LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Personality changes: how to handle them, how to explain them to others

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Personality changes: how to handle them, how to explain them to others
tiredlymie
Member # 29637

Icon 11 posted      Profile for tiredlymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I was on this board awhile ago, but my e-mail died and I don't remember my login info--so I made a new one. ^^;; Yay Lyme brain!

I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on personality changes? I just acted like a really rude, entitled, angry person to best friend I've had for eight years, and really was horrible. I can't believe I did that, and I don't even know how to explain. I apologized, and he says he's okay with it but I think he's unnerved and still ****ed off.

Everyone knows me as a really patient, quiet, amiable, laid back person, and now I'm acting HORRIBLE sometimes, being angry, having episodes of rage, hysteria, crying, hopelessness, being demanding, expecting people to do things for me, just assuming people know what I want and want to do what I want, wanting to kill myself...I feel like I'm losing my identity. Everything about "me" dies in these episodes. It's making me really, really, really upset.

I can handle being so ill I am in bed 90% of my life. But I'm really struggling to deal with symptoms that alienate the only people that make me want to keep breathing.

I feel like I should somehow be able to control them. I'm angry because it's impossible for other people to understand.

Posts: 34 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hunni. hang in there its okay. almost everyone goes through this to a certain degree. I was getting insane anxiety. I was so restless. I totally acted different too. I went on an SSRI and it helped a bit. but starting lyme treatment helped more

just hang in there. explain to people that you have a systemic bacterial infection. it effects you mentally,physically emotionally. you name it. tell them its not really you talking but its the disease. Dont feel bad about it because honsetly you cant help it. Lyme is powerful. Im assuming your at the beginning of treatment and this is the darkest time. hang in there and youll improve

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd print this up and show him. And maybe print a few other pages where people are expressing similar issues.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way. I can't get used to the fact i was fun, organized, focused and now am nothing. We're all tired. tired of feeling dead and not being able to feel life has to be one of the worst "punishments". sorry to use that word, but you cant help but wonder what you did to deserve something like this. How can someone get used to feeling dead? Let them read this thread and so many others, an animal doesn't deserve this, none the less people with heart, souls and ability to love and experience life. We all have our diseases and cross to bear. I have to keep that in mind. Its not poor me, its just unfathomable what this can do to your psyche, that your soul is in pain every day. Bad day, sorry. Better ones have to be ahead.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiredlymie
Member # 29637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiredlymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much, all of you. [Smile] You made me feel a bit better. I hope you all feel a bit better soon, too. I think my personality has stabilized to the point I appear ""normal"" again, haha! Even though the physical symptoms are so bad, sometimes it's hard to accept that the mental ones aren't controllable. I suppose I should think about it like I think about the dystonia/seizures/whatever they figure out it is: that I can't help it. ^^; But it's hard!
Posts: 34 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have crippling symptoms in this areas. The end result is always the same. People eventally leave. I understand though.

Most tell me when we first meet "Oh, I can handle it, I've dealt with it." -- but it never works.

The reality is, your a backseat driver being taken where you don't want to go. You're the victim of your own creations, like a puppet on a string.

You watch yourself say and do hurtful things, or do nothing when you otherwise would -- and you live with the consequences as they come crashing down.

It still hurts people, no matter how understanding they are. The worst part is when they talk behind my back. It's not that I blame them for it, it's just that it hurts me to know that they're suffering enough to do it.

It leads me to feel I'm a very bad person and it affects my self-esteem sometimes. It takes me months/years to rebuild and redeem myself, but I can only do that once the disease is under control. I've been off treatment since May of 2010, so you know it's not under control.

I need treatment immediately

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
going through this right now. its a week before my period and it gets pretty awful for at least 2 days. usualy on the weekends when i have only down time to think of crazy stuff. if i keep busy, i'm ok.

but yea, eventually people leave.

i try to hole myself up away from people but the ones closest to me feel the wrath. and when they do nothing in reply, i get even more upset.

someone said this to me yesterday (it helped)...

"Lower your expectations of people, they are only doing what they know how to do."

Its hard though, when you just want someone to know what to do for you and you don't know how to ask for help. without a strong support system, lyme can be unbearable.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this kind of behavior often associated with bartonella? The over-the-top kind, not just snapping occasionally because you have a chronic disease and so much trouble that came with it. Of course, if lyme can cause dementia, it can definitely affect the brain and that is where behavior comes from.

The fact is that it is hard to be around chronically sick people, however much you liked them before. Because they are needy, not able to do normal things, depressed, etc. My solution is to stay away from people, but that isn't a good solution entirely. Results in isolation. Peaceful, though.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its really challenging. I love being active and with people. but you're exactly right Lou, chronic lymies can be needy, unable to do normal things, depressed, and it makes it all worse when people don't understand WHY. it DOES make you wanna be alone.

But, thats hard too.

Just gotta do the best you can and be forgiving of yourself.

I think this is from Bart, but what do i know.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have kind of gone with the Lou dx and stay away from people.

Especially when I start to go out in my power chair and someone just happens to look at me wrong and I want to run them over.

I do better when I am feeling better.

But, still need to limit my time and choose when I am around people.

STill have trouble with that at times. Today, I need to hibernate...not doing well. Can't really get out and get myself into trouble.

Been hoping to be able to go to the grocery store for ? amount of days now and health is still not up to it.

That makes me angry. But, asking someone to go for me has turned out to be more of a negative and more taxing on the health than waiting until I can go myself.

So, I have learned to wait it out.

MOstly, I try and avoid people who are judgemental and negative and gossipy.

No patients for complainers.

Difficult to know my limits too. I will think I am doing fine and will talk (listen) to someone for about 10 min and have it set me back 2 days.

So tricky.

When I go out in my power chair, I head towards no traffic streets to avoid the noise of cars and possibly having to talk with someone.

Rarely, Can I deal with people.

I guess the bottom line is getting to know your limits and trying to stay within them. Tricky.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have given up trying to explain to others what it is like living with this...wasted energy
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement