LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » WOOOHOOO!! Gluten free biscuits!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WOOOHOOO!! Gluten free biscuits!!!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bisquick is now available GLUTEN FREE!!!

Anybody have any good Bisquick recipes?? I'm READY!!

I found a good one for sausage balls!!

[woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear this. Before coming down sick, did have some meals I used Bisquick for but brain is struggling this am so I will need to come back.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIZARD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4597

Icon 10 posted      Profile for WIZARD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have a website that has recipes on it.

We make the "chicken fingers" and mini BBQ meatloafs.

They are both tolerable. The oven baked chix fingers are very good made with organic chix.

Have fun!
Wizard

Posts: 252 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I am happy to hear this - yet very sad that it contains sugar as their second ingredient. Aluminum is added, too. Boo, hoo !

Years ago, I found a GF Falafel mix and I made biscuits from that - they were delicious and not greasy as they were not fried. Adding Olive oil to the mix kept them moist but, still, they were best fresh. The texture was a bit rubbery when cold, but were good if left-overs were warmed just before eating.

================================

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/Story.aspx

Bisquick Gluten Free

View Nutritional Info (link at site)

Ingredients:

Rice Flour, Sugar, Leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, moncalcium phosphate), Modified Potato Starch, Salt, Xanthan Gum.

May contain SOY ingredients.

Serving size: 1/3c

Fat 0.5 g
Calories: 140
Sodium 340 mg
Sugars 3 g
Protein 2 g

========================

Here's just one review of Bisquick GF - and photos of pancakes:

http://celiac-disease.com/review-gluten-free-bisquick/

Review: Gluten-free Bisquick - by Tiffany Janes

=========================

http://www.vansfoods.com/The_Goods/#/all_products

Van's makes a five different flavors of GF frozen waffles. They are surprising good - and moderate on the glycemic index for occasional enjoyment. I've had both the Buckwheat and the Blueberry Buckwheat. Excellent. These have to be baked in the oven for 20 minutes, though (best if covered until the last few minutes).

These are not toaster waffles (unless a toaster oven to bake longer).

===========================

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/

Pamela's GF Baking & Pancake Mix

NGREDIENTS: Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Cultured Buttermilk, Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks),

Tapioca Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Starch,

Grainless & Aluminum Free Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Potato Starch), Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum.

Lowest on the glycemic index of all, with just one gram of sugar:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-all_purpose-baking-flour.html

Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour

Contains: garbanzo flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour.

**Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy**

[you would add your own baking soda and baking powder, depending upon the recipe]
-

[ 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libby333
Member # 26573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libby333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So happy to hear this! i get so excited when another company jumps on the Gluten Free ban-wagon!
Posts: 27 | From Cottontown, Tn | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, gang for all the info!! I'll have to check out their website. Sorry to hear about the aluminum. Dumb to include that in their ingredients!

'Course, I won't be eating that much of it anyway.

One thing I was wondering... It says to use "shortening" for the biscuits. Do they mean like CRISCO?? I haven't bought Crisco in about 35 yrs!!!

What can I use to substitute??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Gluten free chicken fingers:

3/4 cup Bisquick� Gluten Free mix
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt or garlic salt
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1. Heat oven to 450�F. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
2. Stir Bisquick mix, cheese, paprika and salt in shallow baking dish. Dip chicken strips into eggs, then coat with Bisquick mixture; repeat dipping in eggs and Bisquick mixture. Place chicken on cookie sheet. Drizzle butter over chicken.
3. Bake 12 to14 minutes, turning after 6 minutes, until no longer pink in center.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could use coconut oil as a substitute for the crisco?
I use it as a sub in baking lots of things. I don't know how it would work with gf biscuits, tho.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Is it an equal amount with substituting??

Why wouldn't butter work?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Coconut oil does not oxidize at the same heat as butter does. With a higher flash point, coconut also won't smoke so easily. Avocado oil is really tops, though, with the highest flash point which also keeps it from oxidizing during cooking.

When oils oxidize, they can hurt the lining of our blood vessels. This is the Avocado oil recommended by Christina Pirello, on "Christina Cooks" the PBS, Create cooking show:

================

http://www.olivado.com/avocadooil.htm

OLIVADO - Avocado oil
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo -

I think it says Aluminum FREE Baking Powder. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
joalo. Hmmm? The new Bisquick is not free of aluminum. It lists it. Did I miss reference to another product?

==================

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/Story.aspx

Bisquick Gluten Free

View Nutritional Info (link at site)

Ingredients:

Rice Flour, Sugar, Leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, moncalcium phosphate), Modified Potato Starch, Salt, Xanthan Gum.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Keeb.. the big question is how much (of what?) will equal the shortening??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes so little to float your boat TuTu... it is amazing.

[Big Grin]

Talk about Bisquick... I used it the other night to fry some hardhead. It was excellent. No spices, just plain.

I cut the hardhead up in chunks.. like hard head McNuggets... and rolled them in plain Bisquick and fried them till golden brown.

REALLY good!

Looking forward to trying it on some catfish tomorrow evening.

Oh.. and I love the bisquick dumplings... yum yum. The recipe is on the box and it makes great chicken and dumplings. That and some fresh corn on the cob and tomatoes...

I'm in heaven!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almond flour makes yummy biscuits. Expensive but worth it.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
[QB] It takes so little to float your boat TuTu... it is amazing.

[Big Grin]

So true, so true!!! [lol] I found some shoes that fit and are comfortable (rare find) and I am on cloud nine today!!!

OH, I am so ready for some chicken and dumplings. Will have to find that recipe. It's not on my Bisquick box.

I still am waiting to make biscuits though.. gotta know what to do about the shortening.

--SIGH--

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New shoes always make me smile too. IF comfortable.

On the regular box of Bisquick the recipe for dumplings has always been rather hidden.

Now it is on the side panel- a narrow side, not front or back. It is under the biscuits recipe.

Just for you...

2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk

Mix till soft dough.

Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew or soup (or chicken broth after cooking chicken).

Reduce heat. Cook uncovered 10 minutes.

Cover. Cook 10 minutes longer. Makes 10 dumplings.

ENJOY!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH MY!! I may have to get busy cooking this weekend!! Woo hoo!!

New shoes AND biscuits (and chicken and dumplings, my all time favorite food!!) [lick]

One of my friends just came by (yes, I have a few friends!.. [lol] ) and she said Crisco comes in rectangular packets now so you don't have to buy a big can of it. Who knew??

Yeehaw!! [bow] Thanks for the recipe, TC!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

PS.. I just checked the box and the recipe is nowhere to be seen. Guess they don't think celiacs like chicken and dumplings or something? [loco]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess you don't buy much Crisco. Those sticks have been around for maybe (?) 10 yrs or more.

Certainly you could substitute butter!
(I personally think you could find a way to put more butter into anything)
Crisco has a conversion on the packaging. I don't know what it is off-hand. It's not quite 1:1, I don't think.

The coconut oil can be used 1:1. It's flash point is close to that of Crisco's, and it's texture is great for baking (being a solid at room temp.)

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I have to say I'm sorry TuTu. I was laughing because you got so excited over bisquick.

And here I am on a Saturday night coming here to see if you got the recipe.

Says a lot for both our social lives, doesn't it? HA!

And worse yet.. I'm excited about this comment you made. Am grinning over it!

Yes, as my kid says, I need to get a life!

[lol]

"New shoes AND biscuits (and chicken and dumplings, my all time favorite food!!)

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

TC....I know exactly what you meant and you are SO RIGHT!! I knew I had recipes (somewhere) for things made with Bisquick...so I was HAPPY!!

I DO need a life...but I kinda like the one I got!! [lol]

carly... Haven't bought Crisco in about 30 yrs. Seriously! I couldn't believe there were no cans!! [Big Grin] My friend is a great cook. She was probably silently laughing at my comment about buying a whole can!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Crisco is not really that good for anyone. No hydrogenated oils are. They are just a heart attack waiting to happen.

Extra virgin Olive Oil is a much better to use. Avocado oil, or coconut oil, too. There are so many better choices if one wants to stay out of heart surgery. Hydrogenated oils are killer oils, literally.

=================

http://www.crisco.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupID=17&prodID=315

Crisco All Vegetable Shortening

Ingredients:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

=====================

TBHQ is tertiary butylhydroquinone

http://blog.friendseat.com/tertiary-butylhydroquinone-in-chicken-mcnuggets/

Excerpt:

McDonald's chicken McNuggets served in the U.S. contain tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a petroleum-based product . . .

. . . TBHQ is a preservative for vegetable oils and animal fats, supposedly limited to .02 percent of the oil in the nugget.

But according to ``A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, ''One gram can cause nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse.''

TBHQ is also added to varnishes, lacquers, resins, and oil field additives, and used industrially and in cosmetics to lower the evaporation rate and improve stability. . . .

=====================

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706418

From Cosmetic Safety Database:

T-Butyl Hydroquinone

. . . One or more animal studies show liver effects at very low doses. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/12/gluten-free-pot-stickers-recipe.html

Gluten-Free Pot Stickers (Dumplings) Recipe

* 10 ounces (2 cups) Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour*

* 2 teaspoons xantham gum *

* 3/4 cup just-boiled water (let the bubbles subside before using)

See the how-to video on rolling out Asian dumpling wrappers

Filling and shaping the gluten-free dumplings

Cooking the gluten-free dumplings

My conclusion

The resulting gluten-free pot stickers had an earthy, hearty quality that hit the spot on these cold days of winter. We enjoyed them with a dipping sauce of Chinkiang vinegar, ginger, chile oil and (gluten-free) soy sauce.

I wouldn't say that these gluten-free dumpling wrappers were an equal substitute for the regular wrappers - but rather just a different kind of wrapper. . . .They are at their best when pan-fried into gluten-free pot stickers. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/soupsandsalads/r/turkeydumpling.htm

Gluten Free Turkey Stew with Herbal Dumpling Recipe

Turkey Stew recipe at link.

. . . for the DUMPLINGS:

* 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill AP Gluten Free Baking Mix)

* 1/2 cup amaranth
* 1/4 cup tapioca starch

* 1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon dry thyme OR gluten free poultry seasoning
* 1/8 teaspoon guar gum

* 3/4 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt ?)
* 3/4 cup gluten free turkey OR chicken stock

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation: detailed at link above.

This is the mix used in the two recipes above:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-all_purpose-baking-flour.html

Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour

Contains: garbanzo flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour.

======================

Similar option:

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/

Pamela's GF Baking & Pancake Mix

INGREDIENTS: Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Cultured Buttermilk, Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks),

====================

http://www.olivado.com/avocadooil.htm

OLIVADO - Avocado oil
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.tinkyada.com/

Gluten Free Whole Grain Brown Rice Pasta

http://www.tinkyada.com/ProP1.htm

Photo: Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta choices

The Brown Rice Grand Shells would work very well in a Chicken or Turkey Stew and create a bit of a Dumpling effect.

Trader Joe's has a nice PENNE, too. I add a handful of Penne to chicken soup about 15 minutes before serving. Very nice, indeed.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the recipes, Keeb!!

I KNEW there was a reason I hadn't been buying Crisco! I'll do one batch, then give the other two sticks to my friend.

I'm a lazy cook, so we'll see how far I get.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I finally made them this evening. They weren't anything like real biscuits... shoulda known!

Anyway, they were better than nothing, which is what I usually deal with.

Can't eat too much of that kind of thing!

Thanks for all the help. Will print out the recipes for future use!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No flour of any kind needed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/4/7343

Topic: Chicken w/ Caramelized Fennel; Fennel Sauce
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement