LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I'm pregnant! Not planned, now worried about Lyme and will OB understand?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm pregnant! Not planned, now worried about Lyme and will OB understand?
Hope75
Member # 23611

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Hope75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out I'm six weeks pregnant. We didn't plan this, but here it is. Called my LLMD and he said he will put me on a "prophylactic" antibiotic, just don't know which yet. What about the baby?

I go to my OB June 2nd. I don't know what to tell her regarding my Lyme. Part of me wants to just throw it on her and take a stand - dangit - I have Lyme, chronic, believe it or not. But, I'm scared of what she'll say. Will she agree with the antibiotic?

I'm not sleeping well and having some panic attacks, which I haven't had in a year or two. This is tough.

--------------------
CDC Positive for IgM - Igenex
I am not a physician - FYI:)

Posts: 10 | From Mid Atlantic US | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!! [Smile] I would tell the OB about the Chronic Lyme and the new antibiotic. They should know about it. If they're not understanding or Lyme-literate, maybe your LLMD knows of some good, Lyme-Literate OBs. Good luck [Smile]

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you are treated all the way through your pregnancy, your baby should be fine. Good thing you know right away.

Yes, your OB needs to know but you may also have to find one who is Lyme Literate. You'll still want your LLMD to follow you and advise on tests and monitoring for the baby when she or he comes along. Many women have gone on to have successful pregnancies and health babies - if they get the care they need around this.

As for the panic attacks, get the facts and you'll sleep better.

Then, ask your LLMD about adrenal support and magnesium to calm down the anxiety from the stress hormone flood.

This can work out very well with the right support measures. Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!!!

Yes, you'll have to take a stand with your OB. If that doesn't work out, find a new one! (easier said than done, I know!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through the same situation last year, but I ended up having an early miscarriage.

Anyways, my OB was okay with my LLMD prescribing a prophalactic antibiotic.

I have found the best way to approach these doctors that don't really understand, is to NOT go in with a forecful attitude, like "you need to believe in chronic lyme...I am right and you are wrong!" DON'T do that.

It is good to act like you are flexible and open-minded. Don't act stubborn and rigid, because that is a huge turn-off to the doctor whose approval you want.

So what I said to my OB was, "because of my history with Lyme, this doctor believes the safest thing for me is to take Amoxicillin prophalactically during the pregnancy, since some studies show it can be passed to the baby."

I just say it very humbly, not like I know better than the OB. They might tell you that they don't think you need it, but just calmly say that you and your other doctor talked it over, and this is what you feel most comfortable doing.

When you act like you are very sure of yourself, they feel like it's their job to correct you. When you act like you are aware of the possibility of Lyme, but are flexible and are trying to make the best decision possible, they are more likely to trust you and the other doctor's judgement.

I hope that makes sense. In a way it is misleading, because you obviously have made up your mind of what you want to do. But I have found that going in with that attitude has brought me the most success.

Doctor's hate being "told" how it's gonna be. So you just need to be sensitive to that.

At the end of the day, you aren't asking your OB to prescribe the antibiotics, so he/she is just going to have to trust the other doctor's (your LLMD's) judgement.

I think you will feel a lot better once the first OB appointment is over, and you know what her attitude is about the antibiotics.

Your baby should be completely fine with your takiing the meds. Are you taking Amoxicillin? My recommendation is to take it every 8 hours on the dot (break it up into 3 daily doses if possible), since it stays in the bloodstream for a short period of time.

That is just a conclusion I came to by doing my own research.

Anyways, congratulations and best of luck!!!!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!!!

I would have had to change OB's. Mine thought I just had "normal" symptoms and was ultra sensitive to them. I mean, I complained about fatigue, nausea, etc., which are pregnancy symptoms, but he didn't *get* to what extent I was talking about.

I dropped him after 17 years when he ridiculed, yes ridiculed my Lyme diagnosis and said my LLMD was likely a scam.

But I know there are more open docs out there, especially if they're not the ones treating the Lyme.

BTW, I had 5 healthy babies (one of my six kids is adopted). One of my children did get Lyme after a tick bite and is fine today.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on omnicef and zithromax my entire pregnancy. Baby was negative at birth. We are due to test again now just waiting for the money and means.

I wish I had treated babesia(well I did, but it wasn't gone) and bart before, but he was a surprise.

Half the battle is knowing what you know about lyme and co and where to get help if your babe is sick.

Also, please, please don't breastfeed. It is a really great risk of transmission and many of the best LLMD's recommend against it. Lots of babies are healthy on infant formula alone. Lyme is too debilitating.

And...CONGRATULATIONS!

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations [Smile]

I just wanted to tell you that I've had Lyme for a lot of years and I have two healthy kids!

I took rocephin and zithromax all through my pregnancies and both my kids are negative for lyme! (although were positive for a coinfection that took just a few months of treatment for them). If your ob isn't ok with your treatment keep looking until you find one that is!! Your baby's life may depend on it.

I also second the no breastfeeding. It's just not worth taking a chance of passing lyme on to the baby.

Sending you lots of hugs and I'm always here if you need someone to talk to all about this!

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps you should sign up for the yahoo group preglyme. I think it is no longer very active, but a lot of useful past posts are there.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Blinkie. Don't breastfeed.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement