LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » a new low

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a new low
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 13 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've pumped gas into my car for just about 40 years and have never had this happen, but in my current brain-dead state achieved a first.

thought i'd cut the gas off at the end of pumping, but forgot that I'd used that little lock-lever thingy on the pump. took the pump out of my tank and wheeeee!!

gas kept pumping out of the hose like it was water at full blast. couldn't figure out what the heck was wrogn, so turned the handle towards me to look.

drenched myself in gas. i mean, dripping wet. coat soaked, sweater soaked down to my burning skin, shoes soaked, pants soaked.

30 or so degrees outside but couldn't tolerate the reek of gas in the car for the 12 miles home, so all windows open, and even then, gagged the way home.

a new low. putting the coffee pot away in my refrigerator is funny, dripping with gas.. not so much.

to better days..

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a pretty ****ty experience.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugggh.

So sorry. You are actually lucky you made it home and didn't pass out from the fumes.

I agree... here's to better days!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm soooo sorry this happened to you, dilly. [Frown]

You are fearfully and wonderfully made and that includes your brain! (It's just taking a short vacation.) [dizzy]

You are NOT this illness!! [shake]

Don't be discouraged (longer than necessary)! Can you feel our hugs? [group hug]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, guys. i'm ok, really, way stinky still, but OK.

fact is i'm about to climb in a bath- again, this time with Key Lime Pie bubble bath.

my hubbie gave the bath stuff to me for xmas, in memory of another accident.

when i was over 9 months pregnant, 3 days away from giving birth, i had the most wicked craving ever, and for key lime pie. i mean, i would have done anything to for a slice of that pie.

my dear hubby went to the store and brought one back for me, bless his heart, and we let it thaw in the fridge for some hours, me panting all the while.

finally, drooling, i opened the fridge door, pulled out that glorious pie, and BAM! dropped the whole thang upside down on the floor, big SPLAT!!

I looked down in disbelief, then screamed! My husband came running downstairs to the kitchen, thinking it was time for the big event.

Instead, what he found was a sight he'll never forget, which was of me, on bended knees, licking up that pie straight off the floor!!!

Hehe hehehe!! Man oh man did that pie taste gooooooodd!! Best ever.

Now, to go soak in the smell and hope the gas-reek fades.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... You're very lucky you didn't catch fire! With the static electricity in the winter it is a real danger when pumping gas!!

What a horrible thing you went through! I would have been totally freaked out.. and then to have to smell that gasoline...!! UGH!!!

Hope the smell goes away soon so you can have a restful day!

--love the key lime story! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm. key lime pie a la gas smell? who knew those 2 things could go together?! [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

PS= tutu- if it had occurred to me i could catch fire I'd have been totally awesomely freaked out. as it was, i was praying i wouldn;t simply pass out from the fumes on the way home, they were that strong, even with all windows open.

it crossed my mind to strip down for the ride home, but i figured there are enough road hazards out there as it is...
[Razz]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you had thought about catching fire, the gas attendant may have doused you in kitty litter to absorb the fuel. Then we'd have a gas, key lime pie, kitty litter story.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

6--

[lol] [lol] [lol]

why is it i can picture that???!

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you have got to be kidding.....that tops anything i've done and i thought i was the worst.

i am so glad you weren't hurt.

we had a guy in san antonio who died because of something with a gas pump. i think it kept on pumping and just exploded.

we should all be careful.

my good friend with lyme pumped her gas and just drove off. didn't pay and still had the gas line in her car.

she had to pay for damages and all cause she tored the gas pump up pretty bad. didn't hurt her car but she had a time explaining to the police. she was cited and from then on her husband drove and filled the car up.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Randi-

i'm thinking there maybe something is wrong with me, but it isn't because of pumping gas all over myself today, its that i'm reading what you wrote and laughing at the thought of someone driving off with the pump still IN HER CAR.. [lol] [lol]

Isn't that the slightest bit funny to you?? Not in reality, of course, but umm.. in a Lymie-world kind of way?

It's reasssuring to me that there are still lower lows than the ones I reached today. Umm. at least, i think i'm reassured.. [Roll Eyes]

(as for the thought i could have simply exploded today.. can't really go there, mostly cause i'm laughing at myself too hard..)

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

PS- if you ever have to read my obituary, and i died because i blew myself up accidentally, please remember me as someone who died laughing at herself.

Lyme may have destroyed my brain, but it is never going to stop me from wanting to be happy and doing everything I can to to stay laughing...

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can picture it, too! I always said that without the cognitive fun, Lyme was just pain and fatigue!! Keep laughing!

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesdilly:
[QB] PS- if you ever have to read my obituary, and i died because i blew myself up accidentally, please remember me as someone who died laughing at herself.

Lyme may have destroyed my brain, but it is never going to stop me from wanting to be happy and doing everything I can to to stay laughing...

[lol]

I saw a picture one time of someone with a gas hose in their car ... still attached and she was driving around with it. OOPS.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

BIG oops!!

[lol] [lol]

wonder if you get better gas mileage if the pump is still attached to your tank???

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Least we are assured your a non smoker. A real die hard smoker would have lit up forgetting the hazzard in that drive home!!!

Driving off with hose still in tank,,,not very hard to do when your doing twenty things at once. They are equiped with an expensive little break away for that.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

hmmm...,jdon-

fess up- have YOU driven away with a hose attached?

inquiring minds want to know.. [Smile]

[kiss] dill

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,
Ugh, what an awful experience.

I think you should start a thread in medical, regarding methods of detox for this.

You were drenched in a hydrocarbon.

Carol

[ 01-12-2011, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it isn't polite to laugh. I was taught better than that... but I can't help it.

[lol]

I can picture that too...

And a bath tub filled to the top with kitty litter and you in it with your wash cloth scrubbie and rubber duckie floating (crunching) around on the top of the kitty litter.

And little white kitty litter pieces all stuck in your hair.

And 6 cats scratching at the bathroom door wanting to get in.

And your hubby with a pooper-scooper taking the gas clumps out of the tub with you sitting in there grinning at him.

And the kitty litter mess all over the rugs in the bathroom... and your kitty litter tracks all through the bedroom that came off your bare feet.

OH MY!

[lol]

Since you are ok... it is ok to have some fun with it now. NOT fun when it happened though. I know.

I have a special music festival I like to go to and not once... but twice... 2 years apart... I stopped at the same gas station on the way to get gas.

The same thing happened to me BOTH TIMES!!!! The darn clip got stuck "on".

But luckily I only got my shoes, socks, legs and my feet soaked. And luckily I had extra clothes with me for spending several days camping... so I could wash and change.

But I still smelled nasty the whole way there. UGGGG!!!

You must have been miserable.

And while we are on the subject....

Reminder to all...

DO NOT USE the cell phone at a gas pump!!!!

Ka-BOOM!!!!

And that's NOT funny!!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerifrog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerifrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,
I worked at (managed) a gas station before I married years ago. I found out the hard way, gas is absorbed into the skin, which is why you still smell of it. It can have some lingering effects.

I found some info on a couple of sites just in case you would like it.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mhmi/mmg72.html

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/gasoline/health_gas.html

Hope you feel okay after your noxious "shower".
Geri

Posts: 151 | From Kingston NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Dilly,

I think Carol in PA is correct. You should contact your doctor about this. In the ride home, you likely inhaled and absorbed some pretty toxic stuff.

I don't know how to handle this but I'd call your state's Poison Control Center and ask them if you can't get to your doctor right away.

You may also need to address the fabric in your car so you won't be inhaling it for days/weeks to come --- and so that it's not a fire hazard if someone lights a match nearby. Oil soaked fabric can be a problem.

Your clothes may need to be thrown out in a special manner so as not to be a fire hazard as well. Inside of a sealed plastic bag, they could cause spontaneous combustion.

Your county's department of hazardous waste should be able to guide you.

Whatever you do, do not wash and then put in the dryer. The dryer could catch on fire as it's very hard to wash away petroleum in a regular washer with regular soap. I'd want to be very sure of the procedure for this.

Actually, the gas station manager should be able to guide you on this - I'm sure it's happened before and they probably have to deal with them themselves at times.

Sorry this happened. Good luck as you recover from it.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Keebler-

yep, I definitely have a problem with gas-soaked fabric in my car.

went out this AM to get the snow off and warm it up and just opening the door and getting one whiff about knocked me out. the smell is as bad today as it was yesterday.

the drivers seat looks like it has a patch of oil on it... the gas must have soaked all the way through the fabric.

will try to figure out today what to do about this- i covered it up with a large plastic bag so that i didn't ruin my back-up winter coat, but obviously a plastic bag isn't a solution. i'm thinking i may have to cut the fabric all the way out.

thanks for the warning about disposing of my clothes and coat. My hubby told me yesterday i needed to throw all of it out, but i'll do so properly.

He freaks at the thought of any exposure to benzene, understandable since he was exposed to large amounts of it when he was on active duty in the Army, and got leukemia as a result.

I'm OK (this to Carol, especially), though feeling a bit dizzy. Since i didn't wake up feeling dizzy, I think its from having to inhale more fumes for the half hour it took to drive my son to school and to return home.

And yes, it made me VERY unhappy to have my son breathing those fumes too. I made him keep his window open to lessen the impact, but like yesterday, even with the windows open the smell was unbearable.

Thanks for the links, Gerifrog- I'll look those up now.

And TinTin- TWICE at the same gas station?! Yikes. I don't suppose you'll return there?

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

There was actually someone who drove away from the gas pump close to us, this was years ago, and it all exploded. It was really tragic.

Sorry about all the aftermath Dilly. [Frown]

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I don't know about the newer car engines as to if they still emit a spark upon starting but I would not turn that ignition key again - until you talk with your fire officials.

As LymeToo reminds us: "static electricity in the winter" can also pose a very serious risk in the presence of gasoline and other chemical fumes. A static spark can happen as you even open your car door.

If someone (not you) cuts out the soaked fabrics, a knife or scissors hitting a metal frame could also spark. This is a job for professionals, indeed.

I don't thing ANYONE should drive or ride in the car - for may reasons (#1: fainting) - even a professional you find to help remedy this situation. They may not want it in their shop due to fire hazard and may be able to come to you.

My guess is that even your local fire department would come to you to remove the seat and soaked fabric and take it with them. They could remove the fabric and bring back the sold seat frame, perhaps.

Your auto insurance may pay for this.

Please call the non-emergency number for your fire department immediately. Even in cold weather, if covered with plastic, this could ignite with buildup of gases.

And - anyone in the vicinity of the car who might just light a match could pose a risk. If you or a nearby neighbor has a pilot light for a gas furnace in their garage - or a gas dryer, etc. - that could pose a risk.

In my state, this is common but, in your area with colder temps it may not be common to have furnaces and laundry appliances in the garage but you need to be sure you are not parked anywhere near a pilot light.

You also don't want to be near anyone who is starting a leaf blower, lawn mower or snow blower as a spark from their ignition could trigger an exposition from the fumes in your car. This could happen from some distance away.

** Can you rent (or borrow) a car for now? Your auto insurance may even pay for it.

If not, consider taxis and food delivery services (which are free from some stores).

I think you need to call your doctor as you may need special kidney and liver care. Absorbing gasoline can be very toxic to your body and it's very difficult to metabolize.

* I don't think anyone should be riding in the car, even with the windows open.

Gasoline is a neurotoxin. Even a very slight exposure will impair your reaction time and ability to think. I don't think any lyme patient should even pump their own gas, or even go to a gas station - let other family drivers or friends fill up the car.

I've had set-backs of weeks just from being at a gas station, even if not filling up a car myself - or even if the attendant filled it up, which is best if you absolutely have to be there as, even if another person in the car pumps the gas, the smell on their hands can knock me out for a week. Pay a little more for the attendant help.

* Inhaled fumes can still be a problem and can irritate the nasal passages and the lungs and the fumes will still go right to the brain.

The lung irritation can lead to pneumonia, coupled with the cold air.

I think you need someone who is a specialist in how to deal with the car materials, truly someone trained in hazardous waste remediation but, even then, you may need to replace all the absorbent materials that got soaked.

Steam cleaning with certain chemicals may be an answer but, again, this calls for a specialist and you don't want to have to smell other chemicals for the next 3 years either.

I'm really sorry this happened and I do not want to sound like an alarmist but this is a very serious situation and it's still a fire hazard, especially if wrapped in plastic.

I would start with the inside of your phone book: The Poison Control Center. Then your doctor for yourself and for your son.

If you have any type of porphyria, this would be a much greater concern and you should be monitored for elevated porphyrins and take all measures to keep those down.

This could cause elevated porphyrins that could even become fatal. All care is needed here - and for some time as that is in your body and your body will likely be reacting for some time until special measures are taken.

And, your son can be getting elevated porphyrins just from inhaling it - even with open windows as the oil still seems to target the brain transmitters, etc. I hope he likes carrot juice.

If your doctor takes this as seriously as I hope, you may be able to actually get insurance to cover a series hyperbaric oxygen therapy to help your body detox the hydrocarbons.

Your son may also be considered for this.

Good luck.

=============================
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA

Includes links from GiGi, Dr. K, and others about KPU / HPU (mauve factor) . . .

MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity / Environmental Illness) links here also. You might want to contact the leader of that group.

==========================

http://ciin.org/

The CHEMICAL INJURY Information Network (CIIN)
-

[ 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Really, the gas station manager should have handled this as an emergency and called in some professional, emergency help right when it happened.

There is much more than just gasoline in your car fabric now.

It's been reacting with all the other chemicals from synthetics such a foams, glues, fabrics, etc. and is sort of cooking a chemical stew now that is more than "just gasoline" - so when covered with plastic, that internal chemical heat can create an explosive mix, even with no spark around - and even in the winter.

That's how those inserts of boot and glove warmers work, by mixing certain chemicals - and they can get pretty toasty even in a blizzard. The mix in your car is much more advanced than boot warmers.

The same for the plastic bag that I assume your clothes are stored in - the gasoline is likely "cooking" the fabrics now inside of the bag.

From a web search for: "Spontaneous combustion" gasoline "plastic bag"

"He NEVER lit the gasoline, it spontaneously combusted. The matches were 50 feet away. . . ."

"Spontaneous Combustion Is The Cause Of Trash Fire . . ."

=================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion

Spontaneous combustion

=========================

www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/disaster/haz/hazmat.html

Hazardous Materials Accidents

Seven page pdf

Excerpts:

1. If you witness a hazardous materials accident, spill or leak, call 911, your local emergency number or the fire department as soon as possible.

[insert: now, you could call the non-emergency number for your fire department. Just see the inside cover to your phone book.]

6. Avoid contact with any spilled liquid materials, airborne mist or condensed solid chemical deposit.

After a Hazardous Materials Incident

3. A person or item that has been exposed to a hazardous material may be contaminated and could contaminate other people or items. If you have come in contact with or been exposed to hazardous materials:

Follow decontamination instructions from your local authorities.
Stay away from water or showers until you know if the material reacts with water.

Seek medical treatment for unusual symptoms that may be related to hazardous materials release.

If medical help is not available immediately and you believe you may be contaminated, remove all of your clothing and shower thoroughly (unless authorities advise otherwise).

Change into fresh, loose, warm clothing and seek medical help as soon as possible.

Place exposed clothing and shoes in tightly sealed container without allowing them to touch other materials and call local authorities to find out about proper disposal.

Advise others who come in contact with you that you may have been exposed to a toxic substance.

4. Report any lingering vapors or other hazards to your local emergency services.

5. Find out from local authorities how to clean up your land and property.

. . . Do not store flammable liquids such as gasoline and kerosene in a garage or . . . Spontaneous combustion can occur if the flammable liquid vapors escape. . . .
-

[ 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, Hugs galore to you - well, from a distance, anyway ! Please keep us posted. I hope the remedies go well and that you can have some good laughs along the way.

By the way, even a whiff of gasoline and my brain just checks out - I cannot think enough to even button my coat or cross the street. So, it's normal to be dazed from this experience. Take care.
-

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Keebler-

thanks for all the good info, and for your concern.

No wonder you take gas hazards so seriously, if one whiff affects you that badly.

My clothes aren't in a plastic bag-- i threw them onto some bricks in the backyard, and there they have sat, through the mini-snowstorm we just had. Didn't know what else to do, and now i don't want to have to go near them.

As for car seat.. i opened all the windows and left them open all day, and doused the seat with a mixture of vinegar & dish detergent, which was suggested online for gas spills on car upholstery (fabric).

i just braved goign out and smelling the car, and it is MUCH better. I left the windows half open for the night-- might find some critters curled up in there in the AM, but figured that would also be a good sign that the car is clean, yes? [Big Grin]

thanks again...
dill

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
And a bath tub filled to the top with kitty litter and you in it with your wash cloth scrubbie and rubber duckie floating (crunching) around on the top of the kitty litter.

And little white kitty litter pieces all stuck in your hair.

And 6 cats scratching at the bathroom door wanting to get in.

And your hubby with a pooper-scooper taking the gas clumps out of the tub with you sitting in there grinning at him.

And the kitty litter mess all over the rugs in the bathroom... and your kitty litter tracks all through the bedroom that came off your bare feet.

Tincup, were you a movie director in a former life? You are a hoot!!!

Especially "hubby with a pooper scooper taking the gas clumps out of the tub!"

Oh my, I am still howling!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

(Not that the reality was funny, just the movie you'll make about it!)

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,
I'm very concerned about the vapors you've inhaled.

Quotes from the link that Geri provided:

Children exposed to the same levels of gasoline vapor as adults may receive larger doses because they have greater lung surface area...

...prolonged skin contact with gasoline can degrease the skin, causing irritation and dermatitis.

Gasoline vapors sensitize the myocardium which may result in ventricular fibrillation.
Delayed effects may include hemorrhage of the pancreas and fatty degeneration of the liver and of the...kidneys.

Immediate effects of exposure to gasoline are primarily due to pulmonary injury and CNS depression.

Acute gasoline exposure can cause transient CNS (central nervous system) excitation followed by CNS depression.
Confusion, giddiness, nausea, headache, blurred vision, dizziness, and weakness can occur.

Gasoline can irritate the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
Pulmonary congestion, edema, acute exudative tracheobronchitis, and intrapulmonary hemorrhage have been reported in severe exposures.

Exposure to certain chemicals can lead to Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS), a chemically- or irritant-induced type of asthma.

Children may be more vulnerable because of relatively increased minute ventilation per kg and failure to evacuate an area promptly when exposed.

Cardiovascular
Gasoline vapors sensitize the myocardium to circulating epinephrine which may cause potentially fatal ventricular fibrillation.

Dermal
Gasoline vapors can cause inflammation of the skin.
Prolonged contact with liquid gasoline causes significant irritation, degreasing, and burns. Redness and blisters may occur.

Potential Sequelae
Acute hydrocarbon-induced CNS depression generally is completely reversible after exposure ceases unless the episode has been complicated by lack of oxygen.

Basic Decontamination
Patients who are able and cooperative may assist with their own decontamination.
If the patient's clothing is wet with gasoline, remove and double-bag the contaminated clothing and personal belongings.

Flush exposed skin and hair with plain water for 2 to 3 minutes (preferably under a shower), then wash with mild soap.
Rinse thoroughly with water.

Patient Information Sheet
What immediate health effects can result from gasoline exposure?

Breathing gasoline vapor can cause headache, nausea, and dizziness.
Extremely high levels can cause fainting and even death.
Gasoline in the air can also irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.
Gasoline splashed in the eyes can cause eye injury.
Swallowing gasoline can cause irritation of the gastric tract and breathing difficulties.
When liquid gasoline contacts the skin, it may cause redness and blisters.
Generally, the longer the exposure or the greater level of exposure, the more severe the symptoms.

Are any future health effects likely to occur?
A single small exposure from which a person recovers quickly is not likely to cause delayed or long-term effects.

What tests can be done if a person has been exposed to gasoline?

Specific tests for the presence of gasoline in blood generally are not useful to the doctor.
If a severe exposure has occurred, blood and urine analyses and other tests may show whether the nervous system, heart, kidneys, liver, or lungs have been damaged.
Testing is not needed in every case.

Call your doctor or the Emergency Department if you develop any unusual signs or symptoms within the next 24 hours, especially:
stomach pain or vomiting
coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath
confusion or fainting
increased pain or a discharge from exposed eyes
increased redness pain or a pus-like discharge in the area of a skin burn
lack of or infrequent urination

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Dilly,

Along with Carol's post, I strongly urge you and your son to seek medical care - and avoid getting back into the car. There is no way just airing it out, or even trying to absorb the gas will work. It will take professional attention from someone trained in this area.

Please. I know it seems like alarmist talk and there are a lot of calls to make - but this is a very, very serious matter. You've just had a very toxic exposure that can't be washed away with a shower. Both you and your son have inhaled fumes - along with cold, moving air.

I'm not judging you here but I know this will require professional help from fire officials, doctors and others - from all my past exposures from even trying to get rid of cologne and scented problems (nothing works short of throwing out items).

Just airing out your car is not likely to prevent the fire hazard as petroleum that has seeped into the car can still pose a huge risk. On warmer days in springtime, this will come back to fumes. Petroleum does not just dissipate into the air. It has to be physically removed from every nook and crevice.

Even the fumes that have seeped into the fabrics of the car you did not sit on may need to be treated or removed.

I am sorry to repeat myself here but as you apparently are not now chemically sensitive so it may seem impossible - but this one episode can change your life forever - and that can cause enormous pain to your life far beyond the pain and isolation involved with having lyme.

For your son, too, this one exposure could change his life for years to come. However, prompt and serious medical attention could prevent that.

One of my early jobs at a radio station was - just one day every couple weeks - to run a small printing press and make flyers. My hands were soaked in ink and cleaner for just about an hour. I could taste it. I wanted a gas mask but my boss refused. There was no window. But it was just an hour every couple weeks. Within a couple months, I was passing out and very, very ill.

The list of chemicals in the printing supplies has no warning and were not considered dangerous. That was about 1978. But that exposure ruined my life - even up to today I have seizures when around anyone wearing cologne, which is petroleum based. But I can't go out at all anyway (for reasons far more extensive than MCS), so it's just the way it is but MCS certainly is a huge - (I don't have the word I need). You don't want that for yourself or for your son.

My experience is not unique. So many with MCS say that it was just one event or a series of seemingly minor exposures far less than what you experiences yesterday and today. Don't let it ruin your life or that of your son. Brain damage, heart damage, kidney and liver damage can result from your exposure.

I do hope you have a doctor who will take this seriously. If not, you might contact the MCS link in the porphyria thread for doctors in your area who are educated in chemical injury.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm cracking up over this too!! Tincup, you are a CASE!

"And your hubby with a pooper-scooper taking the gas clumps out of the tub with you sitting in there grinning at him.

------------

but seriously, I would call the local fire department and ask them if it is safe to start that car again. They may have some suggestions for cleaning it out too.

One little spark could be tragic.

-----

I actually had a problem one time while pumping gas. The pump did not shut off! (if I remember correctly) All I remember is chewing their butts and calling the fire department about it.

(fortunately, I did not get any gasoline on me)

They went out and checked the gas station. The fireman told me they'd had another complaint. My question was why the station was still allowed to use that pump!!?

That was the last time I stopped there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Just a quick note-

Keeb and Carol, I understand your concern, am not ignoring it, just think things are OK.

I saw my brand-new PCP today, who is sympathetic to Lyme (she's had it 3 times herself), and who is extremely interested in learning more. good stuff there.

she was not overly concerned about the gas spill. told me to keep car windows at least partially open, driving or not, and to do my best to clean up the seat, but other than that- no worries.

Since I'm feeling no ditzier or dizzier or dumber than usual, i'm going with that advise for now.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to exacto-knife out all the seat fabric, since now it smells like gassy vinegar (YUCK), but that's tomorrow.

thanks again...

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I strongly disagree with your doctor. Most doctors don't have a clue to the problems that such a toxic bath can cause. Did she know that you were basically soaking neck to toe in gasoline for at least 30 minutes or longer? That can have some very serious effects.

Still, I hope you do feel better soon.

It's important to not put any gasoline soaked clothes in the washer or dryer as you may never get the gasoline out of the machines and it can contaminate other clothing, the machines and, with the dryer pose a fire risk.

Soap, alone, will not cut gasoline.

Where you clothes were put outside, be sure that food you will consume from your garden next summer is not around that area or in the path of the water run-off from that.

I hope both you and your son do well with this but I really would consult an expert in chemical injury to mitigate problems that could occur as your body works to deal with the gasoline that was absorbed.

Good luck.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Go buy a new seat.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

(((((((Keebler)))))))))

Toots- sigh. i know that's right, but an exacto knife is soooo much easier, and i don't care 2 figs for what my car looks like.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry this happened to you.

I agree with Keebler, this should have been handled as an emergency by the gas station. Just taking off your gasoline soaked clothes is dangerous! The gas station should have wetted your clothes down before you took them off and given you something else to wear home.

I don't know that I would trust all of the info in this pamphlet but some of it seems good.
http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/consumers/safety/fuel_safety.pdf

Now you have gasoline vapors in your car! That is a hazard that must be dealt with before you can drive it again. There may be laws in your State about how this kind of accident should be handled. The gas station may need to remediate the problem for you.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry this happened to you. Must have been miserable!! I didn't read every single post, so if this was already mentioned, I apologize.

Maybe you should stay out of the car until you can get a new seat etc. Also, there are restoration companies that specialize in cleaning things such as this.

The exterminator set off a chemical bomb in my husband's office here at home (to kill a few ants). It contaminated the room and just about killed me. They hired an outfit to come in and clean it and ran an ozone filter in the room. It was mess, but they finally got it resolved.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I know you really don't want to hear any more warnings and I am sorry to be a pest about this. However, in light of that link that TerryK posted has some very good detail - I just can't help but plead with you to:

* Call the non-emergency number for your fire department ASAP for guidance and to make an official report of chemical accident.

* Not ride in it. I'd not even open the door for fear of creating a spark or static electricity.

* Be very careful with any tools near the car.

I was shocked to learn that your car could still ignite in 49 degrees below zero and the fumes hang low in the air and can penetrate the whole car as the fumes move about.

If you try to take an exact-o knife to this, the static electricity created could cause an explosion. The gasoline, by now, has permeated the car fabric and, as it works on other chemicals in the fabric, may be even more dangerous regarding explosion potential.

If you file an accident report, you may be covered for repairs to your car. It really sounds like the pump had a problem. It should have stopped. It needs to be inspected if it has a trigger problem.

** Even if you adjusted the nozzle for continuous filling of your tank, it should have shut off immediately upon removal from your tank.

from TerryK's link:
-----------------------------

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/consumers/safety/fuel_safety.pdf

Excerpts from Page 4

SOME FACTS ABOUT GASOLINE

We all know that gasoline is highly flammable. But it's not actually the liquid that burns. Even at a temperature as low as - 45�C., [-45 �C = -49 �F] gasoline gives off vapour - and it's the vapour that ignites.

The vapour is also heavier than air, so it lingers at ground level and in enclosed spaces, and it flows in pools and gaseous streams wherever a breeze takes it.

All it takes to create a violent explosion is fuel vapours, enough oxygen, and a source of ignition -- like a spark from a cigarette, a ** hot exhaust pipe,** faulty wiring, or a wisp of vapour or a wisp of vapour reaching the open flame of a pilot light or a match.

Even something as seemingly innocuous as the spark from a static electricity discharge can cause gasoline vapours to explode if it happens near enough to their source. Remember that when you move around in your vehicle, you can build up a static electricity charge in your body.

** Research shows that the energy content of the resulting static electricity charge in your body is many times the spark energy required to ignite gasoline vapours. . . .

. . . Even aside from its explosive potential, gasoline can be hazardous stuff. Spilled on the skin, it dries up naturaloils and fats. The skin dries and cracks, and secondary infections may follow.

Gasoline vapours can cause dizziness, vomiting, unconsciousness, even death, if inhaled in strong enough concentrations.

** And even after it dries, it's still flammable when absorbed into clothing or shoes, or on the skin. . . . [or car fabric] **

================================

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/gasoline.htm

Illinois Dept. of Health - Environmental Health - Fact Sheet

Excerpts:

. . . Typical gasoline contains about 150 different chemicals, including benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene, which also are known as the BTEX compounds.

Gasoline also contains chemicals such as lubricants, anti-rust agents and anti-icing agents that are added to improve car performance. . . .

. . . The most common additive used in gasoline is methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE). . . .
-

[ 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dilly,

Just actually saw this post, and although, I spot read it, I strongly urge you to listen to Keebler, Carol and whoever else has issued some very caring, sensible and excellent advice as to the precautions you need to take with your health and your car.

AS a retired trauma nurse and EMT, I have seen situations that seemed somewhat benign and turned out very differently.

Calling your local fire dept is a VERY good idea. They will be more than happy to speak with you and perhaps even come out to check the car.

PLEASE take this seriously, as we are all concerned about you,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If tomato juice takes off skunk smell,,,should work for gas.

YEARS ago, in another lifetime, after painting all day with oil paint we would wash off the paint with gas direct on our skin and lots of it.

Used to wash out bearings and greasy parts before repacking them by swishing in gas with hands.

It has been done for years and never heard of a direct adverse result. Cleaning solvents are basicly the same thing.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

thanks again for the concern and for the time spent looking up info on gas as toxin.

i'm fine, my car stinks only of vinegar now, not gas, and cloth stuff is safely disposed.

all's well that ends well.

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm....I love the smell of gas. Just when it's pumping into your car, though. Doesn't it kind of make you high a little?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Tracy-

ummm, no, actually, don't love the smell of gas, never did, now less than ever.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement