LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Got back into my university!!! Need EVERYONE's Advice! ;-)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got back into my university!!! Need EVERYONE's Advice! ;-)
mcg08002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcg08002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many of you know, I was suspended from my university because i had gotten very ill and couldnt attend class (Spinal Taps and etc). Because of my LLND, she got me back in.

I have been ill for almost a year with Lyme Disease now. And found out that there are 2 others on campus with Lyme.

So.... I had an idea.

I decided that it would be neat to have a support group for Lyme, and also other chronic illness' such as Lupus, Ms, and etc. Maybe as just one support group on campus? Also, people who are just interested in supporting the group on campus!

I know 2 other kids at school who have Lyme, and it would be nice to have a support group to just know that there are people who are there for you.

I just want to give help to others with chronic illness. Give them help and the support I did not have in the beginning. Just for other to know there not alone.

I also wanted to raise more awareness about Lyme, MS and Lupus etc. here in Eastern Idaho. Maybe by having a walk a thon and etc?

I just need Ideas for the group:

-- How to advertise on campus for the group
-- What things to do as a group (activities, food, and etc)
-- Awareness ideas
-- Fundraisers
-- How to basically get this ball rolling

and any other ideas you think would help!!!
Thanks so much!

[ 08-08-2010, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: mcg08002 ]

--------------------
Stephanie, University Student.

Ehrlichia [POSITIVE]
IGG/IGM AB [H] 1.49
indexLyme AB interp. EIA [A] POSITIVE
IGG P93 AB [PRESENT]
IGG P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P41 AB [PRESENT]
IGM P23 AB [PRESENT]
Lyme IGM WB interp. [A] [PRESENT]

Posts: 145 | From Idaho | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Connect with the leaders of the groups around you. And be sure to get guidance from:

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

Lyme Disease Association

Contact: http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=274&Itemid=25

=============

You might plan for guest speakers such as counselors, Qi Gong or Tai Chi - or Yoga teachers, etc. Maybe bring in a chef to teach cooking, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to general support

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libby333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in college (undergrad) there was a girl who found out she had Lupus. She talked with our sorority and we set up fundraisers to help with campus awareness.

You might check with clubs/groups on campus to see if they want to get involved. Many have charities that they raise money for during the year.

At least they may have a few ideas on how to get the ball rolling! Good Luck!! [Smile]

Posts: 27 | From Cottontown, Tn | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea to include illnesses such as Lupus and MS. Maybe they will figure out they actually have Lyme and their lives will be changed for the better!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I urge you to focus first on your own healing, though and not rush in to start a support group that has events. That is a job in and of itself. Your body, your studies have to come first.

It could just be a group for sharing and support - maybe get one of the counselors on campus to get on board and take charge of part of it.

The wellness center might have someone who can help you in other ways.

Just don't try to change the world all by yourself all at once.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware of another challenge: we started a support group in my area, had one very successful (though small) meeting, and since then we have all been too tired or too sick to organize a second one.

It would be a great idea for you to connect with the other students who have Lyme, especially, and maybe the other ones with chronic illnesses (or misdiagnosed Lyme) would identify with you too, for going through similar challenges.

I just think you should be wary of committing yourself to using your energy for anything beyond your studies and taking care of yourself, until you see how you do during your first semester. You don't want to end up in a similar situation as before, if you stretch yourself too thin.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not on your topic but received an email from Kim Komando (sp?) about text books being on line now and being able to rent them instead of purchasing them.

I deleted the email but will try and go back and see if I can find it later and post it here.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be a lot of work.
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REad your post this time. I'd suggest just get well and get through college.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I may have had lyme while in college but nothing Like I have it now.

I learned to park in the same parking area each time as I started forgetting where I parked. This meant going early.

I turned on the answering machine and avoided phone calls as they depleted me.

I took a lot of excedrin...don't recommend this but medical field just said I had the head stuff because I was in one of the most intense programs on campus and taking a lot of excedrin was no big deal.

Don't agree with them.

Hopefully, you will not need to carry all those books in a backpack. That was a big problem for me....looking back I wonder if they had the backpacks on wheels then...I don't think so.

I had times when my vision would go and my hearing.

I would go to the movies now and then to give myself a break.

I also would walk and read. Not sure why that helped me when I was struggling. I certainly can't do it now.

Maybe an on line support group to trouble shoot obstacles that come up.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
LYME TIMES is published by:

http://www.lymedisease.org/

CALDA

California Lyme Disease Association (CALDA) is a non-profit corporation acting as the central voice for all tick-borne disease issues. An excellent website for anyone in any state.

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme_times/about/about_lyme_times.html

* Lyme Times

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme_times/issues/lyme_times_archives.html

* Archived Issues of Lyme Times

======================

www.ilads.org

ILADS

======================

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

LYME DISEASE ASSOCIATION

======================

www.turnthecorner.org

TURN THE CORNER FOUNDATION

is a leading fundraising organization for Lyme disease research, education and awareness.

==========================

www.timeforlyme.org

TIME FOR LYME
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Anyone considering hosting a lyme support group should really also consult with an ILADS-educated LL psychotherapist.

There may be people at the meetings with a wide range of issues - and they may not yet be educated in to how to handle all that.

I was in an inner ear support group years ago and someone talked to me about suicide - we had some discussion about it and I advised her to seek professional help. She did, but she still jumped off a bridge to her death just a week after we spoke.

This very real possibility needs to be considered.

You also need to consider how you will handle someone calling you at 2 a.m. in tears. Can you handle that?

Even from just being in some support groups over the years, I recall several calls from people wanting me to rescue them. One woman wanted me to tell her husband she was leaving him. Ohhhh.

Another told me of her plans to kill herself but also told me she had cut her husband out of the will and I was the only one she trusted to tell where the new will was hidden. That was from an inner ear support group, too. With vertigo, lives just crumble. So does the capacity to sort things out logically, sometimes.

Too much. Way too much. But you need to be aware that such events are not uncommon. People are overwhelmed and don't know which way to turn.

The links below only touch on some of the issues that group members may be looking for YOU to solve, right away. I'm not saying run away from this, but it is a tremendous responsibility and load to carry when you are just beginning to figure all this out for yourself.

You can't be the expert just now. However, you can provide educational materials, links, and contacts to campus experts in medical and mental health. You might be able to help educate those professionals by linking them with the experts in your area.

Maybe your LL ND would come and talk with all of them sometime.

========================

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by 
John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

=====================

http://www.canlyme.com/tom.html

The Complexities of Lyme Disease - A Microbiology Tutorial

- by Thomas M. Grier M.Sc.

(there is a new "Part 2" to this that I glanced by the other day here but I didn't save the link)

=======================

www.thehumansideoflyme.net

The Human Side of Lyme

Deliberations of a psychiatrist who evaluates and possibly diagnoses Lyme and other tick-borne diseases of the mind, sharing case histories . . . .
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement