LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Do most people work or take off during treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do most people work or take off during treatment?
DanielleMC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielleMC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering how many people actually are able to work completely throughout their treatment. I've had Lyme for an unknown number of years and finally started treatment almost a month ago. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate, hard to stay awake. My back and neck hurt so terribly bad from sitting in an office chair all day. My eyes are bulging out of my skull by the end of the day and I feel like I'm beginning to lose my eyesight, not to mention the headaches.

Could be a herx I guess?? Don't know. But i'm starting to wonder if I am able to continue doing this. Just want to cry at my desk most of the time.

I wonder if FMLA covers lyme treatment...
Thanks

--------------------
7/09- WB IGG Neg all bands -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
Treated w/ 21 days of Doxy.
10/09- WB IGG Pos bands 41 & 58 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
04/11- WB IGG Pos band 66 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41 Pos EBV.

Posts: 121 | From Western PA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could have taken a leave from work when i started treatment but I did not have the luxury. Bills still need paid.
Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was already disabled when I found out I had Lyme. I don't see how anyone can work feeling like &%$#. It's rough, to say the least.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See if you are covered for disability insurance through work or apply for ssdi. Takes a long time to get and you have to appeal. Just a thought in case you can't take working any longer.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick I took 2 weeks off , but had to go back to work . I couldn`t afford to stay home . By the grace of God I was/am battling through it 1 day at a time [Smile]
Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked for 2 1/2 yrs so ill. I only allowed myself a month off early on and went back to work even more ill.

I was up for 2 promotions. You don't get promoted when you are on a sick leave.

If I'd only done what was right for me from the start? I'd never been ill where I'd missed more than month of work even with surgeries.

Years ago, 6 weeks to have a baby and I was back working my tail off. Type A people are pretty stubborn when it comes to taking care of their health.

I remember the saying "if you don't have your good health, you don't have anything". It's true because your health is very important to all of your life and loved ones, not just some employer.

Only you can decide if you are being harmful to yourself and your future health and well being.

I hope that makes sense. Tough question.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bosses have been very understanding and HR just sent me the paperwork for FMLA and My LLMD is filling it out.
With FMLA I don't have to worry about being fired.
If I have to use all my sick leave and annual leave, then I will be on unpaid leave. I hope it doesn't come to that.
I'm able to take days off when I'm feeling really bad and go into work when I can.

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my corp America co gave me a year. They would of extended it if my PCP would write them a letter that stated another 3-6 mths and I would be well enough to return.

At that point in my life, if I did anything like life ex: go to 2 hr b-ball game it took every bit of energy I had to go and then I'd be days recovering from doing it.

8-10 work day over and over again would of put me in a early grave. My PCP refused to write that letter.

He told me I will write a letter that states in one year.....you maybe will be ready to return. It was a reality check for me.

I had already promised my soul and being that I would not work until my being was well again.

The company sent me a termination letter 4 days before Christmas 02. Great company huh?????

That letter of termination completely broke me down. I was emotionally, physically and spiritually destroyed. 28 yrs out.

Here it is 10 yrs later. I might be able to work today and tomorrow? Might? But to continue a work schedule would defeat everything I've gained healthwise in those years.

Someday, I hope to be able to have something that is good for me in working. I know one thing it won't be Corp Amer job. These people are ruthless in thinking "what have you done for me lately".

Take care of you.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still work but there are days where I barely make it through. I filed and was approved for FMLA, so lyme is covered. I know one of our docs used FMLA when he had lyme as well.

I haven't had to use it yet, but I only work 4 days/week...all 12 hour shifts and i have left early on a few occassions.

I actually have seen some improvements in my concentration and difficulty focusing. Those were my main issues that distracted me from my job. I think the supplements have helped in that area.

I think I've lucked out a bit though too as it seems the days I feel my worst are days I actually have off. I don't know that I could get up and go in if I worked every day. The most days I work in a row is two.

Maybe you can try to get up and do some stretches throughout the day? I know for me, sitting too long makes the pain worse. Maybe try getting a cushion for lumbar support and to relieve some pressure on your back.

If you can't work...you can't work. Some people are that sick. Just take things one day at a time.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
been treating for 2.5 years and worked every FN day...pardon the french....its just the hardest damn thing even at this point.

6 days until vacation.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very difficult. I am having more trouble too since beginning treatment. I am very lucky in that I have the ability to adjust my schedule a bit. But that has meant that I don't get any days off anymore so that everything can get done.

I am praying that I won't get to a point where I can't work anymore because I fear I would spend all my alone time in a pity party and then I may as well be dead.

What's really suffering the most is the state of my house. [Smile]

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

The last year I worked in a cubicle. Multitask job. I had been trained, groomed for this job for years. The person that was retiring had actually gone through a battle with cancer.

So I did her job for 18 mths while she was off fighting the big C, 8 yrs prior. I knew the job when she retired.

But the last 3 mths I worked I forgot how to do things I'd known how to do for years. I can't tell you how many times I picked up the how to manual to read how to do something I'd done over and over again.

I would try to run myself off a to do list daily. I couldn't remember if I really did something 15 minutes earlier. I would recheck my work all day long.

I was pulling 9-10 or more hours a day and then coming home and working more from home. I was working 6-7 days a week to try to catch up.

The harder I worked the more lost I became in my cubicle. I'll never forget the last day in my office. I was all alone in the dept. should be catching up and I couldn't do anything but cry.

I felt so defeated. I had worked hard for 28 yrs, 15 of those years was to get this position and have this job until I retired. I had to admit to myself that the chance was up.

My boss tried to get me to do a time study to help me. I couldn't remember to do the time study, hell I couldn't remember jack?

I was one crushed soul. It was Christmas Eve. Christmas Day I couldn't even function with my family. Day after Christmas my alarm went off and the strangest thing happened.

It felt like someone was sitting on my chest. God would not allow me to continue. I was done.
Enough is enough.

My doctor had told me for months, you must stop and take care of you. He actually warned me that I was killing myself at the age of 42. He told me he was waiting for me to crash.

I did. I'm blessed that we had some money tucked away for retirement. I wasn't going to see retirement if I didn't give in.

Pam

--------------------

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been fortunate in that I've been able to work through treatment.

When I was "crashing" and before I was diagnosed, I was almost ready to stop working and go on medical leave.

But...I fortunately found my LLMD and started treatment, and I bounced back to a work-able level rather quickly (and have plateaued significantly since then.)

Still...most days are good. I work in a fast paced life science company and am on a career track to be a GM of a business unit / division if all goes well in 2-3 years.

I hope to be 100% cured later this year.

I do worry, though, that this is going to come back to haunt me years down the road when I am in a more senior position.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micpal
Member # 19862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micpal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting your question.
Posts: 20 | From Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I work, the sicker I get. I haven't worked in 10 years. I've tried in my own spare time to attempt to work on schedules or to perform tasks similar to a job -- and all I did was flare-up. Flaring up means it's time for the hospital.

There is no way out that I can see. It is what it is. I'm just fortunate to live at a time in history where my government and society believe in giving me every possible opportunity to survive and become a productive and meaningful contributor to society.

Sadly I have disappointed consistently, and have been disappointed. Perhaps that will change at some point. It's possible.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

MB, same here. I was Type A, worked my arse off and climbed that corp ladder by hard and long hours.

Today I couldn't figure out how to get myself out of a wet bag. Well it would take me awhile. I'm not stupid, lazy, or a taker.

I tried going to work part time in late 05. It was receptionist in my hair salon. It was a test to see how I functioned. All I had to do was answer phone and schedule appt, payment transaction, dust shelves.

6 weeks was the length of time they needed me. I worked less than 15 hrs aweek. I crashed, burned, went deep back into the depths of lyme & co illness again.

I learned that when I told my body/being 12/26/01....I will never work you again unless I'm well. I don't know if it was the chemicals, because I am really sensitive.

I had lone star embedded tick May 05 that took another toll on me. But I was in the pit of he!! for many weeks after stopping the work.

So I'm not in charge here. My inner being is. I will do whatever I have to do for my being in order to get into remission.

Pam

--------------------

BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working full time the entire 2 years. It's not easy.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

MB, it is disappointing to have to accept what has been handed to us. I still to this day after almost 11 years which I had done things differently and maybe avoided still being in this nightmare.

Had I taken off early in 99 when all heck broke loose? I'f I'd been truthful and told everyone and myself to give those 2 promotions to someone else.....If I would of given myself a year to treat with abx and heal? I gave myself 4-6 weeks?

My last annual review from my boss stated "Pam needs to put her health ahead of her career. She is so dedicated to her career that she puts company first."

That was in my only negative part of my evaluation.

I can't change what is, IS.

I give thanks for lessons learned about life. I learned so much about me. I learned virtues that I never had.

I've been blessed.

Pam

--------------------

DanielleMC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielleMC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for responding and reminfing me that I am not alone in this. That's the most important thing to me is to remember I am not alone. Good luck to you all and God Bless.

--------------------
7/09- WB IGG Neg all bands -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
Treated w/ 21 days of Doxy.
10/09- WB IGG Pos bands 41 & 58 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41.
04/11- WB IGG Pos band 66 -WB IGM Pos bands 23 & 41 Pos EBV.

Posts: 121 | From Western PA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gee, just driving is strange enough for me.
and i am afraid to mention it as they will try to take my lic. blind/lost/and not drunk.
I was disabled before Lyme was DX'd...
or perhaps Lyme caused it and
they don't get it,
I feel for you that gotta work,
yet, i would love to work again as many of us want to be PRODUCTIVE again.
we're just lazy...@#$

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement