LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » You know you're getting old when...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You know you're getting old when...
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm tired of getting senior citizen discounts when I don't ask, and am being 'stalked' by AARP, not to mention the Alzheimer's stuff I just received in the mail.

So I decided it's best to have a sense of humor about all of this and start a thread.

Anybody feeling a little over the hill can respond if they want.

I'll start. You know you're getting old when:

You signal to change lanes and don't realize until 10 minutes later that your turn signal is still on.

[ 10-12-2011, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: linky123 ]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you're getting old when your LymeNet account was created over a decade ago. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no seat belts AND no air conditioner.....

long drives across the states with NO A/C...

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I was school-age, we didn't have an air conditioner in our house.

We had an attic fan and slept with the windows open. You could do that back then without worrying about someone breaking into your house.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

DogsandCats,

I used to stand up between my parents in the front seat of the car.

The 'safety police' would have a hissy fit over that nowadays.

Our dog usually hung out our window too.

--------------------

linky123
Member # 19974

James,

A member # of 31926 does not necessarily make you a spring chicken!

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by linky123:
James,

A member # of 31926 does not necessarily make you a spring chicken!

Dang. I gotta stop laughing at old people now. [Razz]
linky123
Member # 19974

Nah! I'm old and I laugh at them. Makes me feel better. I also have to laugh at myself too.

--------------------

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When college seems like yesterday and its 39 years ago !!
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
linky 123

our doxie always rode in the car. sat on the back of my dad's shoulder rest and actually fell out of the car one time - he was fine...

cross country = the old mattress in the back of the station wagon and we kids read and slept. NO
Seatbelts....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dogsandcats:
linky 123

our doxie always rode in the car. sat on the back of my dad's shoulder rest and actually fell out of the car one time - he was fine...

cross country = the old mattress in the back of the station wagon and we kids read and slept. NO
Seatbelts....

Did you really name your son "doxie"? That's a very unique name.

Was the car moving when he "fell out"?

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you used the tern "fag" you meant a cigarette.

To turn the brights on in the car you used your foot.

Remember seeing people throwing their garbage out of their car windows before the "Don't be litterbug" campaign...no fines either.

Telephone party lines or four digit phone numbers.

Soda only came in bottles.

Needed a can opener to open a pop when they did come out with canned pop.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

LizD,

It has been 31 years for me and yes, it seems like yesterday.

DogsandCats,

I'm glad Doxie survived the fall. Amazing we made it through childhood without all the safety gear that is mandatory now.

No bike helmets, and we road our bicycles on gravel and everything else.

You know your really getting old when you sit on the potty and read the Dr. Leonard's catalogue.

--------------------

sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prank calls before *69 and paranoia

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

sbh93,

I really miss those prank calls, both making and getting them.

momindeep,

Those sodas in the glass, returnable bottles were the best. Especially when they had been on ice. No canned soda can compete.

--------------------

linky123
Member # 19974

Stillwater,

We didn't have coal where I grew up, just chalk, and we did play hopscotch. Only white chalk. I don't even know when they came out with colors.

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Ok James, I will bite

Where did you gather that the dog was my son and don't start on Billie Jean was a chair...

No the car was not moving, my dad was at a stoplight and max leaned too far out and went kerplunk.

Prank calls....is your refrigerator running? Better go catch it?
Ha ha ha....good time, good times.

--------------------

Billy Graham

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know your old as dirt when---your name is---just don.

Had some new fangle stuff,,,like phone ring of short long short,,then you answered the wooden box on the wall.

And telephone meetings in peoples houses of neighbors who OWNed the phone lines,,,and if one fell down or broke, it was out of service till one of them fixed it themselves.

Sand was so hot it burned thru bottom of hole riddled shoes. It always got 105-119 for a week or two,,,just too hot to sleep

cause for sure ac was a window fan that worked, one in and one out on each end of house,

Woke up with snow on blankets in upstairs many a time with not an ounce of heat when 20-30 below zero. Didnt need heat cause had no plumbing.

Oil stove and wood cook stove was only heat on first floor,,,you snuggled real close putting your froze stiff clothes on in morning.

When you hit the frozen sheets at night it really hurt for first few minutes til your body heat warmed them up...and no carpet on floors,,,cold as ice to feet.

Actually painted linoleum floors to preserve life span,

Harnessing those huge horses to do things,,,and two guys riding on back of dusty hay baler to hand tie the exiting hay bales.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Ok James, I will bite

Where did you gather that the dog was my son

Oh, oh.... sorry. I don't think you mentioned anywhere that "doxie" was a dog, so that's why I was confused. [Smile]
linky123
Member # 19974

Yep, I remember when the phone was on the kitchen wall; I think it was bright yellow.

You were high-tech if you had the extra long chord.

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

my brother - who was older than me and did not want to be at the drive in with me (can't say I blame him now,just didn't understand as a kid)- BUT he had to babysit me that nite..

was in such a hurry to get home
he drove off with the speaker still in the window.
The cord flapping in the wind...

i learned a couple of new words that night.

he drove back and placed it on the pole and we screeched off..

--------------------

Billy Graham

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--You enjoy reading obituaries ! [bonk] [bonk]

I often check the obits in an area paper. They are sometimes very interesting! The paper doesn't have much of a limit so people write the person's entire life story (well, almost!).

That can get interesting when the person survived the Holocaust or WWII, etc!

--

most of you are talking about when you were YOUNG .. did I read this wrong? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
You know you're getting old when your LymeNet account was created over a decade ago. [Smile]

-
I resemble that remark!! [cussing]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
no seat belts AND no air conditioner.....

long drives across the states with NO A/C...

-
Try driving from Houston to Los Angeles, to Yellowstone in July/Aug with no seat belts and no air conditioning. We were young and tough! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I resemble that remark!! [cussing]

Yes, you DO resemble that remark! [lol]

Are you sure you don't mean that you RESENT that remark? [Wink] [lol]

linky123
Member # 19974

Tutu,

Randibear mentioned on another thread that the obits would be even more entertaining if they told the cause of death.

We were young and tough AND we just didn't know any better.

You read the thread right, but it's kinda evolved a little but that's ok, this was just for fun anyway.

James,

How old are you? (I know, personal question and all but we're all friends here, right?)

[ 10-13-2011, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: linky123 ]

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

James .. for all your other-worldliness you are so sheltered. "I resemble that remark" is an old play on words. (just for fun!) [Cool]

Isn't it strange (sometimes) that they DON'T say how a person died? Like, what's the big secret? C'mon.. give us a hint by asking us to donate to the American Cancer Society or Turn the Corner Foundation! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Tutu,

Seems like I remember Foghorn Leghorn saying that, or maybe Bugs Bunny or Sylvester?

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:

I do feel kinda embarrassed that I didn't recognize the "I resemble that remark" line (and that I tried to correct you! [Eek!] ). Is that something that mostly old people use? I don't think I've ever heard that in my life.

Maybe it's a Southern thing! [Razz]

Now you've insulted ME... I am NOT old!! [cussing]

[ 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

here is the answer so you will not be embarrassed at the next gala you attend:

http://gemstatewriters.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/i-resemble-that-remark/

--------------------

Billy Graham

James1979
Unregistered

LOL! Tutu "accidentally" erased what I wrote above! [Smile] I didn't even use profanity!

That's okay, Tutu. I usually don't write anything useful anyway. [Wink]

dogsandcats: What I'm getting from that article is that the phrase "I resemble that remark" is from the year 1775. SO... basically, I shouldn't feel bad for not knowing it, right? Also, only a few members on this forum (like Tutu) were actually around in the 18th century, so I guess it's more like an "inside joke". [lol]

James1979
Unregistered

P.S. So nobody gets confused - 3 posts above this one was written by Tutu, not myself (even though it has my username on it).
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
P.S. So nobody gets confused - 3 posts above this one was written by Tutu, not myself (even though it has my username on it).

[bonk] [bonk] [bonk]

So embarrassing .. Dogsandcats .. do not emulate me!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:

dogsandcats: What I'm getting from that article is that the phrase "I resemble that remark" is from the year 1775. SO... basically, I shouldn't feel bad for not knowing it, right? Also, only a few members on this forum (like Tutu) were actually around in the 18th century, so I guess it's more like an "inside joke". [lol]

-
Payback, huh?! [tsk] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Careful there son, TUTU and I are close in age.

WOOF!

--------------------

Billy Graham

Lymetoo
Member # 743

You know you're getting old when you accidentally mess up someone's post!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

If you did mess one up, then one out of 60,000 ain't bad!

--------------------

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you are getting old when you try to think ........ and nothing happens!
Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you put your bra on backwards and it fits better...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo you enjoy reading the obituaries oh no!
You know your getting old when you know the people in those obituaries!

James you are far to young to be adding anything in here!

...Or when were use to consider thirty was old now we wish we were thirty!

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...you're able to say we used to make our own copies by hand-cranking the mimeograph machine and all sheets came out with purple ink!

...you recall dialing phone numbers by sticking fingers in real holes in the dial.

...you remember that a carton of milk cost 5 cents at school.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by JAC:
Lymetoo you enjoy reading the obituaries oh no!
You know your getting old when you know the people in those obituaries!

-
HA! That too!! I find people to be interesting. Can you tell? [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
...you're able to say we used to make our own copies by hand-cranking the mimeograph machine and all sheets came out with purple ink!

...you recall dialing phone numbers by sticking fingers in real holes in the dial.

...you remember that a carton of milk cost 5 cents at school.

-

All of the above!!! The cartons were not cartons, they were GLASS!

as for mimeograph.. you forgot the purple FINGERS!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the whole class would get high from the mimeograph ink smell [Big Grin] when the teacher handed out the copies.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when a old friend says

"gee, I thought you died years ago"
 -

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you're getting old when you can remember using the outhouse as a kid, with the catalog for wiping!! Yes, it's true - and I'm only 44!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

drinking out of the garden hose...EEEYYYUUU it tasted awful.

--------------------

Billy Graham

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 cents milk? your all too young for me

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by momindeep:
And the whole class would get high from the mimeograph ink smell [Big Grin] when the teacher handed out the copies.

-
HA! That's RIGHT! I can smell it now and feel the damp paper.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

payne... true!!

lymeladyNY .. had an outhouse on our wooded land (weekend place) where I got ticks. We were uptown though, we had real toilet paper! [Razz]

don.. it's just cheaper in Nebraska .. dairies and all!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

James1979
Unregistered

You know you're getting old when you start getting hair underneath your armpits.
linky123
Member # 19974

You remember the milk truck coming at 4am and the glass bottles in the milk box by the back door.

Very funny James!

Please remember to respect your elders if you want to continue taking part in this thread.

We may have to have Tutu delete you.

[ 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: linky123 ]

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, another memory just percolated up: you know you're getting old when you remember that doctors once made housecalls! Our pediatrician came to see us once and I told him I was busy and could he please wait!

And when you remember your grandmother's songs, and look at what things cost then! Sorta like Just Don's time -

I walked three blocks, and I turned the corner
And I went right into a bakery shop.
I picked three donuts right outa the grease,
And handed the lady a five-cent piece.

She looked at the nickel and she looked at me,
And she said, "This nickel's no good to me.
It's got a hole in the middle and it's all the way through,"
But I said, "The donuts got a hole in them too!"

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Robin,

Love the poem...

You know you're getting old when you go to visit your aunt at the assisted living, and one of the residents asks you if you live there.

I was highly insulted, but just said, 'no ma'am.'

My husband said, 'don't worry about it, she's just senile.'

--------------------

linky123
Member # 19974

James,

My husband wants to know if you have hair in your nose and ears yet?

Of course, he doesn't but just wants to know if you do.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by linky123:
You remember the milk truck coming at 4am and the glass bottles in the milk box by the back door.

Very funny James!

Please remember to respect your elders if you want to continue taking part in this thread.

We may have to have Tutu delete you.

-
That's right, linky! Tutu has the magic button at her fingertips and so does Dogsandcats! [tsk]

-

Our neighbors got the milk bottles at the door. We were not that rich and bought ours at the grocery store! [lol]

You REALLY know you're old when you remember $.17 a gallon gasoline and $.03 stamps! [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

I remember .20 per gallon; that's pretty darn close.

I didn't realize getting the milk from the milk truck made us rich! I am glad to finally know that we were.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement