LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Looking for a place to move fam that is a little safer from LYME!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a place to move fam that is a little safer from LYME!
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember when looking to relocate you'd search out the community and schools. Well, I did that when we moved here upstate NY 3yrs ago and Now we all have LYME...

Husband can now retire after putting his 20yrs in with NYC. Is there ANYPLACE that is kinda safe to live with a lesser chance of Lyme transmssion??

I just like to find a place that while living a normal life, won't get LYMED walking to the mailbox or to the car!

Does anyplace exisit that is a lesser threat of LYME?
I know where I am now in Orange County NY is one of the highest incidents of Lyme...and that's only the confirmed cases!!

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Texas .. stay out of the woods though. Go to San Antonio. More arid there.

Arizona?

New Mexico?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to see a tick where I live in AZ. I have talked to hunters and they too have never had a tick on their dogs or seen a tick in this area.

Payson, AZ. Small town but great if you like the outdoors...lots of beautiful places to explore.

Mostly a retirement community. Real Estate has dropped a lot since I moved here.

One area use to be $200,000 for just the lot. There has been a home listed in that area for $200,000 lately...a newer home...guessing 3 bedroom 2 bath.

Real Estate in this area goes from prefabs on a lot to high end gated communities.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
montana
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear Antarctica has some prime real-estate.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariski
Member # 24942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mariski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I feel the same as Jenn. Living in a rural area in New York, surrounded by mice and deer, I have to think about what I put on my feet every time I go out of the house.

Many days you will find me throwing frisbees for the dog outside on the grass while wearing high plastic boots.

But I suspect that this disease really exists in most places, but usually is not diagnosed as lyme. And the good thing about being in an endemic area is that there are LLMDs around. Expensive, but they are here.

Posts: 40 | From New York | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. I tell myself look at all the people who have not gotten sick.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lived in Texas and in Missouri, I can tell you that there is little concern about being bitten each day unless you're mowing the lawn or hiking. Definitely more ticks in MO than in TX. (at least in the Ozarks!)

I was Lymed in the woods about 90 miles from Houston. I have NEVER seen a tick in Houston. Not saying they aren't there, however! Never saw one in San Antonio either. ( and mowing the lawn was something I did regularly )

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were I live there are no deer ticks,and rarely any dog ticks.

Preble county Ohio,huge farms as far as the eye can see.More pigs than people probably.

The farmers spray so much insectiside that the ticks get killed allso.

I got lyme on vacation in kentucky at mamoth Cave national park.

MADDOG

Posts: 3995 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I live in Ohio, too. I've only ever seen ticks in the woods or long grass (like in a field). I've never seen one in a yard in the suburbs. I got Lyme in Ohio in a grassy field and again in Indiana in the woods.

Florida. I've never seen one on the beach or in the yards there.

Of course, either place, I'd stay away from the woods or more "natural" places that are unkept.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i'll go to the moon!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
i think i'll go to the moon!!! [/QB]

That would probably work! Just don't take any with you!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenn, I've got the answer - a "BUBBLE" is the only safe place to hide from the little Buggers!!!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summer22
Member # 27913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summer22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly what you mean! I've even had ticks in my house!

My friend/neighbor had them in hers too. I think the kids must have brought them in from bottom of shoes maybe since they are hard to crush dead!

Another friend/neighbor had them covering her swingset!

Sitting on sofa one day and there were 2 crawling on my arm! In my house!

Everyone here has Lyme too.

And we all can get it here just from walking to mailbox or playing outside with the dogs or kids.

It's right in our backyards! I even got my lawn sprayed this year.

And I was wondering the same thing you were. Where to move to where Lyme isn't rampant.

Posts: 70 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Stay out of Oregon. While there seems to be fewer ticks here than on the east coast, they do exist. But there is not one LLMD. The state has an active campaign against any doctor who even considers lyme beyond a few days' timeline - so for anyone with lyme (or other TBD), they are really at a huge disadvantage. Huge.

If you are seriously considering moving, find a state who has several good LLMDs and who are protected by state law so that they can actually treat.

Anywhere there are birds, mice and other rodents, there is a chance for lyme. I also think that in the next decade, the number of ticks could explode in Oregon. California has already noted important changes but Oregon's rule is to don blindfold and ear plugs and turn away from anyone who even whispers about lyme education.

"MS" rates are high here. "Fibromyalgia" and "MS" draw big bucks for research at the medical college, as long as lyme infection as a possible cause is never considered. It's one of the dirty secrets.

There is an excellent lyme patient support network and they work very hard - and there are a few good LL ND (naturopathic doctors). But the state medical board, itself, is causing horrific harm to its citizens. On purpose.

Oregon is beautiful and the population is generally "health-minded" with all sorts of focus on running races from the mountain to the coast, etc. We have lots of organic food options. People are out and about all year long on their bikes, even in the winter rains.

Perhaps, in part to that can-do athletic attitude - but mostly due to the sheer negative forces of the Oregon medical board - it's just not a safe state for anyone who has (or who could ever get) lyme or any other tick-borne infection. They are ostracized in all manners of speaking.

The media has tried a time or two to cover lyme but always rely on the IDSA stronghold of the state and that always makes lyme patients look like whacko wimps. The media is controlled by the IDSA in this state and that just fries all avenues of lyme education and prevention.

It's humiliating to go for any kind of medical or dental care (even if not lyme related) because the doctors just have no clue and it's very hard to explain why I am the way I am. It's just mortifying.
-

[ 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement