LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Thinking of getting a dog - need advice on types of flea and tick preventative, etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking of getting a dog - need advice on types of flea and tick preventative, etc.
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys. I hope this gets seen here. I didn't want to post it in medical, but unfortunately I know that's where most people hang out answering questions.

My husband and I might be getting a dog within a few days, which is exciting because it's a beagle/basset mix and I love bassets and my husband loves beagles. But I'm also kind of nervous about what a dog could mean.

I'm nervous about the dog collecting ticks on it when we take it for a walk or to the park. For the most part it will be inside the most because we don't have a yard at the moment, but we will take it for walks and get it exercise that way.

For those of you who do have dogs, how do you ensure that your dog doesn't bring ticks inside the house with it? Do you give it a tick check as soon as you get into the house or what exactly do you do?

I'm also curious as to the best kind of flea and tick preventatives out there and which ones you would suggest? Do they all kill ticks within 48 hours or less? If that IS the case, then I wouldn't be so nervous and paranoid about HAVING to do tick checks on the dog every single day or worrying as much if I knew that the tick wouldn't live long after being on the dog.

Any other suggestions for having a dog/pet and keeping clear of ticks/lyme/co-infections?

Thanks so much! [Smile]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Years ago, I had a beagle. So cute. And so loving. They really have a lot of endless energy and it's a bit hard to take them on a walk as they want to bound out across the land to follow every single scent on the path. It's what they do. They are hunters.

As all dogs like to kiss their humans in the face, train your dog for the get go not to do that by your blocking with your elbow and maybe training him/her to lick the back of your hand instead. It's instinct and centuries of habit so it may not be easy but it's very important not to get contents from their mouth in to yours. If you do get a kiss, be sure to clean your mouth soon afterward.

Do not let the dog sleep on the bed, at all. My beagle took over and before we knew it, he was sharing our pillows, tucked into the middle of the bed. We started him out on the floor but he found his way under the covers every night. We should have gotten a professional trainer but thought it was so cute when he was little. It stopped being cute but was impossible to correct then with our whimpy attempts.

Sharing a pillow is not hygienic. And, there is another matter with a dog actually getting under the covers: worms do need to be considered. If any eggs escape from the other end, they can find their way to humans.

There may be other suggestions from trainers for all of this but they may not realize the importance of why you ask about the face kisses - just tell them that it's a immune system precaution to prevent fecal material from spreading.

Beagles are also hunters, so they may grab birds and rodents from the yard and then kiss you in their excitement. If you know that's something they would be proud of, just be ready to let them share their excitement without a face kiss.

I will say that I missed my beagle very much when I moved. He brought a tremendous amount of joy to my life. I wish I had known, though, about some of the precautions so you are wise to figure that all out in advance.

I do not remember what we gave him but it was a daily pill and he never had one flea on him. I never saw ticks as the pill was supposed to kill them the instant they bit. He went hunting often and, still, he never returned home with insects. Now, it may be that my former husband groomed him after the field but I never recall mention of that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
steve just posted this for a similar cat question. Some common ground here:

http://www.petstation.com/cat-zoonoses.html
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I just remembered the first night we brought home the tiny beagle from its mother and siblings. It was at just the age of weaning but still so small and so scared. My husband had to drive back up the half hour to bring the puppy's mother down for the night. And, then, the next night, all the crying landed the puppy right into our bed. That's how it all starts. But you just can't ignore the panic in a little puppy.

So, if you can, ask a trainer how to best make that a less traumatic adjustment for the dog. I wished I had learned a lot more about the characteristics of the breed.

They do want a lot of attention and really love to play catch and bring the ball back to you. The degree of joy is amazing.

Now, yours will be part basset hound so I'm not sure how that will be different or less rambunctious than a beagle.

My beagle was real cuddle machine and anytime I took a nap, if I did not bar the door, it was right up next to me. The instant that door would open after nap, he would just bound down the hallway and jump on to the bed so very excited. He truly helped me manage life during a few very rough years. Dogs are just such great souls. I do suggest lessons with a trainer, though.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I wondered - from my beagle's temperament and now see that both beagles and bassets are pack animals - and do better with other dogs. Might you be able to get two? If not, they really do not like to just lie by themselves when a human is in the same room. Be ready to cuddle and to play.

If this is not a done deal, you may want to study the temperament research to be sure you select the right dog for your your own temperament and capabilities.

-------------

http://www.suite101.com/content/choosing-a-basset-puppy-a122684#ixzz16zLmMbgK

Choosing a Basset Puppy: Temperament and Characteristics of Basset Hounds

==================

http://tinyurl.com/23uczyh

Choosing a Beagle Puppy: Exactly what do You Need to Make for a Content Dog?

=====================

www.barkbytes.com/profile/beagle.htm

Profile of The Beagle

The Beagle was developed as a pack animal. When brought into a family, that family becomes the Beagle's pack. Companionship for the Beagle must be present, ...

=====================

http://autumnblazebassets.webs.com/bassetfaq.htm

Basset FAQ - Autumn Blaze Bassets

They are bred to be a "pack" animal when used for hunting. Many homes that have one basset, decide that 2 or 3 is even better . . .
-

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information, Keebler. Unfortunatley, we wouldn't be able to get another dog at the same time. Hopefully we will be finding a new home soon and moving - that is something I want right now more than ANYTHING.

The beagle/basset mix we will get (if we decide we want her) is already 1 year old and is fixed and house trained and crate trained.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sounds like she's been just getting ready for you, then. I hope you get a cozy home soon with a bit of running space for all of you.

Oh, another thought, try not to get your legs scratched. You would need to be mindful of tetanus from dirt outside, among other things. And that brings up a human tetatnus vaccine which can be problematic. Perhaps the dog is trained not to jump up on people's legs.

Still, for every consideration that takes thought and effort, the companionship of a canine can be splendid. Good luck with your decision.
-

joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have three dogs. They wear Advantix tick collars year round and we use Frontline monthly.

We live in MD too,on a sort of rural piece of property with TONS of deer. The dogs run in grass and our partially wooded property, so the exposure is very high.I DO occasionally find ticks on them but it is pretty infrequent and MUCH better since we started with the Advantix in addition to the Frontline.

I groom them every day and do visual checks. One is a Newfoundland, so they would be hard to see, but one is a dachshund and I don't find many on her .
If you can keep your dog in a less rural setting, I would imagine it would be very manageable.
I would not trade them for anything. Good luck!

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding that I do agree with Keebler on the bed part. The dachshund is so tiny and clean and cuddly that we all had a hard time resisting her. That was probably a source of exposure for me though I will never know. Fortunately, the Newfie is way too bigLOL.
The dachshund is just fine now with her own bed.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K9 advantix is your best product can buy at the vet or large pet stores.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't read the other replys. i know from experience the only thing that keeps ticks away is permethrin. you have to make a choice if you will deal with the bad things about it. research it. it is the only thing that kept them off my dogs in ny, nh, and ct

when they had it on i NEVER saw ticks...it rubs off ont he ground and dog beds etc and keeps them gone

if i was late putting it on...they(ticks) were back---but read about it...you have to be careful

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't read the other replys. i know from experience the only thing that keeps ticks away is permethrin. you have to make a choice if you will deal with the bad things about it. research it. it is the only thing that kept them off my dogs in ny, nh, and ct

when they had it on i NEVER saw ticks...it rubs off ont he ground and dog beds etc and keeps them gone

if i was late putting it on...they(ticks) were back---but read about it...you have to be careful

ps-and every time you buy it...read the ingredients...cuz they change them.. they take it out and you get ticks and need to treat go buy what ever has it in it

i have used biospot and frontline(but they took it out) and others that they took it out

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement