LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Your hobby- what do you collect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your hobby- what do you collect?
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a hobby? Needle point? Sky diving? Scrap booking?

Do you collect anything? Buttons? Potato chips that look like famous people? Baseball cards?

Tell us about it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll go first. Tying trout flies and fishing. Collected coins and stamps when I was younger.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect moss and cobwebs from non use

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect moss too! I guess I need to roll around more! Hahahahahahahaha
Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paint military miniatures and play historical wargames. I also like to write, which is becoming harder and harder.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to write, too John. I miss it, but I'm kind of simplistic in my thinking nowadays.

I tinker with recipes now.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't collect anything, but I like to do home decorating and I also like to go to yard sales to see what bargains I might find.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting post. Looking forward to reading more.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Apparently, and much to my dismay: adipose tissue.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler,

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually do collect hand-thrown pottery, but lately the pottery has started it's own collection... dust bunnies! [Big Grin]
Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit of a pack rat and collector.

I collect shot glasses from each state I visit for work. At least those don't take up much space!

My latest kick is collecting red kitchen accessories and small appliances, I even painted my kitchen chairs red (with a little bit of help from friends).

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a collection of shot glasses as well. Have some pretty unusual ones. And i have several antique cordial sets. I love the delicate glass. Ive stopped everything else tho causd i just cant clean and take care of a bunch of stuff anymore. [Frown]
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I renovate my house (for the last twenty year lol). My china cabinet holds my circular saw, drills, sander and all the other things I need.

Picked up my plumbing supples Monday, all ready to go just as soon as ....................... but I am wiring off all the pealing paint on my pciket fence, a couple of pickets at a time - how many days do I have before winter sets in.

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piles, and bags of piles.

I'm realizing I collect pictures that I can put up on my walls and "travel" through them. Especially of the current season.

Have some stunning island summer beach scenes up, even tho we're usually fogged in here - reminds me what summer can look like!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
granniela
Member # 17134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for granniela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to collect things I think I'm running out of when I'm at the grocery store. After purchasing I get home only to find a stock pile of that exact item in the pantry or the closet. Hmmmmm...I thought I needed another one...

Maybe it would be helpful if I started keeping a list of things I do not need to buy? Nah, I guess I needed a new hobby or my brain wouldn't have started working this way when I had to give up the old hobbies.

Posts: 67 | From the state of Lyme | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect cook books.

I had an extensive collection (over 600 books) prior to Katrina.

I only was able to salvage about 20 of those as they got wet when the roof went.

I am up to about 200 now.

I don't really use them to cook.

I just love to read them.

Go figure.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love decorative painting. I just started getting back into it. [Cool]

It looks like I collect painting supplies and surfaces to paint on..... [loco]

I have five long-coat chihuahua's so I guess I collect them, too. [bonk]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect bills....and lots of'em.

and when I'm not paying them, Collections is collecting me.

Other then that, I used to collect mini-spoons. Usually from somewhere I'd visited.

Haven't had any hobbies recently.

Thanks Tincup for helping me to remember I've been neglecting myself. [kiss]

Time to get back to the 'old me' mode and revisit some things.

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS- What say you Tincup????
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LA
Member # 26353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, my collections have consisted of doctor's business cards and my medical records, lol, what fun!

I like to collect Saint prayer cards and money from other countries.

Posts: 60 | From NJ | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Very interesting.

Military miniatures.. that is a new one for me. Just about everything sounds interesting, including the yard sales, but I'll have to pass on Just Don and Keeblers collections. HA!

I use to collect just about everything and anything. I guess pretty much everything fascinates me.. as does hearing about and seeing others collections.

I've collected some pottery, campaign buttons, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz dolls, baseball cards, coins, shot glasses, mini-spoons, books- (cooking, nature, medical, history books, etc). Sorry to hear it Geneal- I also lost most of my books during a hurricane too.

I loved wood working and refinishing antique furniture... and had a large collection of it at one point.

Problem was, I worked all over the country (military and job) so was having to transport "stuff" all over.. and I decided I finally had to stop collecting. Sold most of the stuff to pay bills after getting sick... broke my heart.

But the BIG clue to stop collecting everything came when I purchased an apple butter kettle at an auction one day -which I used to make apple butter for the community, so it WAS a practical item- but when bringing it home to my little upstairs apartment, aside from it barely fitting up the stairs, I had to first take it to a car wash to clean it up.

At that point I decided if I were to collect something it had to be something small and portable. Most consider it VERY boring but it fascinates me.

Any guesses?

And more answers please, I'm enjoying this little break.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Wonko! You did it.

For several weeks I've been wanting to bring out a can of fire engine red paint and paint my kitchen table. It is an old work shop square table that is very weathered... but I enjoyed it till now.

And funny you mentioned it, but I asked Santa to bring me red appliances this past year, but he must have been preoccupied, so the table it is! RED, RED, RED!

If anyone asks what possessed me to paint the table red, I'll tell them Wonko made me do it.

[lol]

And you know I will! Heaven forbid they think I am THAT crazy!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - now you can get some Really Bright green paint and make a red and green chess tabletop out of it.

And your boring collecting hobby - Mickey Mouse toys?

Don't worry - I would collect Goofy.

No, wait - you would collect little ceramic DUCKS!

These were fun to read - thx all!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I became interested in German steins after getting some from my grandfather, and then I found that I could buy pre-World War II steins on eBay.

I like the ones that show women in long peasant dress, children's fairy tale steins. and the designs of the Art Deco period.

I also like the Bavarian painted wooden plates from the 40's and 50's.
I have a few German wood carvings, but they are usually too expensive.

And books.....I have scads of books!

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect the good fortunes from Chinese fortune cookies. My favorite one "Health and Happiness are coming your way". And "You will step on the soil of many countries". Oh I long to travel again. There's so much I need to see!

Used to collect Beanie Babies when I was a kid. Stopped about 10 years ago but still have a couple hundred of them in plastic tubs under my bed. They are so cute I can't throw them away. Maybe one day I will have a child that can play with them.

I also seem to collect pens. I have them everywhere. Lots and lots of them. I have my favorites that I use and others are just there.

Also collect scrub tops. Both functional and fun. I do not buy the boring ones that everyone wears. They must be unique in some way. I have well over 50, stopped counting long ago. My favorite has owls on it. My newest one has koalas. I look forward to going back to works so that I can wear my fun scrubs again.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i collect cabana boys. [Wink]

and rocks.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

HA! I saw cabana boys before I saw who wrote the post and KNEW it was you!!!

And are the rocks to toss at people? If so, the collection should be rather small by now. You forgot to mention the cow in the bedroom too.

[lol]

Robin 364832645... how about a checker board instead? But fish would be fun too! Or a white table top.. no green. And fish on it! Red fish.

Carol in PA.. German Steins... that sounds fun!

Sammy- fortune cookies, beanie babies, pens and scrubs... such a wide variety! Nice!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to cook, so that's an active hobby.

In terms of collecting, I have a fascination with antique clocks--old mantel and desk clocks from the 1800s. Thing is that it drives me crazy if they're all running and chiming. I've cut back.

I also love to take pictures--especially pictures of people. Wish I knew more about photography; what I shoot is mostly pretty random.

I've just started writing again--writing for me and not just for my work--and that's been more rewarding than I can say.

Fun topic, Tincup! I've loved reading all the replies

andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tin.. ouch.

i don't throw the stones, actually, just find them, pile them, and marvel at their beauty.

sorry if you feel pelted.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup collects taffy,,she got some of mine!!!

Cept I think she ATE it!!

Or those funny looking kazooes or what they were called,,lap fiddles???

I almost remembered,, a dulcimer,,,thats it.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Andie..

Photography, so much fun! Glad writing is for fun for you too. I have a few old clocks... none work but they are all set at 5:00.

After all, as Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet say...

It's 5:00 somewhere!

[Big Grin]

Dilly,

Thought you'd have tossed your pile at all the ducks by now ... but if they are pretty rocks, and I do love rocks too, then it would be a waste of a good rock to throw them at the ducks... that is for sure!

I love the Smithsonian rock collections .. gems and minerals. So beautiful! And the arrowheads and spear points too.

And now that I think about it, if we were to consider tossing rocks at the ducks.. arrowheads might be better, ya think?

[Big Grin]

Just Don.. that candy I still consider some of the best I ever had. You ARE the candy man!

And you should hear that dulcimer play. Wish I could too! My musical ability never returned. Maybe some day? But at least the memories are there.

Oh and the candy I took back home with me... did I mention it melted and I ate it anyhow? I did!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Now that I think about it.. a candy collection would be really nice! And a smart thing to collect!

It is pretty, smells good, tastes good and wouldn't sit around long enough to gather dust bunnies!

THAT is my new hobby!

After I finish off the ice cream, of course!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

onbam...

I like fishing too. In fact, I had fresh fish for supper- white perch and catfish... my favorite!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Robin123
Member # 9197

For the rock lovers:

www.gimizu.de/sgmcol

www.gimizu.de/kabinett/index.en.html

For taffy (and lots of etc) lovers:

http://wallpapers.graphicfreebies.com/detail.html?640-candy4

You can google for anything listed above - German steins, red kitchen furnishings, etc

red fish emoticon at:

http://www.artpoker.net/emoticons.p2

[ 07-31-2010, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

2roads
Member # 4409

Is it pens or pencils Tincup?

How about key chains-

TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect Star Trek things. I have around 60 of the dolls (still in packaging), Ken & Barbie in Star Trek Uniform, games, books, models, posters, knick-knacks, TV Guides (which fit perfectly in a quart size Ziploc or as Ed McMahon would say "hermetically sealed!")and in general Star Trek "stuff".

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tx, I have some of the Star Trek Barbies, too. I have a few other Spock figures as well, still in packaging. I always liked the original movies and loved the recent movie with the new cast and plot.
Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

TC, if you were thinking of red appliances at Christmas, than you had the idea before me!

I moved this summer and it is my first house. I felt the kitchen just called out for the red, I had not planned it. My cabinets are in a cherry wood finish, I think that's what did it...

The table I have is round with a wood finish, then I bought unfinished wood chairs which we painted.

To "bring it together," I bought a wooden lazy susan for the table and painted it at the same time as the chairs.

I have a red microwave, coffee maker, knife set (wooden block, knife handles are red), kitchen mat, spoon rest, utensil crock, tea kettle, and kitchen towels/pot holders.

I have my eyes set on a dish set by the same manufacturer as some of my accessories, but am still shopping around.

Good luck with your interior designs!

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing Tincup's collection starts with "tin" and ends with "cups"?

Right or wrong?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Lyme wiped out my adrenals, I was an active skydiver with an instructor rating, world record participant, freefall videographer, and occasional competitor at the US Skydiving Nationals.

My adrenals are currently not where they need to be but still practice every other weekend preparing for Nationals in September. A break is in order afterward.

I also have 160+ BASE jumps which is my true passion. You will never feel more alive looking over the edge of a fixed object and taking that step to watch the ground rush. It took years of practice to get to this point and it can somewhat spiritual at times. Every jump is calculated and if the conditions are not right, we walk away. It is that simple.

Of course, trying to fit in work, family, fixer upper house, and this hobby is a juggling act but would not have it any other way.

99.9% of the population have no idea what they are missing. Now go make that skydive!

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I don't know Hens...but she's not playing fair by not answering our guesses.

Tincuuuup, where are yuuuuuuuuu? [tsk] [Razz]

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fatherguido,

I've pictured you as short, round, with a roman nose and wearing a long black robe with a white collar.

Guess I'm wrong.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! What a fun thread. Tincup collecting tin and cups...hmmm kinda makes you wonder how she (he?) came up with that name! Tincup, do you by any chance collect tin cups?

As for me, I collect medical records, medical bills and waaay too much paper. I also collect garbage bags in assorted sizes so I can get rid of what I call "personal debris" I can't stand clutter so I try to get rid of what I can when I can.

I give things to friends/family first, and then Salvation Army or Goodwill. I was donating to the Lupus Foundation, but their administrative costs turned me off. I wish we had a way to donate stuff to benefit those with LD.

My MIL was a collector extraordinaire (you name it, she had it), so I now have stuff I really don't want or need. Hoping the kids will eventually want or need it, cause it ain't staying here for long.

I used to collect shells and dolls (Barbie) but apparently OCD set in and I had to box the stuff up. This was a good thing....too much trouble keeping it all clean.

In addition to medical bills, medical records, and waaay too much paper, I collect dust bunnies.

I just began to collect appliances to control the dust and keep the place clean...Swiffer and some kind of floor steamer that threw my back out. Can't win for losing [Smile]

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyvreni
Member # 24416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyvreni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect smiles.

There's nothing more uplifting than smiling at someone and receiving a smile back. I smile at strangers, co-workers, someone in the grocery store, and say good morning, or have a nice evening, and then try to find small way to pay someone a compliment.

Despite being horrifically sick, good days and bad days, fears and tears, I set my first goal of the day to make someone smile. Once I accomplish my goal the rest of the day I take any opportunity I can to repeat it all over again.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow already.

Posts: 10 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Ooooh, ladyv, I love it!! That's what I want to collect too!! Would you mind?

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

17hens
Member # 23747

Well, first I was sure I didn't collect anything, but now I realize I collect Christmas ornaments.

Not just any ornaments, only ones from Germany and Hungary, where my grandparents are from. My Oma gave me some of hers years ago and so my collection began. I get maybe 2 or so a year and when I decorate my tree, I always think of her.

My kids have had opportunity to travel a bit and if they bring me something, it's a Christmas ornament. Hand made, old tin, straw, blown glass, very pretty.

I have enough now that i'm starting to save for my daughter's Christmas tree when she has kids.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladyv I love it too. Collecting smiles, now that's what I call a collection!

I give you a lot if credit. What a blessing it is that through tears and fears you are still able to send a smile to someone else.

For all you know, that person might be facing the same challenges as you.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hobby - pilates. I love it. I teach it.

What do I collect? Apparently, children!!!

I have a collection of dolls that my grandparents bought me when they traveled the world after they retired. They are just little, inexpensive dolls that they picked up in foreign countries. Now, when I get to travel, I add to the collection. My most recent addition was Germany when I went there for Bionic 880 treatment.

And Starbucks mugs. I love coffee, I have my own latte machine, and I love drinking out of Starbucks mugs .... they hold a lot!! They also have so many cute cups that there is usually one per season that I just have to have.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
I would collect Goofy.

So would I !!! [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Six, you already do!

Ladyvreni - love your attitude. And you're right, no matter how anyone's feeling, a smile is always a picker-upper.

And Tincup's name I'm going to guess comes from a Jimmy Buffett song, whose music I'm also going to guess she has collected...

And fatherguido, I don't think I'd have the guts to do what you do even if I was well!

[ 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Checking in and enjoying reading all the posts.

But no one has guessed what I collect yet. Sorry! Got to think "boring".

But ... now that I think about it... actually I do collect some tin cups. Maddog gave me one years ago, so now folks do give me one here and there on occasion. I have them hanging from a string in my office.

But they aren't boring. In fact, they are quite noisy when the breeze is blowing or I move them around.

Rattling all over the place!

[Big Grin]

I'll check back.. gotta go skydiving as someone suggested. Sounds fun!!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

What do you collect?

I would say cabana boys, but that's already been talked about. Tin cups, good idea.

Little spoons from all the different cities you've been to visiting various doctors and conventions?

Prescription bottles?

Shells from the time you spent in Florida?

Wind chimes to go with the rattling tin cups?

--------------------

AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Tincup, I called you out [Smile] So you DO collect tin cups afterall!

I bet you also collect shells from FL and antique stuff. Am I close??

--------------------

---Eleanor Roosevelt

17hens
Member # 23747

Socks are boring... so are empty milk cartons.

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

2roads
Member # 4409

Transportable and boring....??????

Completed Sudoku puzzles?

Post cards, hair clips, handkerchiefs, scarfs, pins-

Hair pieces [lol]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!! Thanks for posting this, Tincup. Very interesting and fun!!

I used to collect rocks.. stamps, coins. I have a few German steins too. Love them.

I try NOT to collect anything!! I tend to be a packrat too... so I struggle against collecting.

I used to collect antique ( or antique-looking ) women's boots.. you know the kind you put on the shelf? I've made a few out of ceramics, some my mother made. Some are Fenton glass, etc.

I also used to collect bells. Just all kinds of bells. Started when my husband gave me two crystal bells early in our marriage.

When we lost our house due to my illness, I stopped collecting, but still have my old collection in storage. I miss not having them around. They are in TX, and I am here!

I love Christmas ornaments too, but have only a small tree.. so that is limited too!

Since I don't have children, someone will one day appreciate the fact that I no longer collect!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

TC: chocolate wrappers and ice cream lids. No wait, supposed to be boring. Pens.
just don
Member # 1129

Tincup,

The MOST boring thing to collect would be drill bits. They bore for you every time you use them.

Bore on!!!

Or maybe you dont have THEE 'most' boring collection because I am here and you are there,,,and I am always told "I" am so boring!!!

ib-just don-

--------------------
just don

Joyful
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
books. I pretty much collect books and read [Smile] I love to cook too so I tinker with that a lot...writing my own recipes and making my family be my guinea pigs...ha ha.

--------------------
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...
Psalm 139:14
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

Posts: 113 | From down South | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The MOST boring thing to collect would be drill bits.

[lol] [lol] very cute!

OK, my guess is "golf balls"?

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know....salt shakers.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

How bout nothing? Tincup collects nothing. HA!

Oh, hey what do we win if we're right??

--------------------

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just don.. I'm still laughing at that one!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

You all are just too funny!

With you all naming "boring" things I now remember I actually do/did have a collection of other "boring" stuff that I'd forgotten about.

Now how boring is that? So boring I forgot! HA!

[lol]

Yes, boring golf balls is one collection! A couple hundred of them. But they are so boring they are packed away in the attic. To my credit they do all have special stamps on them from businesses and charity events... so not just totally boring plain old golf balls!

I also do have a lot of sea shells (hoping someday they become our national currency when the debt gets so high paper money isn't worth a toot).

Also have a collection of rocks, a big collection of old colored broken glass I collected from remote beaches, sharks teeth, tin cups, potato mashers, little bird houses, old wooden hand-carved duck and goose decoys, native American artifacts and religious statues.

Then there are fish statues, crab replicas, and underwater pretty creatures, miniature boats, etc. I use most of them on the Christmas tree.

Also some fun Cal Ripen and Harold Baines baseball cards (from the early years) ... along with some others.

And yes you smarty pants, I had a collection of the old crystal salt shakers that use to set at individual place settings.

Some of the stuff I sold years ago to pay bills after I got sick, so now I am curious as to what I do still have packed away.

But the BIG boring collection... 2 roads got it right. Post cards!

I like them, but it has always been a way to clear everyone out of the house whenever I wanted. "Mom's got her postcards out again- everybody run or you'll have to look at them!"

So what else do you all collect? I am enjoying reading about them.

And Just Don... how boring!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally Tincup! I have been reading for 2days waiting for the finale [lol]

I used to collect carousels....passed them down to my grandaughter.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog hair. Lots and lots and lots of it.

I even collect it in my own hair!

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH yeah!! I still have baseball cards from the 60's. I sold a few of them about 20 yrs ago, but kept the others. I can't remember which ones I had that were valuable that I sold. What a memory I have!!

I got about $30 for a few cards back then.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

I collect funnies. Here's one, abbreviated from a news clipping:

A convenience store clerk got a little unexpected help this week, as he tried to tell police about the man who had just robbed his store.

"He's about 5 foot 10," the clerk told police over the phone.

Then the suspect, who had suddenly returned to the store, spoke up to correct him. "I'm 6-2."

"About 6-2," the clerk said, "and about 38 years old."

"I'm 34," the man said, correcting the clerk. Then he asked for his wallet back, which he had dropped earlier when he tried to steal a bag of cigarette cartons and took off running.

A moment later, a deputy sheriff arrived and arrested the 6-foot-2, 34-year-old suspect.

2roads
Member # 4409

Yey [woohoo]
17hens
Member # 23747

Hey, I just remembered... I collect compost!

More specifically, kitchen compost, chicken compost, rabbit compost, grass compost, and leaf compost.

Mix it all together and you get black gold!

Now isn't that a strange collection?

[bonk]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Robin123
Member # 9197

Here's another one from my funnies composting pile, from Overheard On The Town:

"Stop calling your brother Ex-lax! That's not his name. Ex-lax is not on his birth certificate."

SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think smurfs, but no. =) I collect Coca-Cola stuff. Especially if it is authentic, like old blotters from the 50s, or giant plastic glasses used in restaurants. And Coca-Cola bottles. I have lots of those.

My mom even made me a Coca-Cola bucket. She painted the Coke symbol on one side and the Sprite boy and a bottle of the Real Thing on the other. =)

The old Coca-Cola Christmas stuff with the Santa is my favorite though. My kitchen is full of coke mugs, plates, pitchers, coasters, etc. And of course I have playing cards and lots of ornaments for the Christmas tree!

I also collect books. I got rid of over a thousand childrens book several years ago and have regretted it ever since. =( I pick books up every time I go to the thrift store. Mostly childrens books, but I also collect medical, homeschool, teacher resource, and Christian books as well.

My mom got me a set of medical textbooks for Christmas a couple of years ago. Sometimes when my brain is working, I'll just pick one up and start reading. =)

The last thing is daisies. I don't have many, but I'm a sucker for anything with daisies. A lot of my clothes have daisies incorporated into them somehow.

SmurfyMom

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH, I LOVE raccoons!! At my last teaching job, our school mascot was a raccoon. We chose it ourselves since it was a brand new school.

I'm a sucker for anything with a Texas flag on it or pictures of bluebonnets .. anything Texan.

You should see our bathroom! The shower curtain is a Texas flag and I have matching rugs and towels and all kinds of great stuff on the walls. People here get a kick out of it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement