LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Yeast Free Athletes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Free Athletes
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious how you fuel up before a 5k or any vigorous activity? the old me would have gone with the basics...pasta the night before.

Any help is appreciated as i have 2 5Ks later in May.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you had to carb-up .. so any of them could make yeast worse....???

good luck .. [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also very very interested in this... Hope to get some answers
Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you do have to be carb free...but there has to be someway to do it without derailing my progress.

--------------------

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been dealing with this dilema since I have been able to get back to running and hiking again.

Now that I am able to put in close to 30 miles of running and 15 of hiking I am searching for ways to get my necessary carbs to fuel my body.

A couple of weeks ago I went back on my gels, gluten free pasta/bagles and an evening snack here and there (starving!!!) and my yeastie beasties got out of control. On week two of damage control and feeling better.

I don't have alot of suggestion as I am still trying to figure out what is going to work for me as an athlete. I am starting to get some muscle weakness from lack of carbs and the miles I am putting in.

I know I need carbs to run and eventually compete again - so right now I focus on just one meal having carbs - like dinner or lunch. Brown rice, carb enriched veggies, gluten free grains, rice cakes. I am trying to find a bar that has all good stuff and no sugar.

I am also more concerned with the amount of sugar in the carb. Trying to hit the zero sugar when I do eat carbs.

Hammer Heed is a great electroylete drink that of course does have carbs. 25g. per scoop but only 2 grams of sugar so I opt towards that.

What I do instead of gels on my training runs is I bring along a Ginger Drop (hard candy from my health food store-all natural. It has 4 grams of carbs and 1 gram of sugar. I know that is nothing in terms of energy when comparing to a gel BUT it gives me a psychological boost mid run without any harmful effects really - I can live with 1 gram of sugar and it tastes really good. More psychological then anything but I will take what I can get...

Wish I had more to add but that is about it. Now I wonder if my 2 eggs this morning will carry me through my 6 mile training run? Gosh I wish I could have a gel,some Cytomax and then a big plate of gluten free pasta tonight!!!

This would be a great article idea for Runners World..hum....

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triathlete here.... Short and long stuff.

Feeling better and back to some training finally!Yes, this is quite a problem for me as well.

Desert gave some good suggestions and I second the HEED by Hammer Nutrition - plus it is gluten free - almost no sugar at all in it!

I am looking at making my own energy bars.

I too only eat carbs at one meal a day and still stay way below what we as athletes should and I feel it in my training.

I think you have to find the right amount of carbs that will allow you to train but not feed the yeast too much.

If I have extra carbs then I up my candidas supp.s for a few days.

I like Quinoa as one of my gluten free carb meals - I mix some veggies and grilled chicken in it - light on the Quinoa and heavy on the veggies and chicken.

I feel like my body can train okay on low carbs but when I try to go up tempo then I can feel the lack of carbs. I could never race like this...

Yeah, would be a great article for Runners World - who wants to write it??? Happy and Healthy Training!

Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I had a big flare up for the first time last weekend cause I had alcohol and just now starting not to feel it... Ran 3 miles today though and was way under energized espicially after being on my feet all day at work.

I haven't hear of a lot of the stuff you guys are talking about can you post links?

I usually also have one meal with carbs (grain) a day... Sorry but I think carb free as in no carbs is not good for a person. I know when I do this my creatine levels go way up.

I eat tons of veggies... Umm gluten free oats and two eggs in the morning... Usually a salad with quinoa and a protein at lunch then a protein and gluten/sugar free carb at dinner.

I find the hardest thing is finding the right snack an hour and a half before your run... I usually just have a granny smith apple and some nuts but that really doesn't help since I use that energy up before I leave work

Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

some good info and Ahodge hit it on the head for me...i need that one snack that ups my energy and gives me confindence on race day.feel like i have to hold bakc becasue i will run out of gas so to speak..keep in mind i'm, 48 so not putting in killer times just satying active ...although i would like to break 25 this year.....i feel the lack of carbs when i try to hit the gas pedal.

so maybe for next week i will go with some brown rice and try the Hammer thing you guys mentioned. thanks for the input

Dave

--------------------

desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you guys remember Phil Maffeton? He is a doctor of exercise physiology I believe. www.philmaffeton.com

I believe the website for HAMMER is www.hammernutrition.com. If not google will take you there.They also have bars that are gluten free and if you dare venture towards the gels they are gluten free as well (based on info. from the company rep.).

I get my Ginger Drops from www.hillsidecandy.com. Organic and gluten free. 4 pieces has something like 15 grams of carbs and 6 grams of sugars - I bring a couple on my runs...

Anyway, I think Maffeton is doing other things now but back in the 90's he advocated a low low carb diet for endurance athletes as PART of periodization training. The idea of course was to teach the body how to burn fuel more efficently on minimal carbs. After a certain amount of time you added carb.s back in. He has a book and did have a line of bars etc..Check out his website.

I know a couple of athletes that were sponsered by his company and they pretty much crashed but my point is maybe there are some ideas/ food choices in his book that might be helpful?

I really agree that no carb is dangerous. I use to use Chris Carmichaels recommendations on % of carbs needed pre lyme. So now I try to find a % of the normal amount of carbs my body needs and what I can toleratre in terms of yeast. It is trial and error..Is it 50 grams or 150 grams per day? I know I need way more then that but I am still trying to find the safest max. I can.

Davenj; I hear you! During my trail run yesterday I ended up walking up parts of the steep hills - not cuz I felt lyme exhustion but because I needed fuel in the form of carbs - just frustrating..I needed that extra boost that comes from a runners diet. Just gotta keep working on that yeast..

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Desert,

thanks very much...some really good leads...despite treating for 2.5 years this is the first time my doctor has demanded a 30 -60 day "clean" period so to speak....and finnlay i have broken the cravings and i'm day 12 of having 0 sugar...i really don't want to cave for the run...and i find it is not the first 2 miles is that last mile where the tank goes empty.

anyway thanks everyone...i'll let you know how i do.

Dave

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement