LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » snack ideas for candida diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: snack ideas for candida diet
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to come up with snack ideas for candida diet. I think most fruit and nuts are out so I feel I am at a loss for things to snack on. Is cheese ok?

Any snack ideas??

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheese/dairy is not good .. usually grows yeast

I do hummus and chips or celery.

cashew or almond butter with celery

I eat nuts too .. why do you say they are out?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Why are nuts out? Are you allergic? If not, nuts are fabulous, just fabulous. Just not peanuts unless Valencia.

Avocado

Red Bell Pepper

Zucchini or Cucumber slices with dill

Baba Ganoush (as an alternate to TuTu's HUMMUS)

You can also make hummus dozens of ways for variety.

Any other vegetables. Vegetables will save the day. Get to know them all. Get to know all the garden herbs and different oils to drizzle on the veggies.

Can you do a little tart apple or dark berries (but they may be best after a meal - or later on down the line if candida is active).

Nuts - there are over 80 varieties of nuts

Cheese is probably not the best choice other than maybe a GOAT FETA. The milk sugars can feed yeast and cows milk can sort of "gum up" the immune system.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Search:

Mary's Gone Crackers -- for the crackers - NOT the cookies
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way nuts would be out is if they are on the FL1953 diet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, ok I though i read somewhere that nuts were off limits. I'm glad they're not, that makes it a little easier.
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I would go nuts without nuts!! [lol] (or would starve)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bellajo
Member # 28738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellajo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut an avocado in half, take the pit out and some of the flesh (You have to figure out how much to take out.)

Break an egg open in a bowl, whisk it with a fork, season it and add a few chopped veggies if you like, cheese if you are eating it.

Pour the egg mixture into the avocado. Bake it on a cookie sheet in the oven - 375 degrees - until the egg is done to your liking.

Posts: 93 | From arizona | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bellajo
Member # 28738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellajo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some addicting snacks called somersaults and they were shown on Dr. Oz last night.

They are made with sunflower seeds. They do have some wheat flour, so some carbs, but not a lot of carbs.

The best are the chocolate ones. They have very little sugar.

Posts: 93 | From arizona | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain greek yogurt is great. You can add cinnamon if you want it sweet. Eat it with berries or as a veggie dip...
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raw almonds, walnuts galore. Hard boiled eggs are my fave.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be aware. Be VERY aware of ANY additive, whether a food coloring, dye, flavor, etc.:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

hard boiled eggs.. yep

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad for TuTu's reminder.

Since I avoid mayo and all "prepared" condiments (and never really searched for additive-free mayo),

I just sprinkle some finely ground mustard & sea salt, then drizzle some olive oil over the crumbled hard boiled eggs.

Then a gentle dust with Hungarian Paprika. A hotter dash of chile powder would be optional.

You could get fancy and puree the yolks in a food processor. Maybe add a touch of lemon juice to help emulsify the olive oil. Avocado oil would be nice, too. (Just avoid raw egg due to risk of salmonella).

Good any time of the day.
-

gigimac
Member # 33353

I read that we should avoid red meat. That is going to be a big one for me. What's wrong with red meat?
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't eat nuts unless they are soaked in a GSE water bath first (gets off the aflatoxins). Otherwise, I get yeast (very sensitive). So, of course, I do this everyday (luv nuts).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

so i just had hamburger steak with steamed broccoli and boiled white corn on cob with salt, pepper, and braggs amino acids for flavor. Is this an ok anti candida meal??
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Corn on cob.. not so much. I think red meat helps grow yeast... I never understood why.

Catgirl.. aren't they soggy then??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

gigimac
Member # 33353

wow, I don't know if I can live without red meat. That only leaves chicken and fish. i don't eat fish.

I can't live on veggies alone, they leave me feeling hungry an hour later

gigimac
Member # 33353

This may be something I have to ease into. This diet seems so strict. To start out, what are the most important things to avoid as far as yeast?

Hopefully I can start small and work my way to a "perfect" diet. lol!

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are following Dr. B's recommendations, and he says we can eat cheese.

My DD's stomach has calmed way down since doing this diet. She eats cheese and it doesn't make her stomach bloat.

I guess some can handle it and others can't.

We like to get beef summer sausage(we get it cheap at Aldi)and put a bit of cream cheese on top.

We don't do this all of the time because of the nitrates, but it's good for a change.

Also, we like to just melt a cheese stick in the microwave and eat it plain. It's so good.

We make a lot of deviled eggs. We like to put onions, dill pickles, veganaise, mustard in them to give it more flavor.

We use a lot of spices now.

If we have to have something sweet, we try to use stevia.

Honestly, since starting this way of eating, we tend to just skip snacks because we are satisfied and full feeling. I guess it's all of the fat we eat now. My brain loves it!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with kidsgotlyme, you won't have to eat so many snacks once you find the right diet. Your body will be more satisfied when you are eating the right foods as often as you need.

Some people, it seems, can follow Dr. B's diet recommendations strictly throughout Lyme treatment. That alone would make me feel terribly sick. I tried and my doctor got very mad, he told me that I needed to add more complex carbs back into my diet.

So you may need to listen to your body (I was not listening until my doctor spoke...). See how you respond. If you are struggling with yeast you may need to be strict for a period of time. If you feel great, stick with the diet.

If you start losing energy and have trouble keeping your blood sugar up, you may need to add some more complex carbs with your proteins and fats. This is what was happening with me. No matter how much I ate I could not keep my blood sugar up.

I still avoid refined grains and flours and added sugars. They are not necessary or good for anyone to eat. I do eat true whole grain products because my body feels better and functions better when I add these things in.

Ezekiel bread (sprouted grain, high fiber and high protein) is my favorite breakfast. Toast this with some real butter. Goes well with some berries and or a boiled egg [Smile]

I always feel cautious when I share my thoughts and experiences with the diet. I just want you to remember that the goal is to feel better and to get healthy.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Right... get good fats and you won't be so hungry.

Avoid starchy foods.. like pasta, rice, white potatoes, corn, and anything with sugars .. even sugar alcohol.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gigimac,
Its not so much that all red meat is bad -its the processed red meats. Full of nitrates, nitrites, etc.

When beef is grassfed, the meat has omega 3's in it. The corn and soy fed beef is not so good.

'They' just say red meat is bad, without telling us the difference between good natural beef & processed beef.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Thanks manname. Fortunately I do have access to grass fed beef. I will get that.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Lamb, Bison, too.
-

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you just soak them for about 5 or 15 minutes. I think the nuts are sometimes processed in facilities that process peanuts, oats, etc (stuff I can't have), so maybe that's why I need to do it. It works.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lyme alone boosts cholesterol. I imagine cutting beef out will help. I can't eat pork (makes me itch).

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Kidsgotlyme, what kinds of cheese? I can tolerate mozzarella, but not cheddar.

--------------------

gigimac
Member # 33353

i have noticed that I feel bad the day after eating barbeque pork and some other pork items.
I have to stay clear.

I have fallen off the sugar wagon these past few days. I am regretting it. I have been feeling really bad because it's that time of the month which always makes my symptoms soo much worse. It has been raining non stop which makes me feel worse and my son caught a cold and then passed it on to me, which is making me feel even crappier.

So, I have felt like crap and have been depressed and just said well, i feel like crap anyway might as well enjoy some cake and sweet tea.

Ugh I hope this does not set me back too much.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigimac,

For what it's worth....... why eating pork can make some people feel bad.

http://tinyurl.com/77oqxqs

I am also someone that cannot tolerate pork. Whenever I eat pork I feel like crap!!! And until last year I never knew why eating pork made me feel so bad but when I experimented with RBTI I had to test my urinary brix (sugar), urinary salt, urinary ph, saliva ph, urinary albumin, and my urinary urea content fairly often.

And whenever I ate pork those measurements and particularly the urinary ureas will go sky high and my urinary ph would usually drop considerably.

Other foods such as shellfish, nuts and chocolate can cause this to happen to me as well but generally the effects on my urinary measurements are much more subtle from eating those foods than the effects that get from eating pork.

And these affects upon your body chemistry by foods such as pork can easily be measured and verified at home with a refractometer, a conductivity meter, some pH paper and a urea testing kit.

**** And by the way, your water intake can dramatically affect your body chemistry in a negative or positive way as well. For example, if your measurements indicate that your urinary ureas, urinary salt and urinary sugar is high then drinking alot of water would probably make you feel better. But if your urinary ureas, urinary salt and urinary sugar is already low then drinking more water is probably going to make you feel worse.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness/2012/02/22/the-dangers-of-our-water-obsession-with-guest-matt-stone

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You'll be OK, gigimac.. up your probiotics.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like celery with almond butter, or almond butter on rice crackers - simple enough and tasty.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement