LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Racial heritage and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Racial heritage and Lyme
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something that has been on my mind for awhile.

Everyone I've personally met with Lyme (or seen in documentaries, or read about in books) is white/Caucasian. My guess is that this is just because, generally speaking, more white people happen to live in Lymey areas. But my hometown (where I contracted Lyme) is extremely diverse, and yet all the other people with diagnosed Lyme in my neighborhood are white.

Anyways, I'd love to hear what ethnicity you are (sort of an informal survey). I'm guessing Lyme doesn't discriminate by race!

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very interesting.

You guessed it- we are caucasian.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too.....my husband asked me the very same questio a few days ago.....I'll be interested in the responses....

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caucasian here.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh..my DH works with two people who are positive for Lyme. Both are caucasian as well.
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as many do not truly understand Lyme and it's co's...The word about it in our local area seems to reach the black citizens slower than others. Our community is slightly diverse but most of the blacks tend to not participate in the Lions Clubs, or some of the church groups that have had presentations.

One man had a bulls eye and went to the senior citiens meeting room. The leader called me and I went down and it became clear that there was another reason this was not acknowledged as much in the black community...Due to his pigmentation, it was very difficult to see the bulls eye.

So combine, less information and rashes that are difficult to see and many blacks will not have hopes of help.

I was able to get him medical info and he found a DR that would treat him. He was also able to come to a Lyme Support meeting to learn more but he came alone.

Our area is endemic and the ticks do not differentiate, so that leaves me to assume that there are many blacks suffering and not knowing the cause. lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many women of color who have Lyme are misdiagnosed with Lupus.

Many men of color that are misdiagnosed are given an "arthritis" diagnosis rather than Lyme.

The label of ADD is most often given to children (any race) with Lyme who were missed in the early stages.

In some studies it is thought that the area of residence affected the rate of incidence of Lyme in various races.

In some states many people of color live in cities rather than in rural settings ... hence less of an exposure risk.

Some suggest people of color have less access to health care in some areas, explaining the difference.

At least one study in Maryland showed that mostly rural counties had Lyme patients of color exceeding others for having the later manifestations of Lyme (arthritis), as opposed to the EM rash manifestation.

In other words, more whites had EM rashes documented and more people of color had later manifestations than EM's.

Did that make any sense? I hope so because...

Clint Bowyer is 2 seconds ahead of the rest of the truck racers, with 10 laps to go!

BYE!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnsjw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnsjw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew is mixed and had a bad case of lyme, he is better now . I know others who have lyme. Nephew got sick with rash after duck day at school. Duck day is when they take the kids to a lake to canoe and look at frogs, etc.
Posts: 211 | From In my house | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caucasian. I seriously doubt that this is a race-specific disease--most Borrelia outbreaks occurred in Africa before the epidemic started.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know two blacks who got it

dr j txed the child successfully

the adult had a pos pcr, big bulls eye and some tx that helped serious cognitive probs...but i wonder if they are undertreated because of sx i still see

*** edited to remove doctor's name ***

[ 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang
My original support group in 1984 had a black lady in it,and 6 white people.

Not to far off on percentages due to the facts that the poorer you are the less chance you have of a diagnosis.

*****edited*****

Lots of blacks live in inner cities were there is not much lyme just concrete.

So lyme is pretty well spread out if you look at the facts.

MADDOG

[ 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 4000 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone posted above, I would think a person with a darker complexion would have a more difficult time seeing the bullseye rash.

Many black people live in the country as well, so I don't think we can differentiate without some sort of study to confirm.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got it, white...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know several black people with Lyme and lots of Asian people. Ticks don't discriminate!

But all the reasons TinCup listed are reasons why blacks may not get diagnosed as often. Look how many don't know anything about lyme to begin with---almost everyone, medical community and the public alike!

And, Bash, I read what your LLMD said to you about Native Americans---OMG! People are unbelievable.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticks do not discriminate - everyone is being exposed - the issue is, do they know it? Please, everyone, do what you can to help others learn what's happening - thx -
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt that my part Native american roots - (if lyme was natural and not man made)gave me a better lyme resistance.The reason I am not dead!!!

MADDOG

Posts: 4000 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jac123
Member # 28247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jac123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
white....however only female on property,I wear

long pants long sleeves and the guys wear shorts

and never get any ticks.I really think they are

attracted to female hormones,Every year I have

about 15 ticks on me and 2 to 3 in me in

spring.Would love to know male female ratio on

here.

Posts: 72 | From illinois/wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

I know more guys with lyme than gals.

The guys try to act tuff and won't talk about it.

MADDOG

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first people I had ever heard about with Lyme is the African-American, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alice Walker. She writes about her struggle with the disease in her non-fiction memoir The Same River Twice.

If I recall from reading the book, she was still dealing with vestiges of the disease when her novel, The Color Purple, was being brought to the screen.

Another writer, Amy Tan, has a fierce bout with primarily neuro Lyme and she details this unflinchingly in a book of essays, The Opposite of Fate. Tan struggled to find a practitioner and was basically home-bound at her worst.

Both Walker and Tan seem to have found lives beyond Lyme... which always gives me hope!

andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on Alice Walker, Andie333. I'd heard about Amy Tan contracting CLD, but not Ms Walker. Bless us all!

Borrelia, Babesia, Bartonella and the other synergistic pathogens can infect humans of any race (as well as dozens of animal species). We're all at risk.

Borreliosis, babesiosis, and bartonellosis have ALL been found in human babies (actual cases published in peer-reviewed scientific journals). It doesn't take a tick to get CLD.

So, it doesn't matter where you live, your occupation, or anything else if you're BORN infected but no one notices.

If you live, work or vacation anywhere that birds fly, you could come into contact with ticks. And fleas and biting flies transmit life-changing infections, too...

An attentive mother in 1975, Polly Murray of Lyme, CT, alerted health officials to unusual, disabling illnesses in her neighborhood. Turns out, they had neuroborreliosis. And now there's proof of Lyme disease in all 50 states.

In many regions of the US, "minorities" are becoming the majority. But they're not well-represented on LymeNet.

If an economically disenfranchised daughter of migrant workers sees disturbing patterns of dis-ease in her children and/or neighbors, does she have the same resources (fiscal, educational, political, etc) that Polly Murray had? Or did her local library just cut back on hours? Would anyone listen to her concerns? Can she realistically treat CLD on her income?

If a contractor with dark skin caught Lyme disease and/or bartonellosis on the job, would co-workers recognize the symptoms and hook him up with an outstanding ILADS-active LLMD immediately? Would they urge him to have his son (diagnosed with ADD) and his wife (with a Lupus dx) evaluated by an LLMD too?

How many contractors realize that 10% of their fellow contractors have CLD?

It's vital that we each do what we're able to educate people about the chronic Lyme disease (CLD) epidemic. Just talking with a person at a grocery store could lead to reclaiming the life of a person disabled by unrecognized & untreated chronic infections.

And she stepped off the soapbox...
Smile

http://www.turnthecorner.org/content/facts-about-lyme

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jac123

its not female hormones but it is a phenomenon that has been noticed and written about

often a group is in an infested area and some come back with lots of ticks and som with none or few

i remember hearing about it at a conference so i think there is actual research on this

my experience is over a 3 year period i took care of two little girls-sisters. whether they were with me or their mom at a different location...the girls would be in the same places all day and at the end of the day one would have tick attachments and one didn't.

years later the one with the many tick attachments was not doing well cognitively or physically. the mom had many explanations given to her from ducks about what was going on but they were all in denial about lyme...

again many sad situations

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement