LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » clarify "grains" and all

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: clarify "grains" and all
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can i eat oatmeal and grits? i'm southern to the bone and have to have grits, but i understand they're made from corn and on the candida diet, corn is OUT....

so i guess breakfast is mostly bacon and eggs and water....lots of water....

can i eat any grains? somebody told me ezekiel bread and somebody else said no yeast bread.

ugh, confusing..."the yeast connection" book has a pretty good listing but it says absolutely no fruit, no white, no sugar, and no bread. just meat eggs and raw vegetables. BORING......

but i sounds like i have to do this. aw well, maybe i'll loose weight.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, I don't think oatmeal or corn are allowed. But there are so many variations on the anti-candida diet. You'll end up finding some that allow you to eat certain grains, but it's probably harder to get/stay well if you aren't strict with your diet. If you end up following a version of the diet that allows you to eat corn, then try not to overdo it. For example, only eat corn in small quantities, and only once or twice a week.

I like the Body Ecology Diet, which allows you to eat buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and quinoa.

It's a good idea to eat veggies for breakfast. As a southerner, do you like greens? Sauteed kale or chard is good, or a spinach, onion, and pepper omelet?

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and quinoa are the ones I eat, still in small quantities. I haven't found a way, yet, to make millet taste good. Backintherain, do you have a good recipe? If you cook it with enough water, it does kind of look like grits....

I've heard corn and rice are both too high in sugar, and oats have gluten.

Backintherain, do you eat veggies for breakfast? Was it difficult to get used to doing that? I keep trying it, but honestly, I am not in the mood for vegetables before lunch time. Often I end up skipping breakfast because I just don't want to eat any of the stuff I can have, and I can't have any of the stuff I want.

Is the Body Ecology Diet for candida?

randibear, I just got back from Georgia and had a couple of WH breakfasts, and took a chance and ate some grits. Nothing terrible happened to me. I think, as backintherain said, limited amounts may be ok. If you start getting yeast issues, then maybe back off of it for awhile.

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget about beans and lentils. Beans you gotta soak in advance if they are dry, but with lentils, you don't have to. That's one of the big advantages of lentils.

You can use chickpeas like pasta, and just put sauce on them, and they taste good. I cook my own chickpeas, instead of buying them canned. It's a hassle though, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, which I do.

Soups are great. You can make veggie soups, and add beans or lentils or meats for some substance. White bean and kale soup is a classic Italian soup that's really good. It normally has some kind of pork in it too I think.

All that said.....I am not big on giving up grains. I just don't feel good off them. I need more carbs than that.

Oh, you can also mash up chickpeas or boiled parsnip instead of mashing potatoes (and then add all the fixins like butter, etc), and supposedly it tastes great.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Body Ecology Diet is for people with candida, so it is a great diet for lymies, and you can use all their recipes.

My lyme doc told me to follow this diet.

They have a great recipe for a hot porridge for breakfast using quoina flakes. Quoina is a seed and not a grain, so it is allowed.

Here is the recipe:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

This was my breakfast every day for a year while I treated and got rid of lyme and company. It is so good!

Make a big batch and you won't have to cook it every day.

You can't eat oatmeal or grits on the anti-candida diet. I never ate them. If I did, I got yeast.

So, the closest thing to a grain I found is the quoina. Cook whole quoina and use it like rice or pasta. I made beef stroganoff today and put it over quoina. Great!

You also can have mayonaise since it is basically made from raw egg yolks and oil. So, you can make chicken salad or tuna salad and eat that.

You can make stuffed peppers using quoina instead of rice. Buy the quoina in a health food store.

You can eat all vegetables raw or cooked except you can't have potatoes, corn and beets. These are starchy or full of sugar, so they are a no-no.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
INEBG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INEBG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! I look forward to trying that porridge; it sounds terrific! I need to source quinoia flakes.

Have you found a mayonaise that does not have vinegar in it?

Posts: 212 | From San Francisco Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the best way to make veggies for breakfast is to saute them and make a big omelette or just put them on top of scrambled eggs

i think ezekial break is ok in moderation

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But ezekial bread has yeast doesn't it, is this okay ?????

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ezekial bread contains gluten (from the barley). So, no. If you are near a Trader Joe's, see if yours has from their own bakery, a gluten-free Brown Rice Bread. It's very good. But, I still find it too high on the glycemic index.

It's really best not to consume any ground flours at all and go for the whole grain, in moderation, along with other foods. Lyme puts us as far greater risk for diabetes. So do processed grains. Whole grains, on the other hand, can help us avoid diabetes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement