not sure how to incorporate it into our meals.

thanks, maureen

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a tabouli recipe and just substitute quinoa.
I make Quinoa Tabouli for parties and everyone raves. Never enough left over! I base mine on Mollie K's Moose wood cookbook.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to Smile's recommendation of my favorite "Moosewood" cookbooks, "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" also has lots of quinoa recipes.

Be sure to check out RED quinoa, too. It's very different and it's nice in that it need not be rinsed so it's easier to just toss some in soups or beans about 20 minutes before serving, etc.

You can do anything with quinoa that you would do with oatmeal, rice or pasta.

Just for kicks, I ran a Google search for "quinoa recipes" - lots of links look good. Here's the top one:

Recipes: http://www.quinoa-recipes.com/

============

www.quinoa.net

You can find regular and Red Quinoa here - and Organic Gluten Free Pastas. See the "Products" link.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from someone who has done a recipe that worked.

A friend tried one while she was visiting here and either of us thought much of it...so I have quinoa left over to try in another recipe.

I need something that does not have very many steps as the brain goes quickly.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Regular light quinoa: Remember to RINSE it first or it will taste awful. A very fine meshed strainer is needed. The first time I made it, it all fell through into the sink.

Red Quinoa does not need rinsing.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love quinoa-although my family is less enthusiastic. Yes to the tabouli with quinoa recipe! Also Deborah (sp?) Madison has great recipes including a delicious soup with quinoa, spinach, feta, potatoes. I use it instead of rice with Mexican and Central American recipes.
Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Last night, I created a dish that turned out to be surprisingly fantastic. Grains from the day before had been sitting next to a bottle of Pomegranate Juice in the fridge. They wanted to go out on a date together, I guess. Other stuff was all just last minute - what was in the fridge.

Left over from day before. Other grains could also be used such as Wild Rice or Quinoa. Red Quinoa will probably work better than regular in this dish, though, as the red quinoa has more body. The regular, light quinoa can turn to mush and would burn by the time the vegetables got enough steam to cook.

To cook grains the first time with pomegranate juice might cause the pan to burn, though. Grains could be cooked with 3/4 of their water and then add the remaining 1/4 liquid as pomegranate juice near the very end of cooking. Re-steaming with pomegranate juice brings a much more intense flavor, however.

-------

POMEGRANATE INFUSED GREEN BEAN SALAD

Prepare in a wide saut� pan. Building as you go from the bottom up:

WHOLE GRAINS. Equal parts: Buckwheat, Bhutanese Red Rice, Chinese Black Forbidden Rice (see the LOTUS website). Cooked the day before.

POMEGRANATE JUICE, (unsweetened) adding frequently as the grains are steamed hot the buckwheat, especially, seems to really soak this up. Once this has reached temp, keep to medium low so it won't burn.

WALNUTS

CRANBERRIES Dried (Fresh or Frozen could be used)

TOFU Place slices on the top to steam.

SEASON with: Cinnamon, Nutmeg (put onto the tofu slices as they are added)

Sliced BEETS (thin so they can be lightly steamed, keeping a crunch)

LOTS of GREEN BEANS (added last and steamed to just a bright green, keeping their crunch).

As serving: Drizzle with a little Walnut Oil. Dash of Salt. Dash of Stevia (as the pomegranate juice is very tart). Clove oil - stir in just a drop or two.

-----
Fresh Mint to garnish might be very nice (but I did not have that so can't say for sure).

Starting with a saut� of RED onions or shallots might also work very well. Stirring in finely chopped red onions just as this is being served could also be an option.

Good cold for breakfast the next day, too.
-

[ 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a fabulous quoina recipe. But, it has quite a few steps.

We love it. Makes 8 stuffed pepper halves. They can be reheated at another time.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/PEPPERS-STUFFED-WITH-QUINOA-CORN-AND-FETA-CHEESE-50015976

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quinoa has protein, but is considered more of a grain than a protein source.

From Wikipedia:
Quinoa (pronounced /ˈkiːnoʊ.ə/ or /kwɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish quinua, from Quechua kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a grass. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds.

There's more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by OptiMisTick:
There is a Quinoa pasta!!

http://www.quinoa.net/145/index.html

I love the quinoa pasta OptiMisTick highlighted. It's my fav pasta, but pricey. I wait 'til it goes on sale and stock up. NOTE: It's corn + quinoa, so if you can't eat corn beware.

On that thread, I eat corn pasta more often 'cause it's cheaper. Never buy rice pasta anymore 'cause it just turns to mush and I make brown rice all the time.

Yup, quinoa pasta rules!

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quinoa rules!

Kam - Keeb was right about rinsing; very important. May have left a bad taste in your mouth. [Razz]

Val - That soup sounds great! Gotta find a cook...(my hands don't do well with chopping potatoes, etc) I'll try quinoa w/ Mexican fare. Thx.

TF - I may try the stuffing only from the recipe you sent. All sounds good, but I gave up bell peppers (possible contributor to inflamation and high price for organic peppers). Pesticide levels in conventionally grown bell peppers are too high.

Opti found numerous tempting recipes. Thx. Note that on a true Candida control diet, we avoid all vinegar, soy sauce and tamari. Substitute fresh lemon or lime juice, or Bragg's Liquid Aminos.

Found YUMMY new item at Trader Joe's: Quinoa Duo w/ veggies sold frozen. It's white quinoa, zucchini, sweet potato, red quinoa, tomato sauce, onions, etc plus cayenne & red chili pepper. Excellent! [Smile] Rates high side of "Medium" spicey. High-quality protein & fiber. Just 6 min in microwave. Drawback: contains soy sauce, but that's 10th on ingredient list. I'll keep this on hand and probably eat 2x/wk. Enjoy!

MDW005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy these packets that are already put together for me

The company name is: Garlic Clove Foods.
One of my favorites is the Santa Fe Pilaf... It's a mild southwestern blend of bulgur wheat, quinoa and black beans.

it cooks in only 20min.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MDW005:
Santa Fe Pilaf... It's a mild southwestern blend of bulgur wheat, quinoa and black beans.

Hi, MDW005. When we're all on Candida control diets to keep yeast in check, we don't eat bulgur or any type of wheat. But we need all the quick & easy ideas we can find to get good nutrition without exhaustion!

A quinoa dish w/ SW flavor could use black beans, corn, cilantro, and lime (for those without corn allergies!)

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember to smile, here is a link for candida foods... Bulgur wheat is fine to consume.

http://www.candida-yeast-explained.com/candida-food-list.html

--------------------

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

I did not find nutritional expertise on the part of the blogger on the link you provided.

Here's a colorful list of grains that's easy to read & comprehend at a glance. Foods are coded green, yellow (caution) or red (avoid) from csaceliacs.org
Bulgur is red; off the diet.
Grains & Flours in a Gluten-free Diet

See also
Candida Diet Foods
This second link is for a more complete list of "Foods to Eat Freely" (on one page, black on white). Bulgar is the first thing listed under "Remember, NO YEAST."

Possibly there's confusion between bulgur wheat and buckwheat, which isn't even "wheat" at all. Buckwheat is Amaranth and CAN be eaten without aggravating yeast. Nice, hearty grain that's perfect with pork dinners. I've long added carrots, celery, and garlic to buckwheat kasha while it's cooking for a one-pan side dish. Sometimes toss in broccoli or green beans, too.

MDW005
Member # 22706

My apologies, I didn't do enough research.

But Maureen 2174 didn't say she had a candida issue she was just looking for good recipes.
Again I am sorry.
Diane

--------------------

Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Dear MDW005,
Apology accepted & no offense taken. We're all here sharing ideas and offering our experiences in hopes of assisting others trying to survive (and soon thrive!) in this Lymie world... Not one of us can do all the research on our own. Don't be shy about posting again.

Meanwhile, I supplied a crumby link for my second suggestion! Please see
Candida Diet Foods to Eat Freely pg 1 of 2
and
Candida Diet Foods to Eat Freely pg 2 of 2

I noticed Maureen was looking to incorporate quinoa into "our meals," so I took that to mean a Candida control diet as per ILADS treatment guidelines.

Other boo-boo on my part: I've posted that we can eat pecans & walnuts, but was reminded today that those two nuts can harbor mold because they aren't smooth like almonds. So, everyone be cautious!

I'm not a nutritionist nor a medical professional; I've just been working on my Candida control diet for 14 yrs.

Best wishes,
Smile

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement