LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » my cat's dying - kidneys - leptospirosis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my cat's dying - kidneys - leptospirosis?
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...a spirochete?

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_ct_leptospirosis

Antibiotics will be prescribed by your veterinarian for a course of at least four weeks, with the type of antibiotic dependent on the stage of infection. Penicillins can be used for initial infections, but they are not effective for eliminating the bacteria once it has reached the carrier stage. Tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, or similar antibiotics will be prescribed for the carrier stage, since they are better distributed into the bone tissue.

...The vet assured me that this disease only occurs in the tropics, or possibly in Texas, but not in the Northeast.

I ended up crying about how I was told Lyme doesn't cross state borders either. It didn't work. He wouldn't give me long term antibiotics.

My cat was given an injection of Convenia (a cepha drug) while in the hospital last week (only because I begged for it - though he did have blood in his urine, I just found out), and two times before that (in 2003 and 2007) he was given amoxi for his renal failure 'close calls'. In fact, both of these times I was told he had 1-3 months at best, but he survived. Because I demanded antibiotics?

The Convenia injection didn't help this time though. His BUN and creatinine remain high. The amoxi did help in the past both times, but from what I'm reading the only thing that will kill the carrier stage is a fluoroquinilone or a tetracycline...a penicillin type antibiotic will only kill actives.

I don't have any doxy. I do have Cipro. What should I do? In the paperwork they sent home with me it even says sometimes antibiotics help their renal cats, though they're not sure why. When I mentioned this to the vet, he claimed antibiotics have anti-inflammatory effects.

He's dying. He's not eating or drinking and looks weaker and weaker. He has had zero bowel movements since I cleaned the litter box on Sunday because he isn't eating even canned food.

Please, someone help? I can't lose this guy:-(

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can buy abx for animals at the pet store, I believe I've seen doxycycline there.

moving to general support

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your vet is VERY wrong. I have seen countless DOGS die and be treated for Lepto. I live in MA. I have never ever seen it in A cat.

I used to be a vet tech ( for about 12 years)

A lot of ctas get kidney failure as part of old age and certain diseases. I really really doubt your cat has lepto.

Sometimes you can give fluids at home under the skin.

unfortunately kidney failure in older cats is always fatal. I am so sorry.

You also need a new vet. The one you have has no idea about lepto in north east.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting, look at Amazon for fish antibiotics.
Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry about your kitty. Can you get another opinion and ask the vet if you could try a trial of antibiotics?

I have given my cat fluids at home in the past.

I hope you can get answers soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to send you a hug!

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6153 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to you. I will pray that God comfort you...
Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody. He's still not doing well today. And the vet did say dogs can get lepto, just not cats.

And I do have fluids I could give him at home. Problem is my daughter and I weren't able to do this because he was all squirmy and trying to get away - I would need 3 people to maneuver giving him fluids, even with him wrapped in a towel. I can't believe they expected me to give him fluids at home by myself, when even two people couldn't do it. I even squirt my daughter in the eye with the stuff and she even stuck herself with the needle.

I asked the vet for a sedative, but he refused me those, too...said that would compromise his kidneys further. And NOT getting fluids is LESS compromising to his kidneys? Somehow I don't get it...

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Youve already received the advice i was going to suggest...i just wanted to send you a hug and tell you how sorry i am about your kitty. [Frown]
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My precious golden retriever died of leptospirosis in CA. They say no lepto in CA, and no need to vaccinate. Not so...

Can your cat be given IV fluids at the vets?

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 13 months with my cat in end stage renal failure (after she got bit by a tick) before she lost the fight. So sorry for what you are going through.

Your call WILL let you give him the fluids. You can do this, because the choice is if you don't, you will lose him quickly. Cats will starve themselves to death when they don't feel good.

Fighting you is a good sign. When they no longer respond is when you should really worry. I honestly think that after a while, they know it makes them feel better and they won't fight you as much.

Go get some Nutri Cal (toothpaste like) and shove it in his mouth. It's high calories packed into a small amount. You can also mush up the food and shoot it into his mouth with a small pet syringe. And do the same with water. He needs fluids and calories.

We bribed my cat with fresh shrimp and tuna for a year. It wasn't the best for her kidneys, but given the choice of not eating at all, or eating something that they love even though it's not great for their condition, you choose the latter. In the end, I had to give her fluids twice a day.

Alternatively, bring the cat in for IV fluids and have them show you how to do the IM fluids.

My thoughts are with you. [group hug]

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get in the vet's face...firmly and urgently and say just that:
well if it's going to ge t the fluids in...
let's do it. Without them one thing is certain...with them and with the tranks...we got a fighting shot. No contest"
And you can also practice not letting your vibe of frustration and wory feed into the cat. (I know, tall order)
but it is a key to calming the scene down. they react to it. i had a wild animal until I did that.
I just had to self talk my way through o chill down and breath deeper...concentrate.

It is hard to be firm with the "expert' but you can do it! for your kitty.

I highly suggest you go to Feline CRF and feline-crf-info
yahoo groups.

Agreement on the groups seemed to be if you can only manage or afford one thing...do the fluids.

google "Tanya's Site...a wealth of info about feline renal failure.
while you are waiting for responses from the forum.

I am praying for your dear kitty to turn around.
feline-crf-info and similar group with caps are the two I joined.

praying...

edited cuz much was said...too long.

[ 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: deerose ]

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soooo sorry about your poor kitty. when our beloved Topaz was fatally ill, my husband got a saline (Ringers?) solution from our vet and gave it to her daily. He was used to giving them to me and we had all the equipment.

When Topaz saw him carrying the IV toward her, she would sit up and purr loudly. We were grateful to be able to ease her last misery.

Best of luck and my warm affection to both of you.

Farraday

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes the fluids are very important.

Here is my technique as a vet tech. Hope it helps I have given fluids to thousands of cats and dogs.

if your a righty,
take your cat and place him on the table. with your left hand grab him firmly by the scruff of the neck. Wile doing so pull the skin up to form a tent. with your right hand stick the needle straight in. Another trick is to warm the fluids in a bowl of hot water (keeping the needle sterile) for a bit. The fluids are about room temp and his body temp is 101 ish. so it feels like icecubes to him. It is not painful but it is COLD.

I know scruffing your cat sounds mean but most of the time they get that you mean business and relax. Give it a try.

The other option is to hire a tech to come out and give the fluids. I used to do this for people. It would get costly though.

good luck and remember you NEED to do this for your cat.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elizzza, I'm sorry to hear that your cat is so sick. I lost one about 2yrs ago to kidney failure. She was old and she got sick suddenly. Stopped eating, wouldn't even eat people food (she loved crackers and would steal them off my plate!) then she stopped drinking. We didn't want her to suffer so we opted to put her to sleep. I still miss her. She was so funny and feisty. We grew up together.

Sending you a big hug elizzza, I know it hurts.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement