LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Hand Shakes When Holding Something is This Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand Shakes When Holding Something is This Lyme?
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I picked up a jar to open and my left hand started jerking so bad I couldn't hold it .. I thought it was just my muscle being weak so rested for a couple hours and went to prepare dinner and as soon as I picked up a pot the same thing happened.

It doesn't shake unless I try to hold something, then it trembles/shakes and I have to put whatever I am trying to hold down.This is only in my left hand/arm and I can feel something like a weak muscle tremble all the time. Of course I think MS.

Anyone had this and is it part of lyme or could be something else. No new meds. etc.

Tks.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I had that--Lyme can weaken your muscles. My right leg still gets weak at times--usually when I'm sick or very tired.
Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a condition called essential tremor or familial tremor.

This type of tremor often runs in families.

It is not a symptom of any disease. But, it often gets worse as the years go by. Caffeine makes it worse. It can begin affecting the other arm, legs, etc.

Why not research it and see if it sounds like what you have. My hubby has it and it shows up when he picks up objects, just like you say.

I would not think MS simply because it sounds exactly like essential tremor. If a doc decides it is ET, he will likely put you on a low dose of propanolol. Hubby has taken that for about 10 years and it has worked well for him.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hands and legs started shaking due to extreme weakness after I got Lyme. That symptom mostly went away with abx treatment.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hand threw a cup of coffee on my porch the other day,
and i use both feet when braking my truck as one day my brake foot just quit pushing at a stop sign.
my eyes twich whenever they feel like it and i been finding my arm/shoulder also shake when holding my weight - like when your are laying on the couch and support yourself with your elbow...
feel like i am 90, at 55...
rdaywillcome, soon i hope. [spinning smile]

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tks. all for your replies.I think my muscles are so weak that when I do anything they go into spasms . I am not shaking bad today .. Yesterday I tried to use the weed eater for a few minutes guess muscles can't take it or I am soooo out of shape.

It gets so discouraging one minute you think you can act somewhat "normal" then knocked flat on your back.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely had that with the lyme and found that lots of magnesium took care of it. I take 1500 - 2000 mg a day, to bowel tolerance I also have some liquid magnesium from Vitacost I think that takes affect very quickly. All the supplements to help cellular energy production are good too. Took along time but some of them must be working.
Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I initially thought I had MS, before I was diagnosed with Lyme. And I also had weakness issues. For me, my weakness also started on just one side of my body.... later it moved to the other side. I get the shaky issues, and twitches.

Obviously I'm not a dr.

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a potassium deficiency caused me this kind of thing. i couldn't even hold a pen.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hand tremors from Lyme. They are more noticeable when I'm tired. They got so bad that they were interfering with my work. I was unable to do necessary tasks. I also have neuropathy in my hands, makes everything worse.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement