LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Eggs for Breakfast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eggs for Breakfast
LBS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright...I need some creative options for what to add to my eggs in the morning for breakfast.

I always cook in coconut oil or avocado oil. Add onions and garlic.

What else could I add to create some pizazz??!?!

--------------------
Tick Bite: March 2011
ABX Treatment: August 2011
Diagnosed: September 2011

Posts: 137 | From God's Got This! | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hot Peppers add pizzaz.

Eggs are excellent (be sure they are from "happy" chickens that have organic feed and free range),

just be sure to not have them every single day - it's good to not have ANY food every single day but to rotate. Sardines, salmon, chicken soup are also good breakfast staples.

It's important to have at least two kinds of vegetables with every meal, even breakfast - especially breakfast.

Red Bell Pepper can be a delightful morning addition as is avocado.

A sort of red cabbage and beet "slaw" is another great way to start the day. Season with cardamom - or with toasted caraway seeds.

Get to know all the garden herbs & spices - maybe check out cookbooks from various ethnic cuisines or scour YouTube for cooking lessons.

On my eggs, with sea salt, I like a nice Key Lime Pepper Blend from Spice Hunter. It's not too spicy hot and no fake flavors at all.

Thyme & Rosemary is another option or Herbs de Provence. Rosemary grows year round on my deck (but we rarely even get below 35 where I live).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nru
Member # 35247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like good salsa on mine, and sometimes I toss diced tomatoes and olives in. I don't have lyme, but my ladyfriend does, so I have a mite bit of understanding - not much, but a mite bit.
Posts: 34 | From Minneapolis | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to add some heat and flavor, from curry to more tame spices. Also, sriracha is good on everything. I tend to like things spicy though. I could eat avocados with anything! Add a different veggie every day (peppers, spinach, squashes, zucchini, mushrooms, etc...). Now I want a huge omelet haha

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished an omelet for lunch; I only use egg whites (all natural).

You can add anything to omelets, everything works.

Today I had (olive oil) mushrooms, peppers, onions, cayenne pepper and black pepper [Smile] Truly, try and add anything you like to eat, on your next omelet!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Please don't forget the egg yolks, they are fabulous nutrition and we really do need the goodness they provide. Yes, even their fat. Our brain, muscles, liver, mitochondria, and adrenal glands benefit from egg yolks.

Without a bit of "outside" cholesterol each day, our adrenals cannot work. We can't make all we need and do need a fresh "dose" each day, especially in the morning.

When all is considered, the whole egg really is very well balanced, if the hen is healthy. Eggs from organically feed, free range hens provide better nutrients.

Even then, you have to be very careful where you buy them. Even some "organic" eggs don't get the treatment they deserve.

For a start to an information "egg hunt" Google: Mercola, eggs
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I do agree with you! I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, thanks to my friend Mr. ``Lyme''.

I'm working very hard since (01-01-12) to get both of these down. I have always watched my cholesterol intake since being sick but, it's still high.

I refuse to go on any medications for these two.

What would you suggest?

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get our eggs from the local coop and they are delicious.

Okay, so I try not to eat yolks because I have high cholesterol, should I be eating them? It is strange I have high chol since I am young, haven't eaten red meat in at least 10 years and was vegetarian for the past 8 (recently started eating fish, chicken, turkey).

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I just read recently that the whites have pretty much no nutritional value, all the nutrition is in the yolk. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's what I read.

I love to put fresh asparagus in my eggs. I chop up asparagus and saute in olive oil and fresh garlic for just a couple minutes (just to heat it up) then I throw in the eggs and scramble it all together. When it's done I top it off with fresh salsa.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that cholesterol goes up when we are detoxing, so that is actually a good sign.

Our hormones are made from cholesterol - so we NEED it!

Posts: 2251 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Momekids> Please read this site to see the nuttriional value in the whites.

http://www.helium.com/items/1187161-the-nutritional-value-of-egg-whites

--------------------

lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinach...cilantro....tomato....onion...YUMMM
Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mushrooms, onions, green and red pepper, chicken, olives. practically any veggie..

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The WHOLE Egg is really very good for, even 3 a day. That's 18 grams of great protein and fats that we need.

I think we've been fed a falsehood about eggs and about cholesterol. Eggs are not the problem.
-

nru
Member # 35247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my favorite this morning - smoked salmon, asparagus, red bell peppers in eggs, with some toast and a glass of good orange juice - chop asparagus into 1" pieces, saute in olive oil and garlic till bright green, tolls in chopped bell pepper and some broken up smoked salmon, and the add a few eggs beaten - cook to preference, enjoy.
Posts: 34 | From Minneapolis | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avocado, bacon and tomato omelette. Absolutely the best.

Or, spinach and feta.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Banana Pancakes! I love these and they are SCD legal.

Just mash (and then beat) a really ripe banana in with an egg (kinda like scrambled) and cook in a small amount of butter.

Yummy

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add that Warm hard boiled eggs, sliced, with some turkey or no sugar added bacon. Makes a satifsying breakfast to go as well.

At my worst, I LIVED off eggs - most days I probably consumed 3-6 a day. Hard boiled makes a handy snack and blast of protein to feed your nutrition starved bodies.

Don't believe the hogwash myth that eating eggs will raise your cholesterol. In fact, if you consume ONLY the egg yolk, something in the yolk lowers LDL cholesterol. Can't recall the research behind it but I know it's out there.

Those of you with inflammation pain issues should stay away from the peppers and tomatoes (nightshades).

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie dokey, it's not super healthy, but adding bacon to omelets always makes them delicious! Or ham, if you can find preservative/sulfite free ham.

Are you on the anti-candida diet? Are you on a version that allows dairy?

If you can tolerate it, feta cheese is delicious in omelets. But I've only had it when I was not on antibiotics, and so not as careful about my diet (not that I ate sugar. Just that I ate cheese basically).

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Here's a great site for omelets:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Breakfast-and-Brunch/Egg-Dishes/Omelets/Top.aspx

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement