LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » IP Address banned - couldn't post on forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IP Address banned - couldn't post on forum
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummm.... why?
Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that once a long time ago....not sure what happened.
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happened to another member here today also. Wonder if it has anything to do with that Lyme Web Ring that has infiltrated lymenet?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just had the Web Ring thing pop up again for me. Had to get in through a back door, lol.
Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't get in earlier either.

This IP address thing happens from time to time. Contact Jenifer. It's nothing personal!!

--PS I just "reported the post" to Jenifer.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to General Support...

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeNet Users,

We are implementing a process to eliminate or significantly curtail ForumSpammer activity on the LymeNet Flash. Due to rapidly increasing ForumSpammer activity, originating from domains / IP addresses, outside the US and Canada ... mainly eastern Europe, Asia and South America with some from the Mid-East and Africa, we made a Board of Directors decision to limit access only to users in the US and Canada. I know we have valid members in Germany and UK, also a few in Australia who are active ... unfortunately they are going to all be blocked as we do not have any technological way to allow individuals from those countries / regions access to the LymeNet Flash.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work to make the LymeNet Flash a safer place for all of you to get help and support in your battle against Lyme and other TBD's.

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lou there are several members in the United states who have been blocked

if you need IP's let me know

your new system is blocking current members in the United States.

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was blocked. But now I'm back in.

Suggestion, if it's not too much trouble, perhaps send a message to those outside of the US as to why they are being blocked, so they don't wonder why they can no longer post. (I felt the panic when I was shut out yesterday.) There are some special people who have become like dear friends. Will miss them....

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, when Lou explained to me what they were doing, he said that they were doing some work yesterday that may have temporarily banned US and Canadian members. If they're still blocked today, please let us know.

Tammy, I can't do that as I would have to know all their screen names and their email addresses. Hopefully they will see this thread.

The spammer problem had gotten way out of hand. Due to the behind the scenes work, you didn't see it on the board.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow...thank goodness same as Tammy N........felt panic when it said I was blocked.....what had done or said wrong !!!.....anyway now i am back in and understand what is going on.......

Phew.!!.......this is the only lifeline I have to people that understand.......thanks Lymenet.....

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was out too yesterday.

So you mean Brussels, Echorox, Daniel, and all the others will be banned? Oh, this is terrible! We need them and they need us. Sad, sad day.

I'll let Brussels and Echorox know. Anyone have Daniel's email?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're banning people in Europe? Are they crazy? Serious question.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyrlb
Member # 15686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyrlb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooooo, so that 's why I couldn't get on yesterday...now I know...

Thanks.

Posts: 2188 | From Oklahoma | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my this is very sad.

I hope and pray you can find another solution to the spamming quickly.

If suddenly I were banned with no clue...

it could tip the balance.

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Test run.
-

It worked. Adding, then, to edit: working again for me.

I figured my being "banned" was just a blimp on the screen and for them to have fixed it within a day is really remarkable for a volunteer site. ( I've had an iPod for 3 years and still can't figure out how to make it work.)

I have to thank the LymeNet folks, each one.

SGK is correct. The spammers are a mighty force and I certainly understand that something has to be be done to block their stealth attempts to blanket all sites with spam.

Fine tuning a way to stop them may cause us some bumps in the road but my guess is this is a work in progress.

I also realized that my computer is addictive. Trying to think of helpful answers is good for my brain and (I hope helps others). but I realize that I use the computer when I'm just too tired to do anything else. Then, it kidnaps me for blocks of time.

Rather than my thinking that I'll get some energy after solving a puzzle for a minute, it really zaps my strength. Being blocked help me look at my habits. Sigh.

And, again, I still realize what a fabulous wealth of information LymeNet provides for those who are looking for answers to save their lives.

Thanks to everyone who makes LymeNet work for us.
-

[ 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isnt there a way OF ALLOWING THOSE LOCALES TO POST AFTER BEING APPROVED SOMEHOW???

Seems pretty shallow to restrict to two countries. There HAS to be a better way.

There are some pretty good posters from Europe and Ozzyland,,,dang spam,,,hope the spammers get theirs someday.

IS THERE ANOTHER WAY?

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It WOULD be nice to allow approved posters to continue here!!!

--not sure it's possible though

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Loub said, there's no way to allow a few people in when the country is blocked. Spamming has been increasing so much they had to address it. There were more than 75 spammers needing banning in a period of two weeks, and the number was increasing daily.

I guess the only way around it would be for someone to be a go-between for them and make the posts in the US or Canada, but that would be rather tedious.

It's sad that the directors had to come to this decision, but I understand.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
As Loub said, there's no way to allow a few people in when the country is blocked. Spamming has been increasing so much they had to address it. There were more than 75 spammers needing banning in a period of two weeks, and the number was increasing daily.

I guess the only way around it would be for someone to be a go-between for them and make the posts in the US or Canada, but that would be rather tedious.

It's sad that the directors had to come to this decision, but I understand.

I have worked in web development. Banning a country wouldn't be my solution.

A solution could be temporarily (better) or permanately ban IP addresses that attempt to register multiple accounts. This would be automated. This strategy may not elminate spammers, but it may slow them down. Now, if this isn't isolated to one person and/or if many IP addresses are trying to register accounts, the solution becomes more difficult.

If this is limited to one person and one internet service provider, a solution could be to ban all the IP addresses their provider serves (again, you can make bans temporarily and only last a certain amount of time). While better than banning a country, this is still not a solution I would take.

And of course, if not already implemented, one account per email address can help prevent spammers.

If the spammers are completely automated, a captcha at registration would eliminate them for good. I'm not sure if this site uses a captcha.

Now there are more complicated solutions, but these are a couple off the top of my head.

And while I won't explain how, there are ways spammers can easily continue to spam even if their country is blocked. However, while it may be easy for spammers to continue their business, the average user doesn't have the technical know-how to find their way back. This is punishing the user, not the spammer.

And the software on this site is also outdated, and doesn't allow for much flexibility, but that's more of a complicated issue.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened to me yesterday and I thought "Now what have I done!!"

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeNet Users,

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, however it appears you did not read my prior post and do not clearly understand the magnitude of the problem. We have reviewed this in depth and made a decision based on careful analysis. We do have a high level of IT and Internet skills and we are developing solutions to resolve these on-going problems. Part of the analysis involved a risk vs benefit of continuing to provide support worldwide knowing we do have a small number of non-US/Canada users. We have decided to provide access only to US/Canada. Our analysis shows the bulk of the ForumSpammer activity originates outside the US/Canada. In order to get a feel for how significant this problem is please check out the following link which has captured 1.8+ million spammers:
http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work to make the LymeNet Flash a safer place for all of you to get help and support in your battle against Lyme and other TBD's.

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh no [Frown] ... our german "lymenet" is pretty bad.. i got all my information from this board here.. many people, many expierence with this disease.. :/
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Daniel, you've gotten through. Are you still in Germany?

Remember, that it is possible to read the board - but posting would just be blocked. Perhaps, those in Germany would want to volunteer to revamp the German "lymenet" of which you speak.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daniel,

There is another forum that is very good for Lyme. A lot of Lyme sufferers there are on alternative therapies as well as allopathics.

It is called lymestrategies. There is also mdjunction.com Thought i'd let you know in case you got bumped from here. Hope that doesn't happen.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by daniel:
oh no [Frown] ... our german "lymenet" is pretty bad.. i got all my information from this board here.. many people, many expierence with this disease.. :/

Hey, you can post!!! This is good news. [Smile]

Kadee, you, too, seem to be able to post. I believe they're finished working on the problem, so somehow you are getting through. [Smile]

--------------------

kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm devasteted. [Frown] [Frown]

quote:
Is there anybody who would be willing to do this for me as a go-between (in case I have an urgent question to the community here)?

I would very much appreciate it.

kadee

edit:
Six, I had deleted my post to add my question.
Do you really believe the problem is being solved?

2.edit:
I FOUND SOMEONE. Thank you! [woohoo]

[ 01-19-2011, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: kadee ]

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Kadee, how are you posting now? It looks like you're still on???

--------------------

kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it still is possible to post.
My impression was, that the banning will be further up the road?

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just got through on the AI thread as well; felt very sad at the news that I would no longer be able to post, especially as it took a thoughtful person to PM me to let me know.

Was the blocking supposed to be immediate, is it from a future date or has it somehow been resolved for some countries?

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

The system is already in place. I'm glad you guys are still able to post. All I know about it is what Lou said above .... but I know the system is already in place, this is not about something happening in the future.

--------------------

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, six; hopefully that means some of us can continue to post,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

YEA! I hope you guys are all going to STAY!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Phew, I am sooooo relieved! [Smile]

[woohoo] [woohoo]

[bow] Thanks to the technicians!

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you can work out a technical strategy to allow posters not from US or Canada to continue to post! Everyone benefits when everyone can use the board.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement