LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Is it really possible ssdi checks etc might not come next month?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it really possible ssdi checks etc might not come next month?
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-lawmakers-fall-short-debt-deal-045247357.html

It says it will hit the elderly and veterans first but I am sure it will hit the disabled as well. No one deserves this.

I am seriously stressed about this.

I hope its all just a big bluff so they get the increase. If not things are going to get bad.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
merry hon, don't worry. it's just a political game.

part of hub's retirement is a social security check and we get two government checks. we'd be screwed big time.

i ain't worried. somebody will cave before all this.

thank heavens for the money from mom's estate. i've got a little padding, not much, but enough.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be devastating, no doubt. I have a family member that depends on it too.

I don't think legally they can withhold it. The US will go into a uproar if it were to come to pass, tho...and Obama would be toast because it happened on his watch.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Social security is a mandatory program. It relies on a trust fund so the benefits aren't appropriated.

I could see not having the funds to pay employees and the checks not getting sent out b/c there is no one there to do it. But the money for the benefits is there.

Either way, if the checks don't get sent out, this reflects very poorly on Obama since he has the power to shuffle money around if need be and make sure the checks get sent out.

I think they will get sent out. If they don't, it would be bad politically for him. Of course, he will try to place the blame elsewhere.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i heard on tv today that this administration, tho, has raided the social security funds to pay for all those tarp bailouts, etc., so there is NO funding in it.

so if they don't pass a budget, we're screwed.

somebody has to blink and i'm betting it will be the republicans.

and those checks will also affect the military.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...even if they don't pass a budget...they will keep crucial/critical programs going.

My husband works for the State of Minnesota and is laid-off right now because they shut government down over there due to no budget agreement...but, they are keeping certain programs going even during the shut-down.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I didn't know that randi. I haven't paid much attention to the news as of late which is so NOT me!! I'm a moderator at a political forum and am so a political junkie! Not lately though. Just don't have it in me. [Frown]

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The social security trust fund really does not exist. The money paid in just goes into the general fund to pay for everything. So, there is not some big pile of cash just sitting there to pay only for social security benefits.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

thank you lou. i knew there was something about it not existing.

egads tho, i'm still screwed. government and military checks, if they are impacted, means me -- big time.

i would have NO income.

ah well still not worried. don't need the stress.

i'll go be a greeter at walmart since i spend so much time there anyway.

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so how can they continue to take money out of peoples checks who work and not provide benefits?

I am barely making it as it is, I just hope that this doesnt come true. And only lie a 2 week notice of the possibility of not having it? I am so discouraged lately...

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl,

I wouldn't worry about this. The politicians all want to keep their jobs and someway somehow the situation will get resolved -- there is way too much at stake for the U.S. and the world economy for the federal govenment to default.

That is not to say they will not just vote on some temporary 3 or 6 month fix again and have to go through the same fiasco again in the not so distant future.

Hubby also relies on his social security and I am 99.99% sure it will be there. Things like food stamps and some other government assistance may actually end up getting funding cuts, but that is all up in the air right now.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take care of today, and see the Lord fix tomorrow.

we all have a steak in this country,
God, Bless The U S A

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Good point Lou. I didn't mean to imply that there was some big pile of cash just sitting there. I would think though that when it came to figuring out where the money goes, SS would be a priority. Which is why I made the comment about Obama shuffling money around. Very poor wording on my part. I blame it on my massage yesterday! LOL!

I also read that more money comes in than goes out....at least at this point in time...to pay out SS checks.

Listen to Bea Merrygirl. She is right. Try not to worry. We all have enough to worry about in just dealing with this disease.

This is really all fear mongering on Obama's part and we're not going to default. Election time is nearing and its time to play politics. He wants to put pressure on the Repubs to cave into what he wants.

--------------------

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let go and Let God. Don't worry about that stuff they try to feed people to make them fearful.

Only people that spout evil are saying these things.

Those people in DC better get real or they are going home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The debt ceiling and budget are 2 different things. Although for political reasons they are trying to tie the 2 together.

What they are talking about is funding things we already bought. What they are talking about doing has never been done in the history of the country.

Neither party will allow us to default on our existing obligations and allow the credit rating of the US to go down the tubes.

They will raise the debt ceiling as we have for decades... then they have to get together and stop putting their party first, put the country first and negotiate where we can cut spending and increase revenue. This is the serious discussion we have to have as a country. Not something we really dont have a choice in and BOTH parties know that.

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lexalou
Member # 32663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lexalou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no they will be paid because they will take the money out first. I just heard it. that was just Obama's way of giving an altermatum to get the debt ceiling increased.
Posts: 33 | From PA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First the essentials like military, social security will be paid...the House can have an emergency session to get this done....remember the govt shut down under Clinton in the 1990s and we survived...
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
big bluff

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toots- not a bluff, I'm afraid. Our political parties disagree vehemently on absolutely fundamental questions about size and role of government, and neither side is backing down.

Merry- I was worried too for a bit, but not now. Our checks will come.

The consequences of not raising the debt ceiling are too catastrophic for it not to happen.

If the deadlock in Congress can't be broken, Obama will act unilaterally to raise it, and let the courts settle things later on as they may.

OOOmmmmmmm....

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesdilly:
I was worried too for a bit, but not now. Our checks will come.

The consequences of not raising the debt ceiling are too catastrophic for it not to happen.

That's what I meant... they will have to take care of it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement