LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone see the today show today?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone see the today show today?
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 girls from the same high school in upstate NY have developed ticks and twitches, and they are telling them it's due to stress. They can't find anything wrong with them.

Pretty suspicious. I called the school and gave them my number to pass on to the mothers. It's worth a shot right?

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
t thought the same thng.
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH my gosh!! So obvious to US!!

Tics can definitely be a result of ticks!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has also been thought that it was PANDAS
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or maybe the Garisil Vaccine since they are all girls
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link from the show.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/17/10173998-teen-girls-medical-mystery-baffles-doctors

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
jlcd1, good thinking about the vaccine since no guys are dealing with this. I'm also wondering, though, if that might have been just the trigger.

Between the psychiatrist guest and the host, I don't know whose presentation was worse. Such ignorance. I can't believe they say that if the doctors say " " then it must be in their minds.

How condescending but also how ignorant.

Also, the mothers who said no real testing had been done, the host & the doctor guest did not question them further. Ugh.

Is it really so hard to understand that most doctors simply can't know everything and that there are stealth infections, chemical effects, etc. that we just can't know everything about at this point in time.

Yet, there is a wealth of material that is known that is just not even being considered.

The brunette (on screen right) - I had that same reaction as I did to a tetanus shot - and it continued for quite some time. I had undiagnosed lyme then, too, but who knew?

So, yes, this could all be tick-borne infection - some other kinds of stealth infection &/or the Garisil Vaccine - or maybe some other kind of vaccine.

I would still also explore environmental factors that, even if may not be the cause, could have been the trigger. But combination answers would really freak out the medical and "journalism" establishing mindset.
-

[ 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I just called the school and asked that they pass along the websites for ILADS and for LymeDisease.org

I told them that is the same reaction I had from undiagnosed lyme and also from a tetanus vaccine (so that other vaccines should be considered).

The person who answered was very nice and said she would pass along the two links to the parents. Hope she does.

I wish I had first gotten a NY state link for them.

Someone needs to educate NBC (and other journalists) about how to research and report medical issues. They truly failed this interview.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in my area. I am going to try to make contact.
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
What courage they all had. And restraint - I don't know how they could sit there while being called crazy by both Ann Curry and the "expert" doctor.

They were both so very condescending and literally emotionally abusive to the girls and their mothers.

I used to teach journalism and I find this kind of ineptitude by the media just beyond belief and so very dangerous for the public.
-

jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

I know, it's awful. I called the school right after I saw it and they said they would pass my number along. I hope they do, or I hope fatigued15 can find them since they live in the same area.
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could really be any number of things.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlcd1:
or maybe the Garisil Vaccine since they are all girls

-
Gardisil is a big possibility. Or they gave them all the flu vaccine at school.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It could be any number of things, as poppy says.

I'd start by looking at vaccines.

But I'd still want an ILADS-educated LL doctor to do the assessment / evaluation.

I'm thinking it could be any number of things ON TOP OF LYME.

Was for me when my symptoms were like the teen who was most affected with spasms and speech "seizures" - my reaction to the tetanus shot might not have done all that had I not also had undiagnosed lyme and other TBD.

- what both teens are showing is myoclonic seizure activity and no one seems to acknowledge that - not the doctors - not the interviewer.
-

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were on Inside Edition again tonight. What a jerk the psychologist was!

http://www.insideedition.com/news/7509/twelve-high-school-girls-suddenly-suffer-from-uncontrollable-outbursts.aspx

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jlcd1: Good thinking on calling the school. For sure!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking, each of these girls apparently came in contact with whatever is causing this. What do they all have in common? I would hope the Ducks would take a look at that possibility. Plus, they are all girls.

There is a missing link.

It seems the symptoms came on suddenly. They didn't mention any other symptoms, just the tics. Wonder if they have other Lyme-like symptoms.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by RDaywillcome:
They were on Inside Edition again tonight. What a jerk the psychologist was!

-
YEP... and so was Dr Saltz on the Today Show this morning! Psychosomatic my butt! Ann Curry cut her off when she started spouting that crap!

from Inside Edition:

"INSIDE EDITION asked psychologist Dr. Jeff Gardere for his opinion about this medical mystery.

Gardere said, "There could some sort of psychological contagion where, either consciously or unconsciously, these girls are mimicking each other's symptoms."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I cringe for all U.S.citizens with doctors & journalists like this.

My guess is that is all they've heard from their home town doctors and so they put themselves out to try to find out what is going on and just get clobbered all over again.
-

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...mimicking each others' symptoms."

What a Bozo!!

This person went to medical school?!

ANY person could tell you that the same symptoms occuring in a group suggests a similar cause. Epidemic? Environmental? SOMETHING!!

And this guy comes up with psychosomatic and goes on national television?!!

Have we lost our collective minds? And our abilities to question and reason?

The arrogance is astounding. Absolutely astounding.

These poor families.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Check this out! Now mass hysteria? What a Crock!

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10181277-teen-girls-mystery-illness-now-has-a-diagnosis-mass-hysteria

tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gardasil all the way don't even get me started.

I have alot of information on gardasil if anyone wants it let me know.

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am diagnosing all of those Dr's with Mass Ignorance.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlitchyMomma
Member # 35826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlitchyMomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utterly ignorant. I'm not saying it's Lyme, but to seriously accuse the girls of mimicking each other as if it was a concious decision is a JOKE.

Psychosematic is hogwash; makes my head hurt. Doctors can be SO LAZY and blame "stress" when they can't figure something out.

GlitchyMomma

--------------------
GlitchyMomma
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis dx July 2003
Cholecystectomy March 2010
Vit D3 Deficiency 2011
Progesterone Deficiency 2011
Adrenal Fatigue September 2011
Labcorp IgG 23 Positive, IgM 39 Positive, IgM 41 positive January 2012

Posts: 31 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

I'm not saying it's lyme either but I was in therapy and I went to the E.R. with arm and leg involuntary movement.

At first the E.R. doc said it was psuedo seizures and if I DID have seizures, I shouldn't be on Wellbutrin because it can bring on seizures.

I talked to the shrink the next day on the phone and she said I think you might have Conversion Disorder.

You have to understand my daughter is an R.N. and she's the one insisting on me going to the E.R.. I know better now not to even bother because if you have lyme, then they'll come up with any psychological disease to shut you up and get you out!

The story about these poor girls is on facebook and people are putting their 2 cents worth in.

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the odds? Twelve girls, same school, same sx. Gimme a break!

Another thing I've noticed; if you are female, you are more likely to be labeled as a nut.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlitchyMomma
Member # 35826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlitchyMomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
linky, agree totally

--------------------
GlitchyMomma
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis dx July 2003
Cholecystectomy March 2010
Vit D3 Deficiency 2011
Progesterone Deficiency 2011
Adrenal Fatigue September 2011
Labcorp IgG 23 Positive, IgM 39 Positive, IgM 41 positive January 2012

Posts: 31 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubeee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubeee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup call it 'Mass Hysteria' and shut them up - uh yeah- like that is going to work. Shocked by the video, by the ignorance of those docs... utterly shocked... but not surprised. Hope some of the parents' will look into Lyme or other organic causes... geez louise.
Posts: 195 | From - | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's important to realize that most of us have been described as having "mass hysteria" from internet collaboration on lyme websites. Really.

More than one doctor has stated this in articles that make it into what I had previously considered good publications.

Anytime a patient wants answers, or takes it upon themselves to become more educated, then the label comes out as "mass hysteria" - so sad.

Those of us wanting to reach out to these families with details that we consider key, are also seen as part of the "mass hysteria" machine.

We know it's not true but it's important to be aware that most doctors buy into this warped assumption about "lay" persons or lowly "patients" "doing research" and call it "mass hysteria" -- so we all just have to proceed in truth.

The media is all to eager to jump aboard as they elevate their network doctors - and the pharmaceutical industry (national ads) and hospitals who support the (local ads) news media.

I would guess the IDSA is also very much behind this wanting to shut up these girls. They don't want people to know that real medicine can take time and effort.

If they can't hand over their drive by diagnosis then it just can't be, in their small world, anyway.

My guess is that M�nchausen syndrome, and M�nchausen by Proxy - are all over the medical charts of those teens and their parents.

Those labels are awarded often, not just regarding lyme but also with any condition that does not have drive-by-diagnosis status and a take-away Rx.

============================

Not that we know any of the teens might have lyme but it is certainly logical to consider that.

In in that process, not just of considering any stealth infection but all else this could be, it's just a matter of time before M�nchausen's is likely to be tossed about.

Two good articles for anyone going though anything similar:
-------------------

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200708/munchausen-unusual-suspects

Munchausen: Unusual Suspects
- By Pamela Weintraub, published on September 01, 2007

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/592.html

What Pamela Weintraub told the IOM panel (Oct. 2010)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I don't "do" Facebook (it's far too busy and complicated for me), so I do hope those of you here who do, will post key details that I hope the families will see.
-

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/17144
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

http://www.adhd.com.au/PANDAS.htm
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the name of the facebook page about these girls?

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My child was actually mis-diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome. We saw a phsyc doctor for years.

The whole time she really had lyme. I pray these girls get the right help soon!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could be PANDAS, which is caused by strep. Tics are a common sx. Strep is pretty contagious, so they could be passing it around at school.

PANDAS is fairly rare though, at least that's what the md told us, so I wonder if all twelve girls would come down with it at once.

Or maybe it's more common than we think?

Many mds don't believe in PANDAS either. Luckily our pediatrician recognized it.

I wonder if the school is moldy.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10181277-teen-girls-mystery-illness-now-has-a-diagnosis-mass-hysteria

Scroll down and you'll see were they ask what your theory is and you can click on their facebook page.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement