LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Please read: Got a dog; found 5 ticks walking around....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please read: Got a dog; found 5 ticks walking around....
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....both of us. I just got this rescue beagle yesterday; long story short but I was too impulsive. There are some days I can barely take care of myself; thats the first factor. And when I went to walk him several times today, I found a few deer ticks on him and several walking on my pants. It HORRIFIED me. I didn't realize how affraid of woods/grass until today. And I just don't think I can do this knowing theres a good possibility I could be reinfected. Even w/ frontline, dogs can carry them in. If I got bit again? After 13 years already of this disease destroying me? The fear was palpable. Does anyone think I'm crazy? He's a wonderful dog who I know will be adopted; I just can't live w/ the possibility of lyme on top of lyme. People always say to me, "well at least you can't get it again, right?" We all know the truth. I'm in tears. Someone please talk to me.
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a giant German Shepherd and will not give him up. He's my baby.

However, I had him for a few years before I got sick.

I don't think we should live in fear (I plan to go hiking again when I'm able, just with long pants and some insect repellant!), but also this might not be the best time to take on a new responsibility.

As you said, someone will take him in, maybe someone who can devote more time/energy to loving on him! Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not be able to do it. I LOVE dogs and LONG to have one, but you just confirmed to me that I can't do it. I would totally freak if I saw ticks.

And I'm like you, just not able to keep up with a dog right now.

I support you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he has them on him he should be dipped at a groomer or vet to make sure they are gone. He could have fleas too. After that, he should be fine.

Animals that are adopted know that you have saved them. They are so loyal and faithful, you will never again feel alone or forgotten. When your friends are too busy, the dog will always find you the center of his universe. They are very sensitive to your feelings.

When you don't feel like doing anything, the dog will remind you, that you both need a walk, need to eat, need to be taken care of (which is pretty simple for a dog). If you are alone, you really would benefit from companionship.

I sure hope he gets a good home. On the negative side, beagles are very "NOSY" and can take off following a scent, so you have to be sure they are contained in a securely fenced yard. They can be noisy when they are happy or think they have found something exciting, but I think it is cute.

I don't know how I could live without all my animals. I have one old dog left, 3 cats and 8 horses. They have gotten me through a lot of tough times. Two cats that died, used to lie with me when I was really sick to take care of me. They would watch over me while I was sleeping and mew at me whenever I opened my eyes. They tried to groom me. I still miss them.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyones input. I still have my Willy (cat) who is great when I'm sick. But I bit off way more than I could chew with the dog; there is a waiting list for him so it is more fair for both of us if he goes back...
thanks again,
Sarah
and Lymetoo, I nearly lost it when I saw all the deer ticks....terrified me.

Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

moving to general support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a tough one. We had Beagles growing up. They are a nose with a dog attached, but are just so loveable.

I have given into the impulse-thing with dogs too, and lived to regret it.

If I saw deer ticks; I would freak too.

It sounds like he will have a good home.

Take care and God bless.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering whether you could put more tick repellent on the dog to successfully keep ticks off? Like some people are misting with Orange Guard, and I've seen advertisements for Best Buy and All In One - all are essential oil approaches.

So that's my question - have folks been able to successfully protect their pet so no ticks are found on them?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the biggest dog lover and it saddens me to say that I will never get a dog again.

Just so terrified of ticks being brought inside.I just can't go through lyme treatment again.

At least you're able to get him to a good home before you get too attached to him.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I would do the same as you.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lifewithlyme, I totally hear you. I have two dogs who I love dearly. I had never seen a tick before I got them (although I believe one tick at least had seen me since I was undiagnosed for so long) But since my dx almost a year ago, I do look at them differently. They are little tick carriers to me now. We use Frontline religiously, but in a way that puts us humans more at risk cause they don't bite the dogs just use them to hitch a ride into our house. In December my DH woke up with a tick embedded in his back(it has been a very warm winter here) The dogs lost bed priviledges at that point. But still....what do you do?

I even had this conversation with my LLMD. I keep trying to remind myself that we have to live. we can't go into hiding. giving away the boys is not an option for us... it would break my heart. But if they were not "family" already I do not think I would bring a new pet into our house.

Glad your beagle will find a good home.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They featured lyme disease prevention for dogs on our local news this week. It was a major news item.

They interviewed owners walking their dogs in a dog park and all were so concerned about their pet, but no mention of the fact they could get it themselves. Nor did the expert mention lyme in humans.

They mentioned a new med which I don't remember, but here is a link for some.

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dog-tick-medication.html

Doesn't being on doxy prevent it for us humans? Coincidentally I was off of doxy or zith for about a month in November. I got a red ring rash in Dec and never connected it with having walked a dog in November because it was cold then.

I've never worried about walking in the woods since having been infected in 1992 because I thought lightning doesn't strike the same place twice!

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement