LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Possibly moving-need advice on Philly or NJ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possibly moving-need advice on Philly or NJ
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband may be taking a job that would relocate us to the Eastern Pennsylvania area (Philly and surrounding) or New Jersey-Redbank/Trenton and south. I'm trying to get a head start on what places would be best in terms of dealing with Lyme and healing and would also be good places to live for a couple in their 30's and a really cute dog.

I'm looking for spots that have good natural health stores and food co-operatives, acupuncture, yoga, massage therapy, access to environmental medicine practitioners and chelation/IV departments, lyme literate and open minded doctors, support groups (the ones in my area seem to be defunct)....hopefully that paints a good picture.

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance is helpful. I'm a writer and love culture, the outdoors, paddle boarding, biking, hiking with my dog-but am also concerned about exposure.

Thanks!

--------------------
Just a catepillar, full of imaginal buds.

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that NJ and surrounding states have tons of ticks.

Tell me about your dog! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah...be really careful about ticks...i'll email you my phone or you can ask specific questions about nj...its hard for me to type too much

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, NJ has a lot of what you are looking for. But, as people have said above, it has TONS of ticks!!! ANd I do mean tons. Not sure that PA is much better, however, it also has lots. But NJ takes the cake----along with NY and CT. Sigh.

You would have to do everything possible to avoid tick bites. Sorry to deliver the bad news.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Center City Philadelphia is probably as tick free as your gonna get in the N E. Lots of culture, entertainment, great restaurants etc. Whole Foods...Essene.

Nice parks and I see lots of dogs being walked. Everything is within walking distance. I LOVE IT!

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where ever you go you can be exposed. Or not. At least you are educated and prepared, which many folks aren't.

Attention to prevention is paramount in any area of the country. For more information on how to be proactive in reducing your exposure you can review the information at this link.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/hunters-corner

If no support groups are in the area, maybe you could start one!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so far for all the replies. And thanks Tincup for the link on prevention.

I had read that NJ and Penn were pretty high on the exposure list. I sometimes wonder if Michigan is a lot higher than reported for the mere fact that we just don't have the knowledge and awareness or the doctors to treat it. But, thanks to programs like the one Dr. Phil just aired we will hopefully wade our way to enlightenment.

Lymetoo-Tell you about my dog? Of course I'll talk about my favorite being in the world next to my husband [Smile]

She's my rescue. I found her when she was five weeks old on the side of the road all skin and bones and she's been with me, ultimately loyal and shadow-like, ever since.

She's a mix of beagle and shepherd and possibly whippet-35 lbs., loves squirrels and rabbits, shooting like a bullet through the woods after any feral scent, and laughing all the way back home to me, tongue hanging out, and ready for a nap. She is 13 now and has been a huge gift to me during all of this Lyme crap.

She's my kid and I enjoy every moment I get to have with her in my life. Her name is Roemer.

Nice to hear about downtown Philly-that's an area we would be interested in for sure.

--------------------

Posts: 143 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWW... she sounds cute.. and wonderful!! We used to have a beautiful border collie. I still miss him and we don't have a pet right now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

She still looks like a puppy at her age and fools most people into believing that when we are walking her around.

Border collies are so beautiful and regal. There's one in the neighborhood and it's always so friendly.

--------------------

desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have resided in both of the areas you mention.

Ticks are all over the place - no one place is better then the other sorry to say. With that said city is going to be safest in terms of ticks.

In terms of some places to consider moving to based on your lifestyle criteria;

Doylestown, Pa.
New Hope, Pa.
Lambertville, NJ

All three have what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle. Very ecclectic yet professional, crunchy, alternative, friendly, lots of fun places for outdoor activities, dog friendly, cultural/historical. IMO/E DOylestown was my favorite place to live. I miss it SOOO much.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30786

Thanks Desertwind. I'm driving out there with my husband this weekend so we will be sure to check out those places.

I guess the key is to just be as aware as possible since I'll be heading into the hot zone.

Is it so bad there that city parks/lawns are a problem too? Are lawns hives of activity? Or is it the wooded areas?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement