LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I got out of Thanksgiving dinner...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got out of Thanksgiving dinner...
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For 15 years we have hosted every holiday dinner for both sides of our families. The first one was 1 week after we moved into our house and I was also pragnant with first baby.

We have done every holiday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, birthdays and summer cookouts. Everybody has always brought a dish, but it is still a lot of work.

This year we decided we aren't doing Thanksgiving. Our daughter is a cheerleader and has to cheer for our Thanksgiving Day Game against a neighboring town. It is one of the oldest rivalries in the United States and this is the 100 year Anniversary game this year.

There is a big rally the night before and the next day (game day) will start around 6am. So we decided after the game we are ordering chinese and that will be our new tradition until the kids graduate. If family wants to join they are welcome, if not, oh well.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE it! Good for you! That sounds like an awesome tradition. I can't wish your team luck though, because I'm pretty sure it's our team they are playing against. Lol. Good luck to them all, I guess!

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mom2K, that's awesome! Enjoy the game and your fun new tradition!
Posts: 251 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I come to your house?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MamaBear11, that's okay, I understand. May the best team win (ahem, us...just kidding)! I just hope the weather cooperates.

Jimmy1, I will definitely enjoy them both!

Do you think they will be serving turkey fried rice?

--------------------

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For all who want to follow suit, be sure to call now for reservations. Friends called yesterday and several places said their were full up.

Some for Christmas and New Years. Get those reservations in today ! I hear Chinese restaurants are often open for Christmas. Some can "do up" a proper feast, for sure. With advance notice, roasted duck might be available. How festive is that?

[And vegetarians would also receive equal gourmet attention.]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Anytime Randi, door is always open...

Keebler, we're doing take out...

--------------------

linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! I'd rather forget the whole thing and eat Chinese anyday! Whoever called them the holidays must have been kidding.

More work than any other time of the year - at least for us moms.

Have a great time.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a wonderful tradition for your family - your kids will have cherished memories...

Enjoy.!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister called me last week and said she just had too much going on to take her turn this year. Then silence. Waiting for me to offer.
She has no clue. I finally said I'd do it.
Too much going on....hmmm...shaking head and sighing....

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have that problem where I'm not expecting anybody, but people show up anyways. So now I cook just in case people show up. That sucks.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately, I like to cook and so do my girls. We all cook all of Thanksgiving dinner together. Hubby and I get the turkey in the oven, then the girls and I work on the side dishes.

My husband's family comes and NO ONE brings ANYTHING. I've given up asking because they just forget. My MIL does bring a pumpkin pie and that's nice. Fortunately, cooking for 13 isn't much different from cooking for 8. And fortunately, the girls and I think the most fun part is preparing the meals. And, we're better cooks than the rest anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
six, hon, if you ever want any really good southern recipes (from my great grandmother in tennessee) just let me know. i do not share them lightly.

but since you have so many to cook for these special side dishes are great. but they are not lyme friendly. southern means southern...full of nuts, fruit, sugar, adn the pies...oh my...apple with walnut glaze, then there's cranberry sherry sauce, cranberry fluff salad, sweet potatoes with apricots, yummmmmm....

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so nummy sounding randi...it sounds just so so good!
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

my mother was an excellent cook. these are all what we call down home paula deen type recipes.

lots of memories...

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi..I will take a pecan pie recipe...my aunt was from the south and made the best ever....memories....yum.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We go out to eat .. our tradition for the past 15 yrs since family is 650 miles away.

Beats cooking any day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My pecan pie "light"

Lighted oven roasted or pan toasted pecans with spices of choice;

A very light drizzle of excellent honey; splash of vanilla.

Yummm. I put in a small fancy dish and that makes it seem more festive. A surprising small amount takes me pretty close to heaven on special occasions.

Cubes of roasted spiced yam make this yet another delight all together.

I'm thinking that a warm spiced apple butter (or pumpkin butter) might also make a nice variation of this (but those can loaded with regular sugar or corn syrup).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm wondering if perhaps just cheating for one day out of the year won't hurt. we suffer all year long and it's a shame sometimes to deprive ourselves of every single thing.

--------------------

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always host for my husband's family and my mom. I prefer my cooking. I don't even have them bring anything other than beer.

Once, we got this frozen vegetable concoction with cheez whiz. So, I suggested dessert the next year. my SIL walked in here with mrs. Smith pies to throw in my oven.

I think we'll cheat a little, but not a lot.

M2M: have a great time. new traditions are always fun.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear, I hear ya!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

wow. my mil does not like me...reason...

my mom always made everything homemade, bread, pies, casseroles, everything...

so one thanksgiving we ate at his parents. she is a terrible cook. she puts pot roasts on the grill!!! and yep store bought pies,etc. she puts eggs in this soupy stuff and calls it dressing. ugh...

well the pies were burned around the edges, i mean black. so she asked why he wasn't eating.

leave it up to a man to say "no thanks, mom, we're eating at her parents later and i know how good her mom's meals are."

ARRRGGGHHHHH....

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

at least he spoke what you had to hold in your head.... [woohoo]

--------------------

Billy Graham

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sisters, who both have nice houses that are very good for entertaining, especially one of them. But they want me to do TG this year because I have never been close enough before to do it. But I have a table that three people can sit at, not 16, and a small kitchen and no help, plus being sick. Nothing like fighting over holidays.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear - Here's my MIL story:

For my first Thanksgiving with my husband's family, I offered to make the cranberry sauce. I made awesome cranberry sauce, from scratch.

My MIL made a "back up" cranberry sauce.

Then, at Christmas, I brought my homemade jam for Christmas breakfast. Nobody touched it. They ate the jam from the store.

I gave up. This year, I'm bringing a baked brie - from Costco! Heat and serve!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Chinese takeout plan.

My husband and I are going out for sushi for Christmas.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and entertain, but every holiday and then some is just killing me. I think we are also going to add in "The Muppet" movie that opens on Thanksgiving.

We have NEVER spent any holiday, birthday or anything just as a family (me, hubby and kids). Even in the delivery room when I gave birth to both kids I had hubby, my parents, his parents, his grandmother, his brother (waited outside during actual delivery) and my best friend in the room with us.

I think it's time for us to at least have one "thing' as our own.

--------------------

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

You don't have to explain. We understand! And we all love your new tradition!!!

I'm also looking forward to the new Muppet movie. I'll probably be first in line!

-

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Honeybaked Ham gift card worth $50, and now I can't find it! UGH!

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 12-05-2011, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement