LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Employed ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Employed ?
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know who works? I have spoken to at least one who worked through the whole thing. [bow]

I can't even imagine working, the way I have felt the past 3 days. I am so fatigued and sad, depressed and afraid.

I think most of my fear comes from knowing we cannot get by without me working. Also, whether the rest of my family has this. I am so frightened lately. Is this a Zith thing? The fear?

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't worked in quite a few years, but that had nothing to do with Lyme.

I had to go on disability b/c of my back, WAY before I was ready to quit working.

And if it's not a Zith thing (I wouldn't know anything about it)..I would imagine that fear is pretty understandable and normal with this.

So many unknowns...hard to not be fearful.

Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missyindc
Member # 27598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missyindc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work, in an atmosphere that is understanding and helpful, and fairly low stress. I run a nonprofit and my board has been great, through med reactions, appointments, and all our little issues that we all know way too well. Weekends are for rest, and my hubby makes sure that happens. I am a blessed Lymie!
Posts: 30 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a good day, I made it from the bed to the couch with help .... no way I could have worked!!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the blessing of working from home. Just got a great job from home. I know I'll do this because I'm determined to. But working outside of the home would be a different story. I'm feeling quite blessed to have a "desk job" from home.
Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjfrank
Member # 26985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjfrank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work, Monday through Friday, daily. I am real lucky to have the opportunity to work from home.

If I had to drive into the office each day I probably would be unemployed.

Some days are very difficult to get through and I can not call out sick for a couple of months as I have been warned for calling out too much.

I did apply for FMLA and it was approved but I have not used it and do not want to use it if I can help it.

--------------------
cjfrank

IGG Western Blot - negative
IGG Bands Detected - p18
IGM Western Blot - positive
IGM Bands Detected - p23, p41

Posts: 49 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a business and work from home.

If I had to go to an office every day, I probable wouldn't be able to do that.

Working from home is the most ideal.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work from home, but my husband ends up doing a lot for me.

I do have to go to meetings, and have lots of meetings at my house.

I do great at meetings somehow. I think the adrenaline kicks in, and then I just pay for it for the rest of the week.

I end up , on average, working about 15 hours a week outside the home.

It is torture! That is why I am on a high dose of cymbalta. I also take oxycontin and oxycodone all day long.

I make 5x as much money as my husband, so I need to keep my job.

However, my husband and I share all our money, so my husband loves to come to my rescue, like a knight in shining armour, and does lots of stuff for me.

He is doing half of my job for now and most of the house work. I am very blessed. He even built some flower gardens for me, and helped me do planting.

I was having tons of anxiety, and cymbalta helped with that immediately. I think Lyme caused the anxiety for me, not the zithro that I am taking.

I also have to do the morning car pool, which is really tough as well.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an elementary school teacher and quit my job in 2003 because my health was failing. Since then, I substitute when I am able. Two years ago I worked nearly all year. Last year I worked only two days. So far this year I haven't worked at all. Teacher lay-offs have made it very difficult to find a sub job; it's rare to have a day when a laid-off teacher isn't available coincide with a day I am feeling well enough to work. I was offered a year-long substitute position in September, but my health isn't good enough for that kind of commitment yet. I'd love to find a job I could do at home.
Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a stay at home mom but, no, I cannot do even that job now. (Not that it's such an easy job.) Others have to run car pool, fix food and clean house for me. I used to be the volunteer extraordinaire at the kids' school but no more. I miss it so much. These days a good day is when I can get dressed and make it downstairs. Once in awhile I can even go out for a quick burger with the family but that's it.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work Monday-Friday but only thanks to several very lucky factors.

One, I have a short commute.

Two, my symptoms all involve physical pain rather than "brain fog" type symptoms, so even if my knees are killing me, I can think clearly.

Three, I work in the ecology department at my university, where I would guess that ~1/3 of students experience Lyme at some point before graduation-- especially those who do fieldwork. So all the faculty understand what a serious illness it is & cut us some slack! I wouldn't be able to handle a higher-pressure job.

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had full blown neuro symptoms thanks to three weeks of steroids. Felt just like you when starting abx.

The first 2-3 months was a nightmare but I sucked it up going to work daily. My employer was understanding even though I was not very productive. I remarkably called off only once per month on average.

I then started having a decent day sprinkled among the hell on earth in daily life. Then the frequency of decent days got more and better.

Diet, supplements, and sound nightly sleep were helpful in turning the corner faster in my opinion.

It sounds like you have some anxiety which my LLMD immediately addressed. Stress is bad on the immune system and he put me on a little something for the first two months to take the edge off.

It is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a friend or loved one.

Good luck.

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all !!! fatherguido, So what was your little something? I have kids to take care of. I do not use anything at all. Except Ativan once in a while for sleep. I am stressed about money and I have an asthmatic daughter, so I guess I do not sleep that soundly.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked for 26 tortured years after i got Lyme.
39 years total.

I took a lot of chances driving to work.

Interstitial cystitis finally ended my working,and 17 other dissabilities contributed,lyme being one and the cause of some of the others.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work Mon -Fri and sometimes straight through the weekend. We own our own paint business so if I didn't work we couldn't make it. There's no way we could afford to hire someone else. So I do so out of necessity (spell?).

When I told my LLMD what I do, she was dumbfounded, yeah its hurts like you know what at the end of the day but I get my sleep and take all my meds. And do what I gotta do.

If I had a choice I would stay home, with a babysitter, and never leave the bed or couch somedays. But I don't have a choice, got little mouths to feed [Smile]

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am struggling to get thru an 8hr day.Started

abx on the 13th.Then shingles came on 26th of Oct

went back to work Friday my neck was killing me.

I dont tell them Im sick,out of sick time burned

thru 400 hrs of sick time,none left till Jan.My

job is physical stressful and you must be dress-

ed in business attire.ugh Im am sick,dont know

how much longer I can go on.Was wondering how

everyone gets thru their day,the no sleep is the

the hardest.Going to try Advil PM tonite.

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I guess I"m one of the fortunate ones. I work full time and always have. I'm the primary bread winner for my family. My wife works too, but I make about 2x what she does.

I had several weeks where I barely worked back in the Feb - May 2010 time frame. That is when I crashed and started having all of these symptoms. THe most problematic was dizziness and brain fog. I had weeks where I would just sit in my office and google symptoms, barely working. I had high anxiety, tacycardia and just overall general malaise. I went from Dr. to Dr.

I'm very lucky I found my LLMD and got my diagnosis in May. I only had bad symptoms for 4 months and looking back, symptoms for maybe 6-8 total. I'm in my 6th month of treatment today and am around 90-95% most days.

I have a few, mild, nuisance symptoms remaining, but that is it (knock on wood). I may have an off day here or there, but for all intents and purposes I can go to work, travel for work (to Asia / Europe), be a good dad to my 2 young daugthers, etc. I have my brain and life back.

Now...if I can only clear the remaining symptoms and close the gap to 100%. It seems like this is the most challenging of all. I'm worried about stopping treatment until I am 100% for fear things will come back.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement