LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I really miss not being able to read a novel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I really miss not being able to read a novel
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried books on tape by I fall asleep

Wondering what others have done to read that just might work??

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dread that. i have experienced it and then been able to. i at least enjoy it while i am reading. i never remember it after tho. but it takes me away...like calgon...from pain while i am reading

i also experienced a long time of not being able to watch movies cuz they made me dizzy after my last head injury. also sometimes i cant follow them

but i try to do both a lot now cuz i know the time is coming when i wont be able to.

kam...when i was at my worst i listened to a lot of music. i could do that.

even playing a movie with a lot of music and keeping my eyes shut worked

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sad, now i have time to read and can't remember waht i read...there i go again with that word - waht?
would like to have a post on the top 5 books that non lyme people could read to know what it is to be in our shoes...

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son was 11 when he first got sick and he could not read at all anymore. He went from reading every day, every time he had a chance to not being able to read at all.

Hydergine is the thing that helped him to read again.

It was suggested in Andrew Hall Cutler's book "Amalgam Illness" as something you can take while chelating to combat the brain fog.

It is listed in the U.S. as approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease

It is available with a doctor's prescription in the U.S. or there are a couple of places you can order overseas. We went with the U.K. because it was less expensive there.

Good luck. Hope you get back to reading!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to look up this product you got that helped. Healther.

I know I have a mouth full of fillings and two caps on the front teeth...started noticing weird symptoms in 99 when I had the caps replaced.

Original's were done when I was 7 or ? Fell and broke off my front teeth.

I am not able to listen to music either for the most part.

Same part of the brain I guess.

And do need to watch slow moving movies.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, I'm a big reader. Love it. It's how I cope after everyone but me is up with insomnia and wanting to focus on someone else story.

But I've not picked up a novel in over 3 mths. I've been in quite a state mentally and have not been able to focus on anything but short reading like mags or newspaper.

I've gone through these periods since '99 where my mind just can't focus and I really miss reading during these periods (I don't know what to call them, something is just off upstairs).

My neighbor told me Sunday she's finishing up The Help and don't buy it. She share hers. I know I've heard so much about this book. I just hope and pray I can get my brain into it.

I miss my novel reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's to you getting back there soon girl.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Smiling Pam. You too.

It has been 10 yrs for me. [Frown]

I think I have been able to read 3 novels in those 10 yrs. One was pam's book: Cure Unknown.

EllieP50
Member # 15936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EllieP50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've a lot of problems reading too. I used to read all the time, but after I got Lyme everytime I picked up a book, I'd fall asleep in two seconds.

I had a lot of memory problems.neurological etc. initially with Lyme so I figured it was related to that. I was surprised to find that using an e-reader has actually helped me and I've started reading novels again.

I can adjust the print size, and the brightness level. I've had eye problems with lyme and can never seem to get enough light. Perhaps the e-reader suggestion will help someone else. I discovered it totally by accident and wouldn't have predicted it.

Posts: 34 | From Saratoga Springs, NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Amazing how that works. I'll do a search for e-reader to learn more.
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Nook, but I'll admit that I end up buying a ton more books than I normally would because it's so easy to buy them. I don't have that physical stack in front of me as a guideline to realize how much I've spent.

I have the Nook that isn't color. I don't like things that are back-lit as they tend to be too bright and hard on my eyes.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenifer - is the Nook similar to the Kindle?

I am curious about both. I have some eye sensitivity too but it has been getting a little better lately.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I think I also need things spaced. A solid text would be too much.
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read books in large print from the library. Not all of them come like that but it does make it easier on the eyes.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading has most definetly been a challege to me. I find that now if I read, mysteries are the easiest for me to retain. My attention span is not what it use to be.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeThyme
Member # 27926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeThyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kindle allows you to adjust both the size of the font and the spacing of the lines. I have found it to be much easier to read than a print book since there is less text on each page.
Posts: 21 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Kindle. No back light. Not at all like reading on a computer screen. Almost like reading a book but you can change the text, font and spacing.

I also like how light it is. Books get heavy.

If you get rely lazy you can have it read to you. I don't like this feature but my kids do.

There are lots of free books on the Kindle.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had a hard time reading text books because the print looks wavy to him. He has an iPad and reading is so much easier for him. He just started college part-time and he got his books in PDF so he can put them on his laptop & his iPad.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Good to know you can change the spacing and that it is light weight.

My arms are weak so just holding a book is too much. I might be able to lie down and set the kindle next to me and read it. Cool.

PG I started with the large print but that didn't solve the problem.

Glad it is working for you.

JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how the Nook compares to the Kindle. I think they all have their issues. On my Nook, I can change the font style and the font size, but I can't change the spacing at all. And, sometimes you just can't change the font style, but it will try. All depends on how the publisher set up the epub file in the first place. I work for a publisher and our editors now construct the book so that it more easily converts to an ePub file in the end instead of doing the manuscript first and then wrestling to get it to work as an ebook after the fact. I would expect that more publishers will move that direction in which case the eReaders will have more control over things like the font style, etc.

One thing I don't like about my Nook is the way that the Next and Previous page buttons work. They aren't really buttons but bendy parts in the plastic. So, you press the bendy spot and it pushes down to trigger the next/previous page action. Only the right "Next" button works on mine and has developed a crack in the plastic because I use it the most. Only had my Nook for a year and it's cracked already. So, I would expect the ereaders with actual buttons (instead of bendy plastic spots) would maybe work more reliably.

Oh, and pressing Next and Previous is a bit tougher because you have to push the plastic down as opposed to just a button. With my Lyme lack of strength, it's becoming more of a problem.

BUT, I do like that the ereaders because you can just lay it on your knees or table and just click the next page button when ready. I'm finding it harder and harder to hold open an actual book to read. So, this is a nice thing.

I do like the color cover thumbnails at the bottom of the Nook, although they are too small to really read them. They're just fun to have. That's one of the things I miss about having print books... I love looking at the covers [Smile]

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worried about adding another electronic piece into my life. Does anyone have any knowledge that the Kindle gives off any toxins or rays anything that would make the neuro stuff react?

I try to be so careful exposing myself to our toxic world.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Pam about adding another electronic device. It is taxing on the nervous system.

I was always a voracious reader until the past few years. I, also, really, really miss it.

For me, I have found that I can read if the story is light, I don't read much at a time and it is a good book.

I just finished "over the edge", the novel about the wife of an anti-lyme doc who is purposefully
infected with the disease in order to extort her husband to change is opinion.

It was easily readable and fascinating. I would recommend giving it a try.

That being said, my teenage daughter was very ill with Lyme for three years. There was no way she could read at all. In our situation, I read out loud to her - daily, sometimes for hours at a time. It was one of the few things that would take her mind off her pain. I read her to sleep at night every night. It was a wonderful bonding experience in an otherwise nightmarish time. It exposed us both to many books that we both enjoyed.

I don't know if there is anyone in your life who would be willing to read to you, but if there is, even sporadically, you would BOTH benefit. It's so much better than a book on CD.

Good luck with this. It is so hard to lose this simple, much-treasured pass time.

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Do we have to worry about any mold on the pages of books?

Especially since I take books out from the library (since I have no more space in my small apt to store bought books).
You can't control the mold environment of people who check the books out, etc.

Just wondering..

--------------------
 -

searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a color nook for christmas from my in laws. It has been a blessing. I still cannot do marathon reads, where I get so submerged in my book that I forget to come up for air, or toy eat or sleep, but I CAN read now. Little bits at a time. I can adjust both size and brightness, and it has helped a ton. I highly recommend one. There are so many good features, and with the nook, you can share books between friends. So, if you get one, pm me and we can trade books. I have a few on Lyme as well.
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Penquingirl - that's why I got the Kindle. No more books for me. I threw hundreds of books away with my mold catastrophe.

I love books... but I believe books are what brought the mold in. I used to buy books from library sales, get books from the library, buy books from ebay, half.com... used books are so cheap!

One spore of stachybotrys + one leak in your home is all it takes... then, voila... they multiply!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement