LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: What can you do today? March 28th to

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: What can you do today? March 28th to
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Spring is Coming!!

"Despite antibiotic treatments, patients will NOT return to normal unless they exercise, so therefore an aggressive rehab program is absolutely necessary.

It is a fact that a properly executed exercise program can actually go beyond the antibiotics in helping to clear the symptoms and to maintain a remission."

Dr. B (yes the Dr. B)

So what can you do this week to keep your body moving??

Hope we all have a good week.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walked into post office to check POB. Tried to clean up in kitchen but that was not workign even with indoor power chair.

I was able to rinse the beans and put them on to simmer.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! What a photo!!! And you remembered about putting up Dr B's quote!! If you feel lazy next week, you can just do a repeat! This is the best introduction yet!!

I'm off to take my shower so I can go exercise! Sounds backward doesn't it!!? [Big Grin]

Hope you have a good day, Kam!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made it to Tai Chi last night. So an hour of doing the form. Now I need to start practicing it daily. Getting back into that habit hasn't happened yet.

Love the photo, KAM! Wish I could do that.

Kudos on doing 16 minutes on your machine last week, Lymetoo. Good job!

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Glad you made it to Tai chi. As I was reading your post I thought...just do what you can when you can and hopefully it will turn into a habit. [Smile]

Able to drive down the road to the trail head with a gate.

Getting out of the car and opening and closing the gate was all I could do this am.

Rosie ran ahead of me as I drove. .5 round trip.

But, good to be out. Juniper trees in that area.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kgg:
Kudos on doing 16 minutes on your machine last week, Lymetoo. Good job!

-
I now have serious leg muscles! (esp the thighs!) [woohoo]

Tai Chi sounds so interesting! Good to see you again!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KAM!!!!! WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT PIC OF ME????

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to catch up on last week's posts.....

I've been busy getting ready for my temp job, cleaning house, laundry, etc.

Monday-Me and Rocky under a mile.

Today-Orientation, 1 load of laundry.

And can anyone tell me what in the world is Just Don doing with a job????

I thought he was still recovering from surgery and in pt.

Didn't he really mess up his leg? And now he's standing on concrete?

Anyways, missed you all and loved catching up and seeing what everyone's up too.

You all keep me going!

[kiss]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from a Lyme blog that KAM posted on FB. It is notes from the famous lyme doc's talk. Of note, in regards to our exercise thread, was his advise to NOT do aerobic exercise. And to NOT exercise every day. He prefers body sculpting with weights.

You an read his advise on exercise if you scroll down the page halfway.

http://sonyafightslyme.blogspot.com/2011/03/burrascano-notes-from-march-21st-talk.html#more

Thanks, KAM for posting the link!

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my monthly phone consult and was given permission to exercise. I've had severe post exertional malaise for over two years.

This is huge for me. I used to be an exercise junky.

Just some walking and light free weights for now. Have to always leave a little gas in the tank.

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Still water....glad you are able to do a little walking and some free weights. And that you live a little gas in the tank. [Smile]

Good for the spirit to be able to do these things.

Karen....thanks for posting that here. i was trying to think of someplace to post it so I could read it when able.

This is a good spot.

ALW...sounds like you are doing what you can when you can and yes you can. [Smile] This is good.

Kayak...LOL..thought that person looked familar. [Smile]

TuTu...if able...i like to take a shower before moving the body too. [Smile]

I think the shower after moving the body is for those who empty the gas tank.

At last...finally able to be on my feet and near nature.

DRove out to verde river. Est on my feet 15 min with a short rest on a rock.

Almost ran out of gas while trying to get back to the car...who put that hill there??

Also walked into store to pay $5 for the gas....I am so happy Friday is almost here and I will have money to fill up the gas tank and get groceries, etc.

It has been a long month.

Lost my mind and paid $70 to see a local ND this month that primary doc suggested I see...forgetting I don't have the funds to get what she suggests to get too.

Cut into gas and groceries for the month. Not good.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not even sure if i did any short walks yesterday...i know i didn't do what i planned for the day

just had one short walk and i am going to barn-hope i have a good ride

everything is a mess here-laundry, dishes, papers everywhere...and the puppy really wanting attention...shes 17-18 wks now. she gets her last shots tomorrow so i am prioritizing finding place for small dog to run free with others...she really needs playmates with more energy than me...not that you often see even young ppl playing chase with their dogs...

but first things first...i'm goin to ride my guy...

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

looking good kayak

i am sure you will get to those household messes when you can

able to water the potted plants (6)

exhausted now ..that did me in...i think it has been a month since they were watered

good thing i have succulents/cacti

As i was watering them I wondered about growing my own medical majuana (sp?)

First I need to find out if it will help

phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 loads of laundry, watered three plants, dressed,
made bed..Anxiety / depression been in full force, feel like I could have a screaming fit..

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

wow. i rode hard and walked etta an hour and i am exhausted but happy. i don't even care about the messes. i can't believe etta still wants to play.

i asked an llmd about pot once and he said the negs were higher than the pos

but i think it must be very individual...

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Welcome to our group, stillwater!! Woohooo!!

Did my 40 laps today, 14 min on the machine (almost 2 miles) a few weights and a few minutes on the bicycle! Did that while waiting for the other machine.

Very cold today.. what happened to spring?? Our high was 39!! [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started my excersise routine this morning. Just a little one to start with. I did 1 set of bicep curls, tricep extentions and shoulder presses all with tiny little 3 pound dumbbells.

Before I got sick I did these exercises with 20 pound dumbbells.

Oh, and I also did one set of upper and lower abs.

Not going to do it again until Monday. I have post exertional malaise and I need to wait to see how this will affect me.

But I got permission to excersise yesterday from my LLMD.... Big day for me.

[ 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: stillwater ]

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Lymetoo..it encourages me to see what you are doing...well actually it encourages me to see what all of you are doing.

Especially like the posts from when fatherguido goes parachutting. [Smile]

That has got to be pure fun!

Took a noise drive last night. Just took a couple of excedrin this am. So far movement has not worked out. Waiting for excedrin to kick in then hoping to do a bit around the house: clean up in kitchen, put trash out, take a shower...we shall see...

might just be one of the mornings where all I am able to do is tke Rosie out to toilet in the power chair

kgg
Member # 5867

phyl6648, I have been feeling the same way lately. And I hate it! It makes me hard to be around and I don't like myself when I am like that. For me, I found SAMe helpful. It helps my sadness. But I can't take too much or it causes insomnia. A balancing act.

Stillwater, I get post exertional malaise too. I have yet to try weights, although I have had some for years. You sound like you are starting the right way. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Have a good day everyone!
Karen

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone 'know' if forcing the body till total exhaustion,,,leads to a stronger body part?? Or total failure sooner or later???

Pounding the concrete goes about like this, first two hours not bad, glad for the excercise and ability to do it.

Next hour getting real tight and hurting a bunch.

Fourth and final hour, excruciating at best. Looking for someplace to fall in a pile, but that option not available.

Usually goes a half hour over in that hour to boot. So hour turns to hour and a half. Doesnt seem like much does it.

Unless one is struggling to just hold on. Takes a couple hours of r&r and ready to go back at it.

Ten-hose(sp) helps the swelling issues. But that issue compounded by not being able to put it on myself.

They make those assist put them on device,,,just not going to spend those big bucks for a temp used item.

Anybody have any good suggestions for getting ten hose on ???they are so tight cant get my 13+s in there

Today is physical therapy day,,,thats 45 minutes of fun and games. Enough to make it darn sore for rest of day.

Thinking again I should have done my first inclination,,,use my cordless saw and remove the damaged portions of my leg.

Like they all say, life is hell,,,then you die!!!

Anybody have a spare winning lottery ticket?????

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Don,

Calling my pilot now. We will be on our way to come pick you up soon. NOt sure what we will be doing with you once we get you.

But.....

Moods are so weird with this.

Grateful I was able to drive out to the dirt road in the forest and just be there while Rosie did her business.

I drove. She trotted in front of the car.

Enjoyed the light on the trees.

Able to take a shower this am too. [Smile]

Sorted laundry. Resting now then hoping I have what it takes to get a load in the washer.

Also able to put dried beans on to cook. Needed to talk myself through both the sorting thing and the rinsing the beans and getting them on the stove to cook.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know what to do with me either. Join the crowd!!!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just managed to clean my tub, with my arms and legs shaking. But you need a clean tub when you have to take epsom salt baths! [Big Grin]

Started physical therapy yesterday to regain some strength and work on my balance and gait.
Second session tonight. Baby steps physically but I think it is helping me a lot mentally too.

Watch out - I will be pumping 20lb shoulder presses before you know it, haha jk.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday/today under a mile each day for me and the Rocks.

Vacuumed, 1 load laundry, sewing, ironing and tar removal from bottom of my car today.

Tomorrow haircut to get spruced up for upcoming temp job.

Welcome to the newcomers!

Hi to the regulars!

Wish I could work out some more but am still going to massage therapy once a month for shoulder/neck problems.

A little note to JD......

Here's a tip for the support socks. Don't know any other way to say this but kinda roll them down like a condom before putting them on the foot, then roll it up like a condom.

Also, can you wear like Dr. Scholl's gel inserts or something in your shoes for standing on that concrete?

You all keep me going and will check back in soon.

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by penguingirl:
I just managed to clean my tub, with my arms and legs shaking. But you need a clean tub when you have to take epsom salt baths! [Big Grin]

-
Always a tough job! Dr Oz says you can disinfect your tub by putting vinegar in it and letting it soak overnight.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tutu - I will have to try that next time!
Does it matter what kind of vinegar? (Braggs apple cider? I have some of that now..)

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I tired to vacuum today.. Don't see how you all do the things you do. I will rest then going to try to mop the kitchen.. That will be it . I do want to go with the children tomorrow as my x-husbands estate will be auctioned off, absolute.
I so hate it for my children.. Will see if I am able.
Don, like you I don't know what to do with me. So much I want to do but my body or mind won't let me. I think I will go ahead and have my running fit and see if I live or die...

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

my mind says go!!!!

my body says whoa!!!!!

--------------------
just don

lpkayak
Member # 5230

vacumng and cleanngthe shower rally do me in.

i rode and it went well.

two short walks and have some stuff cooking now..will freeze it and it should get me thr a few days.

i hope i gt to put my pansies out tomorrow. really tired now tho.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Pansies.. I have fond childhood memories of them. My mom loved flowers bigtime and we had a LONG (probably 20 ft) pansy bed between the sidewalk and the street. People knew which house to drop me off at because of the pretty pansies! Mom would also cut 8 or 10 blooms and float them in a low bowl on our coffee table.

I did 16 minutes on the magic machine.. (woohoo!) which is more than 2 miles, 40 laps, weights and stretches. We do warm up stretches at the beginning and extra cool down stretches at the end. I never think to mention that!!

I also got a perm this afternoon. Do you like my pretty curls?? [Big Grin]

Hey don... what kind of job did you get that you're standing on concrete??

penguin.. probably doesn't matter which kind of vinegar.. and I'm not sure how MUCH vinegar. Maybe 2 cups??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

just don
Member # 1129

scrubing floors Saturday and Sunday and stocking shelves Monday and Tuesday.

Spend entire time walking back and forth carrying cases of stuff. Oil, bug spray, and any liquid cases are pretty heavy.

Plus they stack stuff 10-12 feet high so up and down a ladder alot!!!!

Wish I could still do mortgage loans for home buyers. That is the best job I ever had. Probably too out of touch from 20 years ago.

That job requires more thinking and setting down instead of walking. Dont know how to get back in that tho.

--------------------
just don

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't see how you do that with your leg injuries. UGH.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

Wow...lots to catch up on.

Sounds like home depot or ? Don

Walked into WM and found my favorite electric scooter wtg for me.

Able to put a bit of the groceries on the belt and able to put my own groceries in the car this time

Only able to put refrig stuff away...others will ahve to get to later...not much

Looking forward to when I can go for a walk in the forest.

Noticed I was able to do more with the brain than in the past while at the store...but can't recall what it was now. HA!

kgg
Member # 5867

I use cheap white vinegar by the gallon. You can pick it up at the grocery store, or at least I can. Most people buy the gallon size for canning pickles, I buy it for cleaning.

I was an absolute couch potato in my recliner yesterday. I could not move. We had a snow storm going on that dropped about 10 inches. I guess the barometric pressure was a problem yesterday. Some times it affects me other times not. Go figure.

Today, lots of chores catching up from my quality time with the recliner.

Have a good day everyone!
Karen

lpkayak
Member # 5230

don...i am worried about you. not my job i know. but i can just feel the pain. i guess we just have to do what we hve to do...until we can't.

i don't know if anyone remembers pigwit. we became friends and i remember him needing to work in a pipe yard and then at amazon walking hours on concrete. he had to do it to get $ for a real llmd. he did it. he paid for it physically. but he got good tx and is doing well today. this disease is just not fair.

i feel like such a wimp saying this but i am exhausted from putting 6 pansys in the groud. i did stop 3 times to take etta for short walks. and vsited with some neighbors. but still-6 pansys??? into soft dirt???

i m allowed to ride every day but i am seeing i do bettr if i exercise hard only every other day like dr b says. so i am going to try to stick with that.

tying to decide if i should rest sitting in the sun or watching a movie...

soooooo mch housework and paperwork to do but i just can't -mentally or physically

sooooo greatful am not up north dealng with that snow...

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

kgg.. hope that snow leaves SOON!! I also buy vinegar just for cleaning. Rarely use it for anything else.

Home Depot .. that's what I imagined too!

kam.. wow on putting your own groceries in the car! Sounds like the abx are already helping!

kayak.. is pigwit still doing well, then? Hope you get some rest today. I do the every other day exercise routine also. I may start taking a walk at least once a week this spring. I've been doing all my walking on in inside track, but I need some sunshine and fresh air! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

yep-pigwits living a great life now far away where it is never too cold and never too hot

he keeps telling me he is going to come back and post someday but i think he is too busy playing

i have heard he did zip lining over the jungle, spends time in the mts and seacoast, has many international friends and is just healthy

i don't think he has done lyme tx for awhile

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

We made it through another weeek. This is good.

Looking forward to reading what you all are doing when able.

Have a good Sunday.

kam
Member # 3410

Made it as far as the dog park this am. Walked in and out and able to pick up Rosie's poop...kind of...came close to an endo during it.

Jeans I had on made it more difficult to move. Able to come home and change them. But, that did me in for movement this am.

Resting now...then we shall see

kam
Member # 3410

Able to clean up in the kitchen a bit and make a protein drink while in power chair...so uppper arm work out

Kept telling myself to take it slow and easy...don't toss your cookies.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak.. that's great about pigwit .. I'm so jealous!!

Kam.. keep up the good work!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I typically feel like keeping active and often feel like running. In the past, I could not run. The problems were with coordination and pain. Now that is not a problem, but I need surgery for hernias on both sides, so that is temporarily keeping me from running. I started working out with weights in a gym probably a little soon after my tummy tuck. It is not an emergency, but expect to have surgery in a month or two.

I don't focus on any Lyme treatment now, but focus on therapies, treatment, activities, that can help repair damage from Lyme and work and the very high level of mecury I had. I also focus on anti-aging. This includes hyperbaric oxygen and embyronic stem cell therapy. The stem cells come from the unbilical cord of healthy new borns (not fetus). I also lost about 60 pounds in about a year being in a healthy environment (near the ecuator) and eating healthy food. It has been an adventure and I love it.

Pigwit

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement