LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » LLMD wont give test results over the phone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LLMD wont give test results over the phone
cityroam1
Member # 24787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cityroam1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is a policy others have run into? I had a co-infection test done and I called the LLMD to see if they got the results back. The office girl told me the test is back but she cant give me the results. I have to wait until the end of the month when I go in for my appt.
Posts: 75 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It may because so many LLMDs are up against some people so ready to drag them into court. Doctoring over the phone has gotten some LLMDs into major turmoil. This doctor is probably trying to hold onto his practice and not take any chance.

It's a very unsafe political mine field for LLMDs out there these days. The slightest misinterpretation can cost them, and their patients, staff and families - everything.

Of course, it's okay for a doctor to talk to a patient by phone but it could be that LLMDs just have to stop that in order to protect themselves. Also, if it's positive, you would have lots of questions and they probably don't have time for that.

I think if you call again and ask the doctor to give you just a quick call JUST with the results - and if you speak to a different person - you may have better luck.

I wonder if they would MAIL a copy of the test to you. That should be okay. Still, it's best practice to tell a patient in person but, yes, the wait can be very uncomfortable. You might ask to be put on the call list in case of cancellations.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityroam1
Member # 24787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cityroam1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just in his office on 6/23, I only go once a month and my next appt is 7/28. I told the nurse that if the test is positive I dont have any questions that can't wait till my appt. I just want to know pos or neg..

I asked her to fax me the results but she refused. She said I cant know the results until I come in on the 28th.

Posts: 75 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ohhhh. So sorry to hear of such a person. I wonder if the doctor knows of this. It really does sound too harsh.

As for a fax, you would first have to sign a release form but she should have OFFERED that to you. I think she should consider another line of work.

If you do make it to the next appointment, be sure to discuss this with the doctor. Then you can find out if this is HIS policy and, if so, why. He may not even be aware of it. The receptionist may just be lazy, or mean. It can take a while for even the best LLMD to find the right staff.

If it helps at all, whatever treatment you are doing may be what he'd want, anyway. I would have thought he'd see your test results and if any immediate change would have been necessary that he would have then called you himself. It may be that no treatment change is required at this time.

But it sure is not an easy feeling, I know. And I'd want to be able to know as soon as possible. I hope this is just a bump in the road and that things smooth out.

Wonder if this person to whom you spoke has a particular day off?

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityroam1
Member # 24787

Yea, I dont expect any change in treatment and quite honestly I dont have any questions about the co-infections, I just want to know pos or neg.

Just needed to complain to someone other than the dog.. [Wink]

massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask to schedule a time to talk to the doc.
As you only need a minute or two, emphasize that. Even a busy doc should have that time.

IME some staff think that they are "protecting" the doc by doing that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several, maybe all, of the LLMD's we have seen will only discuss test results at the next appointment. I imagine they don't have the time to spend telling everyone their results between visits.

For us, most of the time, the next appointment is a phone consultation, so I think it is more about the time needed to go over results.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMDs nurse tells me test results over the phone. But it is a 3 hour drive one way for me and out of state so maybe that is why. I only go every 1 to 2 months for appts.

Some docs don't want their nurses telling patients in case the patient has a question that the nurse can't answer.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc's office has a policy to call you to let you know if your tests come back positive.

Otherwise they want you to call them and ask about the results, and they will tell you and fax a copy, but they will probably charge you for a phone call.

I think it should be your right to find out the test results if you want them. It's your blood, after all.

On the other hand, one time years ago I had a test come back "abnormal." The office just sent me a letter, which I got several days later, on a weekend, while I was home alone. The letter said something like "Your test was abnormal. This might or might not mean that you have cancer. Please make an appointment to follow up."

Okay, that was a hideous way to tell me. And I didn't have cancer, as it turned out. But I sure freaked out for a couple of weeks, when I couldn't reach the doctor by phone to ask for an explanation and had to wait for an appointment.

Most of the crucial tests for Lyme and coinfections are so inaccurate that knowing the test results doesn't tell you much anyway. You still need the doctor's expert opinion.

So I guess there are good and bad points to that policy.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cityroam1
Member # 24787

I have only been to 1 other dr who did this. They had me make an appointment within a couple of days to discuss the results. Once I got there, after worrying for 2 days.. He tells me my results are normal.

Hmmmm, bring me in to tell me my results are normal. $45 co-pay and charge to the insurance for an office visit. I get it..

I am not saying that is what the LLMD is doing but my trust level is pretty low when it comes to the medical profession.

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as we know testing is iffy and negative tests may be false negative, so I think when telling lyme results, it may well need some explaining as to the meaning of it, and what to do about it.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like having to spend 500 dollars for an appointment with a doctor just to get my results. I tell them to send me copies of my records by mail, including all test results. I'll pay for it, and screw driving 4 hours. Fortunately I have good rapport with one PA and have her give me the info.

Just my opinion.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a various ethical and legal reasons not to give out results over the phone.

Think about this..

1. I could be your snoopy mother-in-law, pretend I am you and call up to find out your test results ... or I could be your nosey employer. How is the docs office to know who is calling?

HIPPA laws designed to protect you can also get in your way.

2. The results may not be understood by the "normal patient" and if taken out of context, it could lead to depression, panic and even suicide. By being there in person the doctor is available for the off the wall questions as they pop up.

3. And I've had this happen several times before... the nurse or office people didn't know how to read the test results... many labs, many different kinds of tests. I've actually walked them though it on the phone to find out what I needed to know.

4. I've actually been told a test was positive when it was negative and the other way around on the phone.

Interesting too.. I had a doctor once that lied to my face about my test results. Yes, an Infectious Disease duck.

He didn't know the results were also sent to my other doc... who I'd been to see and gotten a copy from... and at my follow up with the duck ... before I could say I already had the test results (I was expecting treatment to start)...

He said "I got your lab tests back and they were all negative."

As sick as I was.. I hopped to and decided to NOT say I had them with me and when he tried to move on I questioned him about the results.

He again said they were all negative. I then asked specifically about the babesia test.. which I knew was positive from TWO different labs ...

And he again said they were BOTH negative.

Then.. believe it or not.. he had my chart open and he flipped through some pages and PRETENDED he was reading from the lab report and again said it was negative.

At that point I asked if he had contacted the doctor I had been seeing like he said he would. He said he had not.. but he contacted someone else.

Turns out it was a BIG IDSA guidelines duck.. a toad head at best... that he consulted with and later when I got my records from little ducks office I saw who he called and what they said. Little duck had hand written notes and BIG ducks comments in the column.

The BIG duck had said to IGNORE the test results and to NOT treat. The BIG duck said Lyme patients were nuts and other fine stuff... and basically undiagnosed me over the phone, even with multiple positive tests, a history of tick bites (documented by the way) and all the classic symptoms....

And the BIG duck did this without even seeing me.

Anyhow... I finally reached down to get my purse off the floor- where I had the rolled up lab reports that were sticking up out of my purse...

And I opened them up and started reading the results out loud to him... and all the while filling in the proper medications needed to treat the infections as I went along.

Needless to say little duck was shocked beyond belief that I had the test results and that I knew what they meant... and he turned red as a beet.

And he never did invite me to his annual BBQ.

Shucks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have sued his ###.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it sure wasn't ignorance. It was major malpractice. Evidently there is nothing that lyme deniers won't do. OK, Mr. President of IDSA, do you condone this behavior? Yes, and encourages it too. There aren't enough bad words to describe people like this.

Is there any reason we can't out this people on the internet? No lyme doc names, but why not the bad guys?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not even my jerkward primary will talk over the phone.

it's always make an appt even for questions....

sometimes i think it's all about money, period.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement