LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Dog recommendations?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dog recommendations?
Blackbird
Member # 23679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend dogs based on how easy it is to see ticks on them, how happy they are mostly being around the house, and any other considerations you've found. The Xolo and the Chinese Crested seem like two breeds that might work because they're mostly hairless. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Posts: 30 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has a creme colored wheaton terrier.

Not too big,,,not too small.

Hypo-allegoric,,,or whatever that word is.

The hair is curly and hard to see attached ticks, but crawling across outside a good color.

Any fur is going to hide them,,,black especially

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wheaton terrier would be a good choice. They have fine, soft, light colored, curly hair. It would be easy to run your hands over the dog regularly to feel for ticks.

Of course I would also use a preventative like Advantix or Frontline to keep fleas and ticks away.

I have some friends with a wheaton. He has a very friendly disposition. Calm, easy going dog. Loves attention, loves to play with kids but not annoying like some terriers can be. He is also very quiet. Doesn't bark much. I'm not sure if that is characteristic with the breed or just part of his easy going personality.

If you want a certain kind of puppy, be sure to buy from a reputable breeder. Don't order online and don't go to a pet store. Those pups are often from puppy mills. Find a local breeder, go meet pup and it's parents. This way you will find a dog that fits for you.

You could also consider adopting from a shelter. People buy expensive pets and can't care for them. If you visit a couple shelters you will have your pick of young dogs that would make excellent companions.

When you find a dog that you like, visit a couple times. Take the dog outside for walks. Get them out of the shelter environment and see how they respond to you. That will give you a better sense of how they will act at home. And of course, no matter where you get your pup you will have to teach them the rules of your house when you bring them home.

Have fun!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a boxer. And because of his short hair it was easy to spot anything on him, even when he unfortunately got fleas.

They are great dogs-really smart and very loving but look scary to strangers.

They like to chew though so they can't be left alone without being kennelled most times unless you get lucky and get a better behaved one-I heard they exist.

Good luck on your search-definitely NOT a sheltie-we can't see anything on that dog-so when I pet him I'm constantly feeling on his skin and if I see or feel anything I'm all over it. So far it's only been dirt.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My other daughter has a hyper boxer. I like him but he is a BAD choice for a in town family house dog.

He has been operated on numerous times for ear growths AND was thought to have cancer once in one growth. He was going to lose the ear or more if so,,,but was benign,luckily for my grandson etc.

He also has long claws that scratch glass doors, floors and furniture. Hard to trim them also.

As he ages he is losing some puppy habits,,like all dogs they reflect their owners training. So basically untrained,,,hard to retrieve when escapes his bounds.

I could think of many breeds to own,,and a boxer is not one of them,,,sorry,,my opinion!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have owned several different breeds over the years. My latest sweety is a short haired dashchund. They are great indoor dogs. Don't need much exercise, low maintnence.

I suggest a red one though to see ticks better. Mine is black, but we have never seen a tick on her or a flea for that matter. We keep her protected with frontline every month.

Dashchunds are great if you are looking for a lap dog! Also they are so adorable with their short little legs and long body!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um, one of those hairless kinds? lol [Smile] (just kidding)

I would get something medium to small size if I could do the dog thing over again. My 50 lb puppy JUMPS and throws himself at me when he's excited. It's a bit too much for me and my kids.

My parents have a mini-dashshund that is awesome! Or maybe something with short light colored fur?

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, what about a bull dog? They're cute!

--------------------

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet you can't guess what I would recommend...
Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Cockapoo! I'd like to put a different spin on things. There is a web site that that will help you know which breed might be right for you.

They do not have the categories mentioned above but they do include: how much grooming is needed and how often, how much exercise is needed and how often, etc.

Dog intelligence

These would be things to consider too.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my chiauauas (spelling?). They are happy to lay in bed with me when I feel bad and keep me company. They don't have much hair, so you can easily see/feel things on them. And they love to get under the covers.

One of my chiauauas like to go for walks, but the other one is too little to make it, so we just put her in the back yard some to run around.

The two dogs also wrestle around some, and it funny as heck to watch!!! But, good luck with whatever you choose!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xolo and the Chinese Crested, really any of those "hairless" breeds get horrid,smelly, scaley, gross skin conditions if not properly care for.

Even if cared for, but poor breeding, poor diet etc. can raise your vet bills due to their skin problems.

Any dog with a thinner smooth coat would be a canidate. There are plenty of those breeds such as those mentioned above.

research, research, research.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bulldog. They are short haired. They dont like exercise or being outside much. BIG couch potato. Very much my speed. They do however usually require a lot of vet care. I would suggest VPI pet insurance to anyone getting a bulldog or a pup for that matter. Its like $40 a month.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need Lots of Help....

I can always remember how to spell that breed, because it's just

CHI HUA HUA !

I always had fun with that as a kid! Say it like that and it makes you laugh! [lol]

This breed is not ideal for Lyme patients.. but I dream of owning another border collie .. "just one more time"! [kiss]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

We have a smooth (short hair) Collie...and I love everything about him except that he's so hyper. I guess that could be because he's a puppy though? I'm hopeful that he'll mellow out.

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sammy on a shelter dog.

We have always adopted from shelters and have had really great luck.

Shelter dogs seem to be more appreciative, it's almost like they know.

Once a dog gets to know you they can sense when you're not feeling well.

We have 2 shelter dogs now and they are great dogs.

As also stated above, keep up with Frontline or Advantix and that will help a great deal with fleas and ticks.

When we take them camping, I spray them with Skin So Soft in addition to their monthly flea/tick prevention and they've never had a problem.

(Funny, our dogs didn't get ticks, but we did!)

I think as long as you keep up with some sort of preventative, it doesn't matter what kind of dog you get.

Brewers yeast tablets crushed into their food will also ward off fleas and ticks.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.petfinder.com has literally THOUSANDS of animals looking for homes.

When my service dog died a few months ago, just out of sadness I browsed and found my german shepherd Nico.

He needs me as much as I need him.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a wonderful shelter dog who was absolutely great. Plus so many are abandoned now, because of the financial crisis.

But I happen to agree with cockapoo. I'm new to this breed, but the pup I have is really wonderful: smart, funny, active, loving. He enjoys swimming and is a class A fetcher. A real cuddler who loves the cats and kids.

This boy loves to run in the woods, and thankfully, he's light colored, so ticks are easy to spot. Mostly surface, thankfully, because he's on frontline plus.

he's a really wonderful guy!

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dmc, is Nico white? if so, that's too weird...

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
black is bad..white is good-in dogs anyway

labs have great personalities but my vet says he puts down more labs from lyme or "liver-kidney failure" than any other dog and he is beginning to think it is cuz when ticks get into that thick hair that keeps the dog s warm in the water the ticks are really hard to find until they have done their thing

i need a 10 lb or less dog next time(cuz of my arthritis) and i will train it to use indoor facilities. i'm allergic and am thinking of a havernese...they have a rescue. many breeds do-another option to shelter

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellephant
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellephant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am a firm believer in saving dogs lives instead of supporting breeders who bring more into the world, causing an overpopulation and euthanasia [Frown]

i highly reccommend petfinder.com ... you can search by whichever breed you decide and save a dog's life!

i've adopted all 3 of my dogs, and they have been the best thing to ever happen to me [Smile]

Posts: 220 | From Kansas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

17hens,
Nico is a black & dk tan.

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Ok, not weird at all then. Just thought maybe you adopted the Nico I had looked at some months back. What a small world that would have been!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Train the puppy from the start to NOT kiss anyone on the mouth.

Then you can better enjoy romping and cuddling.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetutu,

Love the CHI HUA HUA, will never forget how to spell it again!!

All three of my dogs were from animal shelters as well.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to be tick-aware but be careful. I live in a park-like neighborhood where deer run through the back yard. Our found golden retriever mix loves the woods. We are outdoors people.

When Lyme came it sucked. And after two years and some change I am not sure it will ever not suck at least a little.

Since then I have thought a lot on prevention. the location of the house, and the dog seemed to generate the most exposure to ticks.

I decided not to let the ticks take what I love. The life I have here is the one I love. I decided awareness would be a good defense. I keep the grass shaved low around the house, and I brush Caroline often.

More than all else I spend time with her, scratchin her underside and rubbin her all over. If there is a tick on her I find it, and more often than not, I find it before it hooks in.

(Oddly this works for the rest of your fam too. You do not have to be like an ape. And it is good for everyone to be touched.)

If I had to choose another breed, and I will soon given Caroline's age, I know there are better breeds from a tick exposure standpoint. But from the overall standpoint I cannot imagine a better breed - a smart and sweet companion.

So I suppose if I were to offer advice, if I could I would tell you to consider tick exposure as a factor but not THE factor.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 6 rescued dogs.

Everything from a 100lb mix breed to a chihuahua/weenie dog mix.

Hairless isn't better for ticks.

I use advantix on my dogs.

However, occasionally still find ticks on them.

I do check them regularly.

Keep them out of tall grass and the woods too.

Actually, I am the only one who has had a tick on them lately. [shake]

I recommend a shelter dog too.

I will never buy a dog. I prefer to "rescue" them.

Or sometimes I think that they "rescued" me.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love labradors. they are the friendliest and most gentle dogs i know.

however they are LARGE. randi weighed 78 pounds but was the biggest baby you ever saw. ok, she was seriously spoiled. no, i mean rotten type spoiled.

if she didn't get her way she pouted. honestly, she would go sit in the corner and stare at the wall and if we spoke to her she would look around her shoulder and glare at us and then go back to staring in the corner. it was absolutely hysterical.

ah, i can imagine what children of mine would have been like. just like her. oh geez....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pugs are good indoor dogs who are generally extremely affectionate. They have an average lifespan of 13-15 years so you get to keep them a while. Use frontline to avoid ticks. They aren't much for running around in the weeds.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovemychaos
Member # 21633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovemychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one big black dog, and one bigger black dog.
(Sorry, couldn't resist! They are 100 lbs. and 160 lbs.)

One gets ticks all the time, even with treatment. The other one will sometimes get one around his eyelids.

The difference? The hair/fur.

My Black lab/German Shepard mix is a tick magnet.

My Newfoundland? with all that long black hair? Not a one, they can't make it through all that fur so they go for the face.

So there are choices if you like the longer haired big dogs.

edit: oops! After reading again, I see you're not interested in big dogs. Sorry

Posts: 10 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirk
Member # 24483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any dog with short hair and a light color will be a good choice for tick spotting. i have an australian cattledog mix with short red fur.

I treat him with frontline every month and check him after being outside every day ( I pull ticks off of him weekly in summer). I've also had him vaccinated for Lyme.

Posts: 41 | From astoria, new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement