LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Help. Need link to recent article declaring LD as in the top 5 misdiagnosed disease!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help. Need link to recent article declaring LD as in the top 5 misdiagnosed disease!
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot find this article. It was posted recently & released by an organization. what organization was it? I'm sending info to newspapers and must site my source.

Time sensitive...

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was it on a link for youtube, etc?

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ilads.org/

is this it?

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO, it was some sort of organization that listed it as one of the top five misdiagnosed diseases in America. Lot's of people posted about it and I've looked everywhere for it and cannot find the exact article anywhere.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

sorry to be pesky....but on the link, once it opens, there is data as each screen passes

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/29855#000000

"Leading Cause of Vector-Borne Illness
Lyme disease is the leading cause of vector-borne (transmitted by insects) infectious illness in the U.S"

"Lyme disease is frequently misdiagnosed
Lyme disease may mimic multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome"

--------------------

Billy Graham

finallylyme
Member # 33807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finallylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an article sometime last year in AARP magazine that listed Lyme as one of the top misdiagnosed diseases.

--------------------
I have Lyme - but it doesn't have me.

Posts: 70 | From ohio | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
finallylyme was right.
Googled "Most misdiagnosed diseases AARP" and found the article.
Seven listed were Lupus, Parkinsons, Fibromyalgia, Lyme, MS, Celiac, and Chronic Fatigue.

Little info on Lyme and testing says ELISA and Western Blot, but at least it made the list.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Do they mean that it's not really lyme, though?

The term "misdiagnosed" can be deceiving.

The IDSA says lyme is often misdiagnosed (and is really something else, or laziness) & over-diagnosed.

Of course, we have all been misdiagnosed as having other things that, ultimately led to a correct diagnosis of lyme, &/or other tick-borne or chronic stealth infections.

I can't find the link to which this thread directly refers but be sure to read the meaning, use, and agency behind vague terms.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Here's that article in question and I do think they say to consider lyme when one has the symptoms listed in the "Mimics" category.

I'm never quite sure how good awareness is when it's not totally accurate or complete.

Sadly, SO MUCH IN THIS ARTICLE IS WRONG, not just about lyme but about some of the other diagnoses that can be caused by lyme, other tick-borne or other stealth infections.

That they list fibromyalgia is just so off base. As, 99% of the time, fibromyalgia is a constellation of symptoms and it is not the end-all, be-all end diagnosis.

About lyme, they are wrong about the rash (implying that it is always present. They should say it is rarely present - unless that is specifically stated, people will think the rash has to go with it).

Also wrong about the testing.

---------------

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-06-2011/commonly-misdiagnosed-illnesses.html

7 Commonly Misdiagnosed Illnesses

- by: Mary A. Fischer

Many Americans suffer from illnesses that are difficult to diagnose (see "Misdiagnosed: What to Do When Your Doctor Doesn't Know").

We reveal seven ailments that give doctors trouble, identify their symptoms and tell you how to get help if you think you have one.

. . .

4. Lyme disease

A systemic infection caused by a tick bite

Symptoms: Shortness of breath; chest or rib soreness; abdominal cramping, nausea, and vomiting;

bull's-eye rash at bite site; neck stiffness; twitching of face or eyelids

Lyme disease is spread through a bite from an infected deer tick.

Mimics: Mononucleosis, flu, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, depression, meningitis

Tests: If no rash is visible, a two-step blood antibody test is recommended: the ELISA or IFA blood test, followed by the more specific Western blot blood test.

. . . .
------------------------------

See next post for corrections & clarifications:
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For anyone "new" to the consideration of lyme:
------------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (and/or whatever else it might be)

===========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement