LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » What's the fastest type of juicing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the fastest type of juicing?
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very tired of making juices all day, and it takes a lot of my time. I'm wondering if there are certain types of juicers that make juice faster and are easier to clean up.

Currently I'm using a Champion masticating juicer. I think it's considered a good one, but I'm not sure.

Are there other types of juicers which are easier and faster to use?

Thanks! [Smile]

[ 10-26-2011, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: James1979 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

BTW, I'm having a mix of cucumber, carrot, and beet juice now for my first time. I highly recommend it! It's like candy!
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a champion and the other I think is an omega. They're both a pain to clean and neither is faster than the other. I bought the omega cuz it can do wheat grass and just haven't gotten rid of the champion yet.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The juicer I have (currently unavailable in the US) is similar to the Juiceman Jr. and is really easy to use and clean up after. I've used a Champion also and they are more difficult to use and clean.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

How about those super-expensive Norwalk types? Are those faster or easier?
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

You can also make smoothie type juices in the blender, which has the added benefits of fiber. Go to you tube and type in vegetable smoothies. Vegetable fruit smoothies also.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh green smoothies are yummy. My fave is cherries (for arthritis/inflammation), spinach (or kale or lettuce but I like spinach best), and a banana. Add water if needed.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
VITAMIX or the BLENTEC are the ultimate machines, in my view because you get the whole foods. Though a bit of water is added to get it going, it's good to cut the vegetable or fruits with some water or coconut milk, anyway.

I think both have payment plans and some reconditioned units with a warranty. I think the Blendtec is more pleasing to have sitting on the counter.

Hearing protection should always be worn by anyone with a room's distance. Always. Antibiotics can lessen the threshold at which noise damage occurs.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you still would want a "slow" juicer so that as many nutrients are retained?

Ie not the kind that is centifugal (sp?). The kind on the documentary. But they are faster so if that is what you want, then maybe a Breville.

I just make a big batch at once and refrigerate it in a big gallon jug. It will not last that long if you are doing a juice fast but I eat meals and add a juice drink to my meal so I don't go through it too quickly (maybe 3-4 days).

I wash all my veggies when I get home from the grocery store so I can use them right away when I cook or juice.

My juicer is a Hurom slow juicer. It is VERY quiet.. you can hardly hear it.. a blender makes way more noise than my juicer. And it is not too slow, actually!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
PenguinGirl has a point. Also consider ONLY a juicer that will also make NUT MILKS. Most do not.

A (or some models of) HUROM will. So will Blendtec and Vitamix and only one of the Jack LaLane Power Juicers (so be clear before purchase).

YouTube has some nice video clips of all kind of juicers. There a very good one there with Hurom and Almond Milk.

I also think the QUIETER, the better. Even with ear muffs, my blendec is very loud and possibly hurts my ears so I tend to not use it as often as I'd like.

I wish I had know about Hurom when I bought mine. Here's their site:

http://www.hurom-slowjuicer.com/
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

I'm getting a little confused. For all of you who suggest using blenders: Isn't the point of "juicing" that there is no fiber, hence the "foods" are much easier for the body to digest, and that they pass through the body much faster?

Thanks for the replies.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some of the blenders are far more than just a blender, with great speed and able to really make a juice, just with fiber.

For juicing, it's best to add back IN all the fiber. Fiber helps keep the blood sugar stable and it helps move out waste from the colon.

That's why I like the Blendtec, it keeps all that together in one pitcher.

It's not a good idea to just consume the juice as it is just too simple of a carbohydrate.

The fiber back in makes it all more complex and it won't cause sugar drops later, even if cabbage is the only thing being juiced, it need the fiber back in, either along with the juice or in other foods throughout the day. Great for soups.
-

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I have a vitamix and love it. We use it everyday. However it is a blender, not a juicer. Yes fiber is good, but if you're after massive nutrients and ease of digestion, juice is the way. If juiced, you could eat several heads of lettuce/greens in a day. You couldn't ever manage that much fiber. Same with the other veggies and fruits. I do think with juice you have to be careful not to get too much sugar, especially if you're juicing fruits, carrots, beets. My champion pulls out all the pulp, the omega not so much, so I do get a little fiber with it. You can always add back some fiber, just go slow, especially if you have digestive issues. Otherwise ... Ouch, you might end up spending too much time in the bathroom.
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I juice and blend. Juicing is great because it is a straight shot of nutrients directly to your cells. Your body doesn't have to work hard to digest it.

Blending is also great. Your body has to work a little harder to digest but it is still great. After my green juice in the morning I have a green smoothie that consists of spinach, kale, pear, coconut water, flax seeds, flax seed oil and protien powder.

I think a nice mixture of juicing and blending is very good for your body. I use a vitamin and love it. Also my vitamin is MUCH easier to clean!

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamix. The auto correct on the iPad changed it to vitamin.
Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you tell me how a Vitamix differs from other high-quality blenders?

I am curious in getting one but just trying to justify the cost!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

A vitamix is like the Cadillac of blenders. It can blend anything. My kitchen aid blender is horrible compared to what the vitamix can do. It is worth every penny.
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

My vitamix also came with a dry canister so I can grind nut butters or fresh flour from wheat berries. Because it is so powerful of a blender, you don't have to add so much liquid. We often make "ice cream" for the kids with frozen fruit and just a little liquid. It comes out thick like ice cream.
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Omega Juicer 8006 but like Penguingirl said, mine too is a "slow" juicer. In reality, they aren't much slower than the others, but they are much more quiet and the lower RPM's Minimize heat built up and oxidation.

I remember researching all the brands and they all seem to have pros and cons but this one won out for me since SLOW and keeping as many vitamins and minerals in my juice as possible was important.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the Vitamix team!

But I also want to try juicing as well, so not much help there.

But the Vitamix blender is very quick, easy and you get the whole foods. I use the Amazing grass powders for wheat grass, protein, etc that has all the organic greens in them- saves me time and going to the grocery store every few days for ingredients.

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Norwalk. I have juiced off and on for ten years, so we knew that we would use it. I certainly wouldn't start out spending that much money.

It is not easier to clean than the centrifugal. I don't know how Champion juicers are to clean, but my Norwalk replaced my Breville.

The hardest part of cleaning the Norwalk is rinsing out the bags (but at least you don't have to scrub the blade of the centrifugal!!) .... but that really only takes about a minute per bag, LOL. I just rinse everything and let it sit to dry. Then I wipe down the press. From start to finish it takes me less than 30 minutes to make juice (probably closer to 20 min). I can make fruit juice in less than ten minutes because you skip the masticating part.

If I cleaned all the veggies in advance, I could make it even faster.

I think no matter what juicer you get, you're probably looking at 20 minutes from start to finish.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Thanks a lot to everyone for their advice!!

I did a ton of research, and I think I'm gonna get an Omega VRT-350HD. Has anyone used that one? It looks pretty amazing. There's a comparison video of that one vs. my current Champion, and the VRT kicked the Champion's butt in every comparison.

I know it's expensive, but time is also money - plus the VRT extracts more juice from the veggies, so eventually it'll end up "paying for itself".

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

That's the one I have. The only thing I dont like about it is that it lets a lot of pulp through. I just got used to drinking my juice with a little pulp. But if you wanting smooth like what you get from the champion, you'd have to pour it through a strainer.
James1979
Unregistered

Oh my goodness, JLP! That's so awesome that you have both of them! Can you please answer some questions?

I don't like the champion because it's super slow and sometimes I even have to clean the auger in the middle of juicing. Also it creates a lot of foam, but that's not a big deal for me. It's mostly the amount of time that it takes.

The videos I've seen on youtube show that the vrt350 is faster than the champion. Would you agree that it's faster to juice with the omega? Also it seems a lot easier, since you don't have to push the veggies down manually. Sometimes I'd have to use both hands to push the veggies through the champion. It gets annoying! Would you agree that it's easier to juice in the omega?

Also I don't think the champion is good for greens. Do you think the vrt350 handles the greens better? I got Champion's new greens attachment, and it should be coming in a few days. But I just don't have a lot of faith in it.

Have you seen Omega's horizontal-style juicers, which look like the Champion but have a much slower RPM? What do you think about those? I think they would be too similar to the Champion, so I'm guessing it wouldn't offer any benefits.

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I don't really think there's much difference in the time it takes to juice with one or the other. My husband thinks the omega takes longer but they seem similar to me.

The omega creates much less foam.

The omega grabs the veggies and pulls them down. No pushing like the champion. I've juiced probably a gallon of fruit/veggie juice at once and I don't think we had to clean in the middle. Sometimes I pour a little water through to clean it a little if I don't want the flavors mixed.

I never juiced a lot of greens with the champion. I have with the omega and it does great. Works for wheatgrass too.

The other advantage for the omega is the upright design. Mine came with 2 containers that fit nicely under the spouts (one for the juice and one for the pulp), but it's short enough to still fit under the upper cabinet in the kitchen so if you're using it regularly, you can leave it on the counter. It also came with a wire brush for cleaning. There is one spot where food gets stuck and you have to kinda dig at it with a knife but other than that, it's easy to clean.

I havent looked at many other juicers. I mainly got this cuz I wanted to be able to do wheatgrass.

James1979
Unregistered

jlp - I'm curious why people are so excited about wheatgrass. I assume it must be very healthy.

Do you grow your own wheatgrass at home? I saw some wheatgrass kits at the place I might buy the juicer.

BTW Thanks a TON for answering my questions!! [kiss]

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I bought a set up to grow wheatgrass, but haven't done it yet. I got too sick to do it shortly after I bought it. I plan to get back at it sometime soon. I don't remember all the benefits right now.
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUESTION-- When you first start juicing do you need to go really slow? I feel much more foggy since Ive been juicing. If its causing detox, then I'm fine with that...?

Wondering if its just a coincidence.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Whitney - juicing can definitely cause a detox reaction, because it's so cleansing. So yes, I think it might be prudent to start slow for the first couple of weeks.

Another thing to consider is that if you are making sugary juices, they might be feeding a candida overgrowth (if you have one). This could also cause a reaction.

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

If you are doing a complete juice fast, the lack of protein will make you foggy too.
James1979
Unregistered

good point, jlp. My ND recommends having at least 1 protein shake a day along with the juice fasting.

It's an interesting thought, though. If someone is drinking a ton of veggie juices every day, wouldn't they be getting a high protein intake from the veggies? Not only that, but I thought that raw proteins are much better assimilated than cooked proteins, so then less would be required?

Also I thought that lots of the leafy greens have "complete proteins" containing all of the essential amino acids.

I don't know. I trust my ND, so I figure he suggested the extra protein shake for a reason.

JLP - I ordered the vrt350hd today. I'm excited to try it. Thank God it's from Amazon, and if I don't' like it I can easily return it within 30 days.

I'm guessing it's gonna be a ton easier to use than the champion. Also it's supposed to be a lot better for the greens.

I figure I can use the champion for stuff it's good at, and use the vrt350 for most juicing.. The champion can still make some killer banana ice creams, nut butters, ground coffee beans, etc.

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I dont know. I did a week or 10 day juice fast last year, along with 5 or 6 colonics. It helped some but I wasnt fully debilitated then. I went to an ND for the colonics. I didn't really treat with her, was just referred to her for the colonics. She seemed good though and she's the one who told me that the lack of protein is necessary to get a good cleanse but is hard because of the foggy head. I know greens have a lot more protein in them than people realize.
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
The champion can still make some killer banana ice creams, nut butters, ground coffee beans, etc.

What am I doing with a separate piece of equipment for each of these? I have an ice cream maker, vitamix, coffee grinder and two juicers.
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not doing a juice fast, just adding juice into my breakfast meal. I also added some protien powder to the juice to help slow it's absorption....so it wouldn't hit me hard, but its still makes me foggy!

I'm only doing light greens, like cellery, cucumber and spinach, nothing sweet cause my stomach is very challanged. OK I'll keep it up!

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

I've been using my new Omega VRT350 for many days now, and I just want to say that I really like it a lot! It's MUCH faster than the Champion! And it's a lot easier to use. I'm very glad that I made the purchase, even though it was very expensive.

At first I thought it took a long time to clean the machine after use, but now I'm very accustomed to it and it only takes me a couple of minutes to clean.

Now it's not nearly as stressful as it was before to make juices.

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

[Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement