LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Need chemical free hair dye, MCS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need chemical free hair dye, MCS
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some issues with MCS, and can no longer tolerate the hair dye I have used for years. The smell is overwhelming.

Also, I think it has damaged my hair to the point that it is beginning to fall out.

Anyone know of a natural product that covers gray but won't cause respiratory failure?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Support....

Hope someone has an answer for you!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using nutri something from Vitacost or iherb

Sorry, brain has not been working well enough to find the product.

But, when brain is working well enough I will find it and post it here.

I need to get some more...

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Keeb! I now remember seeing it in a Vitacost catalog!

Herbatint! and Naturtint....

www.vitacost.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I use naturcolor from herbaceuticals. It works well at covering grays, I have used it for a couple years now. Regular dyes used to make me sick for days, so went partially gray for awhile til I found this.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I decided to get away from toxins several years ago, I quit coloring my hair. I hadn't seen my actual hair for many years, so the prospect was a little unnerving. But, as it turns out, my grey streaked hair looks great. Now, people are constantly telling me what beautiful hair I have, even strangers. Who'd have thought! Because it's not damaged with chemicals anymore, it's smooth and sleek and shiny. And it grows in stripes of white, silver, platinum, and lead - very dramatic. So, if you don't find the product you want, it might be interesting to find out what your natural hair will look like. You might like it.
Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input!

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

INEBG... I SO hope my hair will streak like yours! Sounds great! And way cheaper than paying for it to be streaked!! [Big Grin]

Right now I only have about 5 gray hairs, so this could take awhile for me to find out what mine is going to look like!!

My mother didn't get "mostly gray" until she was past 65. And she never dyed hers. It looked pretty good, just gray interspersed with the light brown.

She passed away at age 81 and it still wasn't all gray! There is hope!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 39 and have quite a bit of grey hair. My husband wants me to go grey naturally so makes it easy for me.

But intrestingly I asked my husbands grandmother who is 88yo how long have you been coloring your hair it looks so black? She was offended when she told me she has never put any color on her hair in her life. Oh boy was I embarrassed. I apologized.

I will hopefully never do that again.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yikes, TS!! My aunt is 88 and she doesn't dye her hair either. She has some gray, but not much.

I'm 59 and the gray hairs I have, I just cut out! Think I'll go bald?? [Wink]

I'm hoping not to ever have to color it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
With the hair loss as it is, I would hesitate with any product.

Even the more natural dyes are chemicals, too. Even ammonia-free products can be caustic. We also have to think of what gets washed down the sink because that gets into the water supply for our food, for fish and it comes back to us for drinking water - with - many chemicals being undetected.

Anything that soaks on the head can be absorbed into the blood stream in 26 seconds. And, our eyes and lungs take in a lot of the smell, too.

All that considered, Henna may be an option. I tired a henna shampoo, though, and it really burned my scalp very badly.

I used to highlight, thinking that as least did not really touch my scalp - but it smelled awful and burned my eyes -- and when I see how much goes back into our water supply, I just stopped and went natural.

I feel so free now.

I think natural hair can look vibrant all on its own. With a bit of lemon juice to cut soapy build up, hair can really shine.

A cute haircut can go a long way to helping you feel fresh and light. A smile that radiates from a strong heart and a twinkle in your eyes will do more for your overall "put togetherness" than anything. With a face radiant from any of the little joys you can grab from life, your hair's luster will follow even in it's most natural hues and changes.

If your hair is not very dark, you might put some lemon juice on it and sit in the sun, adding some glow.

====================

Mentioned by others in above posts, here are some links for study - but some of these do not list the ingredients. You would want to see all the ingredients.

http://www.naturcolor.com/

Naturcolor from Herbaceuticals

It also cautions with using on an irritated scalp.

--------------------

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=hair%20color

haircolor search at Vitacost.com
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
www.itmonline.org/5organs/lung.htm

The 5 Organs Network of Chinese Medicine - Lung

Excerpt:

. . . If it is in harmony with the lung, the hair of the body and head will be lustrous.

If the hair becomes dry and falls off, the lung is exhausted. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair was always fine and thin, and a little frizzy because of extensive breakage. Because of this, It's always been more of a challenge than an asset. I had to work hard and use a lot of "product" to make it look good. There were a lot of styles and cuts I could not have because I didn't have thick enough hair.

Now, with not dying it, and one other hair-health thing I do, there is almost no breakage at all. That's why it is so thick, shiny and smooth. I just use a natural shampoo and conditioner, blow it dry and I'm good to go.

The hair-health thing is biotin. It's a vitamin pill available by itself or in combination with other supplements for hair/skin/nails. It's made an incredible difference in the health of my hair. My friends and family now take it too because they see what it's done for me. My hair is nearly twice as thick as it used to be.

Sorry to sound so enthusiastic, but I'm still getting used to having one of my challenging features become one of my best assets. I love the grey, and I love my hair. Never thought I'd say that!

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Come to think of it, I have heard about the biotin before. I'll probably give it a try. I wear a baseball hat most of the time now, my hair looks so bad.

As for the dyes you all have used. If I opt to use one of the more natural ones, do you know if it can be applied right over the chemically tx hair, or do you have to grow it out first?

--------------------

Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me henna hair dyes are the way to go.
Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Hi Heleneh,

Have you used them yourself? I hear they can be pretty tricky to apply and are usually red in tone.

Not that I would mind being a redhead. My hair is reddish brown already.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Application is also a consideration. So far, I have not had what it takes to cover the grey myself.

I have been so thankful for those who volunteer to cover it for me.

They just put it on and then leave.

So, I do try and get something simple for them to mix and put on.

I too have heard that henna is the best. But, the one time I was able to read a bit it did seem like it was more complicated as far as putting it on and mixing.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Looks like there is some good info here. I will be back when I am able to read it.

Nails, hair etc do need help

linky123
Member # 19974

I just ran into a friend today who has let her formally died hair grow out naturally. It looks really nice.

She is about 50% gray; I'm guessing mine is too, it's been so long since I've seen it without the color on it.

Her hair is really thick and healthy looking too.
I think I'll do the same, at least give it a try. It will take some patience but might be worth it.

Life will at least be more simple. I always hated coloring my hair, such a hassle and mess!!!

And I'll always have my baseball hat to help me through it.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I am amazed sometimes, when I remember the time, money and energy that I used to spend on hair and nails.

Since dropping all that, I feel so much freedom. With a short stylish cut, I don't even have to style my hair. It's wash and wear. Sometimes I may fluff it a bit with the blow dryer and set my bangs.

Long ago I nearly passed out from nail polish but it took me years to see that connection. Nail polish is highly toxic and can damage the brain. I'm sure that contributed to my low grades in college.

About a dozen years ago, when finally learning guitar, the nails on my left had had to be cut short. I never would have accepted that in my younger days.

So, clean, clear and bare nails today look much healthier on my hands - even with nails shorter on one than the other.

Even without my blond lights of the past, I get compliments on how shiny and healthy my hair looks. When I lightened it, it was fried and I HAD to use a curling iron or other method to deal with that.

What shines is the delight we have inside. We can can let that come out, no one really cares if our nails are clear and our hair is natural. I actually WISH I had more than a few silver hairs but, at 57, it's amazing free of that. I am looking forward to some natural highlighting some time, though. Of the women I know who have let the silver show, their hair looks so much better - and so do their faces.

Streaks of silver can be very beautiful and striking.

==================

About nail polish - besides the fumes - is that it can harbor or spread MSRA and c. diff. I failed to save the articles I had read about that years ago but a Google search brings that up. I just don't have access to the full text.

http://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a938.extract?sid=920ea0bd-2083-4b38-b2fe-f261dd316542

Personal View: What should doctors wear?

Kiran K Turaga, Gargi Bhagavatula

BMJ 337:doi:10.1136/bmj.a938 (Published 24 September

. . . Removal of nail polish and finger rings to prevent surgical infection. . . .

. . . nail polish have been banned from the . . . where MRSA and Clostridium difficile may . . .
-

[ 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Biotin sounds great!! I have sort of thick FINE hair. It didn't look as good as others' hair when I had it short... I needed thicker hair.. or more coarse hair.

It's in good shape and in a kind of "bob" now, I guess you would say.

Biotin here we come! ( I think it's in my vitamin pill... but let's go for more! )

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

In the past I have used a shampoo called Nioxin. It's not cheap, but the salon that's in the Walmart Supercenter has it the cheapest I've found.

It helps remove the chemicals and toxins from the hair and scalp. Took about four months to see results. But the hair looked thicker and healthier, so worth the price IMHO.

Esp. since I will no longer be spending so much on coloring.

--------------------

novy
Member # 25987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for novy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if i so much as look at a box of hair dye i get a chemical reaction- the last time i tried was a disaster ... and i was only attempting to give it highlights ...

i'm over it!

Posts: 94 | From shaker heights, ohio | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

You're right novy, me too. I've been pumping that stuff into my system for 20 years and through two pregnancies. No telling what it did to my kids.

What a great feeling to let it go.

--------------------

INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

When I was letting my dyed hair grow out to natural grey, to ease the transition I had a few highlights and low lights added just to the surface portion so that there wasn't a clear line of colored/not colored. The other thing I did was pull it up a lot, again to make the color difference less obvious. This may not be such a problem for people with less grey, but my hair is more than 50% grey, and the difference was pretty stark since my hair was colored brown.

I take 600 mcg of biotin twice a day. It's done wonders for my hair, but my nails are still awful. It took about 6-8 months for me to notice a big difference in my hair. I've been taking it for two years. My husband takes 5,000 mcg twice a day. He just started two months ago and already has a lot of new growth.

linky123
Member # 19974

Good advice everyone. Thanks.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement