LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » What is your favorite brand of Almond Milk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your favorite brand of Almond Milk?
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 5 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if almond milk tastes good.

I have never had it and was considering trying it out to have with some fruit like once a week (just so I don't go insane never having any fruit).

I figured it would be a good way to get a filling snack in?

Are there brands that are unsweetened? I don't want to jeopardize yeast by adding in too much sugar.

I figured if I just put blueberries and strawberries and almond milk it would be ok?

Or, is soy milk better? or rice milk?

I'm open to all suggestions, thanks!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the BEST!

I get the unsweetened vanilla, they have unsweetened plain too.

I like it staight up (tasted nearly identical to skim milk) or in cereal/oatmeal.

It is really low in calories, though.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever brand you go with, just want to make sure it is organic and unsweetened.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze - unsweetened vanilla

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been experimenting with it too. Glad to know the best brand to buy. A smoothie sounds like a great idea. I have made hot chocolate which is not too bad. I used a bit of honey but stevia would work.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Try to get in the refrigerated cartons so as to avoid the plastic lining of the shelf-stable boxes. the refrigerated cartons seem a bit more wax-like. Not sure exactly what they are coated with but it's sure not as plastic as the shelf cartons which may have BPA and other petroleum stuff.

Be sure UNSWEETENED, of course. The Blue Diamond Almond vanilla tastes great. But I suspect something is a bit off there as it sure tastes salty. It's not like the almond milk I've made on my own (with much effort as I don't have the right tools).

You can make your own much more cheaply and without additives. Takes a very strong blender, though.

Softer nuts are easier to make "milk" - walnuts, pecans need not be soaked over night like almonds. A bit of walnut/pecan milk on oatmeal is wonderful. Save the nut pieces from the strainer to add to oats or soups.

For a "nog" - I like the Blue Diamond Almond Milk - I add more vanilla and nutmeg. Hot or cold, yummm.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got raw organic almond seeds from Whole Food and soak overnight, then, with one of these

http://www.florenceadams.com/soyquick-automatic-soymilk-maker-sdz--5.aspx

I think I have the best brand. [Smile] ))

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with wtl - I make my own and like that brand!

I soak a cup of almonds overnight then put them in the blender with 4 cups water and 2 dates....then strain it with a nut milk bag...so yummy. Good for cereal or baking or just drinking plain.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Soymilk to make on your own does need to be cooked and wtl's machine is one that I would have have bought if I could have. Be sure if you buy a soy milk maker that gets hot that all the parts that get hot are stainless steel. No plastic should get hot around foods.

NUT milk, though, does not require cooking. So, some very good blenders can do nut milk but you have to strain it and that can take some effort.

You can go to YouTube and search videos for what ever kind of "milk" you want to make. Some juicers are good, some are not, for nuts.

Search a video for this kind of juicer: Hurom "almond milk"

Google: blender "almond milk"

When I've researched this, the name Blendtec kept coming up as good for almond milk. You need a strong motor.

HEARING PROTECTION should be worn when around blenders, etc. Antibiotics can cause ears to be damaged at lower levels than usual. Keep a pair of construction/lawn ear muffs in the kitchen and with the vacuum.

Ear plugs with a hairdryer. For everyone, really, this is good.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Vitamix blender that I LOVE. They are not cheap but Costco has good discounts now and then. They are much stronger than a normal blender and can handle making almond milk. I did use my old blender before I had the Vitamix and it worked OK, but I'm sure it would not have lasted too long with the nut grinding.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Pacific Natural Foods brand organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Here's the brand website so you can see the nutrition info: http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/nut-grain-beverages/organic-unsweetened-almond-vanilla-non-dairy-beverage

I first purchased it at my local health food store then requested that my local grocery store carry it. They keep it in stock now and it is much cheaper.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to general support

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with sammy, I use Pacific. I do not really care for silk or blue diamond... they seem to have a thickness to them.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought some Blue Diamond unsweetened chocolate almond milk. I was very pleased with it.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions! I will do some experimenting..

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing cereal!!!! OMG I can have cereal!!!
Tell me what kind you all are having...I lost five pounds in two days since I have no clue what to eat...so I eat nothing!!!!

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat Glutenfreeda Oatmeal it has flax meal in it.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is regular oatmeal ok? I always ate low sugar or suger free instant oatmeal (all I can afford) ..are they bad for you with lyme/

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
annier,

Sorry. Instant oats are basically sugar to your body. They are so finely processed that they break down so fast and send blood sugar to the moon and then crash you back down in a hour.

Also be careful with ANYTHING labeled "sugar free" - oats should not have sugar added to begin with. Oats should just be oats. But for "sugar-free" be sure there is NOT an artificial sweetener added.

Stevia (from a plant) is an okay sweetener but nothing artificial is good.

Best choice for moderate serving of OATS: Irish or Scottish - steel cut oats - are best as they take longer to digest.

You can buy steel cut oats in BULK. However, Celiacs and others with gluten concerns need sure to buy in a carton that is "gluten free" so that it's not been contaminating during process with wheat.

Even with the thicker oats, it's important that they not be the only food of the meal. Eggs are a good source of protein and vegetables are also still very important to include in every meal, even breakfast.

Those who are battling candida may have to avoid all oats until candida is under control.

A non-gluten grain that is better: QUINOA. Just google that.

Also Google: Glycemic Index

That will explain that foods low on the glycemic index are best as they last longer in our bodies and don't turn into pure sugar as instant oatmeal can do. The heartier, least processed and "closest to the earth" the food, USUALLY, the better on the glycemic index. The higher the simple sugars, the worse.

Protein and healthful oils can help balance out the glycemic index. Nuts with oats are good, for instance. Still, though, you never want too simple of a sugar (simple carb) if you are battling candida (systemic yeast) as the simple sugars will feed yeast, regardless of if proteins or oils balance the glycemic effect.

The glycemic index is so important as lyme can make a person more susceptible to developing diabetes and we need to be very vigilant about keeping our blood sugar levels steady.
-

[ 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Thanks Keebler...Why wouldnt my dr mention diet when he suppose to be the BEST in NY? I am living on regular shop rite plain oatmail..no sugar or aspartme in it and addiing one trivia to it...I hope trivia is the same as stevia....veggies for breakfast?Raw veggies or cooked? I am not a fan of veggies..is there anything at all that you can put on top of them to make them taste decent...And I have been living on activi a yogurt also..always did...I am taking a probiotic nutrient..is the activia still ok? I need milk everyday also due to calcium issues...hope that ok...use skim lactaid..so confused..

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Truvia has stevia but also other things. The next time you buy it, you might reach for SweetLeaf or Trader Joe's - or another kind that does not include some of the other things in Truvia.

Not a fan of veggies? Sorry. If you want to get past lyme, I hope you will find at least 2 - 3 veggies you like for EACH meal of the day.

Without veggies, we will die. Seriously. Our cells need vegetables, galore. Leafy greens, especially with each meal. Chard, kale, collard greens, etc. Salad greens are NOT as good as the kind you steam.

Steamed veggies are most easily digested. Look to all the colors, textures and flavors. You will be amazed at all the choices. Get to know the produce managers at your local markets. They will help you. Call ahead and ask for a time when they could talk you through how to start all this.

I don't know about Activia. Does it contain any sugar? If so, no.

You can get plenty of calcium in kale and broccoli. But you can also find PLAIN yogurt that is much cheaper than the high priced advertised brands. Look for that from milk from cows that are not fed rBGH, a hormone they give a lot of cows. Not good for us - or the cows - though. Your grocer can guide you.

You ask what to add to vegetables to make them taste better? A picture of people in Haiti. I don't mean to sound flip but most of the people on the face of the earth are dying for lack of vegetables. that helps me when I feel deprived or miss foods that I grew up on - before I realized most were not really food, anyway.

The American diet has been so ladened with artificial flavors that I think our brains have been damaged to not appreciate real foods.

Still, get to know garden herbs and spices. Again, your grocer will help. See if there is a community education person there.

Fresh herbs like Rosemary and Thyme are the place to begin.

Sea Salt, fresh group pepper, etc.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Google for MSG

Google for Aspartame

These hide under many names and show up in places they don't belong. Avoid at all costs. Check all your labels. Season foods yourself. It's best and cheapest, too.
----------

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2384105525501310962#

EXCITOTOXINS: The Taste That Kills

VIDEO - lecture just over one hour by the author of the book, Russell Blaylock, MD (neurologist)

--------------

BOOK - http://tinyurl.com/avq449

Excitotoxins - The Taste That Kills - by M.D. Russell L. Blaylock

This is the 1997 edition

No customer reviews at this link but you can look inside the book and read (59 customer reviews) at the link for the 1996 edition of that book - http://tinyurl.com/as6je7

The customer reviews, in themselves, are an education.

===================================

Good stuff here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/find-eat-drink/spices-chefs-love-to-use_b_772205.html

SPICES CHEFS LOVE TO USE

Slideshow of some chefs' favorite spices, mixtures.

1. Chef Ana Sortun cooks Mediterranean-inspired food at her restaurant Oleana in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She loves the spice mixtures from La Boite a Epice.

http://www.findeatdrink.com/Index/Purveyors/Entries/2010/8/12_laboiteaepice.html

LA BO�TE � EPICE - CUSTOMIZED SPICE BLENDS

2. New York's La Fonda Del Sol chef Josh DeChellis likes Pimenton de la Vera (smoked paprika) to add to dishes to give it a Spanish flair.

3. Chef Joji Sumi of Mezze Bistro and Bar in Williamstown, Massachusetts in the Berkshires, melds Asian and French flavors with local, seasonal ingredients. His spice choice: Togarashi.
It's a blend of Asian peppers, citrus, sesame seeds.

4. Chef Jose Garces of Garces Group in Philadelphia and Chicago creates his own spices.

5. Chef Jehangir Mehta of Graffiti and Mehtaphor in New York uses turmeric, chili powder and onions when he cooks his Indian-inspired food.

6. Chef Michael Anthony of New York's Gramercy Tavern opts for simple.
Basics like sea salt enhance flavors without hiding them.

7. Chef Joshua Whigham at The Bazaar by Jose Andres in Los Angeles uses cinnamon for his playful and sophisticated cuisine.
Cinnamon is an underused spice. When cooking with cinnamon, it adds an unbelievable depth of flavor to any foods you are cooking.

8. Michelin starred chef Gary Danko of Gary Danko in San Franciscos uses coriander for both sweet and savory preparation.
Coriander adds an intriguing fragrance and character. It plays an important flavor in savory duck confit, as well as other ethnic dishes and spice blends.

FRESH GARDEN HERBS like rosemary are available in the produce departments. Trim the stem and store lightly covered with breathing room (cut holes in a paper cup or fashion a paper towel dunce cap of sorts with an open tip) so that it does not mold.

Keep in a glass jar in your fridge door with just a little water at the bottom.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's). Quinoa and the dark rices can also be used.

But she focuses mostly on very filling vegetable dishes and garden herbs.

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

==========================

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

Also look for MOOSEWOOD Cookbooks and THE ENCHANTED BROCCOLI FOREST

MEDITERRANEAN DIET (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. It's many vegetable based, with delicious herbs in the meat dishes. Quinoa, dark rices - and unsweetened pomegranate juice can be substituted.

===================

www.LotusFoods.com

Look up Black Forbidden Chinese Rice & the Red Bhutanese Rice. The nutritional content is excellent and these will help fill and fortify you, even in moderation, along with lots of vegetables.

-------------------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_wild_wehani.aspx

Wehani & Wild Rice (Organic)

-----------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/Lundberg_Black_Japonica�.aspx

Black Japonica

---------
http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Quinoa Recipes

----------
http://www.quinoa.net/4600.html

Red Quinoa Recipes
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-KRONA-Stainless-Steel-Strainer/dp/B00004RDE1

Norpro Strainer - fine
----------------------------------

When you start cooking Quinoa, be sure to have a very fine sieve or a strainer as the link above. Most strainers are not woven tight enough and the quinoa can pour right though to the sink when rinsing. That happened to me and I just started crying as my dinner went down the drain before I could even cook it.

Fine meshed strainers/ sieves are not cheap but you should be able to find one a less a cost than the one above. Just remember that if you can, buy something that will last for decades.

The regular (white/tan) quinoa must be rinsed first. Red Quinoa does not require rinsing. Not sure of the black as I've not yet gotten that that.

More good links. Be sure to also read the comment sections.

* http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/how-to-cook-quinoa-063344

How to Cook Quinoa

* http://gapersblock.com/airbags/archives/keen_for_quinoa/

Keen for Quinoa - By Cinnamon Cooper
-

[ 12-08-2010, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Harvest brand of quinoa is pre-rinsed. They also make quinoa flour and flakes.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement