LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Gluten/wheat/dairy/sugar free diet-weight loss/starving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gluten/wheat/dairy/sugar free diet-weight loss/starving
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on the wheat and gluten free, little sugar, just one yogurt a few days a week diet for three weeks now and it is not working for me.

I do not feel better, only worse.

I am already underweight for my height/build. I am down 2 pounds in a week (107lbs) I am sure due to this diet.

I am starving. I go to bed hungry, I wake up hungry. I am very moody as well.

I have never cared much about food. I am one of those that eats to live, not lives to eat.

Lately, I feel as though I am a dog drooling over what I cannot eat.

I know wheat/gluten is known to cause inflammation. At this point I don't care about that.

My diet concern now is going to be to avoid the yeast overgrowth. I still plan on keeping the sugar low and do my best to keep the yeast away.

I have to be able to eat enough of what I like to keep me functioning.

I work two jobs and would like to be able to resume my P90X exercise program, but cannot without enough fuel in my system.

And lastly, I am sure my co-workers and family would appreciate me giving up this diet so they don't have to deal with the cranky person I've become.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a balance in all things. It's obviously not working for you. You need more protein. Not everyone can handle the diet....

I can only give you my personal experience as example. I cut back on the "bad stuff" but didn't eliminate entirely. I just couldn't, not because I didn't want to, but for lack of will power.

But I got well. I started using STevia instead of sugar or sweeteners. Yes, I had organic honey, too! Also yogurt, red meat, and fruit; but all in balance. If I felt a craving, I ate it, but not in excess.

Drinking lots of water helps. Don't let yourself be hungry. Eat that protein, honey! But remember: balance, balance, balance. It's your choice.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you are struggling with this diet. It is certainly important that you have your energy, and that you have food that nourishes you.

I wonder what you have been eating while trying the diet? Are you eating enough fats and proteins? These are usually the areas I need help in when I'm not doing well with my food.

Also, I don't have experience going on this diet specifically for lyme, but I did change my diet in this way due to hypoglycemia many years ago. (I had lyme at the time, but didn't know it.)

The first 2 weeks on my diet I felt truly awful, and all my symptoms were worse -- exhausted, terrible headaches, achy, weak, lightheaded. My body had been used to using all the "easy energy" I got from carbs and sugar. It took time to change my body's way of handling food. I had to ease myself into it.

The next few weeks I felt bad, but not as awful. Then things got better.

It helped me to eat REALLY OFTEN during this time. I was doing an internship and also working when doing this and I just packed tons of snacks with me for the day. I ate all the time. I think people thought I was alittle strange, but it helped and I got through.

That was my experience, but obviously I don't know what the answer is for you, as we are all different, and you need to use your own judgement. Eat what your body needs.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What LymeAware said.
And I'll say it again. PROTEIN AND FAT and it takes 2-3 weeks to break the carb addiction. During those first weeks, most people feel weak and some have headaches. Your body is adjusting to something new.

It might help others making suggestions if you listed what you have been eating.

If you're not vegetarian, I'd suggest some grass-fed beef and some good fats. Don't fear fat, it keeps blood sugar stable, makes you feel full, and is good for nerve issues.

Carbs fill you up temporarily, but then you crave more carbs.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For breakfast I've been eating two pieces of UDI gluten free bread with organic peanut butter lightly coated.

I know peanut butter is a no-no, but I am allergic to almonds so no almond butter. Every once in awhile I will add a scrambled egg.

Snack choices-popcorn plain,celery/hummus,plain goat milk yogurt(sneaking in about two times a week) mainly for calcium.

I have family history of osteoporosis and low bone density myself.

Cashews until I read them being acidic, bowl of Nature's Path Mesa cereal or Eco Planet plain hot cereal with rice milk.

Lunch&dinner-grilled chicken,sauteed or steamed vegs w/ occasional brown rice or a rare yam.

I did have a Al Fresco chicken & apple sausage that had a small amount of sugar in it for dinner with a scrambled egg the other night.

I do have a small cup of organic applesauce about three times a week.

It has little sugar in it and it is the only fruit I can eat. I am allergic to fresh fruits.

We very rarely eat red meat-maybe once every three months. My husband was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 42 (2 yrs ago) and I am no beef fan myself. I prefer to keep my family away from it as it increases your colon cancer risk.

So basically that's been my diet and I am sick of it.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat Cashews... eating them now.

Eat lots of protein and good fats... and plenty of vegetables.

I also eat cashew butter on celery. Very good!

If you stray too far, you will "pay" in other ways. It won't be fun. Speaking from experience.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Lymetoo your postings are what made me want to be so strict with this to avoid the yeast overgrowth.

My LLMD only recommended staying away from gluten/wheat due to inflammation and dairy as he thinks it's too hard on our digestive system.

I am going to give in tonight with a bowl of my Nature's Path cereal before bed and for dinner I will eat my usual chicken/veggies for dinner.

I have to stay away from the acidic foods due to IC as well.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember: 2-3 vegetables (with some low sugar fruits, too) with every meal, even breakfast.

There is absolutely no need to starve nor to feel deprived on a gluten-free or an anti-inflammation diet. None at all. Humans survived thousands of generations without bread.

===========================

This is just out, all about avoid foods that may cause inflammation. There are many wonderful foods here - so much variety. Celiac note: later on wheats are listed - just avoid those to remain gluten-free.

http://www.recipesforrepair.com/

Recipes for Repair: 
A Lyme Disease Cookbook

- a wonderful study-friendly website, too.

At this site, find the Phase 1 - 4 menus. Grab by your cursor to post to your desktop and print out. You can study this while the book is being shipped.

===============================

sixgoofykids has shared: The Body Ecology Diet book -- www.bodyecology.com

Body Ecology Recipes (including for the holidays):

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/recipes.php

================================

www.christinacooks.com

CHRISTINA COOKS - Natural health advocate/ chef, Christina Pirello offers her comprehensive guide to living the well life.

Vegan, with a Mediterranean flair. Organic.

She was dx with terminal leukemia in her mid-twenties. Doctors said there was nothing more they could do. Among other things, she learned about complementary medicine and she learned how to cook whole foods. She recovered her health and is now a chef and professor of culinary arts.

She has program on the PBS network "Create" a couple times week. Check your PBS schedule.

To adapt: in the rare dishes where she uses wheat flour, it can just be left out for a fruit medley, etc. Brown Rice Pasta can be substituted (Tinkyada or Trader Joe's). Quinoa and the dark rices can also be used.

But she focuses mostly on very filling vegetable dishes and garden herbs.

Regarding her use of brown rice syrup, just leave it out and add a touch of stevia at the end.

==================

www.rickbayless.com

Rick Bayless is a very good chef for MEXICAN meals that are healthy. These are heavy on vegetables.

====================

http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/

Spoonful of Ginger site

Books: http://www.spoonfulofginger.com/pages/books.php

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER (1999)

From Nina Simonds, the best-selling authority on Asian cooking, comes a ground-breaking cookbook based on the Asian philosophy of food as health-giving. The 200 delectable recipes she offers you not only taste superb but also have specific healing . . . .

. . . With an emphasis on the health-giving properties of herbs and spices, this book gives the latest scientific research as well as references to their tonic properties according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional Indian philosophy of medicine. . . .

You can find this at Amazon, too.

=========================

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Cure-Is-In-The-Kitchen.php

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN, by Sherry A. Rogers M.D., is the first book to ever spell out in detail what all those people ate day to day who cleared their incurable diseases . . .

==========================

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-4293-from-curries-to-kebabs.aspx

FROM CURRIES TO KEBABS - RECIPES FROM THE INDIAN SPICE TRAIL - by: Jaffrey, Madhur

Also look for MOOSEWOOD Cookbooks and THE ENCHANTED BROCCOLI FOREST

MEDITERRANEAN DIET (minus the wheat and the wine) is also good. It's many vegetable based, with delicious herbs in the meat dishes. Quinoa, dark rices - and unsweetened pomegranate juice can be substituted.

===================

www.LotusFoods.com

Look up Black Forbidden Chinese Rice & the Red Bhutanese Rice. The nutritional content is excellent and these will help fill and fortify you, even in moderation, along with lots of vegetables.

-------------------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/rice_og_wild_wehani.aspx

Wehani & Wild Rice (Organic)

-----------
http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/Lundberg_Black_Japonica�.aspx

Black Japonica

---------
http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Quinoa Recipes

----------
http://www.quinoa.net/4600.html

Red Quinoa Recipes

=====================

When you start cooking Quinoa, be sure to have a very fine sieve. Most strainers are not tight enough and the quinoa can flow right though when rinsing.

The regular (white/tan) quinoa must be rinsed first (unless otherwise stated on the package. Red Quinoa does not require rinsing. Not sure of the black as I've not yet gotten that that.

==============================

* http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/how-to-cook-quinoa-063344

How to Cook Quinoa

* http://gapersblock.com/airbags/archives/keen_for_quinoa/

Keen for Quinoa - By Cinnamon Cooper
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently discovered avocados fill me up for hours and take my edge off.

Not sure why that is, but they are my new favorite thing. I feel better after I have one.

They are a healthy fat so they may help you to stop losing weight too.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Can't eat avocados either-related to bananas both of those give me a horrible stomach ache for about 5 hours if I eat them.

Avocados are a very healthy fat.

I love bananas. I used to buy jars of banana baby food to get a taste. No problems with that, just fresh bananas.

I ate some vegetarian taco mix with blue corn taco shells, lettuce, salsa, cheese and sour cream for dinner.

I will skip the bowl of cereal I am craving. I already cheated with tacos, but not too bad. It certainly beat the heck out of more chicken and vegetables.

Tomorrow, I will try to have a new attitude and continue this crazy diet for a bit longer.

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stay filled up! I hate to harp on yeast, but I've had a hard time with it.. and I have a good friend who is now on IV fungal treatment due to being on abx for a long time.

Cheese and sour cream is not good either.. go ahead.. throw things at me!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You have to learn how to cook to survive. Really. And, again, there is absolutely no reason to be deprived. Get to know a hundred vegetables this week. And a different hundred next week.

Get to know spices, seasonings and garden herbs. They can bring new life to vegetables and any kind of protein.

Get to know the different oils and how they change the taste of foods. Different cooking styles can make all the difference in satiety.
-------------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/find-eat-drink/spices-chefs-love-to-use_b_772205.html

SPICES CHEFS LOVE TO USE

Slideshow of some chefs' favorite spices, mixtures.

1. Chef Ana Sortun cooks Mediterranean-inspired food at her restaurant Oleana in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She loves the spice mixtures from La Boite a Epice.

http://www.findeatdrink.com/Index/Purveyors/Entries/2010/8/12_laboiteaepice.html

LA BO�TE � EPICE - CUSTOMIZED SPICE BLENDS

2. New York's La Fonda Del Sol chef Josh DeChellis likes Pimenton de la Vera (smoked paprika) to add to dishes to give it a Spanish flair.

3. Chef Joji Sumi of Mezze Bistro and Bar in Williamstown, Massachusetts in the Berkshires, melds Asian and French flavors with local, seasonal ingredients. His spice choice: Togarashi.
It's a blend of Asian peppers, citrus, sesame seeds.

4. Chef Jose Garces of Garces Group in Philadelphia and Chicago creates his own spices.

5. Chef Jehangir Mehta of Graffiti and Mehtaphor in New York uses turmeric, chili powder and onions when he cooks his Indian-inspired food.

6. Chef Michael Anthony of New York's Gramercy Tavern opts for simple.
Basics like sea salt enhance flavors without hiding them.

7. Chef Joshua Whigham at The Bazaar by Jose Andres in Los Angeles uses cinnamon for his playful and sophisticated cuisine.
Cinnamon is an underused spice. When cooking with cinnamon, it adds an unbelievable depth of flavor to any foods you are cooking.

8. Michelin starred chef Gary Danko of Gary Danko in San Franciscos uses coriander for both sweet and savory preparation.
Coriander adds an intriguing fragrance and character. It plays an important flavor in savory duck confit, as well as other ethnic dishes and spice blends.

FRESH GARDEN HERBS like rosemary are available in the produce departments. Trim the stem and store lightly covered with breathing room (cut holes in a paper cup or fashion a paper towel dunce cap of sorts with an open tip) so that it does not mold.

Keep in a glass jar in your fridge door with just a little water at the bottom.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the energy at the moment to respond the way I would like, but just wanted to say that honestly I too would be hungry and feel deprived if I ate only the foods you listed. I really wouldn't want to feel that way, and understand how this must feel like too much.

As others have encouraged, there are other ways to be with food.

Just quick thoughts:

- The breakfast you mentioned would not be enough for me. As Keebler mentioned, vegetables are important here, and I'd add some stronger protein. How are you with omelettes? ...heavy on the veggies.

- How are you with beans, or lentils? These really fill me up and can feel like a very rich, filling meal...once you find the flavors to add that you enjoy.

- Eggs are big in our house. These feel really good to me.

- For snacks, how about nuts? You mentioned being allergic to almonds. How bout cashews? pecans? walnuts? brazil nuts? macadamias for a treat [Smile]

- As an alternative to chicken, we often have ground turkey. This has a different feel and breaks the monotony of chicken, if you need that.

- Also, chicken thighs or drumsticks feel more filling to me than breasts.

I'm sure there are other things to add here, but that's what's at the top of my mind right now. Let us know how you're doing, and good luck!

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this hot breakfast porridge recipe. It is gluten-free, sugar free, etc.:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

The website is for yeast control, so there are many good recipes on it.

One woman with lyme is able to keep from losing weight by eating this porridge for breakfast and as a mid-afternoon snack daily. I think you will love it. I ate it daily when treating lyme disease.

Make a big batch and heat up a serving whenever you like.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I (and others) have a recipe forum at Lymefriends- there are a lot of recipes there that are low-sugar or no-sugar, almost everything is gluten-free, and many recipes are dairy-free. I tried to keep fatigued people in mind when writing up the recipes.

The link is in my signature below.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,one4islands - I'd be starving and bored on your diet too. I've been eating gluten-free, low carb, sugar-free for over 6 years. It takes a while to get used to but I soon came to love it.

There are 3 forms of carbohydrates:
1. sugar

2. starch - which breaks down into sugar. Faster if alone (like white rice or white wheat flour). Slower if with fiber (like brown rice and other whole grains). But bottom line, it still breaks down into sugar.

3. fiber - fiber isn't digested and just moves through.

The diet you posted looks like you're avoiding sugar, but still pretty heavy on starch. And VERY low in protein and fats.

Try only one piece of gluten-free toast in the morning and add at least two eggs. Use some butter or coconut oil on the toast.

If you don't eat beef, what about bison? It's leaner and bison are pretty much obligate grass eaters. Good B vitamins. Do you eat pork?

There's still chicken and fish, beans (carby, but a lot of protein and fiber), low starch veggies, and things like quinoa. Quinoa is wonderful, relatively low-carb and a complete protein. I would eat no sugar added yogurt. Olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, macadamia nut oil, butter.

As Keebler, MariaA and others have said, there are a ton of gluten-free, low-carb recipes out there.
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/chicken_recipes.html

Here's one of my favorites for cold weather, very easy to make.

Pumpkin Sausage Soup

1 to 2 pounds bulk breakfast sausage* (see below)
1/2 medium onion
1/2 cup mushrooms (optional)

1 can chicken broth (no msg)
2 chicken bouillon cubes (no msg) dissolved in two cups hot water
1 can pumpkin (~15 oz.)

(Seasonings are approximate, use more or less for your taste)
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper

1/2 to 1 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)(or coconut milk)

Brown sausage and add onions. Saut� until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, if desired.
Add broth, bouillon, and pumpkin.
Add seasonings.
Simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn off heat, stir in cream until you like the color and consistency. (If not using cream, soup wiil be a little thinner)

*I have used all kinds of sausage - bulk, link, Italian, Polish, bratwurst, chicken/apple, buffalo garlic, etc.
Each kind of sausage gives a little different flavor, but it's all good.
You can also use ham or cooked chicken.

--------------------

Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddyfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having a really hard time with food lately as well. I have not been able to take all my abx due to severe stomach bloating and stabbing pains a few weeks back. I think it is yeast but don't know for sure.

I'm still recovering. I was already low carb, no gluten, low to no sugar. But now I've been eating no carbs, no gluten, no sugar. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

I tried adding chicken in but it is hard for me to digest and no matter how hard I try I just dislike eggs. I do eat dairy, mostly in the form of cheese. I like vegetables but making them is exhausting.

So how do you do all this as a vegetarian? So many suggestions include meat and eggs. I do think my problem is not enough protein and fats.

I have lost weight as well and at 5'5" at 118 I really can't afford to. I feel malnuroished.

I am also exhausted. Trying to think of recipes is exhausting and daunting to my brain fog.

Grocery shopping about kills me.

I hardly have energy to cook.

How are people doing this? Am I the only one with such low energy that shopping and cooking is just too much??!!

I don't have anyone to help me with this (friend, partner, parent etc.) it is just me.

I've thought of having meals delivered but the only type I can find that is low carb, gluten free, no dairy, low-no sugar is raw vegan. I don't know if this will have enough calories and protein for me.

I've read the body ecology website. It is overwhelming.

Ever since I had so many problems with my stomach, have had to cut my abx in half, which I was only on the full dosage of everything for 3 weeks before, everything has been falling apart.

I don't know where to go for help. I have done all my diet changes through my own research. No direction from my LLMD who I actually have never met just her LLNP.

I feel like my brain is just caving in with too much info and confusion.

I am crying allllll the time!!! I don't feel like I'm getting any better.

I don't know how to find out if I have yeast problems, what my food sensitivities are etc.

Where do I go, who do I go to, what labs?

Sorry, I'm kind of purging on here. It has been very emotional for me lately and this food thing has made things much worse.

--------------------
Labcorp 6/10: IgM + 41, 39, 23

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
18+, 23-25+, 30+, 31+++, 34++, 39++, 41++, 58++, 66+, 83-93+
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

No memory of tick/rash. Sick 1/09. Diagnosed CFIDS 7/09. Diagnosed Lyme 7/10.

Posts: 56 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, when you are so exhausted, shopping and cooking can be overwhelming. And, thinking up recipes is impossible at this stage.

Please try to get to a health food store and buy the ingredients for the hot breakfast porridge made from quoina flakes that I mention in my post above. Here is the link again:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

Make one big batch. Then, you can eat it for a few days.

If you eat it twice per day (morning and afternoon snack), I believe it will help you. And, I believe you will love it.

If you can drive to a cafeteria or buffet, you can pick from all of their cooked vegetables. Most of them won't have sugar added. And, you can look at the salad bar.

You can also do Chinese carry out as they generally will have vegetarian dishes and are willing to leave out any ingredients you tell them to leave out. Buy enough for 2-3 days.

Also, stomach bloating and pains are signs of yeast. So, why not call your lyme doc's office tomorrow and ask if you can try a round of Diflucan to see if it helps. If it does help, you have made the yeast diagnosis and the Diflucan should get rid of it.

I don't know what meds you are on or when you started them. If you just started new meds, you could be feeling worse because of that. This should be temporary.

Also, some meds can make us depressed, weepy, emotional, or exhausted in the beginning.

If you want to post your meds and when you started them, I'll tell you if they can cause these symptoms.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i went strictly on that diet, i was loosing 5-6 pounds a week.

all i was eating was an occasional egg, some meat and some vegetables. once in a while a little milk.

i was dropping too fast and had to stop. plus i was literally starving all the time for something to eat. celery and stuff just didn't satisfy me, i was hungry all the time.

it's really rough.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddyfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF Thanks for the reply.

I will get the ingredients to the breakfast porridge you suggest. Do you know where I can get Quinoa flakes?

My meds have started, changed and stopped a lot over the past few months, especially recently, so here is my history:

I started abx treatment in September. It took me from Sept to November to get on full dosages of everything because they had me increase dosages slowly.

In November I was on full dosages which included:

Zithromax 500 mg
Rifampin 600 mg (for lyme and bartonella)
Flagyl 1000 mg

I was also on 2 different anti-fungals:

Diflucan 200 mg daily Sept-Nov and then 200 mg 3x week once I started Nystatin in Nov.

Nystatin 500,000 unit tab 2 tabs 3x day Starting in Nov

3-4 weeks ago I had sudden severe bloating and stabbing stomach pains that left me bed ridden for 5 days. I only got "better" when I only had smoothies and prilosec.

At that time my LLNP told me to stop the zithro and half my flagyl and stop the diflucan until my stomach was ok again. I had only been on full dosages of everything for about 3 weeks so I feel I've still barely started treatment.

I just started full flagyl dosage today so as of today I am taking:

Rifampin 600 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Nystatin 500,000 unit 2 pills 3x day

They want me to start Bactrim for the Bartonella after I can handle the full Flagyl dosage. I have not started that yet.

My Supplements are:

Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) 500 mg day
Smilax 2 dropper fulls a day (kill neurotoxins I think, I've only been taking half)
Burdock Root
Omega 3
Vit B Complex
VSL #3 Probiotic 225 Billion
Emergen-C

I also have a Gluten, Soy, Dairy free Rice Protein Powder with Spirulina in my smoothies.

I also take Papaya digestive enzymes but not sure they do much.

Hope that is not too confusing. Sure is for me.

Anyway, I have not started anything new until doubling my flagyl today but when this all started I had been on everything for 3 weeks.

I don't know if it is possible to get yeast when on so many anti-fungals, GSE, and pro-biotics.

I should state that I have had gi problems for 12 years that include chronic burping and bloating but never experienced the pains I had a few weeks ago.

My stomach still hasn't recovered from a few weeks ago. Whenever I eat anything but the smoothies I get bloated and uncomfortable for many hours after.

In years past I have had many doctors look into my gi probs. Gastroenterologists think I have an esophagus motility issue and am swallowing air. I had an upper and lower endoscopy in August before starting treatment and they found nothing.

The salad bar is a good idea too. I'm scared of Chinese restaurants because of the gluten and sugar that is in a lot of sauces. Also the rice. I will do a salad bar though.

I'm just tired of limiting my diet with no direction or help from the doctors and feeling sick after every time I eat and I'm not feeling any better in terms of the lyme.

How are we supposed to get better if our nutrition sucks?!!!

Shouldn't this be a priority of LLMDs, especially since they are putting us on so many abx!

I am always tired, 2 years and counting...

--------------------

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 56 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of docs including those who are naturopaths or supplement-oriented do not have expertise in the nutrition/diet department.

Unfortunately, you have to more or less do this aspect of treatment yourself unless you're lucky enough to find and afford a knowledegable nutritionist.

Check out celiac sites for recipes. A lot of the recipes are also dairy and sugar-free.

Kikkoman's soy sauce is supposedly GF. PF Changs supposedly offers gluten-free items, as do other chains, like Chili's (ribs). Granted that does seem like junk food, but it sure is a nice way to treat yourself once in a while.

A lot of BBQ sauces are GF also. Of course they are not sugar-free.

Greek yogurt with honey is good. You could add fresh or frozen organic berries.

Egg salad, hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, omelettes are great. And bacon. AAAHHH, bacon. Again, a junk food but a nice treat once in a while.

Rice too---it's filling. Cook it in chicken broth (check labels-amazingly wheat is an ingredient in some of them). And risotto! AAAHHH, risotto. So filling and so scrumptious.

There are plenty of GF pastas out there. Tinkayada is supposed to be among the best. Personally, as a pasta fiend, I'd rather go without as I can't get used to the taste, but many do.

There are also many GF pizza choices. Amy's has a pretty decent frozen option.

When you need breadcrumbs, you can make your own from rice chex, garlic powder, dried herbs, pecorino cheese.

I have found that in the beginning this diet can be expensive and time-consuming. The expense comes into play when you start buying GF bread, GF pretzels -- the carbs.

But you'd be surprised how you can get used to not having bread especially at $7 a loaf.

Try to find a chain supermarket that you can order from online and who will deliver. It makes life a lot easier.

When you are feeling halfway decent, cook enough to get you through for a few days.

Good luck to you all. It's tough in the beginning, but it gets easier.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

You get the quinoa ("keen wah") flakes at a health food store. A health food store is a store that sells food like organic vegetables, meats, gluten-free products (see freezer section), supplements, probiotics, etc. They do NOT sell just pills.

Also, you can definitely get and have a yeast infection in spite of being on diflucan and nystatin and probiotics. This is especially true if you eat foods that are simple sugars.

Did the doctor say you could have the rice protein powder? I never ate rice during lyme treatment as it is a carb and turns right into sugar.

Also, you can't eat fruit. I hope you are not putting fruit in the smoothies. Fruit contains fruit sugar and can cause yeast.

I have had a lot of bloating for most of my adult life. I eventually found out I was lactose intolerant. Now, recently, I have also become fructose intolerant.

You may want to read up on that. It means that you can't absorb fruit sugar, so fruit, high fructose corn syrup, sorbitol, and fructose will cause bloating and pain. For example, I can't eat watermelon without terrible bloating and pain. Recently I found out that Splenda will also make me sick. I ate a lot of that at Thanksgiving and was sick for a month from it (eating my husband's cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie I made with Splenda due to his diabetes).

If you have this condition, even stevia can make you sick.

So, whatever gastro issue you have had all these years could also be adding to your misery.

Did your doctor prescribe the prilosec? If so, what was the diagnosis?

If you have bartonella, it can cause severe gastrointestinal issues. I once lay at home for 10 days with severe abdominal pain. I lived on narcotic pain killers. I had learned from years of lyme symptoms that there was little sense in going to the ER as they would likely find nothing.

I went to a gyn for an exam, had a sonogram of uterus, and found nothing. So, after the 10 days I went to the ER and they did a full body scan which revealed--NOTHING.

That evening, the pains finally went away. I have to chalk this all up to bartonella which I did not even know I had at that time.

I assume the upper endoscopy found no helicobacter pylori. That is a great source of belching. So, again, I am wondering why you were given prilosec.

Anyway, the lyme docs usually give you some general guidelines on what to avoid eating while treating lyme. Your case is much more difficult since you are a vegetarian. The docs are not going to get into that. You will have to do the work to figure out how to get sufficient calories with that limitation.

You are right that you need to eat more protein and fats. Otherwise, you are going to lose a lot of weight and it can be quickly.

Eat a lot of beans, quinoa, avocados, nuts.

Here is a good recipe:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx

It is easy to make. You use whole quoina in this one. Just leave out the corn since it is a starch.

When you order from the Chinese restaurant, you tell them no rice, no sugar, no MSG. Tell them you need gluten-free soy sauce such as the Kikkoman's mentioned above.

My good Chinese restaurant near my home is very aware of these things and will leave out any ingredient I want. They will prepare the veggies using any sauce I want. They can suggest sauces that meet your dietary requirements.

Changing diet can drive you nearly crazy for the first few months. However, eventually you figure out how to adapt your favorite recipes and make new ones within the rules and you don't think about it that much anymore.

I can give you other good recipes, but they are more work. When you are able to do more food preparation, here is one I and my hubby love:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/black-bean-and-corn-salad-ii/Detail.aspx

Substitute cucumber for the corn. When I take this to a party, everyone wants the recipe.

Also, at the health food store, consider the hummus. There is even a white bean dip that is fabulous. All the ingredients are fine (white canola beans, garlic, lemon juice). Just eat the bean dip/hummus without any chips.

Rifampin can have lots of gastrointestinal side effects. See this site as an example:

http://www.rxlist.com/rifadin-drug.htm

Also, read the package insert that came with the rifampin and the other meds looking for side effects to see if any of them could be the cause of any of your current problems.

Sorry to say, I have known other lyme patients who get sick after eating. It is not uncommon. So, it could very well be the bartonella. My lyme doc told one girl that this was the cause of her neuro symptoms every time she ate.

Read the anti-yeast diet guidelines in the Burrascano lyme treatment guidelines starting on page 34:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Check your tongue daily for signs of yeast. If I ever broke the diet, I got yeast.

I hope this helps.

It is now nearly 6 years since I completed my lyme treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life. I had lyme, babs, and bart. So, keep on keeping on. It is not easy. But, you can make it to the end.

The most important thing is to have the very best lyme doctor you can. The doc is the key to getting rid of this disease. I can't emphasize that enough.

A lot of doctors treat lyme disease but not many know enough to get rid of it for someone. I went through 2 other lyme doctors before I found the one who cured me. He followed the Burrascano lyme treatment guidelines.

TF
Member # 14183

Here is a good pancake recipe:

Almond Meal Pancakes

1 cup almond flour/meal (from blanched almonds)
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon acceptable sweetener (I use Equal)

This makes about 6 pancakes

This is a great recipe for people like you who want to consume more calories and fat.

Top the pancakes with butter and cinnamon or other acceptable topping.

Almond meal is available at a health food store. It is simply finely ground almonds. Almond meal/flour is best if it is made from blanched almonds (the brown outer covering removed).

If you really like almond meal, you can buy it on line in large quantities and save money.

muddyfeet
Member # 26633

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback.

Thanks again TF. I bought the stuff for the Quinoa Porridge today and have written down your pancake recipe.

I think I even have some almond meal from Trader Joes. I just need eggs. I have agave and hope that will work for a sweetner.

I also bought some raw sauerkraut as recommended by the Body Ecology diet and am trying to add small amounts of hormone etc. free chicken.

I also printed out the other recipes. I have Burrascano's Guidelines but thanks for the link. I really hope he comes out with updated ones soon.

Anyway, I see my LLMD on Thurs for the first time and will see how she helps me or not.

--------------------

IGenex 7/10:
IFA Ind
IGenex/CDC IgM +:
IGenex IgG +:
31+, 34 IND, 41++, 58+

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
STEVIA (from a plant source is real food and safe). SweetLeaf is a good brand.

Agave has some considerations regarding glycemic index and processing techniques.

Equal� Sweetener is aspartame. Aspartame is neurotoxic and is not good for lyme patients.

Splenda is another artificial sweetener that we need to avoid.

This is just a start to the research about the neuro-toxic effects of aspartame:
-------------------------

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2384105525501310962#

EXCITOTOXINS: The Taste That Kills

VIDEO - lecture just over one hour by the author of the book, Russell Blaylock, MD (neurologist)

--------------

BOOK - http://tinyurl.com/avq449

Excitotoxins - The Taste That Kills - by M.D. Russell L. Blaylock

This is the 1997 edition

No customer reviews at this link but you can look inside the book and read (59 customer reviews) at the link for the 1996 edition of that book - http://tinyurl.com/as6je7

The customer reviews, in themselves, are an education.

============================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

aspartame - 938 abstracts

aspartame, neurotoxin 3 abstracts
-

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Keebler is correct,

Agave is high fructose and glucose. It's just like high fructose corn syrup only from the agave plant.

Equal or Nutrasweet is aspartame. Neurotoxin and should never be heated or used in cooking or baking as heat increases its toxicity.

--------------------

Infected in Maryland.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement