LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Off Topic.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Favorite TV Show ... and WHY?

Author Topic: Favorite TV Show ... and WHY?
HungrySquirrel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26821

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HungrySquirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your favorite television show, old or new; what is it?

Oh, and this is important, WHY?

If you have more than one, that's cool too.

Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a bunch of "House"s ...

Okay, GO!

Posts: 150 | From n/a | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now my favorite is "The Amazing Race".

It's perfect - drama, excitement, travel, pulling for your team, etc., etc.

My kids and I love it.

And okay, I admit to keeping up with "The Bachelor" and "American Idol". [Smile]

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm housebound and often couchbound, I've got quite a few...I can't just pick one!

"Weeds" is awesome for a good laugh. You have to be okay with the raunchy stuff and appreciate it for how real it is, and how hysterical the script can be. I love it. Not many things make me bust out laughing, but Weeds does.

"Grey's Anatomy" when I'm not having the symptoms that the patients on the operating table are, of course. It's SO well written. The finale blew me away. I watched it four times!

"Survivor" has been a favorite since I was probably...I don't know, 13?

"The Bachelorette" I hate the concept but love the show. It's so entertaining!

"So You Think You Can Dance" I was a dancer growing up so I can appreciate really amazing dancing. Dancing with The Stars is so lame...it kind of irks me. lol.

"Friends" I've seen every single episode of all 9 seasons but it never gets old. I don't think they'll be another tv show like it.

"Brothers & Sisters" I think this is one of the most amazing shows I've ever watching. The writing is so good...and it's all so realistic and current...and I love the family dynamics. I bet everyone could find a character that they could relate to in some way or another.

Okay I'll stop there since I could go on forever because sadly, this is kind of the extent of my life right now. lol.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ghost Hunters" because I'm really interested in paranormal stuff, and I love their way of explaining things that makes sense--whether they're actually finding evidence of haunting or finding everyday explanations for what's happeneing.

That's actually where I learned about EMF sensitivity.

Oh, and did I mention GRANT WILSON IS A HOTTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HungrySquirrel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HungrySquirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Starfall1969, I'm going to have to disagee with you, "Ghost Adventures" is were it's at, LoL.

Come people keep 'em coming!

Posts: 150 | From n/a | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it used to be LOST but unfortunately it has run its course. Why you ask...for one Josh Hollaway (Sawyer) is real easy on the eyes! Also I loved the suspense and guessing week to week about what was happening.

Love Hell's Kitchen because I used to be in the restaurant biz...how true to life it is!

Biggest Loser...because it inspired me to join a gym and enter their Biggest Loser contest.

For a good laugh...Big Bang Theory is a riot!

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have mentioned this in "Off Topic," but I love Parks and Recreation on NBC. It's in the off season right now, will be back in Fall.

Love almost anything on Bravo. I like reality TV a lot....kind of like what LittleLymie said....not really because of the concept, but just because it's interesting to see what people do.

Some of the stuff on reality TV, you just can't make up. And it's interesting trying to figure out the genuine from the fake.

I thought the Bachelorette this season was awesome, the finale! You can tell her and Roberto genuinely are in love. At least for now.

"The Soup" on E! is hilarious. It's funny, living in LA now...I will sometimes meet people who write for shows, or whose close friend writes for this or that show. Kind of neat to see what kind of people come up with this stuff.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like "Mad Men." The writing is smart, the drama about the advertising business in the 50s and 60s is interesting, as are the characters. the directing is outstanding, which is probably why it walked away with so many emmys.

I always tape a show called Last Chance Highway, about dog rescuers who find, rehabilitate and ultimately transfer dogs to new families in the NE. I really applaud their work and passion.

And because I love food, I watch "Chopped" and enjoy it.

The other show I like is "Damages" with Glen Close. It's a dark legal drama that's had people like Martin Short and Ted Dansen as guest stars. I appreciate TV that's well written and takes some risks.

I( agree with LittleLymie about "Brothers and Sisters," but I've never even been able to make it through some of the reality shows, like the bachelor, etc.

And I second a shout out for the Amazing Race. I watch it every season.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HungrySquirrel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26821

OoOoOo "Mad Men", I LOVE that one!

Above and beyond the content of the show itself, I love how the actors stay true to the era itakes place in with the wardrobe and such.

... and "Chopped" OMG LOVES that one too!

When I was able to think clearly (I hate that it was only 5 months ago.), I would do something like that over my some of my friend's places ...

Let me tell you, those chefs had NOTHING on me, LOL ... except for 2 of my friends who are actually chefs, the others barely had anything "edible" ...

I'm sorry, but in my book Corn Pops are NOT "edible", they're like flavored packing peanuts.

One of the more sucsessful ones was:

Cocoa Puffs, eggs, Ben and Jerry's [I think the favor was] chocolate chip cookie dough = Cocoa Puffs Pudding ... like bread pudding, bfut with Cocoa Puffs ... I didn't actually eat it, but I was told it was good ...

... and Bravo shows, an excellent choice, my guilty pleasure would have to be "The Real Housewives NJ" ... TRAIN WRECK! That Danielle, if that is her real name, LoL, is a piece of work; which unfortunately will probably never be fixed!

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
So there are people who watch those shows! I always wondered about that.

[lol]

Not sure I have too many favorites... and my choices are weird I guess... but...

I never liked Seinfeld... didn't think it was at all funny.

Never liked any reality shows (so fake), don't watch doctor shows (too much "medical" and sick patients in my life now), never liked soap operas (lets make one day last 6 years why don't we) or cartoons (not sure why?).

The news (killings, rapes, beatings, bad accidents etc) makes me sad most of the time so I avoid it.

The few shows I have liked over the years-

Boston Legal- funny and good acting.

West Wing- good drama and acting.

Waltons- gotta love it.

MASH- don't watch now, but before getting sick I did.

NYPD Blue- good drama and acting.

Dukes of Hazzard- goofy and the kids liked it.

If I have the TV on these days it is usually on the Weather Channel, or a music station or I'm watching/listening to NASCAR.

If totally bored, a good rerun of the original Law and Order shows passes time nicely.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hells Kitchen and Restaurant Nightmares. The Bachelor and Bachelorette. Saw one episode of Mad Men and loved it! But we dont get the station. [Frown] Love HGTV..gives me ideas lol. Like a lot of reality shows like Hoarders and Intervention. And i love Spongebob Squarepants! As well as Max and Ruby. Started watching them with my son..hes outgrown them now but i havent lol! The Sopranos and Frazier..which was one of the best written shows inm6.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like some of the shows mentioned.
One of my new favs is "Tosh.O". It's kinda like a poor man's e-news.
It's funny.

I like funny shows.

Parks and Rec, like Hoosiers mentioned.

I used to love The Office, it's seen it's heyday tho.

Survivor, need a reality show.

The Soup, I love that they play it twice in a row (wth?? that's so goofy)

30 Rock, sometimes
My favorite line:
"Revenge is a dish best served cold, like pizza."
"Better than hot piza? That's insane!"

And I love the food network channel, but it makes me want to eat too much.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man vs Wild

Now Man Woman vs Wild too

There is another show too with two guys with opposite perspectives on surviving in the great outdoors.

White Collar

Saw a video on the Big C and thought that looks good but don't have show time so plan on renting the series from netflix when available.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite shows now:
-The Office
-Entourage
-True Blood
-Pillars of the Earth (minisieries on Starz)

HBO's "The Pacific" was amazing, too.

My wife is a Bravo freak so I also get my fair share of Housewives, Bethenny, etc.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HungrySquirrel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26821

Ahh, True Blood! LOVES, LOVES, LOVES IT! That is the only show I watch religiously. I am totally addicted to V, LoL!

Man vs Wild is a HOOT! The urban survival episode was my favorite. Waas it really nessecary for him to do all of those somersaults, and flips while traversing the roof tops, LoL?

Man Woman vs Wild, now i never saw that; is it on Discovery as well?

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i'm odd man out again.

i liked "merlin" because i love tales of dragons and knights, etc.

sanctuary because i like the paranormal stuff.

warehouse 13, again comedy and half paranormal.

two fat ladies and most cooking shows.

most diy shows -- 10 grand in your hand, holmes on homes, anything to do with remodeling.

i like old movies, the thin man nick charles series.

i hate reality tv. i have enough of that in my life.

i like the pacific too.

i've watched lord of the rings about 5-6 times.

really depends on my moods.

i like ice road truckers, swamp loggers, and a lot of the science shows like the universe.

and oh yes, lots of qvc and hsn.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
carly,

I like 30 Rock a lot too. The one-liners are awesome! Alot of the time, I am laughing so hard during that show...the jokes come so fast that I am barely done laughing at one thing, until something else funny is said.

I love the dialogue between Jack and Liz. I think I remember that quote. The show wouldn't be the same without Alec Baldwin. He is so good in that role.

Also, I agree that The Office has seen it's heyday. I heard some of the writers left The Office to work on Parks and Rec. Which makes sense, because it seems like Parks/Rec got more funny during the time Office started getting less funny.

kam,

My husband likes White Collar, and Burn Notice. We normally watch those.

Having DVR (basically like Tivo) helps a lot, because we can record them, then fast forward through the commercials. It was only $5 extra per month for us!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoosiers...not sure what a DVR is but it sounds like a great way to go in order to fast forward the commercials.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HungrySquirrel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26821

Royal Pains is another great one on USA.

Oh, and OMG, QVC, I grew up with QVC. My mom used to be obsessed, LoL. My dad and the UPS guy (Rich) actually became really good friends because he would deliver (multipe) packages to our house almost EVERY day, around the same time my dad was getting home from work.

Ahh, memories, LoL! Now I find myself sitting up at all hours of the night (not by choice, but because my sleep patterns are all askew) watching it, when there's nothing on NatGeo,TCM or HBO; I LOVE the jewelry shows.

What about "The Golden Girls", not a new show (obviously!), but a cLLaSsIc! I've been watching it forever. Too bad there's only one left.

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past 18 years my husband and I have watched M*A*S*H reruns at bedtime. When I had to spend six weeks in hospital he brought them to me.

Why? you may ask. Why would someone who had watched very little TV want to watch that show?

The reason is simple. I felt that I, too, was fighting a war. I, too, was miserable and trying to work my way back to my old life. I was homesick, disgusted by the demeaning treatment by doctors with single digit I Q's.

I love the humor that is brought out in a terrible situation. I am a big believer in humor. It heals one's soul, it offers a happy break for our friends and family, it reminds us not to take ourselves too seriously, it helps us to inspire people to listen to us and gives us a chance to give someone pleasure in spite of our own misery.

I felt so strongly about it that I actually wrote an essay on it! I would love to find a way to say thank you to all those hard working folks who made it, week after week.

During the day while I must rest in bed I currently watch Sherlock Holmes and other British presentations and public broadcasts. I enjoy the literacy, the wit, the beautiful settings, the costumes and most of all the excellent performers and writers. They seem to me to be far superior to all the mindless popular fare that simply annoys me.

The characters are real people, not the botox, puffy lipped blonde clones who could all be related because they often have no distinctive looks and personalities. The scripts seem to be formulas whose success is merely judged by polls for the benefit of advertising revenues.

I do record many movies including many classics on external hard drives and enjoy watching the good ones over and over. One of the benefits of my worthless memory is that I can do that since I never remember any of it! [Smile]

I enjoy travel shows and shows that teach me something. When my memory and health improves I will probably watch less and less, but still be looking for a few good ones.

We are all (parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles) trying to keep the children away from TV and video games as much as possible. Our son rides bikes, runs, hikes and plays soccer with them. I read to them and plan project after project for them. I play the piano for them when I can. We play many games and they spend hours exploring our hills near our house. Recently I even made it to SF so we could introduce them to Chinatown. It was the first time I was able to walk through there without a wheelchair!

My husband, many years ago, rewired our wonderful new TV so that only the remote would turn it on and change channels. It was kept locked in my desk.

When I noticed homework not being done I would take it out, wave it in the air and call out one word:"homework!!!" It was a great system! We were always surprised how easily that turned things around! Once the homework was checked we allowed them to choose one or two shows to watch, many of them prerecorded.

Sorry for the rant. I worry too much about our children and the terribly low standards for educating them in the US.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man vs Wild! I kind of cycle through these shows, and it's "out" right now, but that's another one I love to watch.

As for "Holmes on Homes", every time I watch it I start looking around my house and wondering what has to be ripped out. My husband doesn't like that show, since he's the handyman.

As for the DVR, I'm already slave enough to the TV!! I would not use it "responsibly".

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lymephobic- Josh Holloway is my dream man! OOH BABY!!! hahah

My favorite is The Golden Girls.

It is timeless and never fails to make me laugh.

I can watch it and it warms my heart.

Reminds me of my childhood and a simpler happier time

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
two of the best shows i watch are...n

Saving Grace with Holly Hunter

Rescue Me with Denis Lear

and the good cooking shows already mention

if you get a chance they are very adult.. [Eek!]

Madge

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
moving to off topic

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement