LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Going back to school...need support

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going back to school...need support
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!
Well, I decided I'm going to do my best to get back into life.

Starting my 5th year of treatment. I've come a long way but still have some ground to make. Babesia is really keeping me sick and because of that, the lyme has taken my memory again.

The thing is, I hate the job I had and I never want to go back there. So, I'm going back to school. I'm scared I'm not ready and I'm jumping in too soon. But, I just can't ever go back to the life I had before lyme.

If I've learned anything, it's that life is too short not to do what you love.

I'm going to school to get my teaching credential. It's a 2 year, on-lune program so I can do my studies at my own pace. It does include student teaching that increases as the program progresses but as long as I can sleep at night, I know I can do it.

I guess it's a little scary getting back in the real world when you don't know how it will turn out. Is it too soon? Will I fail? But, I just can't wait anymore. Once I'm released from disability, I have to live my dream...not go back to being a robot that is abused by my bosses.

I could really use some encouraging words of support...

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say "GO FOR IT"! I recently decided that when I am on my way to being better that I am finally going to go to college. I've only been in treatment for 2 months so it might be a little while.

I have always been a firm believer in doing what you love and I hope you reach your goal. Good luck to you.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Go Girl....

I was in school when Lyme met me. I still miss it.

So go and try it. Sounds like a perfect program.

You will never be sorry you tried...may just get a degree out of the deal!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If people wait to start living again when they are completely well, they may miss a lot when their symptoms never go away forever.

So, trying to find ways to improve your time on earth, especially if it is something you really want to do and can pace yourself......this is a smart way to cope. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEA!! What age group do you want to work with??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindergarten or 1st grade. Thanks for the votes of support! I just hope I don't spend all this money for a degree I can never use.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only regrets you should have are the things you have not done.

I don't know where I heard this, who said it or if that is an exact quote (probably not), but it is something I always try to remember.

Lou, how true that is. So many people say "when the kids are grown, when I retire, when I am completely healthy, when I am making more money", etc. and put off so many things in life.
All of those things may never come and you will have missed so much.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be a great teacher. Just think how much empathy you'll have after being sick for so stinkin' long.

You never want to look back and wish you had. Better to try and fail, then to have never tried at all. But, you'll succeed so no need to care about failing!

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindergarten and first... whew! I'm tired already just thinking about it!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do it!! Failure is not an option and there will be hard days for sure, but you will keep chugging along..

Best of luck and proud that you embarking on this journey.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

thanks so much everyone. I really think if I have to go back to my old job, I'll just die. I loathe it.

One other thing this disease has taught me is that I don't want to "work my life away". Being a school teacher, is not only my dream, but has the added benefit of giving me more time off the spend with my family. I never again want to work 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Life is about so much more than that.

Thanks again for all your support! You all are the best!!

blinkie
Member # 14470

dogsandcats-I was also in college when I got lyme. I was lucky to have a good support of classmates. The final three classes were so hard for me...I couldn't even sit at the desk and stay awake. My teammates got me through and without them I never would have graduated.
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blinkie,

So proud of you girl! You can do this. You deserve it.

Kim

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement