LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Those with kids...what do you do when you can't do anything more but you HAVE to?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those with kids...what do you do when you can't do anything more but you HAVE to?
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So spent, nauseaus, in pain. Been a busy weekend and I have been pushing myself through it. I am done. But I have 3 kids: 11,8,5 who will need me for many more hours.

What do you do when you have nothing left but you still have to. Feel so dizzy. I want to cry.

Gotta go get my son at a playdate now. That even seems like too much.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally understand where you are coming from. I have two boys, 7 and 5. They run me ragged from morning to night. It is all I can do on a daily basis to get the dishes done, sweep and laundry let alone the millions of things I need to do for them. I just take a deep breath and do my best. When it is all too much and I cannot do anything else I just tell them quiet time, daddy needs a few moments. Is all I can do really. I know this is not much help but I do understand...
Posts: 98 | From Maytown PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what it`s like 2 kids 8 & 5 , drive me insane , I work 40 hrs a week , pick them up from school , then it`s homework , make dinner , get them to basketball and soccer , then home for showers ( daily regime ). thats just Mon-Fri. , I find myself just pushing through everyday by the grace og God ! Hang in there I will be praying for you , stay strong !
Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 22 years of this I have learned a few tricks for kids. Now that my grandchildren live here with us, my tricks are once again being useful.

I keep special boxes of toys and games set aside. I used to put a large number on each box and I stored them up high. When it was rainy or Mom was sick, I would say "when you have finished your chores/homework, etc. you can pick one number box to play with". There would be much discussion about which number to choose because they never knew what they would find there. (A magic elf switched around toys and games while they slept). This provided hours of fun.

My mom used to call the hour or so before dinner "the witching hour". That is when kids act up while mom tries to fix dinner. Try to think of a special activity to save for that time. I used to keep craft supplies in the kitchen so the kids could work at the table while I cooked.

These days my grandkids watch old movies with me and we play cards, dominoes, crosswords, etc. But it is tough when you feel so lousy. All of you parents have my heartfelt sympathy! Keep talking to us and maybe we can help in some way.

Be sure to carpool and trade off the kids with your friends, church groups, etc. Find ANY good help that you can. Neighborhood teenagers can do very well in this role, playing with kids while you rest. Get the kids outdoors as much as possible.

I think one big problem we all have is our lack of socializing. We are too beat and confused. That is why we miss out on the advantages of networking. Ask a pastor, a friend or a neighbor to do it for you. Even the high school counselors or secretaries may know kids who can help you.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This weekend I WAS the carpool. Previously I loved helping with other's kids. I also work with young children and have my own.

I really want to help friends out but it all proved too much this weekend. Plus allergies are kicking in.

I hide from the friends whose kids I helped with the fact that it is so taxing on me. (How can one explain the paradox of wanting to help even if it kills you?) I do have good friends but have shared little with them. It is hard to explain without a diagnosis.

Also, I find a lot of internal guilt between the mind and body. My mind still wants to do everything, but my body just says "UH.....nope". It is so frustrating. The mind is "who" I am.....who does my body think it is being a total control freak. I just hope I get my body back to the point where I can keep up with my hopes and dreams.

I hope that for all of you too!

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my daughter 32 and grandsons living with us 7 & 10.

For me it is board games. I can play board games. They enjoy and can beat me. I started when they were much younger and every year at Christmas Nana adds to the board game collection.

It's family time around the table. I'm so glad they are past Candyland. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6479 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 9 yr old son, and a 5 yr old daughter. Yup... totally understand... as I am a single mom.

Lately the house is a complete mess, and it is hard just to make sure that they have clean clothes and meals on the table... let alone all the extras...

They know I'm not able to do much... and that its because of the lyme disease. That I am working on getting better. That mommy is trying, that I don't mean to forget things, that I would do more if I could.

But, they also know that there friends are always welcome at our house. I'm not able to get outside much... but they play with their friends here quite a bit, and their friends know that I keep the cubords stocked with snacks for them.

We all want to do more....

I'm thankful that I have a neighbor that will help bring up some of the heavy groceries for me up the stairs....

And, I sometimes have the teenagers that use to babysit for me when I went out (doesn't happen much anymore) come over and help me clean, and give the kids some extra one on one play time.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can totally relate to this. I remember taking my then 5 year old to the toy store to pick out a toy because I had been sleeping all day and he had to entertain himself. He selected a magic show set.

Sure enough we get home and the direction book is 2 inches thick and the print was miniscule!!!!

This is really hard. Remind yourself that there are lessons in your illness for everyone and that they are meant to learn from it as well.

Do what you can but don't push yourself too much or you will take longer to recover. Try to give into it so your body can heal.

Take a lot of deep breaths!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know how i did it but i did. they all survived and are doing well. our relationship isn't that great...its hard to grow up with a sick parent. but they are successful in the eyes of others

i really learned to prioritize. many chore charts-everyone had to help. hired sitters etc. husband helped a lot but marriage ended eventually. house was dirty but i really tried to get to their peformances. couldn't shop for prom dress etc...but appreciated the new step-mom helping out.

not the way i planned my life but we did survive.

i remember lying down and falling asleep on the living room rug -too tired to walk down the hall to the bedroom...

good luck. hang in. they can be amazingly resilent. make sure they know you love them.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Thanks for sharing everyone. Kids are great. I don't know that I have actually discussed this with them other than when I don't feel good. Otherwise I hide it, though I guess I am lucky I am not at the point that I can't hide it from them.

I don't have a diagnosis so I don't have a plan or a way to explain it to them. As a treat today...all three have playdates. Two are here and my middle daughter is at a friends. Gives me a little time before soccer tonight in the cold rain. Ugh.

Still no answers today as I had hoped but at least I have stopped crying in frustration (for now).

And....the last two nights I was too dizzy and nauseous to do anything. Today it's just the usual fatigue and headache and pain.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my sons were young, I was having problems with fibromyalgia, migraines, chronic fatigue.

I made supper every night, although many times it wasn't too fancy.
I did baths, trimmed nails and hair.
Did laundry and dishes.

I could not manage after school activities, I was just too exhausted.
As far as I was concerned, kids that young didn't need it.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Remind yourself that there are lessons in your illness for everyone and that they are meant to learn from it as well. "

IT HAS BEEN HELPFUL FOR ME TO REMEMBER THIS OVER THE YEARS

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielleMC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielleMC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly how you feel. I am a single mom of two boys (very outgoing boys at that), ages 6 and 4. I work a full time job, handle all afterschool sports activities, cook meals, laundry, clean and everything else that comes with it. Their father doesn't provide them with healthy meals or a clean home, so I feel obligated to cook a full course meal and keep a spotless home because I know they don't get it with him the two nights a week they spend there.

It is very tiring, and frustrating. I feel like just crying most of the time because I am soo tired, in so much pain and just mentally exhausted. I pray that these meds provide some relief soon.

I know my words probably don't help but it's nice to know that others struggle along with me. Although, I wish none of us had too. Praying for you all

--------------------
7/09- WB IGG Neg all bands -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
Treated w/ 21 days of Doxy.
10/09- WB IGG Pos bands 41 & 58 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
04/11- WB IGG Pos band 66 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41 Pos EBV.

Posts: 121 | From Western PA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement