LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Need 12 step de-tox program for sugar addiction problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need 12 step de-tox program for sugar addiction problem.
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have all kinds of de-tox programs for addicts where they go away for 1 week to 30 days for complete detox from alcohol or drugs. I want to know where I can get in a detox for sugar addiction. I'm serious, everyone says "just don't eat sugar". Easier said than done, nobody ever says how to do it.

They give drug addicts low amounts of various substance to detox on what is called a 'slow taper' from their drug of choice. Why isn't this available for sugar addicts.

It would be nice to go away for 1 week on lock-down from starches and sugar, that way, couldn't get to the stuff. Once weaned from the sugar it would be easier to maintain sobriety.

I need this done in a controlled environment..

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya, man!!!! [lol] Clear out the kitchen and go cold turkey. Don't go shopping for a week! Too tempting!! [Razz]

Once you get (possible) candida under control, then the abstaining is easier. It's the yeast talking!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhhhhh!! I knew you'd say that. You're supposed to lock me down for 1 week or straight-jacket my body to control withdrawal to the fridge and cupboard. Heck, I don't buy the stuff, I live with others who do.

No control...I need a meeting.!!!

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Personally, I would not form a program based on the alcohol model. While sugar can be addictive, I think it's really our bodies crying for certain nutrients. And we need to fill that need. Just with real foods and real nutrients.

The body is out of balance, deficient in key foods. That is very different than alcohol or drug addiction.

There are some good books, such as Sugar Blues (I think). That's a whole search for the best books but, really, I think the SOUTH BEACH DIET is best for nutritional wisdom.

But, lyme patients also do best avoiding even a trace of gluten. That will also decrease sugar cravings. Did for me.

I think sugar craving is the body's way of saying it REALLY needs something now. It is best to not ignore that - however - as you suspect, something might be getting lost in translation.

But, no doubt about it, our bodies DO need glucose. It's just best when converted from REAL foods.

There are times, though that straight sugar can save a life. Porphyria, a genetic (but also likely acquired) condition of deficient liver enzymes can create a toxic stew of excess porphyrins in the body.

Glucose in the diet can help prevent an emergency. But so can beta carotene (and Spirulina can be best). Still, for those with porphryia, in an acute attack, IV Glucose or an IV Heme product may be required to prevent death.

However, a smart diet can often prevent the danger zone from erupting.

THE SOUTH BEACH DIET is very balanced concerning proteins and good fats, both of which help keep the complex carbs at an even keel to keep the brain cells fueled.

Be aware that PROCESSED FOODS are addictive, often even if labeled "healthy" - the refinement of the ingredients are usually too "simple" and turn to sugar.

Also, there are often added ingredients that can be addictive. MSG is one of those. The brain addictive sites light up like a Christmas tree with MSG. Google for all the names.

MINERAL REPLACEMENT is vital. MAGNESIUM is the number one thing. Just getting mag. levels up to optimal can stop cravings.

DARK, DARK, chocolate - no less than 85%, one ounce a day, after a meal or only with nuts, or other protein / fat nutrients.

This is the only sugar in my home. One ounce contains 5 grams of sugar and, really, I never want more than that.

MASSAGE, WATER, MOVEMENT, SINGING, HUGGING . . . all these are also great elements in a health plan.
-

[ 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's important to be screened for diabetes and also to see if there is a pattern of hypoglycemia.

You might check your intracellular magnesium.

A good naturopathic doctor will know much more about this herb, and others that are used with it. They will know if this is right for YOUR body.

Gymnema sylvestre will stop sugar craving instantly when put on the tongue. Then, taken throughout the day as a capsule, it has been remarkable for me.

-------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to Find an ILADS-educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor), or one of a similar education in herbal medicine.

===============================

From ``One Earth Herbal Sourcebook'' (Tillotson)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gymnema-gymnema-sylvestre-.html

GYMNEMA (Gymnema sylvestre)

http://www.raysahelian.com/gymnema.html

Gymnema Sylvestre extract and leaf herbal supplement side effects, health benefit - use for diabetes, blood sugar, research studies by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

http://www.itmonline.org/journal/arts/diabetes.htm

Treatment of Diabetes with Chinese Herbs and Acupuncture

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.

http://www.diabetea.com/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Gymnema%20sylvestre

PubMed Search of medical abstracts:

Gymnema sylvestre: 149 abstracts
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Now, you said you live with others who buy sugar.

Well, I'd say it's time to buy some pretty tins where they keep their stuff. It's not fair to have it in the cabinet or the fridge.

They can have a tin for the fridge and one to put in a cabinet that you never open.

Really, the SOUTH BEACH Diet might be a good thing for the whole household to consider. More fruits (for them, only low sugar ones like berries for you) . . . less and less processed fake foods.

Maybe once they learn more, they'll appreciate your being the ring-leader for a healthful kitchen.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx

SOUTH BEACH Diet (as in food program) site.

You might also see if other members of the household would like to take a class in MEDITERRANEAN COOKING (minus the wheat and the wine).

===========================

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?previousText=stevia&ss=1&x=0&y=0&ntk=products&Ntt=SweetLeaf

STEVIA varieties
-

[ 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This convinced me of the instant muscle weakening power of sugar:
-------------------------------

Each person takes one almond and one peanut M & M:

First, do muscle testing on each other by teaming into pairs.

1) Basic reference test.

First, everyone takes a drink of pure water.

Person A - holds out an arm to hold strong in position, perpendicular to the ground.

Person B tries to push that arm down. This establishes a baseline of strength of person A.

2) Person A takes one almond, eats it, chewing well. Person B then repeats steps above, retesting strength.

3) Person A takes one peanut M & M and chews it. Repeat steps above.

Then, change positions so that Person B is tested.
------------

You could really use any sugary non-food. The peanut M & M was used in the workshop I attended. My guess is to counteract the thinking that peanuts are good protein (which the are) and when paired with sugar, should void sugar's effect (which it does not).

Still, if on occasion a tiny (really tiny) bit of sugar is taken along with a full healthy meal, it can be somewhat balanced.

But, mostly, if the body is getting the fuel, flavor and nutrients necessary, sugar woes are just history. And that's a very nice feeling.

My motto for success: fuel, flavor & nutrients
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Looking back over your first post to see if I missed something,

You wanted somewhere to go for a week to a month.

I suggest a yoga retreat of some kind. This could be an entailed search with key terms also of Tai Chi, Qi Gong, etc.

One that also has a cooking school as part of the retreat program.

I would be careful to avoid any kind of "boot camp" where you are starved and yelled at and pushed toward unrealistic physical torture.

There are MANY nurturing and rejuvenation spas. Some may be very expensive but you might also find some that are very down to earth. Most, I think, might be vegetarian so be sure to check on that if it matters to you.

HYPNOSIS might be a wonderful tool, too - especially good at disarming, reframing and taking the allure out of sugar-laden triggers that rocket at us through media images, family life, work and social settings.
-

[ 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garbagedump---you have told my secrets...sugar....

My son brought home some dark chocolate from Europe and I was amazed when I ate a small bite, it did satisfy my craving.

i would have to clear the house, have someone hide my keys, take all cash out of the house so I couldn't sneak out and buy sugar.....of so painful sounding, yet I know I need to do it.

it is such a comfort....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went on a diet years ago called the carbohydrate addict's diet. it worked.
the idea was to reduce the craving for carbs. the more sugar/carbs you eat, the more you want.
the method was to completely delete all carbs (sugars) except for one meal (your choice of meal)
carbs only allowed in combo w protein and veg, equal amounts.
(so i had pasta, chicken, green beans, OR chicken, grn beans, ice cream)
shockingly, i had no desire for carbs--this limiting to once a day really controlled the urges. sposed to control your insulin, that's why it works.
it helped me tremendously even when i went back to a normal diet i didn't have near the cravings for sugar.

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of that diet, Beth. Nice to hear that it worked for you! For me, if I were to eat ice cream, it would be all over!! [lol] (can't eat just one!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Wow, what a lot of good input!!! I know I've been hard on myself just out of guilt for pigging out on hershey's kisses & ice cream. It does feel more controlled the past 2 days. I'm going to check into these suggestions!

South Beach. Hmmmmm. Dark chocolate, I like that idea!! How about natural peanut butter, no sugar? I eat that a lot with an apple. Wheeee. Twelve step, here I come! panting all the way with this shortness of breath.............

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Peanut Butter has some great benefits - and, of course it would be sugar free if it's "real" -- I think one thing that causes craving more than anything is going with the commercial brands. If there is anything added, it changes the structure of the food and often, that changes the way our brains react.

With the dark chocolate, first, we are talking no less than an 85% and just one ounce. Many "dark" chocolate brands sold are not at all near that. It just needs to be 60% to be labeled "dark" and that is just far too much sugar. Also look at additives. The very best will be more expensive but much more satisfying and really cheaper in the long run as a health aid.

Better yet - to avoid any sugar - cocoa powder in Almond Milk with stevia. For anyone with active candida this would be the best way to go, and even then adding some carob power so less cocoa can be used (it does have caffeine, after all).

Back to peanut butter. Due to the mold issue with peanuts you might do better with other nut butters:

Almond; cashew; macadamia (these last two are very rich so a little is very satisfying. Macadamias contain a kind of fatty acid not found in many other foods, too.

Raw nuts are really just fine the way they are, too. I just heard of one store that has over 80 varieties of nuts. It's good to explore as many kinds as possible, as long as allergy is not a concern - or you have a cold sore flare.

It's good to vary and never eat the same thing more than a couple days in a row.

Tahini (sesame seed butter) can be mixed with a little walnut oil to thin it down, add just touch of stevia and you have a variation on a middle Eastern dessert, Halva.

You can add tahini to garbonzo bean puree, too, for a hot, rich soup. A dab of tahini to many foods changes the experience, usually for the better. It can also be blended for a salad dressing.
-

RubyJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great suggestions, Keebler!

For peanut butter - look for the natural PB made with VALENCIA peanuts. They are grown in dry climates like New Mexico and west Texas and don't have the mold issues of the humidity grown peanuts.

It's hard to break the sugar/starch addiction. Cold turkey is the best way, 1-2 weeks of withdrawal (can even include headaches, weakness, & nausea) then it gets easier.
Eat lots of great protein and good fats.
Meat, veggies, butter!

A good low carb site:
www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/

--------------------
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - LaRochefoucauld

Lyme neuro symptoms for 20+ years.
Infected in Maryland.
Diagnosed with Lyme Jan 2011. (previously diagnosed with CFS, Fibro, peripheral neuropathy)

Posts: 261 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.radiantrecovery.com/index.html
I love this program. The books are Potatoes Not Prozac and Sugar Addicts Recovery. But there's a ton of info on the website too. What I got out of this program was the knowledge that the 4th day is the worst. I always gave in on day 3 or 4 of a low sugar diet. Once I realized it was going to get better after that, I had the motivation to push through.

http://www.maximizedliving.com/Programs/MaximizedNutritionPlans/Overview.aspx
This is another great program. What I learned from it is that most people have leptin resistance. In order to heal that, you must be completely off of sugar until the cravings go away (usually a couple of weeks).

I combined the two programs but basically did go cold turkey, no fruit (except a small amount of green apple or berries), no salad dressings (lots of sugar in those), no carrots, grains, squash, etc.

Once I got through those first 3 or 4 days, it got so much easier, and once I got through the first couple of weeks, I couldn't believe I ever let myself live that way. I just didn't need or want the sugar. The cravings were just gone. Period.

And by the way, I do and did have candida but the cravings still went away. I do have to keep my diet pretty clean or the cravings come back. But I can have more fruit, Ezekiel bread, etc.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could use that program too. I find it SO difficult to stop. More than anything imaginable. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If it's too hard to stop sugar, my guess is that adrenals are very exhausted and that sugar is a call to save a life on a primal level.

Of course, our history tells us that sugar gives us energy -- but it's important to go beyond that and look at if the adrenals are being "fed" -- and also mitochondrial support may be needed in order to get some energy.

Friday's IlADS conference had a bit on mitochondrial support.

Garth Nicolson, PhD (not a LLMD but a researcher) afternoon lecture, talking about ATP Fuel and NT Factor, and NADH . . .

The best foods I've found for adrenals: ashwagandha, cordyceps, Eleuthero, Fish oil, B-5, B-12.

Juicing Veggies can also really cut the craving for processed sugar. Just as there are good fats to replace bad fats, there are "good" sugars, too - in complex carbs that will fuel us if we can make that switch.
-

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I've had a real lag in sugar cravings today. I mean it's managable.....I'm trying to think what I did different. Only thing I ate different today was some of that really dark chocolate. I had about 3 small pcs of it with a banana.

I haven't been hungry for several hours.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! Watch out at night time...AWAKE for me.

How nice to have something that worked.....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement