LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Does anyone have a difficult time at holidays

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone have a difficult time at holidays
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like, especially when having a chronic illness, that holidays are difficult.

I don't feel sad, or poor me.......just a reminder life is not quite where I want to be.

I am supposed to be content in all circumstances......guess I need to focus on that.

Thanks for listening...

I do appreciate and am grateful for our freedom! Happy 4th!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, holidays are hard. I had a co-worker ask happily "so, are you doing anything fun for the 4th?" and I replied, "just catching up on some sleep". Then got the usual response "oh."

Although, I am always happy when the weekend rolls around so that I can sleep in and even take naps if I need to. I don't have to appear to be productive and can just sit on the couch and watch the birds at the bird feeder. That makes me happy and content. I wouldn't do well in a social situation anyways, it would just make me more nervous and frantic.

Happy 4th to everyone! I just wish fireworks weren't so darned expensive - my daughter wanted some this year, but we probably won't get any.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, always.. I think I remember how I use to be and now they are just another day to try to get through.

I get depressed because I want to be doing for the family like I once did but have decided hey, I can't for now. So try to be content with doing nothing.

What gets to me most is I can't travel to see the children, then if they come here I can't cook and do for them. Oh, to be able to go to the beach once again,like we use to as a family on the 4th..

Hugs

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenifer..do they still have sparklers? Or are those pricey too.
I just remember having so much fun with them.

We can't have fireworks here in CA, I understand, but I feel for the kids that can't experience what we did..

I need to grieve the losses of the past
Accept life and not miss the joys of the present

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I volunteered to 'work' on Monday since I had nothing better to do.

I like the people I work with so kinda good.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love holidays except for the fourth of july.

Well this year it isn't so bad ,the neighbor is not having redneck fest this year.

It was 4 days and 3 nights of 50 drunks yelling and burning a fire at times 25 feet high,35 feet from my house.This went on till 3 in the morning for 3 nights.5 years he had this drunken nightmare.

Then the fire works falling on my house and garden,even had a rocked not go off and come down and smashed a hole in my eve troft.

It will take a long time for me to like the fourth again.

Here in Ohio you can buy and set off anything you wan't,the cops won't enforce the laws.
They are doing the same thing them selves.

MADDOG

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog, what happened to the redneck fest? Did he die or is he doing time?

I hope you are doing okay and not howling the next few nights. I've been hearing boom boom all night.

We live in condo community. Tight space. Last year my husband had to go out and tell the dum dum neighbors....hey idiots you see all these roof tops. This is not the place. Take it to an open field.

The police pulled up as my husband was walking away. He heard cop ask dum dums the same questions.

Some people, if they only had a brain!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dogandcats, my problem is everyone else thinks it's a holiday and let's party for 3 days. I don't fit that mold or mentality anymore.

I'd rather do one night of fun and then take care of me. To those that abuse their bodies....you don't know what you are doing, you really don't.

It doesn't make me sad. I can sit and watch others destroy their bodies and I can still laugh and have a good time. I just can't do it on and on and on.

Some folks wear me out just watching them. lol

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Maddog........I am sorry. It sounds like a slice of hell around your place. Nothing says holiday better than drunks, beer, fire, fireworks and mayhem. At least, I hope, they aren't your relatives.

Pam.....I guess I had a different view of holiday. Going to the street fair, playing at the beach like days of old....while sipping my soda-hoping I didn't put my towel down next to any of maddog's out of state friends.

Although we do have some new interesting neighbors....they look like they have either been shopping and storing up for a famine or really ready to par-tay down. That may get old before sundown.

I guess I want to be well and have choices. I know I am some better and have hope I will continue. Just sayin' with a little whining mixed in.

--------------------

Billy Graham

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess since I'm home all the time and so lonely and bored that I love any excuse to get together with friends/family! The hustle and bustle of the holidays are such a welcome distraction for me. It makes me forget I have Lyme! It also means someone else is taking care of my kids so I can just put my feet up and relax!

Our gatherings are all about food though! We eat, we talk, we play and we laugh and we eat again. What's not to like! [Smile]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Oh yeah dogsandcats...you might have free entertainment tonight. That could be fun when they do their light show?

Pam

--------------------

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@DogsandCats... yeah, there are sparklers that aren't too expensive, but my daughter is at that age where she just looks at me and rolls her eyes. Yeah, mom, that's no fun. hahahaha

We're lucky that we don't have too roudy of people in the neighborhood.

--------------------
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

I was able to make it to church today. The walls held up, no early fireworks and I didnt roll down the aisle during communion.

A year ago I would have never thought I would be able to get up dressed and go.

Miracles still happen.

--------------------

Billy Graham

map1131
Member # 2022

Dogandcats, miracles do happen. I'm glad you dressed for church today. Folks might be talking if you didn't.

Today was very patriot. I so enjoyed the sermon and singing. There were years where it was more than I could bear.

I was still scared that I wouldn't find my car. I parked in a new lot (mega church, parking lot covers miles)today and went in a different door.

Oh my. It was easy in and out. Now if I can just remember how to get to that lot next week? [Roll Eyes]

Pam

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Jenifer- sorry I thought I had a brilliant and cheap idea. Eye rolling is a common affliction among teenagers. Soon to evolve into worsening of symptoms, such as heavy sighs, lip curling and unkind words mumbled or spoken thru fake coughs.

Pam- The church is next door to a hospital, so the faithful that would have passed out or expired upon sight of me, naked, at least would have received either immediate medical care or last rites.
It is also a mega church, my first time. Yes, car almost lost.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Billy Graham

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Dogsandcats... hahaha! Yeah, I've already survived 3 step children that are 20, 22, and 23 years old now so I've seen the stages. Although, it might be a bit different this time around since she's not a step child. With "real moms" in the mix, things get complicated. But, all turned out okay in the end :-)

In Minnesota we're not permitted to use any explosive fireworks, so we're stuck with the sparklers, smoking things, and things that light up. So, she's kind of stuck with the lesser impressive fireworks, but there's a lake nearby where they shoot off the big fireworks for our city every year. We're lucky that we can watch them from our driveway instead of having to fight the crowds for a spot at the lake. So, we'll watch those and oooo and aaahhh and that will make up for it.

And, geez, can I use anymore smilies in my posts? I think I use one every time. I am a pretty smiley person, though, so I guess it's fitting.

--------------------

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 4th...
I sat last night.. (here in mid michigan)
and could see a nice blend of lightening Bugs gracefully in waves across the fields, A distant Boom Boom, and Blessed to actually see some far of fireworks light the skies..
Reminding me of the battles our country fought for FREEDOM..
As, the night loomed in and the last big display roared across the meadows some 10 miles away.. sipping on my cold lemon aide, being a patriot was settling in my heart, Being an American, Being Free...
Many years have pasted my eyes and plenty of folks haven't a clue to what they did, on the 4th, got drunk, like I use to, was so busy with suppling others with a good TIME, i missed mine.
perhaps, in this lyme stage of my life the Lord is opening my eyes to see His Glory.
Hope you all and family stay safe and sound ... some day I will light a roman candle and remember what we all faced when we were told -
you are positive for Lyme.. hip hip horay,
now the fight of our lives starts.
surrending To The Lord, and His Blessings.. to each of you all things will bow to The Name "Jesus"

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

We had a quick shower lightening and thunder that moved thru at sun down. I laughed. But shoot it didn't stay around long enough to keep them people indoors.

At least it wetted down the roofs.

Pam

--------------------

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last night outside my window I am SURE the south,was fighting the north

,,or the east was fighting the west,,,

or the ups were fighting the downs,,,

oh wait,,,I live in a war zone anyway. Hard to tell fireworks from gun play.

sounded like world war 3,,, till 2;30.

had to get up at 5 so too late to do any sleeping.

glad when celebrating is over...I used to love fireworks,,now I dont care for them. Too much money spent on noise.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Man I hope everyone spent their life savings on fireworks and are now done.

Some people have more money than sense. I can see going to fun things and watching a professional setting off fireworks.

But this world is full of not so bright people. Some of them have a lighter and toys that are dangerous.

Until next year.

Pam

--------------------

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't read what others wrote. Just responding to the subject line.

Yes. I just hanker down and wait it out. It does set me back emotionally when health is too low for so long to enjoy simple pleasures.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, any holiday because i miss my mom.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am feeling sick, but I go out and push myself. I don't know if it is good or bad. I often do things just because it what others expect, and because it is our tradition to do so. I keep telling myself, "life is for the living," and that as long as I have a chance to put one foot in front of the other, I should. I know all are not as fortunate.

Then later I pay. Again, I don't know if it is good or bad, but I did enjoy my week end and being with my loved ones, attending the fireworks, etc. Driving back two hours in the middle of the night with my youngest son.

Also, we did take it a little easier than we did last year, doing less during the day on Monday so we could store up energy for the night. We were quite the trio: me, with Lyme, my mom slowing down just a bit at 82 years and youngest son feeling bad with a summer cold, lol. I felt at least eight years older than mom.

So very tired today.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement