LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » My looks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My looks
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a beauty queen, but having Lyme and co.'s has really aged me a lot and made me feel so unattractive. My self-esteem has plummeted!

Last weekend my husband saw a picture of me from 25 years ago when I was in my brother's wedding. He said, "Is that you?? Wow, the years have been hard on you."

I was so upset when he said that! It was so thoughtlessly mean. Later he clarified that having Lyme disease has been hard on my looks, not just time.

Oh, gee, thanks a million!

My husband has been wonderful in many ways, but I'm having a hard time getting over this one. If you don't have anything nice to say - say nothing! And don't expect me to cozy up to you anytime soon!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightMoon
Member # 26717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MidnightMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. I would hope beautiful woman that he shouldn't be expecting anything from you until he learns how to treat you. Teach him.

Michele

--------------------
The closer you get to G-D The closer He'll get to you.

Be who you are, and say what you feel...the people who matter don't mind...and the people who mind , don't matter.

Posts: 98 | From In the woods by a stream in beautiful Catskills NY | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was probably joking.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, I understand. I think I have aged alot in the last 10 years.

You may want to do something to make yourself feel better about how you look...like a makeover.

Get a new updated hairstyle, and see what you can update from your make-up routine.

I know that I would look really bad if I didn't take the time everyday to do my hair and makeup.

If you can, treat yourself also to a new, updated outfit. I think everyone can look younger and better if they have the right hairstyle, makeup, and clothing styles that are flattering.

I empathize with you.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look way younger than my chronological age, thank goodness.....

BUT... all of us look "older" after 25 yrs has gone by. Who wouldn't!?

Maybe you just look older because you don't walk around with makeup and lipstick on?? Heck, I looked pretty bad while going thru treatment too!!

One day you will look and feel much better!!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wasnt nice to say. I bet he didnt mean it though.

I agree with the others and give yourself some special treeatment at hubby''s expense [Smile]

Get a haircut
pedicure/manicure
new outfits
facial
massage

and then go somewhere with your girl friends!!

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merrygirl:

I agree with the others and give yourself some special treeatment at hubby''s expense [Smile]

Get a haircut
pedicure/manicure
new outfits
facial
massage

and then go somewhere with your girl friends!!

Great idea!!

I recently put up a new picture on Facebook and a Lyme friend said that she wished I could put the new one of me sitting at my son's game along side of an old one of me sitting at my son's game back when I was sick because they look SO different. She said the change was remarkable and made her have hope that things could get better for her.

I didn't wear makeup very often when I was sick because by evening I didn't have enough strength to wash it off. I only washed my hair a couple times per week because I used up too much of that day's energy when I did.

It's hard to look good and be sick. It's hard to look young when you have bacteria feeding off your collagen.

Dig up a 25 year old picture of HIM!!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men can say things without engaging their brains first. No doubt hes not GQ material after 25 years himself. I agree with the poster who suggested beauty treatments at his expense. Wouldnt work with mine..hed just say "whatever you want honey". Thats not as great as it sounds. But do something really nice for yourself! A little pampering goes a long way.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine never engages brain before speaking....

it's my weight he comments on all the time...

i swear sometimes i could kill him....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really looked terrible when my illness was at its worst. My face was pinched and drawn, my color was gray and my facial lines were a lot worse. My hair lost both its color (I'm a redhead) and its sheen. I looked older than I am now.

As I've gotten better, though, that has changed. Like Too, I'm blessed to look quite a bit younger at this point, anyway.

I just celebrated a milestone birthday, and most people who tried to guess my age, took 10 years off. I loved that.

This is also good for me, because the average age is my company is 27. I'm a lot older and happy not to look it.

Just by the way, I've been on antibiotics 5 years now.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I deserve a pamper-me day, but yes, I've seen pictures of myself when I was deathly ill and I do look a lot better now than I did then!

I was gray and drawn in those pictures - uggh. So, I thought I looked better nowadays and that's why my husband's comment hurt!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joking or not, that was a cold and insensitive thing to say! grrrrrrrrr!!!

Take his checkbook, credit card, whatever and go SHOPPING girlfriend! [Wink]

Hang in there!

xxoo
Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like something my husband might say thinking he was empathizing with me and therefore being supportive. Sometimes they just don't get it. Maybe it was surprising to him to see what a toll this has taken on you and it opened up for him a little inkling of what you are going through. From what you say, it does seem he realized he'd said something insensitive.

These days I work a little harder to make myself look good because my face has aged a lot and my body has lost muscle tone. On the days I take the time to do make-up and am attentive to my outfit and accessories, not only do I look better, but I feel better about myself. There are a lot of days that I feel so awful I really don't care, but it's nice to know the option exists.

Maybe, if you are feeling unattractive, that's a good thing to do. Girl it up a little, for you, not him. It might make you feel better.

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. I think a makeover, just for me, would be just the thing.

Anyone who has read my other thread about my son knows that I need TLC in a big way right now.

If I don't start taking better care of myself in ALL ways I think I will drop dead. I feel so stressed and awful.

Thanks for being there for me, everyone. This board really does help so much. - Lymelady Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

novy
Member # 25987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for novy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mens brains vs womens brains ... [Wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoqpjOZxf2M

why can't my spouse say what they mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCRbd0Qw4Y&feature=channel

Posts: 94 | From shaker heights, ohio | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if it makes you feel better,,,people that knew me pretty darn well 20 years ago and more have zero idea who I am!!!MOST people in fact!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement