LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I'm thinking about a tattoo...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm thinking about a tattoo...
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about getting a bull's eye tattooed on each butt cheek. I mean, if the hubs is going to have to give me daily rocephin shots for months on end I should maybe make sure he can get it in the right spot [lol]

Seriously though...I love him for being willing to do it (he has no medical training and hates giving me the shots). But I'd like to not have a repeat of last nights hitting the sciatic nerve shot...

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! I am with you. My hubby gave me the injections for 14 months!
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH my!! I would probably never have another shot again if someone hit my sciatic nerve!! OUCH!!!

funny story about the tatoo though!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Very funny. Too bad for the lack of target practice on his part. You could get a water based magic marker and have some fun with this one. Just let the "ink" dry before getting dressed again. and then, face toward a mirror when he sees the target - so you can see his face ! Or tape a bullseye cut-out from construction paper on your behind !

I had a nurse once hit the sciatic nerve with a magnesium shot. It was excruciating. I hope you feel better soon. It may take a while, though.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just looked at a picture of where the sciatic nerve is, and I am shocked we have never hit it, because that is basically where we do my shots.

I have heard you are supposed to ideally do the "upper outer of the upper outer quadrant", but we don't because I don't really have enough fat/padding there, and so it is more painful the higher and further out we go.

Which direction did he go too far in? Further down than usual? Further in than usual? I am worried it'll happen to me!!!!! EEEEEK

So sorry! At least you can laugh about it. I think it would give me PTSD, because I get really scared when something unusual happens surrouding the shot. Been doing it for quite awhile though.

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having tattoo's on your your butt cheeks would make sex night more interesting! Just kidding. Funny stuff. Go for it.
Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recieved a shot this evening from my honey... already bruised! LOL

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good heavens, i was getting all ready to tell ya not to ever get a tatto......

uh, mine would never do it tho...seriously...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this time he gave it lower than normal...I realized it when he stuck me, but just let him go ahead (didn't realize how MUCH it would hurt!!)...he hates it so much I didn't want to make him nervous...lol.

Once he got so nervous that he stuck me, pulled the needle out and stuck me again!! oh yeah...I was not happy with him. I wasn't about to risk that again!!

Seriously though...he's amazing for doing it and never complaining...I know he hates it.

--------------------

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all are making me cringe talking about your husbands giving you shots in inappropriate spots! Please be careful.

Run a google search and familiarize yourself with the diagrams on dorsogluteal (butt area) and ventrogluteal (hip area) injection sites.

If you feel like you do not have enough padding or are unfamiliar with the dorsogluteal sites, don't use them! Don't risk injuring yourself by hitting a nerve or a deep blood vessel.

I found the ventrogluteal sites are easier to locate, less painful, and less risky.

It might also help if you stand, look in the mirror, find the right injection site, and mark an x with an ink pen on the spot where you want your husband to do the injection.

Take care!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize I'm new here, and to Lyme Disease. But does anyone else see the irony in talking about getting a bullseye tattoo?

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yeah, gotta catch- or make - the laughs were we can !
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should get a tattoo of a bullseye rash. At least then the darn IDSA docs couldn't say I don't have that as a reason to deny treatment.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the thought of a bullseye tattoo is funny. The husbands hitting the siatic nerve, not so funny.

I actually read this thread because I've been thinking of getting a tattoo when I'm well. It would be a constant reminder of how far I've come. I love butterflies and I think that the symbolism would be perfect.

Is it possible to get a tattoo over a scar? I would like to get it on my ankle but both ankles have been affected by ACA. The skin resembles purplish scar. If not the ankle, I would put it on my foot.

What do you all think?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sammy,

While tattoos can be pretty, they are very toxic. Most of the dyes contain some of the same substances from petroleum products used in automotive paint - and heavy metals are also a huge issue.

It also impedes the skin's sweating out of toxins. We need all our sweat glands to function properly - otherwise there is more strain on the kidneys and the liver.

There are so many other ways to enjoy color and art that don't involve depositing mercury or petroleum under our skin.

========================

What's in tattoo ink:

http://www.tattooinfo.net/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/tattoo_inks_toxic.php

http://www.speciation.net/Public/News/2008/10/02/3837.html

----------

http://www.speciation.net/Public/News/2008/10/02/3837.html

FDA Will Review Toxic Tattoo Chemicals - (02.10.2008)

The FDA has launched an investigation into the chemicals contained in tattoo and permanent makeup inks, as well as their potential health consequences.

Excerpts:
. . .

The European Commission had sent out a warning already in July 2003, where they asked 'Would you inject car paint into your skin?,' that somehow was summarizing the possible health risks associated with tattooing.

The report of the European Commission said most chemicals used in tattoos were industrial pigments originally used for other purposes, such as automobile paints or writing inks, and there was little or no safety data to support their use in tattoos.
. . .

One of the chemicals known to be used in tattoo ink is thimerosal, also called thiomersal, an organic compound containing ethylmercury.

In the US, thimerosal is commonly included in tattoo inks, vaccines, antivenins, and eye and ear products as a preservative. Due in part to mercury's toxic effects, thimerosal is very effective at killing off fungal and bacterial growth.

Mercury is a well-known neurotoxin . . . .

- full article at link above.
-

radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get a bullseye tattoo you can go to any doctor and go see look I have lyme disease, I got the bullseye! [Razz]
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

well shoot then, I'm in trouble...considering I already have several [Wink]

--------------------

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tatoos are actually scars.

Scars cause disruptions in the body's energy field.

And can sometimes cause dysregulations, where the body's communication system will not be working correctly. Especially any scars on the midline area.

Piercings are also scars.

We all have some scars that we did not choose, cessarean section, major surgeries, but know that to choose a scar, just for a design element, may be detrimental to your health. Especially if you already have a pre existing condition.

Dr. K. treats scars with procaine injections (neural therapy) so the body's regulation can finally be open and not halted by certain scars.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

I assumed that if I went to a professional that they would use the proper sterile technique, have the right equipment, and use safe ink. In this case, assuming safety may not be wise.

I also had never heard of scars disrupting the body's energy field. When I think of scars that cause a problem I think of endometriosis and contractures caused by severe accidents or burn scars. I never thought that a everyday simple scar would cause problems. Especially from a tattoo. Tattoos are so superficial.

lightparfait, how can we tell if a scar is causing a dysregulation or disruption in our body's? Is there anything that we can do on our own to treat these problems?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There are no safe inks or dyes for deposit under skin. Henna paint-on designs may be one option to investigate regarding if the skin could breath or what chemicals might be in with the henna. But the most colorful designs come from heavy metals mixed with petroleum products.

Scarring -in the sense of blocking flow to that section of body tissue - is inevitable with the way tattoos are done. It just may not be visible as the kind of scars with which we are most familiar but it permanently changes the way that tissue of the body works.

Sure, there are many who've apparently done fine with tattoos, even with mercury and petroleum in the ink. They were lucky.

Still, there are so many who have clearly not been lucky. And, because lyme changes nearly everything about the way our bodies work, we have to be much more careful. We can barely afford even the slightest mistake.

We need all our skin to help us clear toxins and provide live tissue for our nerve fibers to do their job - nerves lie under the skin. We need all of our skin as much as we need all of our liver do its job. Would we kidnap a piece of our liver, take it out of service and infuse chemicals, in the name of art?

Our skin is actually an organ and its job is just as important as any other organ working hard to help us enjoy a good life.

However, there's another whole world of color, texture and interesting designs to explore with fabric and jewelry, textiles, wall art, etc.

Art need not be absent nor the artist unfulfilled.
-

[ 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the rock n' roll artists have issues with their health. lol.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyful:
But I'd like to not have a repeat of last nights hitting the sciatic nerve shot...

Hmmm... why is he giving it to you there??
It is for the reason of puting the sciatic nerve in danger that injections are now taught to be given in the upper and outer part of your gluteal region.

double check that with your doc.

<3

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement