LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I'm NOT changing my name!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm NOT changing my name!!!!
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I'm down to 12.

Fat, stupid, mean hawks.

Poor chicken. Poor me. Hugs welcome. [Frown]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWWWW... I thought maybe someone had Googled "17 hens" and found out all kinds of stuff about you!!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awe....I'm sorry.

Sending hugs your way.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DKat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DKat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17hens....I'm sorry. The lady we've been getting our eggs off from has lost her chickens to a crafty fat fox! Too bad the fox couldn't have the hawk!

Would any of these play owls help? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=garden+owl&x=0&y=0

--------------------
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.

Posts: 338 | From NEPA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu - watchu talkin' bout!!! (I think I'll google myself and check what kind of stuff is out there...) [bonk]

Thanks for the hugs, philly. Tonight I need them. [shake]

DKat - that's a fabulous idea! My dad uses play owls around his gardens to keep the birds and rodents out. I'll see him tomorrow and find out if he has an owl to spare! You're brilliant! Thank you!!!! [kiss]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hens, do you really feel sad when your birds die?

I lost 2 guineas last week, and I didn't feel the slightest bit of remorse.

You ain't gettin no hugs from me. You gotsta toughen up, girl! [Smile] [lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

I know, my husband doesn't understand either.

Well, I have a few favorites. Each one looks very different and 7 of them I raised from eggs in an incubator in my living room.

They give me creamy colored eggs, brown eggs, light blue eggs and olive colored eggs. So perdy!

Every day, I find a few things from my fridge to feed them and when I call them from my kitchen window, they all come running from different corners of the yard. Yeah, I get kinda attached to the girls when they run to me!

They're all just so funny, they make me laugh.

Ever feed your hens a half a watermelon and watch them all gather round, sticking their heads way down into it and all you see is a circle of tails way up in the air? Funny!

Or ever see chickens run down a hill? Waddle, waddle - hysterical! (Like the movie, Chicken Run!)

When I walk from my kitchen door down to the coop, they all come running from different directions and follow me down the hill, me in front, a trail of hens behind me, the louder ones talking, talking. Cracks me up!

Ever glance out your window in time to see a fat chicken running as fast as she can in circles, almost dancing across the yard? Takes you a minute to figure out she's chasing a flying bug!

So as they disappear one by one, I'm a little sad, yes. I'll miss them. Not to mention, being eaten by a hawk wouldn't be a very nice way to go.

But no worries, I'm way tough about other things! [Razz]

[group hug]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

James1979
Unregistered

Okay, sorry I was being so insensitive.

I guess it's different when they come at your command.

My hens are dumber than bricks.

I kick them sometimes.

Have you ever tried to feed them yogurt? Now THAT is funny! [Smile] I take pictures of them after they get yogurt all over their faces!

17hens
Member # 23747

Nah, I understand, James. I know it's weird for someone to be attached to chickens! I just can't help it! [Big Grin]

I know they're just birds, dirty, so darn dumb, but they're also pretty and funny and they sure have brightened my days.

I'm just sorry to see them go, that's all.

My husband has trellises for beans and cucumbers against the back of the house outside of the kitchen and bathroom windows. Since I throw food out the kitchen window for the chickens, they've started noticing movement thru the windows panes.

A few times already, we'll be eating dinner (eat-in-kitchen) and all of a sudden there'll be a chicken sitting on top of the trellis, staring thru the window at us.

It's really funny when someone is sitting on the "toilette" and all of a sudden they find themselves eyeball to eyeball with a chicken! Ha! That happened to me once and I almost fell over!

OK, done mourning yesterday's chicken. Just hope the hawk is full for a good long while.

Thanks for endulging me! [group hug]

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good heavens. you have chickens??? i actually thought maybe you had 17 kids or 17 pets or something....

silly me....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Randi, a lot of people have chickens these days. Even the non-farmer type people.

Every time you eat a regular commercial egg you're eating tons of toxins, plus antibiotics. Plus the store eggs aren't nearly as nutritious as eggs you grow on your own.

Even a dozen chickens is usually more than enough eggs to feed a small family.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my daughter HAD chickens,,,till the racoons had the chickens

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, i think they're cute anyway... so yours would be considered "free range" then right?

do they lay brown eggs? i'd love to buy brown eggs but grocery stores charge so much for them.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Free range, and they mow (and fertilize) your lawn for free!

The color eggs depends on what breed you got. A lot of them lay brown eggs. The Auracanas usually lay the light/blue green eggs that Hens has described above.

But some of the "free range" ones lay white eggs also. A lot of people don't know that the color of the egg shells doesn't affect the quality or nutrition of the product. The white eggs are just as healthy as the brown ones, as long as the chickens are treated the same.

The problem is that most of the white eggs in the stores are from sick chickens, so that's why they get a bad name.

I'd like to disagree with both Randi and Hens about how chickens are "cute". Do you really think it's cute when they have **** caked to their rear ends?! [Smile]

randibear
Member # 11290

well no, but i still think they're cute...

my mom was raised on a ranch and said there was (1) no worse smell that wet chickens and (2) no nastier creature than a chicken...

she hated chicken until she died.

--------------------

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we had several hundreds of chickens running around the yard, loose. We had a fence to keep them out of the flowers,garden, house etc.

Nothing cute about getting chicken do-do on your barefeet or good shoes and drag it in the car,,,house,,other places you didnt want it.

Always one that fell in the stock tank trying to get a drink. And if one got in the hog yard,,,they either got out fast or hogs gottem.

And scooping chicken poo out of the coup by hand every month or two,,,never your eyes will sting and lungs hurt as it will in pure poo and ammonia it makes.

Then limed and ground corn cobs installed for the next month. And little bitty doors to pitch it out of.

One facet of my youth not missed. Especially when we had like 600 laying hens for hatching eggs.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
Do you really think it's cute when they have **** caked to their rear ends?! [Smile]

DE is the answer to that problem!

JustDon, I don't even know what to say to that. That sounds completely awful!

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Another chicken lover here.

The kiddos and I just spent the good part of the day yesterday cleaning the coop out. I found mites in the nesting boxes so we cleaned head to toe and put the DE in and dusted the girls and roo good.

We haven't lost any yet. One day we found two racoons sleeping in the nesting boxes right next to the hens. They were so full on feed they didn't care to taste the girls.

My son scared them out with his bb gun and I with a stick in my hand and in my night gown at 7am. We fixed the door that they pried open and so far safe and sound. We got all Buff Orps. and we love to watch them. Good for the heart and soul, (00ps, I almost typed Good for the heart and soup.) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

TS - it was nice to read your post.

Are the mites bad? What kind of damage can they do? I've been seeing light tan-colored mites recently.

I use a lot of DE on the bedding and in their food.

That's crazy that a racoon was sleeping in the coop!

I use a paintball gun to get rid of my pests. Humans too.

2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so funny-

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Hugs,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my area there has been a problem with hawks picking up dogs and taking off with them. also dive bombing people who are taking walks.

about a year ago i saw an eagle fly through the air and grab a squirrel out of a tree and fly away with it. an awesome sight.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

we once had owls attacking all that moved, Mother owls are very aggresive. They ear alot of mice,,,so good for them.

--------------------
just don

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
isnt that why you have a rooster to wart of attackers ?

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

The roosters are good for nothin. All they do is make noise and mount the ladies. Some of my guy friends are like that too.
17hens
Member # 23747

TS, what a funny story! Made me laugh out loud!

2roads!!! [group hug] [group hug] [group hug] Good to see you, friend!!! This is a funny thread, isn't it! [Big Grin]

James, have you ever tried letting them dust in DE? Does wonders for my hens!

We got our weapon of choice from 5&Below. It's like a plastic bucket with a plastic bag inside it hooked to a slingshot. You pull it back and let it rip! It shoots air so far you can move someone's hair from across the yard! It makes a loud popping sound when you do it. So loud it chases the cat back into the house when he sneaks out to chew on grass. And it scares hawks away! [Wink]

JunkYard, you saw an eagle grab a squirrel? I bet that was impressive!

just don, you mean the owl attacked all that moved...at night or in the daytime? Wow!

Payne, I don't have a rooster any more. When the 6 acre lot sold below ours, wouldn't you know they built a house 20 feet from our coop! We thought we'd better get rid of the loud guy before the neighbors made us get rid of everything. Sheesh!

TC, I can't believe you're letting this thread slip thru your fingers...

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had chickens for one year now, so I'm still learning all this stuff.
Those mites can be pretty bad. They were tiny black ones and they bite and suck blood.

Our rooster looks protective and acts like top dog but he's a chicken when it comes raccoons. None of the hens did anything when they were sleeping with the coon. I think they must have looked like the cat, because our cat looks like a coon.

Our two dd's dress the hens up and treat the roo like a baby, so they are very tame.

I took the spurs off of the rooster with two hot potatoes.(ever done that?) That was fun. It's like pulling a tooth out. We did it because they were too sharp and cutting up the hens when mating.

This is what I do when I am in remission and enjoying life.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwwwe, hens! I'm sorry. We've lost a few hens to the heat too. Even our wonderful pet that would sit on our arm. Egg production has almost ceased. We'll be outta the heat before ya know it!!!

A friend in cognito.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Is the reason you're incognito a secret? If so, PM me! (I'm curious and curiouser!)

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
The roosters are good for nothin. All they do is make noise and mount the ladies. Some of my guy friends are like that too.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so sad for your chickens!

I am getting Guinea Fowl and I am sure I will get attached to the individuals and will loose some

Here's a thought: do you know the song...

"And when I'm dead!, and when I'm gone!,
there will be - one child born to - carry on!!!"

I love that song

Maybe you can get some chicks to replace the hens and maybe - just maybe - there will be a very special one amoung them to bring you much joy! [Smile]

Practically: the book "Gardening with Guineas" has some info on your rights to shoot predators but you may have to check with your Game Warden or State Wildlife Officer to stay out of trouble (jail) since some species of wildlife are protected

never thought of shooting anything? well, maybe it will be a whole new experience to defend your feathered friends

I am thinking about it....

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hens,

I certainly can understand your pain.

I get attached to anything that breathes...even feel bad if I have to kill a bug! LOL!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Harmony - the first time you kill something, you can't sleep at night. By the third time, you snore like a baby.

Has anybody seen a rooster mount another rooster? I had a rooster like that last year. He would crack me up! Sometimes he would even mount the other roosters backwards! [lol]

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aww the memories your posts brought. Grew up w/Rhode-Island Reds. [Smile]
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement