LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » mold smells out of kitchen sink, how do i fix??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mold smells out of kitchen sink, how do i fix??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can the odor of mold coming out of my garbage disposer make me sick?

it sure smells bad..

i've tried everything to get rid of the mold odor but nothing works.

i've tried clorox, those packets, cleaners, etc., everything and nothing works.

i have to keep the lid on all the time or else it is really bad.

i don't think i should be breathing this either. it's no place else in the house, just the kitchen sink.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had the mold smell. Have you tried running several ice cube and a lemon through the garbage disposal? This usually helps clear up any stink.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks sammy. I have a stinky sink drain too and had forgotten I used lemon in the past to help.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try vinegar. Around $3 for a gallon.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pull out the black rubber piece and scrub it with baking soda every couple weeks. I also scrub down and around the hole where the rubber piece fits. Nasty area.

Throw a cup of baking soda down the drain with very little water(just enough to dampen) once a week. It's a great air freshner.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just remove the black rubber...it is not needed...just a harbor of bacteria and scum.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've tried the vinegar and lemon, didn't touch it.

i'll try the baking soda.

anything to get rid of this. even my husband, with his nose, can smell it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could 'try' taking out the black rubber, and water stopper in,,,then filling whole sink with water and ice cubes combined.

fill another bucket or two with water.

turn on disposal, then pull plug in bottom of sink and pour buckets of water right in to add to volume,,,drown the gunk so to speak,,,lots of gunk stays inside,,not enough volume to get gone.

other idea is to take hose off bottom,,,plug drain,,,fill plum full of vinegar and let set overnight

only reason for black rubber is to keep your fingers out of it,,,take it out and soak in vinegar,,,,put it back in ONLY if you cant keep digits out while hitting the switch.

replacing that rubber hose underneath may help also,,,gunk and rubber produce stink,,,stainless steel doesnt.

Even somebody handicapped can change that hose,,maybe it is plugged. ( even that nerd that claims husband status there)

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful mixing bleach with anything that may contain ammonia this can make a gaseous poison that is much like mustard gas... and can kill you!!!! (many dish washing detergents contain ammonia)

http://firstaid.about.com/od/hazardousmaterials/ht/bleachgas.htm

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried Orange Guard, also known as TKO Orange in concentrate form? Orange Guard can be found at hardware stores and TKO Orange can be ordered - one site is www.organicorangetkocal.com - I have no financial connections -

It generally gets rid of smells and mold. Just put a little in a spray bottle and spray away. Takes about a half hour to air out of a room.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HorseHelper
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HorseHelper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi,
sometimes after bleach, the lemon etc..... to make it smell good I poor Mr. Clean or Lysol in there and just let it set.

Nasty, isn't it [puke] HHH

--------------------
I'm glad to know I'm not alone
Some peace of mind I somehow find
Through folks like you with Lyme!

Posts: 240 | From An infected state | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dump a load of baking soda down the drain and pour in a half a jug of vinegar. That'll make it a volcano and clean it out. It'll foam up good, too.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LIQUIDNAIL
Member # 30454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LIQUIDNAIL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if all else fails pull the p-trap on drain and clean it out

--------------------
misdiagnosed for 19yrs until 2007 and trying to be positive for the future

Posts: 21 | From mt.juliet tn | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HorseHelper
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HorseHelper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a very good excuse to purchase a whole new sink!!!!!

[lol] [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 240 | From An infected state | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE cleaning that rubber guard!! It's so nasty! I thought it was not only for safety but for keeping the "spray" from the disposal from going everywhere.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HorseHelper
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30255

Lyme,

When I pull that NASTY guard out, I immediately spray with bleach and get the toothbrush (my husbands, ha ha!) and scrub.

Wow, when it's clean, it smells pretty darn good! [puke]

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh... I need to take care of it...

ps.. hubby is gone...hmmmm [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thought, in addition to all the other great ideas of scrubbing the black flaps and inside the disposal unit, using citrus peels, ice cubes, etc.....

A plumber told us to fill the sink with hot water once a month. Then pull the plug and turn on the disposal until the water runs out.

If you have a double sink, fill both. Doing this monthly helps keep the drainpipe flushed out.

One other thing he told us was to not use the garbage disposal for much of anything. He said it's really just for the debris from rinsing or scraping the plates, not really for disposal of a lot of food waste, peelings, banana skins, eggshells and stuff like that.

We had called the plumber that day because the drainpipe broke where it goes into the wall under the sink.

When he pulled the piece out, we could see that the inside of the pipe was caked with sludge that hadn't gotten rinsed away over the years.

Granted, it was old, but I had no idea there would be so much residue in it.

Good luck!
Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nutmeg you are correct, You can dump anything you want down the drain, it will just cover it up. Bleach will kill the mold so you dont have to worry about that. but any drain pipe before the ptrap can and will harbor food gunk, that is more than likely what you are smelling. Other than taking the pipes apart, you could try liquid plumber foaming, it may help. but first clean your disposal then check the pipes. I have seen pipes clog from the residue build up. And it smells like hell.

--------------------
Help I am being forced against my will to learn medicine!!!

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vinegar,

I love combining vinegar and baking soda

What fun!

it works to get stains out of carpets!

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, but be careful,

it makes your carpet crunchy

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi if you do it yourself i can give you some tips and talk you through it

--------------------
Help I am being forced against my will to learn medicine!!!

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymiss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lysol disinfectant spray is the best thing I have found for killing mold AND getting rid of the smell. We had some horrible humidity issues in our house several years back and ended up with mold growing everywhere - on the walls, floors.. it was really bad.

Bleach will get rid of the smell and lighten the mold, but it doesn't always kill it the first time so you end up bleaching over and over and over and that's a pain in the butt.

Lysol disinfectant spray. Best stuff in the world!

Posts: 156 | From Virginia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this. I use baking soda and vinegar (makes a little volcano, lol.

Put lemon peels down the disposal and grind them up for a fresh smell after you let the baking soda and vinegar sit a while. Bleach is the only thing, that I know of, that will actually kill the mold.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement