LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » UOS question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UOS question
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone new to our local support group asked me a question about UOS. "How did the lady die who is at the end of the movie standing under a tree? She didn't seem too bad. Was it from lyme?"

I don't know the answer. It's been a while since I saw the movie myself and I really don't remember.

I think it scared this person, new to this disease.

Does anyone know the answer and will you please share it with me?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"She didn't seem too bad." Is what is said about most lyme patients, even when at their worst.

I had a couple photos taken on days when I had a 102 degree fever and thought I should have gone to the ER but knew they did not know what to do with me.

I smiled, I summoned up all my good nature and - I looked good. The camera sees the beauty or spark that can shine though - and often not the way a person feels.

While at the time of the first filming, she may have been better, lyme can turn sharply.

Sadly, yes, she died from tick-borne disease complications. Many have. Many.

[I substitute "alert" for "scare"]

It should alert that person. It alerts me. But I know that it could happen to me, too. Lyme can be fatal and it's to everyone's detriment to try to slide that under the rug.

While it scares me, it also fuels me to do all I can for myself, find the best help I can afford and when that is not possible just know that I can only do the best I can do with what I have.

Lyme is very serious. The only way to give it, and ourselves, the respect deserved is to face the facts full on - and do the best we can.

I had put off for a year watching my DVD of "Under Our Skin" because I was afraid it would send me into a depression. I have no way to get medical care and can barely afford supplements. I did not want to feel helpless.

But, the film did not do that for me.

It inspired me. It validates the severity and frailty. It gave me hope that even if I can't do what others who succeeded did, there are many things that I can do to help myself.

Perhaps because I has a very short career in the media (journalism can be an honorable profession) before I became ill - and I love documentaries - I could really appreciate the professional qualities of the film.

I totally saw myself in many of the interviews. That validation is something I've never experienced in any other way this whole time.

Even if I don't make it, that film changed forever how I feel about myself having this "lyme complex" - I'm glad they had the courage to make that film.

I just wish more PBS stations would have had the courage to air it last summer when it was free for unlimited broadcasts to each PBS station.

(The IDSA pressured them and most of the crumbled. It either did not air or aired only once at 3 a.m. in many major markets.)

Everyone should see this film. Everyone. It can change a life in unexpected ways - good ways.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
To honor those whose lives have been cut short by tick-borne disease:
--------------------------------

http://www.lymememorial.org/

The National Lyme Disease Memorial Park Project

A living memorial associated tickborne fatalities

-----------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/16292?#000000

Lyme Disease Obituaries

----------------------------------------

And, remember that many do make it. Some share how:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015820;p=0

PROGRESS & SUCCESS STORIES
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.underourskin.com/

UNDER OUR SKIN documentary website

http://www.underourskin.com/characters

UDATES on some (not all) of those featured in the film. But it's hard to see when their latest entries were posted.

The woman you refer to is not on the website but did have a short memorial note in the added DVD footage.
-

lymenow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i only remember seeing 2 death certificates the daughter of the woman (heart attack) and the blonde womans husbad (ALS). both certificates also said lyme....the cause of both i'm sure.
Posts: 109 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leslie came to the LDA/ILADS conference here in 2008 - she actively worked during it, like collecting comment cards from people, including me.

I recall that she died in her sleep two weeks later.

I think it's really neat that she wanted to come and contribute even though she was pretty sick. I think of her as a person who lived what she wanted to do, and I mourn her passing.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement