LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » looks like I got post partum depression afterall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: looks like I got post partum depression afterall
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 13 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had postparum depression with my other 2. The second time it turned into postpartum psychosis. it was very bad. I vowed never to have kids again. But looks like God had different plans.

So went on strong meds right away. Had been really doing fine till a week ago. Now i am feeling really down on myself. I have lost interest in things. I am isolating myself. I am paranoid. Its also like i gave up. i cry. I dont take certain meds cause i am lazy/ who cares. Its my diabetes meds and cholesterol meds.

The pain and fatigue are not helping. my car broke down. My son was dx with pandas etc... broke as a joke. I really thought i escaped it b/c it usually hits the first week for me

I have myself convinced my hubby hates me and will find someone better

These are not rational thoughts.

It just is a crappy thing.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking omega 3's?
Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Do you think it would help?
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and my baby is 4 months old
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a good quality fish oil may be very beneficial for you.

http://omegabrite.com/why/effects.html

Marnie posted about this one before...the very high EPA is good for the brain...reduces inflammation and improves cell wall integrity.

I took a different high EPA fish oil for a couple years, and noticed a big reduction in headaches and body pain.
Country Life Omega 3 Mood.

I'm not a fan of cholesterol lowering meds,
From what I can see, people would do better to take systemic enzymes to reduce inflammation.
So, while no one should advise a person not to take medication prescribed by her doctor, I still think the cholesterol meds are a racket.
It's the inflammation that's causing the problems, not the cholesterol.

Low magnesium may be one of the things that contribute to the depression.
This is something you can do for yourself, get some decent mag. Not the mag oxide.

Also, eat foods high in magnesium.
Almonds, almond butter
Chocolate
Beans, kidney beans, baked beans, bean soup, refried beans, bean burritoes.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ditto to Carol on all counts.

Fish oil good. I trust Carol's brand recommendations. OmegaBrite is also good.

Cholesterol lowering drugs can cause depression and I also think can they can harm in various ways, especially if they lower the healthy fats we take from getting to our nerves - and are a racket.

Inflammation can be managed in much healthier ways. Turmeric, for instance.

Your brain also NEEDS some cholesterol. And your adrenals need some from an outside source every day as your body can't make enough on its own.

Without a little cholesterol in the diet, the adrenals have a much harder time of it. That can cause depression.

Magnesium - and adrenal support might also be very helpful.

It's good that you know this is just an "altered" state and I hope you can still do what you need to to take care of yourself.

But there may be some volunteers in your area who can help. A "doula" or some other helper would be so nice. Can a friend or relative call around and see what help might be there for you?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
While I think a doula is a paid professional, once you get a local contact, you might ask if they know of any one who might volunteer if necessary.

There might also be civic or religious groups in your area who have some volunteers. You might start by calling a retired nurses organization or the like.

Actually, I hope a friend or relative can do some of this for you.

Take care.
----------------------------------

http://www.dona.org/mothers/

DOULA International (in Denver, CO - call (888) 788- 3662

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional

who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.

. . .

Postpartum Doula

* Offers education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum fourth trimester

* Assists with newborn care, family adjustment, meal preparation and light household tidying

* Offers evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents and makes appropriate referrals when necessary

A postpartum doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials PCD(DONA).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug]

I'm so sorry!! [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh merrygirl, I'm so sorry. You know the depression and irrational thoughts are not the real you.

I hope that you are able to get the support and help that you need to get through this. Hang in there, OK.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had postpartum blues after my first baby. It was really a traumatic event. Here was this precious baby I had prayed for and all I could do was cry.

BUT-I did not have a sick child, a newborn, and one with tonsils just out...

You have a full load on your plate and I hope and pray you can get some help. Sometimes because we are do it all women we hate to ask. Ask.......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, omega -3's are very beneficial. The Pharmacist I worked with when I was depressed after my last baby, told me most depression is caused by a lack of omega 3's.

I've been using them ever since! No more depression either, and the stress level had gone up in my life rather than down in the years after. My baby is in first grade this year.

I also am very leary of using cholesterol meds. The top of our hormone cascade is - Cholesterol!! No wonder we have so many people with whacky hormones! They are messing with the substance our hormones are made from.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Sending my imaginary limo, driver and crew over.

They will take care of things while you are away.

You also will be pampered and given a new outlook on life.

Your strength and joy will return.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Thank you all.

had my appts today and the docs agree thats its NOT ppd, but just regular depression from extreme stress. This is good news to me. Not sure why actually.

increased my cymbalta

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Forhot to add that my psych was pretty concerned that i didnt have abx and had been off. First time he mentioned my lyme being a factor.
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You appear to be a very strong woman. Strong women, like many of us on the board, also try to do too much.

Please make sure you whittle away at things that are not necessary. I know you are laughing, with kids, etc. everything is necessary.

Just keep it in your thoughts, give yourself a break when you can.

I like Kam's post the most.
I am praying for you.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending you virtual chocolate. And, no calories to boot.

You've got a full load. You are probably so exhausted you don't even realize how exhausted you are.

Wishing you a speeding recovery. Maybe you get a digital camera and just take lots of pictures.

[group hug]

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually ppd happens right after or shortly after delivery. If you are just getting it after four months I would look into other reasons. It could be the lyme or co-infections coming out more.

My dd is 8months and I have been up and down since I have had her. I was just about in remission before pregnancy and as soon as I had her lyme came back, big time. When my symptoms are bad I get depression. It is not me just symptoms of disease.

Hope you are feeling better. So hard to feel bad when you have little ones. My dd is so active, I love her dearly but I am exhausted! If I only had half her energy.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

My doc said he didnt think it was.ppd, but being off abx and extreme stress.

Was able to.get pcp to give me zith

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sory for the depression Merry.

Just wanted to say my d-i-l is a doula. "MY" understanding is its a birth coach. Not sure they do anything later after words by this date.

Might vary by area,but doulas here help prepare for a more natural child birth.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement