LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: What can you do today? 8/23-8/29

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: What can you do today? 8/23-8/29
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spite of fatigue and pain and any other symptom that goes along with this illness, we here are a group that focuses on what we can do. There are a lot of losses when it comes to being chronically ill. But our focus is what we can do. Not what we used to do or what we can't do but for just today- what can we accomplish?

That includes activities of daily living. Because in the course of that we are using our bodies. Use it or lose it!

We have all different levels of abilities. Some are crossing milestones just to get the dishes done and a meal made. Others are able to do aerobic exercise. I cannot. So I focus more on anaerobic activities. That way I don't crash.

What ever your condition is and your level of functioning we welcome you to join us to focus on the positive.

So what can you do today?

Best,
Karen [hi]

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally able to get to the grocery store this am and pick up a few things via driving, walking into store and then using the electric cart.

NOw, hoping to be able to make that chili I purchased the ingredients for. We shall see.

If not, I will have the housekeeper make it for me when she comes on Wed.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm.. chili!! Sounds good!!

I did the usual 40 laps, 10 min on the machine, and legwork over in the weights area. Still am having neck pain so no arm cranks or hand weights.

Hope everyone has a good week!! It's cooler here today and will be highs in the 80's most of the week... and some temps in the 50's at night!!

yippeeee!!

NOW... PLEASE SEND RAIN!!! We are SOOO dry here and have been for weeks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing the rain dance TuTU.

Hot here. Glad it is cooler there.

Able to get out of the house for an hour and a half yesterday evening on the back roads and the 30 mph road out of town.

Went to the 3rd creek crossing and reclined in my camp lafuma recliner.

Had to leave though as I kept having to get up to keep Rosie from eating stuff campers had left behind. I put two of the bones on top of my car to keep Rosie from getting them. They were still on top of my car when I got home.

Looking forward to when I can go there and hike along the trail.

had that brain stuff going on yesterday. Took 6 excedrin which helped keep it from going full blown.

Have it again this morning. Took 2 excedrin. If that doesn't help I will not be able to go to water therapy this morning.

At first I did not like the idea that they are going to put in parking lots, porta potties and trash cans and charge a fee in these areas I go to.

but, now I think it is a good idea. Hopefully, people will use them. They also need to not allow people to camp next to the creek as far as I am concerned.

Except for me of course. I would be able to camp next to the creek. HA!

Glad summer is almost over and I will have the place to myself again soon.

The brain stuff did lighten up some more while I was there. but, when I got back in the car and started down the hill it came back.

Not sure if it was due to moving or what?

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I have vacuumed the house and washed dishes. Now I am off to go out and water plants. Pretty good energy day for me so far. Hope it lasts as I have more on my to-do list.

Lymetoo, glad you are protecting your arms. Glad it is getting cooler too!

KAM, it is amazing to me how sloppy and lazy some campers are. Makes me mad to think that they leave stuff behind. In Maine it is carry it in, carry it out!!

Diane, how are you?! Did the kids go back to school yet? Did you survive the summer? Hope you are OK.

Have a good day, every one!
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone mention chili??? [lick]

Monday-Me and Rocky 1 mile.

Tuesday-Me and Rocky 1 mile. My Mom came out and we ran some errands then went to the farmer's market.

Only 4 veggie vendors. We were disappointed. The heat and lack of rain affected locally grown produce here. One vendor said his corn didn't come up this year. I bought pears and eggplants.

Plan on making eggplant curry and eating those pears with some cheese.

See you all later!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6144 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libby333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a Tennessee Titans football game last night! It was great! Lots of walking, and I was surprised I lasted all four quarters. It was the first time I had been out of the house in 2 weeks! [shake]

I was so happy the herx let up enough to have this time with my dad! Fifth row seats on the 50 yard line...a father-daughter dream come true!

I thought I would pay for it today...but surprisingly enough I've had lots of energy. Thank you B12 shots! [Smile]

Posts: 27 | From Cottontown, Tn | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night went to a weight training class. I lasted the whole 45 minutes.

It was awesome and did great. I'm tired this morning but feel fine.

I have been going every other day and using the cross trainer and also lifting weights to strengthen to my body. [Smile]

Is it possibly to herx while/after exercising?

Janice

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I will be back when vision and brain are working better to catch up.

Last night I was still doing poorly with the inflamed brain thing for the past 2 days.

But, was able to get Rosie further than across the street to toilet via the power chair.

We went down the short street and around the corner. When I turned the corner, I think I saw a lady with no legs. It looked like she had a big balloon hanging and it looked like she was only moving the wheel chair with one arm.

When my brain is like it was, I can't take in much and I can't see or process much.

I do recall her saying something to me about she would race me but knew i would win. She was in a manual wheel chair.

I said yep due to not wanting to say any more as I most likely would throw up due to feeling so poorly.

But, I also was and still am put on hold after seeing her.

Hoping I run into her again. Did I see what I thought I saw? I have seen people in manual wheel chairs with no legs before or legs cut off at the knees.

But, was she only moving her wheel chair with one arm?

And was that her pee bag hanging from the chair?

Was I really wanting to die because I was going through the inflamed brain stuff and no longer wanted to do that again? Which is normal for me when I am going through it...I tend to need to remind myself I will have those times when I can walk in the forest or function better than I am now and that this has not been going on for years non stop as iti feels like when it is going on.

I sure hope i see her again. Looks like she lives near me. And I hope when I do see her I am doing well enough I can talk with her and double check my vision.

She said something about beating me if we were going down hill. She has the attitude I had when I first started using the power chair.

People use to just tolerate me when I asked them if they wanted to race.

Did she really have no legs and one arm? And still have a good attitude at least at that moment?

WAs she really out by herself? That I am sure of. That is do able for short periods of time I would think on the back roads as I was.

I think the inflamed brain thing has broken. NOw, I just need to build up my strength again and get the meds and supplements and food in me.

kgg
Member # 5867

Welcome, Libby and Janice!

Libby, we are a football family. Of course, the Patriots are our favorite team. The guys have already started watching preseason games. I can hear the cheering through out the house. I am especially happy for you that you were feeling well enough to go and to have that father/daughter time. =)

Janice, good job with your workout! I could not do what you did without a lot of payback. For me I need to keep my heart rate non-aerobic or I crash the next day, sometimes the same day. Keep up the good work!

Aklnwlf, eggplant curry and pears with cheese sounds wonderful. I will be right over!

KAM, so glad the brain inflammation seems to be diminishing. Wish I knew what caused that so you could prevent it or treat it! As to your question about the other woman in the wheelchair, yes it is typical to hang your Foley collection bag from the chair. Prevents the possibility of running it over.

Your experience reminds me of a time when Mark was young. We were going to the docs yet again. I was feeling sorry for him as he was so sick all of the time. In front of us walking into the building was a kid about his age that had two artificial legs and one artificial arm. I confessed my poor attitude and pity party immediately.

Today, will be spent packing my son and husband for a trip. I am off to the grocery store in a sec. And have done some laundry. When they head out tomorrow, I am not sure what I will do. Probably relax and read a book. [Cool]

Lymetoo, hope you got some rain. It is going to rain here for the first time in weeks. All of the rain Maine has received this summer went south of us.

Have a good day every one!
Karen

kam
Member # 3410

For some reason, the font is about a 10 now so very difficult for me to read and haven't figured out what to do to increase it again.

Took Rosie out to the rodeo grounds to let her run off leash as I drove around the rodeo grounds.

Yuck. Rodeo this last weekend. Pens still smell and flies are over whelming. I am sure the monsoon we had Saturday really mucked things up too.

Heart pounding as I walked to the car from the apartment and back. Weak. But, slowly building my strength back up.

kam
Member # 3410

Karen...escaping into a good book sounds wonderful.

I, too, wish I could figure out what causes the brain to do that.

Foley collection bag. Thanks for letting me know what it is called.

font is bigger today. Not sure what I did but glad I am able to read things now.

I will be back to catch up with how everyone is doing.

Trying to decide whether or not to go to water therapy this morn. leaning towards not going as I am still very weak and don't want to push the brain so it swells again.

aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome to the newcomers!

Wednesday-1/2 mile for me and Rocky.

Passed my test too!

[woohoo]

Thursday-Me and Rocky 3 miles. Might try to cut some grass for about an hour too.

Got yellow jacket or hornet nests in two spots in the ground and haven't figured out how to get rid of them yet. So I haven't cut the grass near those.

Couple of folks told me to pour gas down the holes where they come and go at dawn or dusk.

Found one but not the other.

Loved reading everyone's posts as usual and will see you all later!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6144 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Woke up feeling blue because I have been housebound to many days in a row going from the recliner to the bed.

But, thought I would try the excedrin to see if it helped improve things.

It did. Able to drive Rosie out to dirt road to let her run in the forest. Just being in the forest lifts my spirits.

Then over to the gas station. By then the excedrin had kicked in enough I could walk from pump to cashier to pay for gas and back again.

This is such a strange condition. Just walking the few steps from the apartment to my car was iffy this am...then 20 min later or so...I am much stronger and able to walk from pump to cashier.

Also able to get a few trash items out of car while gas was pumping.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no rain.. maybe none until next Wed or Thurs .. VERY very dry here.

I've been too lazy to post here... sorry!!

I've done the same exercises... too boring to post!!

Exchanged my sneakers for a bigger size.. smart move! I may have found the answer!

You guys hang in there!!

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Just a quick post to say CONGRATULATIONS to Aklnwlf for passing her test!!! [woohoo]
kam
Member # 3410

Got to read what test AKW passed later when able.

Sure hopep the larger size shoes does the job.

Went to post office box via upright power chair. It would have been better if I had taken the reclining one with the leg lifts. I was hurting as body was too weak to hold itself up.

Able to put two loads of laundry in. Still have not put away laundry from 2 weeks ago.

Waiting for towels to dry now.

Able to water potted plants.

Hoping to be able to go to the grocery store tomorrow morning.

Amelia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam: I am saying a prayer for you... and that you are able to go to the grocery tomorrow... You are perservering and I think that is half this battle.

I have not done my floors in I can't tell you... don't tell anyone please [Wink] One of these days...

[group hug]

Well, I did get to two pilates classes this week as I am trying to stay off my feet - sore feet- but get some excercise three times a week.

Today I went in and did weights. It felt good as it has been so long since I really have felt like I could. I pray this continues...

Blessings to everyone here... [group hug]

Posts: 243 | From Charleston, SC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Able to walk into WM and use electric cart. They had a new one there that did not hurt the body so much and was much easier on the arms and brain to use.

Just picked up a few things.

Drove by yard sale. SAw a ..sorry can't recall what they are called...but it is a wooden pation chair that I can slouch in and put my feet up a bit.

They also had a padded cover on it. Pulled up and paid seller from car.

They delivered it for me.

I was able to come home and clear off patio and sweep it before they got here.

I am a happy camper. Looking forward to slouching in it as I watch the snow this winter and slouching in it first thing in the am and the evening when it is cooler.

Sat in it a bit after they delivered it. Old patio chair took all I had just to sit in it.

I wasn't able to look around me.

Able to look at the sky and across the field today and this was after body was at the point it needed to lie down or sit in the recliner.

Chair needs to be sand papered and painted.

perhaps next spring.

I'll be back to read how you all are doing after I recover from this am. [Smile]

All I got at the store was goat's milk and yogurt.

I need to find some protein with little to no prep.

I do have walnuts.

But, am so exhausted this am that I don't have what it takes to fix breakfast. I did the yogurt thing.

And I do have some hard boiled eggs.

So, I should be OK if I lay low until lunch time.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this post.

I am going to do some light weights today because I saw this. I have really gotten bad about exercise.

I will also do a protein shake. I'm starting to let the diet stuff go too.

We need to treat our bodies with respect no matter what condition they are in.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

DRove Rosie and I out to our stomping grounds. STopped half way there to check out the new house that is being built.

Cement Patio on half of the house. Some very nice views of the local forest.

Walked down a dirt road for a bit and then walked down a dirt trail for a bit.

Est on feet 10 min.

Going to make someone a very nice home.

Also able to sit out in the patio chair and read two stories from Guideposts. Very unusual for me to be able to do this so it was a treat.

REad an article about a lady having inflamation in the brain and they lessened big time when she went gluten free.

She mentions that there was wheat in her tomatoe soup and other things I had not considered having wheat in.

So, going to pay more attention and see if I can't get that inflamed brain gone.

Not up to reading how others are doing yet, but i will be back. [Smile]

Also cooler here today. In the 80's on the porch with a slight breeze.

fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a great day. Gotta love weekends.

Made a couple skydives at the DZ.

Went to a BBQ to see old college friends. I realize how much I miss beer in these settings.

Made a BASE jump after dark, the first in two months.

I will surely pay for this overexertion tomorrow but it felt good. Going to bed now with a smile from ear to ear.

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Able to drive out to the nearest trailhead this am and do the 10 min loop in the forest.

Although, there were two other cars there all ready I had the place to myself. I assume they were further in on the trail.

Good to be on my feet in the forest.

vision is still weird so not able to read what others posted yet.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement