LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » GF/Sugar Free meal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GF/Sugar Free meal
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a neighbor will be helping me out by making a GF/sugar free meal once a week.

I am thinking crock pot or ?

Trying to search the web now for ideas.

Sure hope this works out.

If you have any recipes or places you go to for recipe's, please post.

THX

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amydee
Member # 34832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kam. I am new here. Here is a good website I have been using since going gluten free.

She has gluten free and sugar free recipes. Hope you find it useful.

gfbff.com

Amy

Posts: 33 | From Maryland | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful, kam!!

Let me help you out with the website:

www.gfbff.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenMiddleTN
Member # 35174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenMiddleTN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kam,
If you have a smart phone I found a wonderful app that helps when I want to go out and eat. You can also get this on the web at http://www.findmeglutenfree.com
Good Luck!
[hi]

--------------------
Bite: 5/08, Bulls-eye rash; test:neg. Doxy Treated.
Relapse 5/09: test: neg. Doxy Treated.
Relapse 6/10: back2bake test-neg: Request Western Blot: POSITIVE Currently - 4th round of treatment.
"Sharing my Experience, Strength and Hope."

Posts: 35 | From Middle TN | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

thx Lauren
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A crock pot can be good for some lean MEATS - or BEANS - but veggies will loose all their nutritional value really fast.

The meat or bean dishes can sure be harder to prepare so that would be advantageous.

But I would also ask if they could wash and trim FRESH vegetables that you can just rinse & prepare at the last minute.

Or cut carrots, celery ready for snacking - just always rinse just before eating.

Or, ask them to wash and trim veggies, put in BPA-free plastic bins that have a very tight lid you can burp. Rubbermaid makes some very good one. Then, you can pull from the bin and just rinse and cook.

Maybe you could have 2 sets to rotate.

If they could chop onions and garlic, those should go only into a glass jar with a tight lid.

Having onions on hand is 80% of the job, for me. they make everything taste better but they can be very hard to chop for anyone with hand/wrist issues - or even just energy ups and downs.

RATATOUILLE - can be prepared, and then you can just cook the serving size you want.

Ratatouille recipes differ widely in their herbs and spices so be sure to choose your favorite. If you have them make this each week, you might want to provide the herbs and spices to be sure they are gluten-free and fresh. Even the kind of sea salt you use may be best if you provide that.

Several good links pop up from a search at Google:

Ratatouille "prepare in advance"

------------------------

BAKED CHICKEN - a whole one so you can then boil the carcass for broth.

I discovered that a carcass does not need a huge pot. I use just a 2 quart pot, barely covering the bones. Then, drain and rest in a strainer over another 2 quart pan - to cool in fridge and then put into about 3 - 4 glass jars for the freezer. It's condensed, takes less work and less storage space.

Then you don't get all the plastic from the lining of broth can or boxes.

Maybe your neighbor would be will do to this for you and bring the chicken meat in containers with separate broth ??

-------

http://www.pfaltzgraff.com/farberware-black-pasta-scoop-colander/78090-10,default,pd.html

Pasta Scoop, Colander

because it is so smooth & not wire mesh, it is so much easier to clean.

Rests well over my 2 quart soup pans.
-

[ 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure your crock pot is one that does not contain lead in the cooking pot. Many do, sadly.

Also, if food is cooking a large batch, after some cooling, it's best to put in a wide dish with food no more than 3 inches high, otherwise, it may spoil in the fridge if too much food in one container.

Several smaller, wide containers are better than larger, taller ones. Stacking is discouraged as it can promote bacteria growth.

I pull one or two flat blue ice things out of the freezer to place on newly added food containers as they are put into fridge. I think it helps them cool faster and also keeps the other foods from warming up.

Hopefully, whoever has so graciously offered to cook you a nice dish each week - well, I hope they have excellent kitchen safety knowledge.

Cooked foods are best stored in glass.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement