LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » BettyG's Husband

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BettyG's Husband
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure whether to post this here, but it is a medical subject. Guess it can be moved if this isn't the right place for it.

Just thought I would let those of you that care, BettyG's husband is in the hospital in pretty bad shape. He also had a heart attack along with some other complications. I think she has the same email that she always had in case any of you wanted to send some positive thoughts their way.

Hugs,

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx for letting us know -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks icey.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting us know ICEiam.
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Icey,

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure that even if there is any good news regarding prognosis, this is still very challenging. Please keep us posted.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have her email address. Could someone please PM it to me?

Thanks!!

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to general support

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know BettyG when she was on here, wasn't here yet I guess. But I've seen her previous posts when searching for other things.

Positive thoughts and prayers her way.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that!! That's a really tough thing for both.

Hope to hear he is improving very soon!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyrlb
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ICEY, thanks for sharing. So sorry to hear about BettyG's husband. They are in my prayers.
Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] Sorry to hear the bad news.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! I hope he's going to be alright.

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be praying for them too.

BettyG was a kind and generous person. I do miss her.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope everything turns out well for both of them. They've both been thru enough pain, it's not fair.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for telling us about this.

I will pray for them.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Betty G and her posts. I know not everyone agrees with that.

I don't have her email, so please pass along my good wishes.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A "thinking of you" email has been sent to Betty to see this thread. She replied, thanking everyone. note below.
-

[ 06-08-2010, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Betty praying for your husband.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending love and support to you Betty.............. [group hug] [group hug]

One day at a time.

You and your husband are in our thoughts and prayers for a better tomorrow.

Greta

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Betty's Husband and Betty >>>>>,

Prayers going up for smooth quick recovery and freedom from pain as quickly as possible.

May peace and freedom from pain and worries descend on both and stay !!!

May His Angels minister healing with Love and Light!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi...thinking and praying

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
BettyG thanks everyone for their kind thoughts. Her husband is stable and they are figuring it all out from here.

Here are some of the details:

- "Mild Heart Attack" was an early diagnosis. "Possible heart muscle damage" (apparently, he'd been lying on the floor for hours though the wee hours of the morning until daylight).

- EMTs had a difficult time and Betty had a harder time talking him into going to the hospitial.

- Later, Echo cardiac test showed "normal"

- "so to have the chemical IV STRESS TEST in future when he's up to it within the next 30 days."

- "we'll get home health care coming in and physical, occupational therapy as needed; i'll now how a whole new life with him! he was SELF SUFFICIENT prior to june 2nd; no more!"

- he's unable to walk and (usual) tremors are worse.

- UTI dx - one month levaquin Rx

- hospital stay has had difficulties, to say the least

- many unanswered questions and more diagnostics to consider

- Betty says: "thank you dear lyme friends for all your good wishes"
-

[ 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least they caught it early despite the crappy testing and hours on the floor. [shake]

The Urinary track infection was diagnosed as well but unrelated, right....that's what UTI stands for? If so, I'm sure that was painful and a relief to get care for that.

If I remember right, Betty's hubby was like my Dad as a patient. [spinning smile] Only saying so cause' that means she needs even more of our support.

Big hugs BettyG. Knowledge is power and in this case, longevity.

Tell your hubby your the boss and do as the doc says (if you agree with it).
[kiss]

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Betty! [group hug]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

Prayer said for best outcome! [group hug]

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
update/synopsis/excerpts

Quotes are from Betty. The rest is my interpretation of events from a compilation of emails.

06/10/2010

"dear friends, family, and online buddies [Smile] "

"HE'S HOME!! TOTALLY SHOCKED BOTH OF US!"

"WITHOUT WALKER walking carefully to bathroom 10-12' away next room. he made it back fine."

A friend brought by some food and ``hubby ate more than all week in hospital''

While Betty was out mowing lawn, ``HE'D FALLEN AGAIN!''

EMTs called. They asked: ``how did i feel about him being home and obviously so weak. i told them i was upset them dismissing him so early when they tlaked about friday being dismissed unless he went to rehab. if we needed them again, to call.''

``he used the walker willingly after the 1st emts stressed to use that.''

Seems like the EMTs had to come back again, too. (my eyes jump around and I missed some stuff but that is what I gathered).

Things not going well, though. EMTs said if they had to come again, they'd have to take him to the ER and that they really should consider the rehab facility. But - there's been a LOT of red tape around that.

Betty closes with: "so tonight we're home; tomorrow/night .. i expect him somewhere in hospital whether rehab or just back in a room, who knows!!"

Again, Betty thanks everyone for their very kind thoughts and wishes.
-

[ 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Keebler, for this info. Will keep them both in prayer.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so difficult!! My mother went thru the same thing with my dad. He had Parkinson's too. Either my brother would have to go over and help him up or Mom would have to call the EMT's if my brother was out of town or at work.

Heartbreaking when it keeps happening.

Prayers for betty and hubby!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent Betty an e-mail in response to all of this, but here's an extra [group hug] [kiss]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Update from Betty (synopsis)
---------

Thursday: ambulance at noon; . . . 2 emts; 4 firemen again.

HUBBY BROKE HIS ANKLE!! . . . ANKLE FRACTURE AT TIPIA - orthopedic surgeon will see him today. he'll decide if surgery is needed or just put a cast on him in next wk. or so!

[Parkinson's tremor, sweating getting worse.]

paraphrased: [Wants to have him tested for lyme but roadblocks to that. Lots of unnecessary roadblocks to just about every request or decision. Even the ankle fracture dx was different from different doctors ]

[after settled back into hospital] we both napped off/on; his ankle hurt him so bad; he got tylenol & pain med. couldn't get his neck/head comfy.

LOTS OF REHAB NEEDED NOW FROM NURSING HOME! and he may end up THERE for good now!

at this time they are thinking MON. OR TUES. GOING TO NURSING HOME FOR REHAB! now, perhaps the rest of his life, which won't be long IF he has to stay; it will hasten his end of life with QUALITY OF LIFE as he knows it.

he asked me NOT to pursue the addition to our home of extra bathroom/walk in shower, 3rd bedroom, office/pc/stereo music, vinyl records, & upstairs laundry room.

he said to wait ONE year; see what's going on with me if i can still live here or a nursing home. so i agreed i'd not pursue.

gotta go; really say the prayers for hubby/me NOW; this is a huge blow to us both.

thank you dear friends for everything; all the moral support online! hugs/kisses . . . Betty

================

email from Betty late Saturday night:

[all as expected, considering the situation: challenging, scary, searching for solutions]

"THEY'LL NOT DO SURGERY; WILL PUT A CAST ON IN 2 WEEKS after all the huge swelling is down."

===================

This is the thread of Betty's over at MDJunction where she updates - sometimes - just look for the latest entry:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support-forums/general-support/1561524-hubby-taken-to-er-admitted-to-hospital-for-observe/limitstart/50#1586364
-

[ 06-13-2010, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Update from Betty regarding her husband.

He settled into a room in a nursing home yesterday - estimated to be about a year before he could come home.

I find is shocking that each patient has to pay for their separate cable TV hookup and that their is no discount rate.

More below, in Betty's own words - yet excerpts:
---------

the good news: . . . drs. told him after going thru his iv chemical stress test .. NO HEART ATTACK as was 1st mentioned to us 2 wks. ago when he 1st went to the hospital

so it's now to deal with his BROKEN ANKLE

he said also the ortho surgeon will put a CAST on his broken ankle next week; to be on 6-8 wks., then a boot after that

he won't have a phone or cable tv in his room.

i thought the nursing home would be hooked up to cable tv, but no, EACH ROOM has to buy their own service so he can't even get our local 6-7 tv stations for the news, etc.

it was hubby's decision to stay in our city; so that left 2 choices; both are NOT the greatest nursing homes! this one is better than the other. [and just a five minute drive from home]

[She thanks all, again, for their kind wishes. Has dozens of emails to sort through so, for those who sent an email, it may take a while to reply.]
-

[ 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Icey and Keebler for the updates......Poor Betty!!!
Will send her an email.....

Gail

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the updates!!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez-I really hope and pray things start to look up for them. Makes my problems seem small!

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he at least have a TV and DVD player in the room? I wonder if we could collect DVDs and mail them to BettyG? You can also rent them at the local library.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Betty hauled the TV back home (sounded like an heavy TV) but will suggest this. Good idea. While portable DVD players are not cheap, maybe they know someone who can loan them one.

She said she had a mountain of emails to go through so I hope she checks back here to see that good suggestion.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That may work... unless they won't allow it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVD players are cheap now. Here's one for only $35 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00272NFVA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=5a826142-87bf-4d78-a745-4bcf882e24d1&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A2&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-strip e-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000204SWE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09MHT4Y0JDMBNQXQMX0W

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

And free shipping too. It could be shipped right to the nursing home; no lugging necessary.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty and hubby - would be nice if he can see responses here too -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyrlb
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, thanks for keeping us up to date. Prayers going up tonight for Betty and her husband.
Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

The latest from BettyG -

Her husband will be in the nursing home for 2-4 weeks max, if all things go well - NOT for a year...

Tracy - thx for the DVD suggestions - will take some over tomorrow.

Tracy - could you use a tinyurl on that long link? The link went superwide, too hard to read. Thx -

Thanks all for your hugs, prayers, thoughts and blessings for my hubby/me!

BettyG, Lyme activist extraordinaire (ok, that's my term for her [Smile] - Robin)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Robin,

Thanks. It so good to hear of the new - and much shorter - time estimate. When they were first told a year, it seemed like forever.
-

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the update
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Robin, I hate to admit I don't know how to do a tiny url.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Tracy,

Here you go. A long URL can be copied and pasted here:
---------------

http://tinyurl.com

TINY URL

===============

The tiny url for that amazon link is:

http://tinyurl.com/279t7n7
-

2roads
Member # 4409

Oh, thank goodness it's not a year, but just a few weeks.

That should have been that way earlier so he was not weak and released to brake a bone [cussing] ...those bone heads.

Sending bettyg hugs and love.

It cannot be easy watching your husband go through this.

Hopefully, they will get to the bottom of any unwellness while he is receiving therapy...even if it is lyme.

Thanks Keebler and Tracy for keeping us posted-

2roads

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement