LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » What pillow helps for your neck pain? Is Tempur Pedic worth it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What pillow helps for your neck pain? Is Tempur Pedic worth it?
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot seem to find a good pillow for my neck which is always stiff.

I try putting two soft goose down ones so they are fluffy but not too high up.

But it seems it just gets so flat after awhile.

Should I invest in a Tempur Pedic pillow? The one that looks like a normal pillow, not the kind that has a weird slope to it. They are pricey (I think $99) but if I can just worry about ONE pillow that will last maybe it is worth it.. I keep getting disappointed with my pillows!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went through the same thing.. I have such trouble finding a pillow that does not make my neck feel even worse! I couldn't really swing a Tempur Pedic pillow, so I bought another type of memory foam pillow from Walmart. It was only $25. I think the brand was Carpenter Co.
I certainly like it more than my old pillows, but it's nothing to jump up and down over either.

Let me know how you like the Tempur Pedic if you end up buying it!

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a memory foam pillow and it made my neck hurt worse.

I ended up buying a memory foam mattress topper and found that it really helped.

We have a queen sized bed and I bought a king sized topper and cut off the excess on the side and put it under the top of the mattress so it would elevate our heads.

I use a regular pillow for watching tv but then don't need a pillow to sleep bc my head is already elevated without straining my neck.

The mattress topper really also helped me with body aches.

I found ours at overstock.com and it was the cheapest place I found to get it. If you do decide to get one, watch for when they have cheap or free shipping on any order bc it's a heavy item to ship.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to know I am not the only one frustrated with pillows!

I did see a Memory foam type at IKEA for only $10 but I was skeptical. I ended up buying a goose down type but then when I came home and washed them, it still stunk like rubber and rice.. weird smell and I could not deal!

I'd have to sniff out the Tempur ones at a store to see if they stink. If not, maybe I will ask my parents for a pillow for my birthday, ha.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a cervical pillow years ago when my neck first started hurting me. Probably paid about $50 at a local medical supply store.

Sort of forgot I'm still sleeping on it. My neck pain went away a long time ago.

Not about to change anything though...

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to keep in mind is that most memory foam items STINK!! So if you are sensitive to odors, it might not be good for you.

I have an old pillow that was stitched off about 4 inches along the bottom of the pillow. The stitching came out later, but now I just make an indentation where the stitching was. (It separates from the rest of the pillow.)

So it's halfway comfortable. I keep pillow shopping but have never seen anything I thought would be better than what I have.

I just need a new NECK!! I've had two major whiplashes in my lifetime and the last one really did the damage.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, they sure do stink. Read reviews on them as they are now trying to make them with less odor. I've even seen ones that are green tea scented.

When I got our memory foam mattress topper, I had to unroll it (they come shrinkwrapped so it really holds in the smell!!) and let it sit and air out for several days before I put it on our bed.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Oh no - stinky pillows will not do. I am sensitive to odors - not everything but a lot of things.

I don't know if I want/need memory foam but I think I need something where I don't move around so much in my sleep and have better support.

--------------------
 -

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Can you wash memory foam pillows in the machine? Maybe that can help get the odor out?

Although I did that with a brand new pillow I got a few weeks ago (turned out it was too stiff for me anyway) but even washing it, it was still stinky.

I wonder if there is a MCS site for buying pillows. I will do some hunting.

--------------------
 -

MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am quite partial to the goose down pillows. they are not real cheap either but even when my pillow is squishy and flat, it is my security pillow.
I can wrap it, fold it, twist it and form to my neck. Then I use the kings size pillow to put my head and shoulder on, It's not a down but it has some wear on it.

Pillows are most definetly a difficult find that is comfy. I have gone through many a pillow and end up pulling my old one back out.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The memory foam only stinks for a few days. Then it passes once it off gasses. I just got a brand new Tempurpedic bed (they warrantee'ed ours because my spot became a sinkhole after three years of laying in it) and the smell was not that bad, and was gone in about 3 days.

I have a tempurpedic pillow and it's good. The bed really does help, though. We sleep well and have less body pain.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear The Perfect Pillow Search...
my sympathies...hard.

I have been 4 years with one that seems to do better than anything

has a memory foam core and goose down casing and is gusseted.

so the down casing is removable and washable and the pillow provides
support and squishability
it's called "Sleep Innovations"

http://www.sleepinnovations.com/Pillows.html#cluster

I bought it in a mattress store. $90

Yikes level expensive but I was sore, sleep deprived and desparate for a pillow that would support me right.

have been episodes over the 4 years that it wasn't exactly right --neck weirdness factors-so I switched off with my old pillow briefly-
but most of the time it really does the job..

never smelled

Also have the memory foam topper...helps too.
Had it for so long I don't remember if it smelled when new.

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a wool pillow that I really like. It is the right balance between soft, firm, and supportive. Mine is pretty old so i do not remember where I got it. I'm sure you could find one online.

You might also consider purchasing a pillow protector or allergy cover. It goes over the pillow and under your usual pillow case. It prevents dust mites and mold from growing in your pillow.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find a place to get the new neck Lymetoo, sign me up. I need one badly as well. lol.

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:

I just need a new NECK!! I've had two major whiplashes in my lifetime and the last one really did the damage.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no headache since I sleep on a small neck
roll and a tiny cushion for the head, both together in a case.

The neck roll is under your neck and the tiny cushion gives some support for the head. Leave some space between both
Works really great.

If you get the neckroll you can save the money for the neck.
The neckroll is sold at physical therapy centers, maybe $ 12. The cushion has to be really small and thin.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
years ago i bought cerv pillos from chiro at his office

he "fitted" me

they lasted a long tme an were in 20-40 range

i have been having major new neck pain sice i moved...my 3 old cerv pilos do't work anmore but they ARE old

i bought a 50 one at pennys and it is awful

it might be worth calling or goin to chiro or massage offices to get one

i've decided i needto do that now

i had this pain many yrs ago and the pillos solved the problem...butthey do wear out and they need to fit rightto work

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know if you find one. In the meantime "seek" and I will be on the hunt for new necks! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Haha - I will let you know. I have to test them out in the stores I guess, and I am always grossed out by lying on those beds. I just think they must be so filthy.

Karen and Lp - good idea - I will check with my physical therapist if they have any on hand I can test out - there is also a chiro there too.

I have dust allergies so I need to make sure I can get one that I can easily wash in the machine to keep it clean. I wash the pillow covers and casings every week but not the pillows..

Tutu - I hope you can find your new neck soon! [Big Grin]

--------------------
 -

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Tracy - do you have this kind?

http://www.brookstone.com/tempurpedic-pillows_tempur-pedic-suprima-pillow.html?bkiid=categoryLandingPage_Bedroom_Pillows|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|8415489

Or another kind on this page?

http://www.brookstone.com/bed-pillows.html?ref=pg%7E-1

I am really more of a side and back sleeper. I can't lie still - I keep rotating so I need something that is flexible to positions.. I don't like the "better than down" products because I have the comfortor version of it, and it's all lumpy and just so annoying. I will just stick to the real down feather next time..

--------------------
 -

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep Number used to sell AMAZING down pillows called 'Euroloft' pillows. It's the perfect accessory to a Sleep Number bed.

They made a gussetted one for back sleepers and without it for side sleepers. They were about $200 each and IMHO - WORTH EVERY STINKIN PENNY!!! I love, love love my pillows!!!!

But they've discontinued them, so I will be at a total loss when these just won't fluff any more.

They do have this kind though, which looks comparable
http://www.selectcomfort.com/eng/products/pillows-bedding/pillows/european_white_goose_down_pillow?eurodownplw

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Wow that is a lot for one pillow!

Shouldn't we be changing out pillows every 5 years anyway though.. makes spending so much on a pillow that much harder but my neck needs it!

--------------------
 -

Lymetoo
Member # 743

My pillow is old.. but I have one of those allergy covers on it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement